• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Trailer For 16th Movie Shows Off Mewtwo's New Form

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
A brand new trailer for the 16th Pokémon movie, Pokémon: Extremespeed Genesect: Mewtwo Awakens, has been released through the official Japanese Pokémon Youtube channel this evening. The trailer shows off Mewtwo in its new form and the official Japanese site has given a name for the new form, calling it Awakened Mewtwo, although it isn't clear to if that is an official name or something to avoid confusion for readers.

movie%2016%20-%20new%20mewtwo%20forme.png

You can check out the latest movie trailer right here.

This trailer gives us the first proper look at Mewtwo in action and also reveals that this Mewtwo has a female voice actor, not male like the Mewtwo we've seen in the past movies. The movie also showcases some nice looking scenes of Genesect, and gave us some new footage of the Eevee short at the end.

eevee%20evolutions%20-%20eevee%20and%20friends%20logo.png

Interestingly the trailer may also have revealed something about the new Eeveelution, Sylveon. 1:44 into the video it shows the Eeveelutions in boxes which each seem to represent the Pokémon's type, the box Sylveon is shown in seems to have a wing design on it and is shaped like an egg. While this by no means confirms anything at all, it's still worth noting.

Last edited by a moderator:

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
So Mewtwo's gone full on Freiza and is now voiced by an old lady too.

I wonder how the frell are they going to explain THAT discrepancy.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Re: The Sylveon image at the end.

So, people have been speculating that the frame around Sylveon hints towards it being a flying type because of the 'wing' like shape at the bottom.

However:

rok8UVp.jpg

It's not the only instance of similar shapes being used in typings other than flying.

But, more to the point, it's actually very much a 1:1 representation of Sylveon's ears, rather than a 'wing', and the shape of the bubble as a whole is also the same shape as the blue 'inner' part of its ear.

In all, despite every other Eeveelution sporting something that quite closely represents their type (though Espeon and Umbreon seem quite abstract, also), it seems that either Sylveon's type is still deliberately being suppressed through similar imagery, or lends more (or as much as) to the suggestion that it is a new Sound type or Bug type as it does to it being a Flying type.

I can buy the idea of it being a bug type. It would explain the eyes, the beautifly-like Milotic colour palette and the random butterfly 'bows'. It certainly seems to be more likely than flying type.

That said, when every other Eeveelution's 'bubble' is hardcore focussed on their specific type - and Sylveon's comes packing with a representation of the shape of its ears, I can also buy the reasoning for a 'Sound' type too.

I think they're deliberately trolling us along, though, so I'm not putting much stock in anything until they come out and say one way or another, really.

Edit:

Also, just to play devil's advocate on the sound type idea even further:

y6BFfn0.jpg

Sylveon's singing producing this effect could also be a representation of a move or ability related to Sound to Colour Synesthesia.

I'm really beginning to think that Sylveon is a new type introduced to highlight this new 'strengthening bonds' game mechanic. I guess Love would lend itself most to that, although personally I would prefer something else.

Let me clarify what I said earlier, I can’t assume it is not a pure psychic, I am hoping it is not a pure psychic. If it were to be a pure psychic, it would be better of as a new pokémon. Personally, I think it would be cool if it was a psychic fighting!