• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Ninjask Speed/Baton Passer build

So here is a build I came up with after look at two different/similar Baton Passer Builds for Ninjask.

Name: Ninjask
Type: Bug/Flying
Ability: Speed Boost
Nature: Jolly
Characteristic: Alert to Sounds
EV Spread: 252 HP / 210 Def / 48 Spe
Held Item: Leftovers

Move Set:
Roost
Baton Pass
Protect
Substitute

Basically this a lead Ninjask dedicated to pumping the up the speed for team.
Roost to heal up when needed.
Baton Pass to pass the Speed.
Protect to give time to build up Speed.
Substitute to take some hits.

Any suggestion would be helpful.

I think you would be better served with pumping those Defense EVs into Speed. With Protect and Substitute you won't be taking damage too much.

I wouldnt say that. Ninjask is fast as hell.
Use Protect on the first round then you're likely to be faster than your opponent, and from that you can Substitute/protect till you have enough speed to pass.

Is the characteristic homehow useful?

and I wouldnt put roost and substitute on the moveset. Rather use something like Swords Dance to pass it to another pokemon or a damaging move, to do something about pokemon that try to set up too.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
All EVs in HP and Speed are best for this - that way, you're guaranteed to get a Sub up before being attacked unless your opponent is using first-strike attacks, although typically the most common users of them are fairly obvious so you should be able to anticipate their attacks.

As for the item, Leftovers is a no-no. Liechi Berry or Petaya Berry are best here since after 3-4 Subs you get an Attack/Sp.Attack boost to pass over as well.

Roost isn't really optimal here unless you get a Sub that manages to last more than one turn, and even then it's best to Pass the Sub to someone else so they can come in without risk of being hit. Plus, Roost without a Sub up is suicidal in pretty much every situation since Ninjask will very likely end up getting hit after using it, and the thing has defenses that make tissue paper seem sturdy in comparison. Either Swords Dance or an attack in the last slot is the best option.

Also, Sub + Protect on Ninjask is essentially a guaranteed 6 Speed Boost pass with almost no risk of being hit during it. This combined with the Pinch Berry item makes Substitute essential here.

I'll probably replace Roost with Swords Dance to boost up Atk as well. Leftovers is simply to help Ninjask live long enough to gain plenty of speed regardless of the Protect + Sub.

Is the characteristic homehow useful?
Charactersitics.... every trainer needs to learn about these. I'm suprised at how many people don't know about them.

Charactersitics are just like natures, the help one stat, but unlike natures they do not decrease another. It's not really that much of a difference, you can't even pass them down through breeding. They are helpful when calculating IVs. If an IV calculator doesn't have a place for a characteristic, it is most likely inaccurate.

Anyways, about your Ningask. Looks OK to me, and replacing Roost with Swords dance makes it good. And yes, keep the EVs where they are. A lot of people don't know it's OK to not have 252 EVs in a stat- when the Pokemon is already fast enough.

It's not really that much of a difference, you can't even pass them down through breeding.

Actually 3 IVs are passed down from the parents when breeding - 2 from the father and 1 from the mother. Characteristics just help to determine whether or not an IV is possibly maxed. I can provide a list that shows what people should know about characteristics if that will help anyone.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'll probably replace Roost with Swords Dance to boost up Atk as well. Leftovers is simply to help Ninjask live long enough to gain plenty of speed regardless of the Protect + Sub.

Protect + Sub alternated will easily give you 6 Speed Boosts (the maximum) regardless unless you've taken a large amount of prior damage, and even then 3 Boosts is usually enough to send the Speed of the Pokemon you're passing to through the roof. Leftovers is rendered obsolete here pretty much since Ninjask can't be hit and doesn't need the extra health to Sub more.