• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Pokémon Revealed: Turtonator

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Today at the Gamescom 2016 event in Germany, a whole new Pokémon has been revealed - say hello to the Blast Turtle Pokémon, Turtonator!

turtonator.png
Hasta la vista, Pikachu.
Now that we've gotten the obligatory jokes about the name out of the way, we can tell you that it's a [type]fire[/type]/[type]dragon[/type]-Type Pokémon with the Shell Armor ability. This creature has a shell that is coated with high explosives - something that is used both defensively and to capture whatever prey it supplements its sulfur and other volcanic-based mineral diet with. Its weak spot - and also apparently the vent for its explosive reactions (because that is entirely how it works) is its stomach. Mine Turtle here gets its own signature move, "Shell Trap" - setting a trap at the beginning of the turn, and should its foe hit it with a contact move during that turn, doing a great deal of damage. Fun with prediction!

It also seems to be mighty fond of exploding while looking at you judgmentally.

Turtonator aside, the event also featured a demo of the Battle Royal system, in which a Pikachu was shown using a new, Normal-type Z-Move with a name loosely translating to "Hyper Sprint Attack" - confirming that Z-moves require an appropriate Z-crystal and a move of the Z-crystal's type to be used.

REALLY?!
I was hyped this week to see what would be revealed. I checked and... its a stupid turtle based Pokémon that is Dragon Type for no reason. It also has a chicken face... WEIRD!
I was expecting something like a new island? Or starter evolutions (2nd stage)? No fear, Chicken Turtle Dragon is here! REALLY?!

Well, this was rather disappointing. Probably because of the stupid design. Which is a shame because the other two Fire/Dragon Pokemon we have look absolutely gorgeous.

I pray to Arceus this thing doesn't become a top-tier threat. Nothing is worse than a shitty-looking Pokemon sitting in the OU department. (Looking straight at you two, Landorus and Rotom-Wash!)

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Same! It's typing is unique, I've been waiting for a pokemon with fire/dragon... so epic
Reshiram and Mega Charizard X say hello.

I am very tempted to use Turtonator on my team but Salandit already has a claim on the Fire-type spot plus it has a more amusing Ability. I guess we'll see in three months when the games come out which Pokemon make it to the final six.

Man, all the hate comments. Not every Pokemon has to be some stereotypical, universally-loved gorgeous/cute/cool/bad-ass/bipedal fighting dog/cat/wolf/dragon thing.

When you look at pretty much every well-made fan Pokemon, they're all overwhelmingly appealing in some way. This is fine, but it's probably one reason why game freak doesn't hire these people despite their talent. Pokemon are supposed to look different, not the same.

Many animals are hated, ugly, ridiculous, seemingly pointless, or just plain bizarre *coughplatypuscough*, but they still exist, and all their evolutionary traits exist to ensure the survival of the species, not to make them appealing objects for humans.

...I honestly don't know why I went so deep into that rant. I mean, I agree that...ahem...Turtonator (Oh Arceus that name) wasn't the most exciting thing revealed to us this time, but I find its signature move to be pretty cool, and I'm looking forward to seeing how it preforms competitively. Hey, if some keys can become monstrous, then why not an exploding turtle dragon?

Magpie

Feathered Overseer
Staff member
My first reaction to this fellow was pretty 'meh' and I made a very quick 'dislike' judgement. However, over the course of the few seconds it took to watch the video I decided I actually quite like it xD

In fact, the more I see Turtonator the more I almost kind of want one... :'|

I do hope it has a cute little pre-evo that's a little dragon critter in an over-large shell, but either way I'm rather fond of this newest addition.

Reshiram and Mega Charizard X say hello.

I am very tempted to use Turtonator on my team but Salandit already has a claim on the Fire-type spot plus it has a more amusing Ability. I guess we'll see in three months when the games come out which Pokemon make it to the final six.

Hello Reshiram and mega charizard X, I didn't forget about you guys... forever x'3
I think it's just sweet to have a fire/dragon type that is neither legendary or a mega.
..plus that name doe.

Actually, forget what I said earlier. This thing's starting to grow on me.

It has that strange charm to it similar to a lot of Gen 5 Pokemon, which is my favorite Gen. Sure, I think its design looks pretty dumb at some points but hey, it's based off an obscure animal I haven't heard of until now. Pretty cool.

UNLIKE GODDAMN ROTOM WASH!

I'm calling it 'Arnold' once I get my hands on it. You know exactly why.

Last edited:
I honestly like it's design and typing. I most likely won't use it on my team but it has potential...

BUT IT'S NAME THOUGH! Perhaps I'm acting a bit immature about this, but my god it sounds like "Turd-inator". Sometimes combining two words don't work out every time.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
It only sounds like that if you pronounce the letter 'O' like you pronounce the letter 'I'.

Obligatory Ahnold jokes aside, it's most likely that it's Turtle + Detonator. Which makes sense for mine-turtle.

It is also based on the Mata-Mata turtle, which actually DOES have a weirdly shaped flattened head, spiky shell and elongated tube-snout. Plus, the thing's tail resembles the actual turtle's neck. So hey, Kudos to Gamefreak for spawning another obscure as hell species as a 'mon. ^^

REALLY?!
I was hyped this week to see what would be revealed. I checked and... its a stupid turtle based Pokémon that is Dragon Type for no reason. It also has a chicken face... WEIRD!
I was expecting something like a new island? Or starter evolutions (2nd stage)? No fear, Chicken Turtle Dragon is here! REALLY?!
Dragons and turtles have a ton of interwoven lore, especially in Asiatic countries, so no huge surprise. As for the rest, keep in mind Gamescom goes on for a few days so more news may come around come the weekend.

Personally I really like this guy, I love turtle pokemon to bits and being based on the Mata-Mata and oldschool turtle dragons is a thumbs up from me. defensive pokemon with a fun move to use with predictions? Even better.

Plus, Mine-turtle is always a win in my book.
mine_turtle_wallpaper_by_yoruboi-d4zjnh4.png

When you look at pretty much every well-made fan Pokemon, they're all overwhelmingly appealing in some way. This is fine, but it's probably one reason why game freak doesn't hire these people despite their talent. Pokemon are supposed to look different, not the same.

Many animals are hated, ugly, ridiculous, seemingly pointless, or just plain bizarre *coughplatypuscough*, but they still exist, and all their evolutionary traits exist to ensure the survival of the species, not to make them appealing objects for humans.

You hit the nail right on the head, my friend.
Love Arnold Turtonegger too, btw.

Same! It's typing is unique, I've been waiting for a pokemon with fire/dragon... so epic

Reshiram.
Mega Charizard X.

I mean, he's great because he's the first of his kind that isn't a legendary or a mega... But he's still the third of his kind.

Dragons and turtles have a ton of interwoven lore, especially in Asiatic countries, so no huge surprise. As for the rest, keep in mind Gamescom goes on for a few days so more news may come around come the weekend.

Personally I really like this guy, I love turtle pokemon to bits and being based on the Mata-Mata and oldschool turtle dragons is a thumbs up from me. defensive pokemon with a fun move to use with predictions? Even better.

Plus, Mine-turtle is always a win in my book.
mine_turtle_wallpaper_by_yoruboi-d4zjnh4.png

The fact that I'm not the only one who made this correlation warms my heart. ASDF movie is still relevant, people.

As for my thoughts, I really enjoy the dragon turtle motif, and have kinda been waiting for a dragon turtle pokemon for quite some time. I also like the uniqueness it brings to the table as a fire/dragon-type. It'd be an interesting defender because he takes neutral damage from fairies, which means people would have to risk bringing their own dragon to duel, or use ground- or rock-types to do the job. This is one of the more solid Alolan pokemon so far in my opinion.

Last edited:
I'd like to see a Turtonator VS Greninja... that'd be cool. Turtonator sounds like a play on words, like a lot of Pokemon (e.g. pignite, pig + ignite, ect.).
Turtle + EXTERMINATOR!!