• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Impossible/No Thanks New trainer sprites

Status
Not open for further replies.
It'd be great if you should make some more trainer sprites. Now you van only choose from D/P, HG/SS, B/W, B2/W2!

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
No sprites in the correct format exist for XY, so we've never been able to add them, and it would involve creating an entirely new card format to accept XY mugshots/models. All our custom sprites are community submitted, which means we don't control what's submitted, alas.

I wish we could have sprites for all the XY trainers, but that would involve the community submitting some first!

Awoken

Formerly Jason59707
But the reason we can't have sprites for these X and Y trainers is because they're animated. They were sprites from Gen 1-5, but they changed it because of the 3DS's animation skills. So to turn these trainers into sprites is harder than you think.
Edit: There's also the choose to make your trainer sprite a cosplayed of you favorite Pokémon, a video game character, anime characters, custom sprite from gens 1-4, and other ones you may like! (It would be awesome if they added a Mario sprite, though...)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Not quite true, @Jason59707. The Gen 5 sprites were animated, we just got around it by using the first frame. The reason is that all trainer sprites, before Gen 6, fit into an 80x80 frame - but the Gen 6 Sugimori art looks awful if you try and stuff it into a frame that small. The problem is, every single card on the Trainer Card Maker is set up to accept an 80x80 sprite - we can't make it bigger without new cards. We'd have to have people create Gen 4/5-style trainer sprites for everything in Gen 6, something that just hasn't happened yet and is quite unlikely to.

The only other option is to modify the TCM cards to work with the larger Sugimori mugshots. So, let's say some kind soul donates loads of larger backgrounds for us which fit the new sprites at a reasonable size. Here's the next problem: you've suddenly got every single asset on the card being pixel-based, except the trainer sprite, which honestly looks awful. The models on the current cards are borderline anyway.

The Pokémon and badges are fairly easy to fix on my side, I can create new stuff to match the 3D model/Sugimori style, no worries. But we'd then have only a couple of assets for this "new" format - maybe a few backgrounds if we're lucky (or I make them..), and the Pokémon and badges should be fine, but the trainer sprites would suddenly be severely limited because we just couldn't use the old ones anymore - including the hundreds of custom sprites submitted since the TCM started years ago. We'd literally have to start from scratch, which just hasn't yet been worth it.

There's another issue, too: the skill level required to emulate Sugimori's style is far higher than it is to create the sprites we use right now. So our already tiny pool of contributors shrinks to near-zero. And that's the thing that really killed the idea in my mind - we could do it, I could spend hours slaving over the new art (and maybe a code addition to the TCM to choose between new-style and old-style cards), but would that ever be expended beyond the initial launch by the community? Could we ever get to the point where our library is back to the level of variety it is in now?

In a closely related note, there was a suggestion a while ago for customisable trainers, which would possibly help a bit with assets for trainers, at least - I wrote a pretty extensive post about it in its suggestion thread.

Awoken

Formerly Jason59707
What I meant by animated was, look at a Gen 6 sprite and look at a Gen 5 sprite.
See what I mean? In Gen 5, the sprites are speedpainted. In Gen 6, they don't even look like sprites. They're actual human characters. Like Mario, for example.
Jumping_Mario_Artwork_-_New_Super_Mario_Bros._Wii.png

Now do you see?

Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
No, because you've shown me one picture of a sprite, and one picture of a 3D model... The Gen 6 trainers aren't sprites in any way, shape, or form - they're 3D models, sometimes with flat artwork for their battle screens. In either case, what difference does it make to this discussion...? What format they're represented as in-game is not an issue - all of the above would just be standard images for the TCM. The difficulty is incorporating the much larger, dimension-wise, assets into our existing library of backgrounds - and the visual clash that follows when you try.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
As an occasional pixel artist I can assure you that the sprites in gen 5 were not 'speed painted' in any way shape or form - and the gen 6 models don't look like sprites because they aren't - as Teapot here has explained.

Also, show me a human being, in real life, with actual Mario proportions, textures etc - and I will show you to a doctor's office because you've clearly consumed one mushroom too many.

Status
Not open for further replies.