• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

News Round Up 13/1/12

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Today has seen a few exciting stories pop up. To kick things off let's start off with the latest C-Gear skin to be released in Japan.

crustlecgear.png

Read More

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Ugh. Once again we're shafted outside of Japan with these event distributions. Why can't they be world wide releases instead of these incredibly restrictive giveaways? This Lucario distribution is likely one of the worst I've ever heard of. I am disappoint. :|

Hopefully it'll be re-released for everyone over the PGL at some point, but that's likely wishful thinking...

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Linkachu said:
Ugh. Once again we're shafted outside of Japan with these event distributions. Why can't they be world wide releases instead of these incredibly restrictive giveaways? This Lucario distribution is likely one of the worst I've ever heard of. I am disappoint. :|

Hopefully it'll be re-released for everyone over the PGL at some point, but that's likely wishful thinking...

C-Gear skin will probably get released outside of Japan soon. Lucario giveaway is just awful, specially when it wasn't ran like that in Japan if I remember rightly.

What makes me more curious is the movie news, I can't wait to see who'll be announced to take the staring role.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
There is literally 0% chance that it's not Keldeo. Come on, this is Pokemon we're talking about. It's hardly an unpredictable franchise.

Apparently a poster from the 15th movie shows all the gangs past pokemon dating back to DP, AG and even the original series.

The 15th movie represents the 15th anniversary of the anime, doesn't it? I remember the Darkrai movie had a montage of the first 9 movies at the beginning of it, I wonder if this one will too.

Its honestly hard to believe the anime is approaching its 15th anniversary. I remember when it was hitting its 10th anniversary...mainly because of that dreadful "Mastermind of Mirage Pokemon" special they aired which horrified everyone because of the change in dub voices...lol.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Personally, I was more horrified by how horrible the episode itself was. If it's to be believed that it was actually written by the Americans, then thank God they haven't been able to write anything else.

Doctor Oak said:
Personally, I was more horrified by how horrible the episode itself was. If it's to be believed that it was actually written by the Americans, then thank God they haven't been able to write anything else.

I think over at Bulbagarden they discovered it was a co-production with 4kids. Which is funny enough, because it turned out to be PUSA's first dub and 4kids didn't even get to do it.

But yeah, the mere fact that a "virtual reality" Mewtwo was in it, Prof. Oak owning a Dragonite out of nowhere, and Misty returning out of the blue....all signs pointed that it was aimed at Americans from like the first year of the show during 1998.

Funnily enough the special also wound up being Misty's final appearance in the series, and if it weren't for that, her final episode would have been AG134 which aired back in 2005. The writers never bothered with the character since. I think that's more proof it was American-centered, because the writers were trying to phase Misty out of the anime at that point down to Tracey levels.

Makes me wonder if we'll get a 15th anniversary special now, but now that Ash has had 8 travel companions, I imagine it would be way too much to expect everyone to return and for the writers to track down their Japanese VA's. Honestly at this point I don't expect to see any of the older main characters ever again outside of montages or flashbacks. The anime has now gone on so long that most kids watching Pokemon today have likely never seen any of the older episodes and thus have no attachment to the older characters.

I guess when a series airs for 15 years, the fanbase is so fractured because old fans grow up and are now in their 20's and younger fans come in who never see the older stuff.

Well, if it is not likely to be Keldeo, why not Melotta? It does have a Fighting/Normal forme which fits the 'swordsman' part well.

As for the Lucario event...D: I wanted one. I guess it is motivation for people who have not bought the game yet to get it soon.