• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Years Resolutions 2014

Status
Not open for further replies.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Yup. New Year, new goals to set but never fulfill. :p So what are your resolutions for this year? Also, were their any resolutions you made last year that you actually accomplished/didn't accomplish but want to try again?

My resolution is to knock out ten items on my To Do List. Top priority is to Platinum Kingdom Hearts Final Mix and Re:Chain of Memories and to finally finish Vol1 of Rise of Team Neos. Yes, I know it'll be five years next week <<;

Things that I fulfilled were getting a BS degree (like that wouldn't happen) and finishing a few Anime and Manga series I had been meaning to get to. The one thing that I wanted to do but did has already been mentioned; more RoTN! D:<

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
My New Years Resolutions? Same as last year's. 1280 x 1204 on the main screen, 1280x800 on the laptop screen.

As for goals for this year? Get a damn job and survive another full orbit. Anything else may or may not just derive from that.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Dual 2560x1440s plus a 1680x1050.

In seriousness: My resolutions are to eat better and to get better at money and conserving it. I also want to get a job but that's not really a resolution, it's been happening for a while. xp So by the end of the year I'll be really healthy and a good cook and I'll have thousands in the bank.

Because New Year's Resolutions always work, right?

Right now, my resolutions include getting over my procrastination slump and applying to at least 1 grad school by next Christmas

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Not quite "New Year's resolutions" but one random day in early 2013 I got fed up with myself and vowed three things: to lose weight, to get back into creative writing, and to socialize more with friends. Of the three, I accomplished the first and third. Guess that's something to be proud of. :'D

This year I've been a determined bugger from the get-go so I've made three new vows: to finally, FINALLY, without fail, get back into creative writing (never been more determined! D:<); to learn to manage my mental health/anxieties better; and to play more video games. Aside from Animal Crossing New Leaf and various Pokemon games, last year was a terrible gaming year for me. So many games left unfinished or untouched. 2014 must rectify this somehow. Maybe? Possibly? Likely won't. But I can dream! </3

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
I'm going to get my butt back into education, obtain a job and improve my artwork. (:
If I can do even just two of them, I'll be happy! ♥

I've been practicing my artwork for some time now but I've not been happy with anything I've completed just yet. I'm in the middle of fan art that is actually turning out rather nicely so here is hoping that I've already took one step forward in my 2014 goals.

I'm very excited about this year - I have a good feeling.
And I'm sure that this year, I'll succeed in doing something that I really want to do! : D

Aimee

Bacon Fairy
Lets see if I can actually stick to a diet this year!
....Actually sticking to a diet is easy......sticking to a workout is hard....

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
I'd say mine should be to stop over-thinking everything I do and just go for stuff… but I know full well that I'd never keep such a resolution. As shown by the fact I'm over-thinking making the over-thinking resolution :D

Bahaha, New Year's Resolutions. I never do those. However, I do have some overall goals that are kind of required due to graduating next year. I have to get those graduate school applications done, get an RA or TA-ship, and get some papers published with my name on them from the labs I'm currently in.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Better grades. Also probably do something about my weight.

Both of these fit under the overarching theme of "making my parents less mad at me". x-x

This year I'm trying to get in the habit of writing more often and to take a crack at one of the various original novel ideas I have floating around-- and to get there I'm working on finishing a pokemon fanfic I started in high school but that I let peter out when I started having cognitive dissonance about the situations I'd set up. I basically rebooted it to resolve that and picked up where I left off in 2007. I'm not posting it chapter by chapter until I'm either finished or reasonably close to the end. 24k words so far and four badges to go.

I've also been struggling with my eating habits since I get terribly hungry at school and I was overeating last year, and the weight gain has made my gender dysphoria get worse than usual. A visit to the doctor established that this is probably due to my blood sugar crashing and that I should try to eat things that will make me feel more satiated, namely ALL THE FIBER, ALL OF IT, and more protein. Since then, without going into too much detail, I've found that eating a lot of fiber has... consequences... and I have a limited appetite for peanut butter, nuts, beef jerky, canned tuna, etc. and other readily available proteins.

Sooooooooo yes. Right now I'm investigating a high fat low carb diet, the infamous ketogenic (aka Church of Bacon) diet, which is supposed to promote satiety while not making the patient feel deprived. I'm trying out some recipes that are allowed under this diet to see if I like them; everything is very heavy on butter, bacon, cream cheese, heavy cream, cheese, etc. so it's kind of mind-blowing. But you're only allowed the smallest amount of carbohydrate from green vegetables and nuts, and any sweetener has to be artificial. That's where it gets difficult.

A lot of people on the diet do things like drink coffee with a bunch of butter (!) in it in order to get the fat they need and once they're "adapted" they feel quite satisfied having butter coffee for breakfast and a small lunch and things like this. There is actually a quite interesting biochemistry behind HFLC diets which is what got past my initial "lol reddit brodiet" reaction.

tl;dr write more, avoid getting so hungry I eat a child, reduce gender dysphoria

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm. Because this is an event-specific thread, I think the best bet will be to create a new one. So I went ahead and did that for you.

Status
Not open for further replies.