• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Nightmare Fuel (Pokemon Species)

Considering this was supposed to be a children's game to start with, back in Generation I, I'm honestly surprised at some of the pokemon they included. Nature may indeed be harsh, but I'm sure long-time and new gamers alike to this series have noticed odd Pokedex entries here and there. I think its safe to say that the game developers had more in mind than the happy-go-lucky world that seemed to be depicted right off the bat in the games and anime both.

As some examples, look at the pokemon kabutops. Half of its Pokedex entries flat out say that it "slashes with its claws and then drains bodily fluids". That's kid-friendly, isn't it? And when that, along with the many other pokemon that are in first generation and even the following ones, is combined with one's imagination; the imagery can get rather disconcerting.

What other pokemon do you think could be the source of "Nightmare Fuel"? Any particular reason? Discuss.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Haunter's licks causing slow, painful deaths to its victims (according to the Pokedex) is probably the most obvious "twisted" Pokedex description in the game. No-one ever really dies in Pokemon games (the movies...bleh, those deaths suck, they just fade away into nothingness) but Haunter just says "screw that, people gonna die!" Even Gengar isn't as nasty as that according to descriptions - Gengar apparently enjoys scaring people for its own amusement, but Haunter actually goes out of its way to kill people. Definitely a sinister and evil Pokemon to say the least.

Shedinja being a soul-stealer with the hole in the back of its shell, and Giratina and Spiritomb being extremely violent and evil respectively are worth mentioning here too.

I'm so glad you made this topic because there are so many trippy Pokedex entries. One of the classic ones go back to Gen I with Parasect's Pokedex entries...let me just copy/paste some of them XD:

Yellow: The bug host is drained of energy by the mushrooms on its back. They appear to do all the thinking.
Crystal: When nothing's left to extract from the bug, the mushrooms on its back leave spores on the bug's egg.
Red/Blue/LeafGreen: A host-parasite pair in which the parasite mushroom has taken over the host bug. Prefers damp places

So...the bug is essentially having it's mind controlled by the parasitic mushroom on its back. It's just as creepy as the real life thing it's based on.

Of course, we can't forget about the later generations. Our newest pseudo-legendary, Sazandora, is a bringer of destruction with three heads (the other two on the arms with no brains) that eat absolutely everything. That's aside from having one of the creepiest designs I've ever seen on a Pokemon (just look as those eyes!!).

Nothing beats Kuitaran's Pokemon White one:

"With it's tongue of fire burning at high temperatures, it melts Ainto's steel body and eats the inside.

I can't look at it the same way ever again...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Edit: Noooo... SlowPokemon replied when I was replying! Both of us mentioned Golbat... XD

The thing really is a creepy bugger, especially considering how BIG it is. Many people already have phobias of vampire bats, too. The PokeDex entries speak for themselves (and imo, Platinum's is actually fairly tame compared to some of the others!).

Red/Blue/LeafGreen: "Once it strikes, it won't stop draining energy from the victim even if it gets too heavy to fly."
Gold: "However hard its victim's hide may be, it punctures with sharp fangs and gorges itself with blood."
Ruby: "Golbat loves to drink the blood of living things. It is particularly active in the pitch black of night. This Pokemon flits around in the night skies, seeking fresh blood."
Sapphire: "Golbat bites down on prey with its four fangs and drinks the victim's blood. It becomes active on inky dark moonless nights, flying around to attack people and Pokemon."

And so on. If you want a nightmare Pokemon, Golbat's definitely a good candidate for one. :p

Golbat also had the WORST Red/Blue sprite, including Exeggcute.

42.png

^LOOK at that thing!

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Gorebyss ~ Although Gorebyss is the very picture of elegance and beauty while swimming, it is also cruel. When it spots prey, this Pokémon inserts its thin mouth into the prey's body and drains the prey of its body fluids.

Marvellous :V

Banette ~ A doll that became a Pokémon over its grudge from being junked. It seeks the child that disowned it.

Run children, run~

Drifloon! It's a cute little balloon that "tugs on the hands of children to steal them away..."
Hypno! "There once was an incident in which it took away a child it hypnotized."
Misdreavus! "It apparently uses its red spheres to absorb the fear of foes as its nutrition."

Found something on Kabutops that sounds kinda creepy...

Red/Blue: Its sleek shape is perfect for swimming. It slashes prey with its claws and drains the body fluids.

Yellow: A slim and fast swimmer. It slices its prey with its sharp sickles and drinks the body fluids.

Silver: With sharp claws, this ferocious, ancient Pokémon rips apart prey and sucks their body fluids.

Fire Red: It swims freely through water. It catches prey with its scythe-like arms and drains the victim's fluids.

Leaf Green: Its sleek shape is perfect for swimming. It slashes prey with its claws and drains their fluids.

Soul Silver: With sharp claws, this ferocious, ancient Pokémon rips apart prey and sucks their body fluids.

Hmm... ???

I don't want my body fluids being sucked out by this:
Spr_1g_141.png

Last edited by a moderator:
Dusclops:

Sapphire: It hypnotizes foes by waving it's arms in macabre manner. It then makes the hypnotized do it's bidding.

O_O

Silver Magpie said:
Banette ~ A doll that became a Pokémon over its grudge from being junked. It seeks the child that disowned it.

Run children, run~

Worse than that, it's an animated, malicious rag-doll capable of ghosting through objects and piercing your very soul. Banette is truly a terrifying Pokemon - it likely evolves from Shuppet not by finding a doll, but by the doll's own cause for vengence dragging the Shuppet into place and the doll's own memories possessing the ghost.

Could you imagine your long-forgotten Barbie doll, with head half-staved in, mud-flecked and skin cracked, crawling to your house in the wee hours of the morning in a bid to re-live the "good old days"?

And I, being the weirdo I am, have Banette as one of my favorite pokemon because it's some possessed doll that hunts down little children because of a grudge and probably eats their souls. :D

Actually one pokemon I found scary was Raticate: Gnaws on anything with its tough fangs. It can even topple concrete buildings by gnawing on them

That is some scary stuff.

And if this hasn't been mentioned before: Drifloon. "It tugs on the hands of children to steal them away." O_O

Scizor's Gold Pokedex entry: It swings its eye-patterned pincers up to scare its foes. This makes it look like it has three heads. D':

Celebi's Silver Pokedex entry: When Celebi disappears deep in a forest, it is said to leave behind an egg from the future. Legendaries cannot breed, Nintendo!

Last edited by a moderator: