1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

New smilies

Discussion in 'Questions and Site Feedback' started by Teapot, Feb 19, 2012.

?

What should we do with the new smileys?

Poll closed Feb 26, 2012.
  1. Keep them

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  2. Revert them back to the old ones

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  3. Provide both: allow the option for people to post either.

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  4. Keep them

7 vote(s)
    41.2%
  5. Revert them back to the old ones

1 vote(s)
    5.9%
  6. Provide both: allow the option for people to post either.

9 vote(s)
    52.9%
  1. Teapot

Teapot Virtual Duck Enthusiast
    Staff Member Administrator

Greetings peasants! :arr:

We've just replaced our smiley set on the forums with a brand new set, which I'm sure you'll agree is absolutely adorable. ♥
    This thread is a rare opportunity: For a few days only, you can spam smileys as much as you like to test them out :D

Lemme know if there's any problems, it was a bit of a hatchet job getting these to work... :?

Protip: these emoticons were made by David Lanham, who has kindly let me use them here.

2. Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator

Re: New smilies :D

:arr: ;_; :@ :angel: are clearly the best ones.

3. Re: New smilies :D

Thanks Petey :D Now I can abuse my >=O and :arr: all I want while you ;_; over it. And plus, I give this update a :up: so keep up the good work, ♥ you.

4. Magpie

Magpie Feathered Overseer
    Staff Member Moderator

:angel:

♥ <---- omg I can't spam < 3 anymore... it becomes a face!

5. Shiny Lyni

Shiny Lyni 2016 Singles Football

SOOOOO CUTE ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥ ♥

Loving them soooo much :D

:angel: :o :arr::'| >=O ;) :nom: :( 8) ^^ -_- @.@ :@

I love these soooo much XD

6. Linkachu

Linkachu Hero of Pizza

:up:

This should be refreshing. ^^

7. StellarWind Elsydeon

StellarWind Elsydeon Armblades Ascendant

... Replacing less-than-three with a smiley automatically is never a good idea.

And the moe-moe-kyun of these hurts my brain.

8. Re: New smilies :D

Oh, no.

I'm sorry, but I'm with Stel on this one- I don't like the new smilies. Some of these are alright, but others... ♥ is by far the worst one- Less-than-three is a heart. Not a smiley. A heart.

9. Teapot

Alright, ♥ is now no longer a smiley. It did that by default; I've just changed it to [tt]:love:[/tt] instead.

I've also put up a poll; if you have an opinion on these smileys, please vote in it.

10. Linkachu

Linkachu Hero of Pizza

I'm missing a typical :) smilie, but otherwise I like them. My vote would be to keep these, but if there's concern - is there a chance we could have both sets?

11. Teapot

That's bizarre. I'm sure I added one.

Well, fixed anyway. :)

---

EDIT: Put up a poll to let people choose whether we keep 'em or not. The third option is not quite as elegant as I'd like: one set or another would be relegated to being placed between smiley codes, so it'd use [tt]:grin:[/tt] or [tt]:cry:[/tt] - it'd mean choosing them manually, but it's about the best this forum software can do.

While I'm here, I would also like to apologise for my slightly hamfisted implementation of these smileys: they should have been tested properly before going live, and I should have made sure that the ♥ wasn't a smiley, etcetera. So, if there's anything else that people would like changed, please let me know - I'll be happy to serve :)

12. Magpie

Magpie Feathered Overseer
    Staff Member Moderator

Weeeeeeee ♥

I really do like them. They're different and now that less than three is now just a heart again, I have absolutely now complaints :)

13. Demelza

Demelza Eevee Tamer
    Staff Member Moderator

No complaints Petey they're cute and really nice. ♥ :D

14. Shiny Lyni

Shiny Lyni 2016 Singles Football

15. Yeah um...yeah.

I'm not a huge fan on the new smileys...okay that's an understatement, I don't like them at all. But I like the idea of providing both because a couple of the new ones are actually cute. Plus everyone else seems to really like them, and I don't want to be the naysayer lol.

16. Teapot

Just to let everyone know, I have added the old smileys back. To use them, just enclose your usual smiley in ~s: For example, [tt]~:)~[/tt]

As I have said, it isn't a wonderfully elegant solution: ideally we'd have multiple sets you could just choose to see, but this forum doesn't let us do that.

17. Linkachu

Linkachu Hero of Pizza

This doesn't seem so bad. When you're in the full editor mode all of the available smilies are displayed for you anyways, so people can just click 'em if they can't be bothered remembering the coding.

18. I like the new smilies :) but I'd like to keep the old ones as well. More = better.