• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New smilies

What should we do with the new smileys?

• Keep them

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Revert them back to the old ones

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Provide both: allow the option for people to post either.

Votes: 9 52.9%
  • Keep them

Votes: 7 41.2%
  • Revert them back to the old ones

Votes: 1 5.9%
  • Provide both: allow the option for people to post either.

Votes: 9 52.9%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Greetings peasants! :arr:

We've just replaced our smiley set on the forums with a brand new set, which I'm sure you'll agree is absolutely adorable. ♥
-_- :angel: :@ :blush: @.@ <.> ;_; :'| :( :o ^^ ♥ 8) :3 :O :D >:D :8B: :arr: :p :down: :up: :? >=O ;) :nom:
This thread is a rare opportunity: For a few days only, you can spam smileys as much as you like to test them out :D

Lemme know if there's any problems, it was a bit of a hatchet job getting these to work... :?

Protip: these emoticons were made by David Lanham, who has kindly let me use them here.

Re: New smilies :D

Thanks Petey :D Now I can abuse my >=O and :arr: all I want while you ;_; over it. And plus, I give this update a :up: so keep up the good work, ♥ you.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator

... Replacing less-than-three with a smiley automatically is never a good idea.

And the moe-moe-kyun of these hurts my brain.

Oh, no.

I'm sorry, but I'm with Stel on this one- I don't like the new smilies. Some of these are alright, but others... ♥ is by far the worst one- Less-than-three is a heart. Not a smiley. A heart.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator

Alright, ♥ is now no longer a smiley. It did that by default; I've just changed it to [tt]:love:[/tt] instead.

I've also put up a poll; if you have an opinion on these smileys, please vote in it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I'm missing a typical :) smilie, but otherwise I like them. My vote would be to keep these, but if there's concern - is there a chance we could have both sets?

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
That's bizarre. I'm sure I added one.

Well, fixed anyway. :)

---

EDIT: Put up a poll to let people choose whether we keep 'em or not. The third option is not quite as elegant as I'd like: one set or another would be relegated to being placed between smiley codes, so it'd use [tt]:grin:[/tt] or [tt]:cry:[/tt] - it'd mean choosing them manually, but it's about the best this forum software can do.

While I'm here, I would also like to apologise for my slightly hamfisted implementation of these smileys: they should have been tested properly before going live, and I should have made sure that the ♥ wasn't a smiley, etcetera. So, if there's anything else that people would like changed, please let me know - I'll be happy to serve :)

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
Weeeeeeee ♥

I really do like them. They're different and now that less than three is now just a heart again, I have absolutely now complaints :)

:up:

Yeah um...yeah.

I'm not a huge fan on the new smileys...okay that's an understatement, I don't like them at all. But I like the idea of providing both because a couple of the new ones are actually cute. Plus everyone else seems to really like them, and I don't want to be the naysayer lol.

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Just to let everyone know, I have added the old smileys back. To use them, just enclose your usual smiley in ~s: For example, [tt]~:)~[/tt]

As I have said, it isn't a wonderfully elegant solution: ideally we'd have multiple sets you could just choose to see, but this forum doesn't let us do that.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
This doesn't seem so bad. When you're in the full editor mode all of the available smilies are displayed for you anyways, so people can just click 'em if they can't be bothered remembering the coding.

:up: