• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Nintendo Switch Discussion

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
So, it's finally happening: Nintendo have released on all their main social media channels that their new hardware, codenamed NX, is going to be revealed today at 3PM BST, or 7AM PT/10AM ET. We've spoken about the NX on the site before – most recently, @Doctor Oak shared his thoughts on what the NX means to Nintendo in a news feature.

It's hard to overstate just how important this announcement is to us as Pokémon fans: the rumour mill has been running for the NX for months, and it's very clear that the console is at least in part a handheld device. This means that once the 3DS Pokémon games are finished, the next Pokémon games will be on this new handheld.

However, there's a twist – Eurogamer revealed in July that the NX will consist of a handheld and a base station that you can plug into your TV, which means that you'll be able to play your handheld games on both the device itself, but also on the TV. This means that the long-held dream of main-series console Pokémon games may finally come to fruition – and completely remove the need for Pokémon Stadium-esque games.

Basically, you'll be able to see your Pokémon in glorious 1080p on the big screen.

However, hype aside, this is still Nintendo – and we know there will be various issues with the NX as soon as it's revealed. To that end, @Doctor Oak has produced a handy bingo card, so that we can play a game revolving around all the various ways Nintendo will utterly Nintendo their new hardware.

NX BINGO.png
Click to enlarge.

Obviously, this is a loving lampoon of Nintendo's particular traits, so it's deliberately negative and not meant to be taken seriously.

So, join us, and discuss everything related to Nintendo's future hardware efforts – and all the games they'll (hopefully!) announce between now and March!

Wait, "Wii Music is making a comeback"? You really believe that will happen? Excuse me a moment, I'm going to go joyfully scream because I'm not alone.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I really love the logo animation, it's so freaking adorable ♥ that said, I can't see myself using it as a mini tv console like they were doing sometimes. The screen is way too tiny for me to really enjoy a game like that.

All in all a very cute trailer and I'm more hyped for this thing than I thought I would be~

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
As someone who pretty much only used the Wii U's controller for a screen, I was quite satisfied with this reveal and the apparent direction that Nintendo seems to be going. Of course it's just a trailer and aside from a few actually very exciting reveals, we still only know what these several minutes have shown without any further details, release-date window notwithstanding. Still, color me optimistic with what we have been shown, so far I'm quite happy with the rumors that have proven true... Also new 3D mario platformer, not another 2D cash-in, which has automatically raised the hype level for me.

I'm screeching at the Bingo board, would not be surprised...

Biggest concern for me is the potential high price point making it foolhardy to treat the Switch as a handheld, but then again I've been looking into buying a new smartphone and I'm staggered by the cost when it isn't hidden by a long locked-in plan with a mobile company. I got a relatively inexpensive phone but I've been very cavalier with it. The difference there at least is that I can back up data* to cloud storage and most games are server-side, so if something happens to the phone I'm not out the cost of all the games and apps that were installed on it, Nintendo.**

That peripherals bingo square is making me real nervous, as is the potential for more virtual console stupidity, but I'm cautiously optimistic.

*For real, this is the greatest strength of modding my 3DS or at the very least getting a Powersaves cheating device-- you don't even have to cheat if you don't want to, but you can back up your goddamn saves.
**They got better with tying the digital games to your Nintendo ID, but you'll still lose the save. Many games won't let you back up your saves because then you could dupe items/pokemon.

dear god....300 to 350 bucks!!??!?!!?? thank arceus it isn't final price...
http://www.techradar.com/news/nintendo-nx-price (Nintendo Switch Price: how much will it cost? | TechRadar)
i swear if i have to shove 300 dollars on a system to get a 40$ pokemon game (when said game releases) i'm gonna be one pissed customer....i can get a freaking psp second hand (please dont sue me nintendo...) and persona 3 portable AND danganronpa for a total of 180 bucks!! (psp exclusives mind you....) hell my bro has a psp go or whatever....i can buy it from him and save 60 bucks!!!!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
i can get a freaking psp second hand (please dont sue me nintendo...) and persona 3 portable AND danganronpa for a total of 180 bucks!! (psp exclusives mind you....) hell my bro has a psp go or whatever....i can buy it from him and save 60 bucks!!!!
As much as $350 is a really big ask... you do know that the PSP is 12 years old, right? It's nowhere near a fair comparison. The PSP can't play any Pokémon games, let alone the inevitable eighth generation Pokémon games on Switch, and its specs are absolutely nowhere near the Switch's. Even the Vita, which is a system still in production (albeit barely), is still nearly 5 years old and, again, still can't play Pokémon.

Realistically, the price of the Switch is going to hurt. Maybe it'll drop later on, who knows. But complaining that a brand new system is more expensive than a 12-year-old second-hand system is false equivalence at its most egregious. But even beyond that, you're complaining about a price that is literally a guess, based on absolutely no reliable information. It could be less expensive, or it could be more. That $350 might include games, or a Pro Controller, or other things.

Once it's priced, then complain away. I know my wallet's going to hurt from buying this thing. But until then... maybe hold fire until we have more than just rumour and guesswork?

As much as $350 is a really big ask... you do know that the PSP is 12 years old, right? It's nowhere near a fair comparison. The PSP can't play any Pokémon games, let alone the inevitable eighth generation Pokémon games on Switch, and its specs are absolutely nowhere near the Switch's. Even the Vita, which is a system still in production (albeit barely), is still nearly 5 years old and, again, still can't play Pokémon.

Realistically, the price of the Switch is going to hurt. Maybe it'll drop later on, who knows. But complaining that a brand new system is more expensive than a 12-year-old second-hand system is false equivalence at its most egregious. But even beyond that, you're complaining about a price that is literally a guess, based on absolutely no reliable information. It could be less expensive, or it could be more. That $350 might include games, or a Pro Controller, or other things.

Once it's priced, then complain away. I know my wallet's going to hurt from buying this thing. But until then... maybe hold fire until we have more than just rumour and guesswork?
What kind of specs is the switch going to have? It looks small unless there going to put next gen stuff in there, that will blow my mind.

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
As much as $350 is a really big ask... you do know that the PSP is 12 years old, right? It's nowhere near a fair comparison.
It's the same issue parents complained about when they found out "Super Mario 4" needed a "whole new console" to play and they all started freaking out about that. New consoles tend to be expensive, depending on how they do they'll eventually lower the price, especially if sales drop or never really pick up.

i realize that but ive got my 2ds plus this november im getting sun so my pokemon fill should be covered.....all im saying is IF it is than a 12 year old system with series i love might not be a bad choice...after all the only smt spinoffs we have for nintendo so far are persona q,devil survivor and demikids (gba) the main series smt for 3ds wasn't the best imo id rather play the ps1 remake of persona 1 and that also wasn't good imo but this went off topic this is a pokemon site not an smt wiki....

The Nintendo Switch looks great! There are a lot of critical things about it that I like.

First off, how it works. It looks genius! The controller (for console mode) can be taken apart and can plug into the main console to play on the go (in handheld mode)! You can take it anywhere, and it doesn't look like it has any internet requirement for games. It's so simple, but so great!

Second, the games. I don't really need to say anything about Breath of the Wild, but there are some others there I find interesting. Porting Skyrim is a very interesting choice! It's a game that many gamers hold close to their hearts. They were never able to play it away from the console, though. And for a game like Skyrim, I think that this is a great choice! Now I can fight dragons in the bathroom! Porting Splatoon could also work for the same reasons. Need to go grab a can while in a match? No problem! Just take it with you. And the big thing. The new Mario game. To my knowledge, this is the first footage we've EVER gotten about the next Mario game. And it's a 3D Mario! This seems very interesting and exciting to me. (Mostly because I suck at the 2D Mario games...) In the footage seen, the second shot makes it look a bit like a generic platformer. But the first shot shows a full-fledged desert town! This gets my hopes up! Maybe there will be an interactive overworld between levels. And not like what 3D World did, nooooo! I'm talking SONIC ADVENTURE overworld. Fully fleshed out overworld with hidden areas, neat secrets, and a vast place to explore separating the levels. And you would enter the levels by doing things you can't do before completing others. It seems very interesting! Like most consoles, I think the success of the Switch will largely depend on it's games. I look forward to seeing what else Nintendo (or Sega, if we get games like Sonic Colors on the NX) has in store for us these next few years.

As soon as I saw Skyrim, I was like, "OH."

But, in all honesty, it looks and seems a lot like the Wii U (maybe just somewhat different?)...
But it does seem genius, like @Eeveechu151 had said, where as the controller can be portable, or just a normal console. This time, it seems it can play some different games! I'm kind of nervous of the pricing however: things like this can be a painful hit in money at times, but it's often best to wait a while (right..?), even if hardly anyone uses it anymore, whereas it'll be updated (you still would have to update the system, of course), and the pricing may be lower.
I really don't mind if something that I use will no longer exactly be used by many; I still own a DS Lite!
Anyways, I'm both nervous and excited for the system. And that cover-like thing could probably protect it if something knocks it over (such as, my extremely fat cat who jumps on everything), or if it falls in general.

Looks great and the game anywhere feature looks pretty cool so the big question is. Are all the peripherals we see in the trailer included with the base system or are they only available as additional purchases

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Looks great and the game anywhere feature looks pretty cool so the big question is. Are all the peripherals we see in the trailer included with the base system or are they only available as additional purchases

I'd love it if I could just buy the base system and the two mini-controllers to make it a handheld, seeing as I never play TV console games anyways. That could easily cut some of the cost for me, though I wouldn't be surprised if I still had to pay $200 USD or more for that.

Also wondering if its screen can be used as a touch screen, like a tablet. That would be interesting (though I don't have particularly high hopes for this since they didn't advertise anything like that in the trailer)

i watched the trailer and......*long exited noise* splatoon two!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! mario kart 9!!! and a new mario game!!!!!!!!!... sorry i had to get that out of my system................ i mean... splatoon 2..... i knew that it improved as far as new weapon classes... new clothes... basic stuff... but hair customization... wow...

Last edited:
I have more than a few thoughts on this...

It seems a lot like the Wii U. Not that it's bad, but that's not exactly good either. If Nintendo wants to capture at least a small chunk of the American market they need to (and I really hate to say this) be like a "normal" console. I just hope it has good online capabilities. If it doesn't allow for headset use & partying up/chatting with others I will likely not buy it in the foreseeable future.

Portable is good considering how popular mobile gaming is. This can be a step up in performance for all the iPad and tablet gaming junkies out there. There is the issue of battery life though. We shall see.

I see some people around the interwebs thinking it's going to be generally "inferior" to the current crop of consoles. We don't even know it's tech specs and capabilities yet. Does anyone know how well it will stack up to the PS4 and Xbone? I don't think so. I say wait and see. It may be reasonable to say it till likely not have as "nice" graphics as the current gen as that has been Nintendo's direction for some years now, but who knows? Maybe Nintendo will get it right this time in terms of online capability.

In terms of tech specs, I'll admit I'm not a big graphics guy. I don't mind not having the best looking graphics and framerates. People these days are bitching about framerates and graphics and it bothers me quite a bit. Who cares if it doesn't run a minimum of 60fps @ 1080p? If the game is good the game is good. I was reading some comments on another game site that criticized how the new Zelda game looked like garbage when the dude in the trailer pulled the portable screen out of the dock. Seriously? The game isn't even out yet, much less the tech specs of the machine running it! I swear, the American gaming culture is too damn obsessive about all the wrong things. How about encouraging devs to put stuff into games that you want instead of settling for the same-old same-old (CoD comes to mind) and complaining about how the latest game is framelocked at 60fps? I mean, last I checked 60fps still looks damn good. But I could rant about that all day...

Last point: price. I see people in here are already bemoaning the possibility of it having a $300+ price tag. Someone please remind me how much the Xbone and PS4 started at? :o As far as I'm concerned, if Nintendo keeps putting out quality 1st party games like it pretty much always has and it gets 3rd party support back (they have a list of devs already on board) I think that's the makings of a winner here. If the online capabilities measure up to at least something resembling the PS4 and Xbone standard I think this console would be well worth a $300-350 price tag. I would pay it for sure.

I realize I sound like a Ninty fanboy, but I can be critical too. My main factors include:
-Online capability. Must support headsets and party chat.
-Initial game lineup. Some ports are OK, but don't have over 2/3 of your launch lineup be ports.
-Battery life of peripherals. I don't care about the tablet/mini screen as I will run it to my TV 99.99% of the time. Just give me good battery life everywhere else.
-Price. Yes, I would pay 350 bucks for this if my above conditions are met. If they start it out at closer to $500, that will not be cool. The American public in general won't be liking that either.

OK, I'm done. Thanks for reading. :D

Last edited:
So, it's finally happening: Nintendo have released on all their main social media channels that their new hardware, codenamed NX, is going to be revealed today at 3PM BST, or 7AM PT/10AM ET. We've spoken about the NX on the site before – most recently, @Doctor Oak shared his thoughts on what the NX means to Nintendo in a news feature.

It's hard to overstate just how important this announcement is to us as Pokémon fans: the rumour mill has been running for the NX for months, and it's very clear that the console is at least in part a handheld device. This means that once the 3DS Pokémon games are finished, the next Pokémon games will be on this new handheld.

However, there's a twist – Eurogamer revealed in July that the NX will consist of a handheld and a base station that you can plug into your TV, which means that you'll be able to play your handheld games on both the device itself, but also on the TV. This means that the long-held dream of main-series console Pokémon games may finally come to fruition – and completely remove the need for Pokémon Stadium-esque games.

Basically, you'll be able to see your Pokémon in glorious 1080p on the big screen.

However, hype aside, this is still Nintendo – and we know there will be various issues with the NX as soon as it's revealed. To that end, @Doctor Oak has produced a handy bingo card, so that we can play a game revolving around all the various ways Nintendo will utterly Nintendo their new hardware.

View attachment 387027
Click to enlarge.

Obviously, this is a loving lampoon of Nintendo's particular traits, so it's deliberately negative and not meant to be taken seriously.

So, join us, and discuss everything related to Nintendo's future hardware efforts – and all the games they'll (hopefully!) announce between now and March!
Battery life and FPS might be a problem yet again Skyrim,little screen,Pokemon,big screen. Hopefully, it works out.

I'm hyped af boi. Yep, my spelling was intended. Anyway, I made a booklet just to keep up with the news of Nintendo Switch and I can write them down...THAT'S HOW HYPED I AM. I am pretty much a stalker, but look at this beauty. Glorious and heavenly.

Well hot damn, the idea behind this is rather brilliant. For me personally I've always found it hard to justify buying both a handheld and a console due to not having a lot of money to throw around (and in every case I've always gone for the handheld because Pokemon and being able to take your gaming everywhere is really useful if you do a lot of long travels without driving like I do). So having two in one would really alleviate a lot of those problems for me. Of course its still possible that it will be out of my reach financially, but as we don't have any idea yet, I'm going to remain hopeful (please don't let the £350 be a reality, please).

I'm really digging this console so far with the reveals. Though most people will likely have the main console plugged into the dock, the idea's still gonna be used either way.

As for the specs, you gotta think about it. It can play Skyrim. Skyrim is a very resource-intensive game, and the version used for the NX/Switch is going to be the remastered version. With that, we can expect the specs to be rather huge. For you tech nerds, it uses a custom Nvidia Tegra processor.

The cartridge media is fitting, seeing the portable aspect. It's similar to the (3)DS(i) carts, but not as large. I doubt the NX/Switch carts will be playable on the 3DS, especially considering the 3DS's lackluster specs compared to the NX/Switch's. But, hey, we can dream, right?

The game lineup hasn't been determined yet, but from what we do know, it's looking pretty good so far. For now, I'll give you a list.
  • Zelda: Breath of the Wild
  • Project Sonic 2017
  • Splatoon with new stuff
  • Mario Kart 8 with new stuff
  • Skyrim
  • some Mario game
  • a Pokemon game, eventually
This probably isn't the full list, keep in mind.

Controllers are seemingly the most interesting part. The main controller is a main framepiece with two detachable controllers (the controllers themselves are the real deal). The controllers can then attach themselves to the main console itself (for on-the-go play) or act as controllers all by themselves, though they seem smaller than even a GBm. Luckily, they'll serve to us a Pro controller to remedy those problems, so it's not like it matters.

Overall, the console seems promising alongside its lineup. As long as the launch titles aren't 60% ports, and the console itself isn't crazy expensive, I'll happily get one of these snazzy-looking things.

Anyway, that's my review. Now for some comment replies.
Wait a minute... wait a minute!!!
Am I tripping, or are they bringing back the C-buttons? THE C-buttons from the N64?!
Oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh, oh my gosh!!!! *fanboying so hard right now*
HSDFJSDK C-BUTTON HYPE
(or Sega, if we get games like Sonic Colors on the NX)
Project Sonic 2017 says hi.
I'm hyped af boi. Yep, my spelling was intended. Anyway, I made a booklet just to keep up with the news of Nintendo Switch and I can write them down...THAT'S HOW HYPED I AM. I am pretty much a stalker, but look at this beauty. Glorious and heavenly.
When you're so hyped that it doesn't even look like you are.

Also, the new Mario Kart MIGHT be the NEXT one. King Boo isn't a playable character in MK8.

I know that already, but tracks that are in MK8 are shown in the same shot, so it's likely a port of MK8 to the NX/Switch with added features. The same goes for Splatoon.
Best to wait till March for that, though.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
It's worth noting that exactly none of the games shown off in that video are actually Switch games, and the footage on the consoles was edited on afterwards – this is a common tactic when photographing or filming screens, so it's not as shady as it sounds.

Bethesda and 2K have both come out and said that Skyrim and NBA 2K17 are both unconfirmed for a Switch release, and merely indicative of the sort of thing you'd see. This means that we can't draw too much new from that video in terms of games, perhaps beyond that Nintendo have new Splatoon and 3D Mario games in development (as both showed differences from existing games). Definitely don't hold your breath in the hopes of Skyrim on Switch – it's certainly not a given. :)

Tracks have been re-used across Mario Kart games before. For example, Moo Moo Meadows.
Whoops! Forgot about that. Forget that statement then. >_>
It's worth noting that exactly none of the games shown off in that video are actually Switch games, and the footage on the consoles was edited on afterwards – this is a common tactic when photographing or filming screens, so it's not as shady as it sounds.

Bethesda and 2K have both come out and said that Skyrim and NBA 2K17 are both unconfirmed for a Switch release, and merely indicative of the sort of thing you'd see. This means that we can't draw too much new from that video in terms of games, perhaps beyond that Nintendo have new Splatoon and 3D Mario games in development (as both showed differences from existing games). Definitely don't hold your breath in the hopes of Skyrim on Switch – it's certainly not a given. :)
Well, that ruined the fun. We can only hope, though, right? :)

I've seen this everywhere I really sure this is a problem because it is basically definition of DUMB
because you know how the console games that work on it IT MAY NOT HAVE ALL THE CONTROLS IT NEEDS