• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Nintendo E3 Roundup

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
SMASH.jpg

Capping off the E3 conferences for the week, Nintendo's E3 Direct aired earlier this evening and, although there wasn't a lot of brand new games announced within it, it's hard to say it didn't deliver the goods when it comes to what's arguably Nintendo's biggest release this year: Super Smash Bros. Ultimate.

It's called Ultimate, of course, because it really is the Ultimate version of all Smash games so far. Featuring all 65 characters that have appeared in the entire Smash series as well as a handful of new characters, including Splatoon's Inkling, Daisy (as an 'Echo' character of Peach) and Metroid's Ridley. There are new Pokeball Pokemon, Assist Trophies, items and stages - but it also seems like the game might be as thorough in including all the previous ones as well.

The E3 Direct was otherwise light on new games. Fortnite was finally confirmed for release on the Switch, and indeed is available on the eShop right now. A new Fire Emblem game, subtitled 'Three Houses' will be released next year, and features some new gameplay never seen before in the series and Super Mario Party - a new twist on the Mario Party series, which is out this October.

DfgMiTiW4AEO24m.jpg

In Pokemon news, the Pokeball Plus available for Let's Go Pikachu/Eevee has been confirmed to come preloaded with Mew. If you're looking to buy the accessory to play the new games with, a bundle for $99 USD will also be available with each game bundled with the device.

A playthrough of the games on Treehouse Live also confirmed a few gameplay details of the games. Your rival in the game will be a brand new character and as well as new characters and areas being included in the game that weren't there in the original Pokemon Yellow, there will be some changes to existing characters. Suspiciously, the demo specifically avoided challenging Brock, the Pewter City Gym Leader, possibly indicating that his team might not necessarily be the same.

In addition to physically throwing a Pokeball to catch Pokemon, the berry mechanic from Go has also been included. Tossing a berry at a Pokemon will make it easier to catch, and catching Pokemon has a chance to provide you with more berries as well.

Meanwhile, you can choose to trade in Pokemon you've collected to Professor Oak, similar to the same mechanic in Go. Instead of getting candy named after the Pokemon itself, however, the candies will boost the Pokemon's various stats by one level, similar to the wing items available in the main games.

We also saw confirmation that the Pokemon we saw the trainers riding in the trailer were the players' own Pokemon that they chose as their 'buddy' Pokemon, rather than Alolan style ride Pokemon. That would seem to indicate that Pokemon like Lapras will be required in your team to traverse water routes as well.

You can watch the entire Direct below if you missed it:

Last edited:

sSoul

Previously Swirled
SMASH BROS ULTIMATE MY BOIS. Watch the trailer for yourselves and you'll see the story of how Nintendo has made the perfect game and won this e3 in less than a day.
I AM HYPED AS ALL HECC. EVERYONE IS COMING BACK, SNAKE, WOLF, ICE CLIMBERS, PKMN TRAINER, EVEN PICHU. WE GOT DAISY, INKLINGS AND HOW ABOUT RIDLEY. WHOS TOO BIG NOW? AND SAKURAI FINALLY CATERS TO THE COMPETITIVE SCENE WITH THE PERFECT SHIELD, DIRECTIONAL AIR DODGES(which means wavedashing!!), GETS RID OF DODGE SPAM AND YOU CAN EVEN CANCEL YOUR DASH WITH A SMASH!
Sakurai just went up to all of the haters and silently said, "My children, watch and be amazed. I dare you to complain now." So yeah, TL;DR, I am super hyped.

sSoul

Previously Swirled
Finally a competitive Smash game, and by that I mean it doesn't have to be very carefully modified like other games. *cough cough* Melee(at some point) and Sm4sh *cough cough* and let's discuss DLC real quick since I am 99.9% sure it will be there. This only means more possibilities like indie reps, so characters like Steve from Minecraft. Basically, the possibilities for this game are endless, this truly is the ULTIMATE Smash Bros.

Ridley is already OP, they just displayed his abilities in the Invitational XD (pls nerf)

I am disappointed they don't have Shantae, but at least Inkling and Daisy get to join.

SaiyanDakon

Previously UnovaTrainerGlacier
Yeah...Now you get to be Ivysaur and Squirtle separately. I also think they nerfed Ice Climbers because in WII they were broken like Meta Knight.

sSoul

Previously Swirled
They probably needed Bayo and they need to nerf Ridley. Also Ekita wanted Sonic to have a new moveset based of off SA2, do you agree also what else do you want to see. As for me, I want moves to get drastically weaker when used in succession and also ban those who spam projectiles.

Last edited:
Okay, so my FE fangirl is going to come out for a bit, sorry about that. I'm getting a lot of Radiant Dawn (graphically) and Geneology (gameplay and story) vibes from this game which for me is a big plus. It feels like it's going in a different direction from Awakening and Fates, which I know a lot of people will have a problem with but for me that's a great thing as... well I find personally the gameplay and the story respectively to be very weak in those two, plus the fanservicey nature of it was a bit too over the top for my taste. For whatever reason this feels more grounded. I really hope that there's a lot more "grey" in this story, which is kind of implied by the name Three Houses, but then again Fates implied the same thing and failed miserably. I'm hoping the reason the voiceover (I'm assuming that's Edelgard talking) says the Crests aren't necessary to rule is due to ideological reasoning, perhaps along the lines of Echoes and the class conflict in that game, and not because they're evil McGuffins that corrupt whoever touches them, I'm really bored of that idea.

I'm pretty sure there's going to be an avatar character (the dark green haired guy in the black armour) who might even be the Jagen which is interesting. I'm just hoping that not everyone kisses his damn feet but... I dunno. The avatar character's aren't usually handled well. Him being a teacher seems better though as it hopefully implies he'll take a back seat, but then again there's so many people in the trailer talking directly to him that maybe not. I'm really interested in the game mechanics though, they seem to be trying to push the idea that this is a large scale war rather than just having a small group of elites fighting with those squad mechanics. They're hopefully doing some really interesting stuff with them but we'll have to see how that all works. The inclusion of combat arts also seems interesting, although I hope they've reworked them a little from Echoes since in those games they were heavily weakened by the their inability to double. Sidenote, also seems like the game isn't fully voice acted this time which sucks because damn did I love that.

Anyway, random thoughts aside, I'm pretty curious about this. I wouldn't say hyped, but just intrigued. I guess we'll find out a bit more of it with time. Hopefully they remembered to hire some actual writers.

Omfg this is a blessing jdjddjjhddnjnj

I literally loved this game, and now it's going to have a comeback ;w;

I hope that Robin would be back, I miss being my child djjdjjddjjdcjj (though I don't play Fire Emblem lol)

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
SNAKE IS BACK IN SMASH! WOOOOOOOOO!

The new Pokémon games are gonna have to wait, cause I’d rather get Smash, considering that these new Pokémon games are undercooked reboots of R/B/G/Y. At least the actual new Pokémon games are coming in 2019... but I swear they better not be a D/P/Pt remake. Not after 2 remakes in a row. (If you consider USUM a remake, and counting Pokémon, LGP/LGE)

ClassicNerdd

Previously PikaPower25
The new Smash sounds awesome! I was watching the live stream yesterday and I honestly thought that end scene with Ridley was going to be Waluigi. Like, instead of Ridley taking down those characters, if it was Waluigi, that would've been amazing. I'm honestly sad that Waluigi isn't a fighter.

I’m still a bit disappointed with only having 2 official, new characters—Old characters returning do not count as ‘new’ because they were playable in previous versions of SSB—which those 2 are Ridley and the Inklings... I dunno about Daisy since she’ll just be a Peach skin just like with Olimar and Alph, Robin and Female Robin, Wii Fit Trainer and Male Wii Fit Trainer, and Corrin and Female Corrin. I don’t mind this at all, considering the fact that ALL the old characters are returning, even my favourite one, Pichu which most considered to be the worse but I don’t think Pichu will not be as bad in SSBU. I really hope that these character reveals aren’t the final reveals, I was expecting new characters when they announced SSBU to come but instead they make old characters return, but not as DLCs... Once I buy the SSBU game, it’s most likely that I won’t have enough money left to buy a DLC character.

Last edited:

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
I’m still a bit disappointed with only having 2 official, new characters—Old characters returning do not count as ‘new’ because they were playable in previous versions of SSB—which those 2 are Ridley and the Inklings... I dunno about Daisy since she’ll just be a Peach skin just like with Olimar and Alph, Robin and Female Robin, Wii Fit Trainer and Male Wii Fit Trainer, and Corrin and Female Corrin. I don’t mind this at all, considering the fact that ALL the old characters are returning, even my favourite one, Pichu which most considered to be the worse but I don’t think Pichu will not be as bad in SSBU. I really hope that these character reveals aren’t the final reveals, I was expecting new characters when they announced SSBU to come but instead they make old characters return, but not as DLCs... Once I buy the SSBU game, it’s most likely that I won’t have enough money left to buy a DLC character.
BUT SNAKE! WOOOOOOOOOOOO!

But I do agree. They probably could’ve added more characters. A few I would’ve liked to see are Shovel Knight, Rex and Pyra(Xenoblade Chronicles 2), and WAAAAH- Luigi(as a playable character)

What Did You Do To Snoke?

Previously Ratbag the Coward
Nintendo and GF seem to be catering to the fans. They know the smash bros fanbase have wanted characters like Snake to return again and for Ridley to be added (dont really get that one, but I loved Ridley's boss fights in the subspace emissary in brawl, so i'll take it). In Pokemon Let's Go Eevee and Pikachu, there'll be following pokemon and pokemon actually in the grass, which seems to be a thing people have always wanted since HGSS and the idea of going back to Kanto has been a cult in itself. In my opinion, the future is starting to look bright for Nintendo. People shouldnt be negative about the switch games. And as for going back to Kanto in those games let me make it clear-FRLG was more than 10 years ago and still had outdated mechanics...and HGSS Kanto did too, plus it was half-baked in those Johto games. Just putting my opinion out there.

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
How can you not care about Snake? He’s one of the best characters in the game(he was A-6 in brawl, I think he’ll still be top high tier in SSBU)

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
If they can add Ridley, they can add Sans.

#Sans4Smash

#TobyFoxKnowsJapanesePeople
@Glûk the Bard it makes sense how they can add Ridley considering how Ridley is from Metroid, a game franchise already associated with Nintendo. Sans, on the other hand, has only been affiliated with Nintendo since March, when they announced Undertale would be coming to the Switch. I’m not sure about Goku, and Steve from Minecraft doesn’t really seem fit for a fighting game. However, you have your own opinion, and I’ll respect it.

What Did You Do To Snoke?

Previously Ratbag the Coward
@Glûk the Bard it makes sense how they can add Ridley considering how Ridley is from Metroid, a game franchise already associated with Nintendo. Sans, on the other hand, has only been affiliated with Nintendo since March, when they announced Undertale would be coming to the Switch. I’m not sure about Goku, and Steve from Minecraft doesn’t really seem fit for a fighting game. However, you have your own opinion, and I’ll respect it.
I would say Goku is the least likely, as he is from an anime, not really known from a game and that is out of Nintendo's control. But because Toby Fox could know people from Nintendo, they could add Sans last minute. Minecraft's Steve could work if Minecraft is indeed a port for the Switch. As for Ridley, he is a villain and seems to be a monster, with no personality. He works more as a massive story mode boss rather than a downscaled fighter. It's his size that made him scary.

PopeyPenguin

Previously Mecha Who
Or an arcade machine, that spawns characters from, well, from arcade machine games. It would work well as another assist trophy.
Or, maybe, they could make the training dummy customizable.