• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New to RPing

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Well, we typically post a discussion thread up first to see if people are interested. Anyone can start an RP, even newbies, yep. I've joined a few RPs here by non-regulars, so it's fine.

You should probably look around some of our RPs to get a better idea of how we RP, but we never control others' characters unless they give us permission to.

Rules and regulations are in the respective RP boards, and I highly recommend you to read those. ALL of them, ALL the way through. In general though, we don't like single-line or single-sentence posts, so make sure your posts have as much stuff and detail as possible. It's more like writing a fic from multiple perspectives here, imo.

Check out:
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=3234
viewtopic.php?f=18&t=2271
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2362
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=1765
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=3357

for some examples on how to RP here. ^^;

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
This topic really didn't belong on Pokemon Chat. Pokemon Chat is only for Pokemon-related topics that don't already belong somewhere else. Please read the board descriptions more closely when posting a brand new thread. ~:)~

I've since moved this to Pokemon PRP Discussion (aka. here), but if you were referring to non-Pokemon RPs let me know and I'll move this to the general RP discussion board instead.

Dwayna DragonFire

2014 Little Cup Champion
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Role-playing

Other than Shiny's links, this is the only thing I can suggest to help you understand just what roleplaying is. However I have an analogy that might also work.

Imagine you're writing a story about a character, but that character isn't the only one involved in the story. Other people make characters to fit the story in question, writing their own character's story in reply to the first person, or any other character that has been created. This exchange continues back and forth until all players are satisfied with the ending result of the story as a whole.

Hopefully this helps. School yourself well on the subject before you decide to make your own RP or even join one. Make sure you read the rules and that you'd be interested in the RP in question before making a character. Good luck!

Well, I looked over everything you said, Shiny Eevee. Well, except for the links mentioned in a thread titled "RP Guide" by Sem. I clicked all those links, but a page pulled up each time showing a Luxio and a Weedle humping the air. I think I've got it now, except for the part where you can't make anyone else's characters do anything without permission. How do you manage that?

Also, are you allowed to control multiple characters that you made, or just one?
I plan on doing an RP that is in the world of the Hunger Games, but I just want to make sure I have everything down before I begin, I don't want to mess anything up or break any rules.

Sorry for bugging you guys with all these questions!

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I already have one in the world of hunger games, though that's died by two weeks ago. You manage to not control others' characters by just going off what the person's already done and sort of having your character(s) react to them

We do have several RPs where people role play as multiple characters, and you can definitely control all of them. Just your own, of course.

I hope that helps a little?

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Yeah, I need to fix the links in that guide :V

Anyway, the best way to learn is to jump into one, the people in the RP will help you out or tell you if you're doing anything wrong.