• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Mythical Pokémon Named in English: Magearna

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yesterday evening the Pokémon Company International quietly dropped the localized name for the recently revealed Mythical Pokémon via their Twitter account. The Pokémon has been given the name Magearna in English. Some new artwork for Magearna has also been provided.

Magearna_-_Pokemon_anime 01.png
Following this announcement, we've also learned a few more details about Magearna. The Pokémon has been categorized as the Artificial Pokémon with a height of 3'03" and a weight of 177.5 lbs. It's described as having a metallic body and was once again stated to have been created by humans 500 years ago.
[prebreak][/prebreak]
Magearna Movie Artwork.png

Magearna's type(s), attacks, and how it will feature within the video game series is still unknown, but we have been given a summary of its role within the upcoming Pokemon movie:

In this latest Pokémon full-length feature film, a mysterious force binds Ash to the Mythical Pokémon Volcanion when it falls from the sky. Volcanion can’t get away, and Ash is dragged along as it continues on its mission. They arrive in a city of cogs and gears, where a corrupt minister has stolen the ultimate invention: the Artificial Pokémon Magearna, created 500 years ago. The minister plans to use Magearna’s mysterious power to take control of the mechanical kingdom. Can Ash and Volcanion work together to rescue Magearna? One of the greatest battles in Pokémon history is about to unfold!

An official English name for the film has yet to be given but its Japanese title has been translated as Volcanion and the Ingenious Magearna. It'll be interesting to see just how Magearna will end up fitting within the RPG video game series, and we'll definitely be sure to share everything about this mysterious new Pokémon once more information is revealed!

Last edited:
I just can't get used to how Magearna looks. It seems... wrong. Somehow. Like it's obvious it's mechanical but it still tries to look natural and ends up looking weird.

I really hope they make pokemon that actually look lke pokemon, I love the 5th and 6th and whatever ese, but they should really step up their game, that's why I have high hopes for Gen 7!
(Probably not gonna happen though)

because Magearna which I just realised had Gear in it's name
(drum+ Symbol)
also, it's basically just a fusion of a love ball, Klink, ad Diancie, like a heavy metal Diancie, there's one way to Rock and roll.
(drum+ Symbol)

Last edited by a moderator:
I think Magearna looks like a Five Nights at Freddy's animatronic.. But I like her. I liked Magiana better too!

Last edited:
its pretty obvious that its a steel type but as for a secondary typing well if it has one i say it will be either fairy or psychic all i really want to know is how pokemon plans on putting this new pokemon in the next game(s)

I just noticed, how Magearna's bottom half resembles a Heal/Love Ball. I'm wondering if Magearna was somehow an inspiration of sorts for the creation of Pokeballs, but I do feel that this theory is a bit of a stretch.
That's actually a great point! I can see what you mean about its lower body resembles a Poké Ball and I think there is definitely a reason for that. I'm thinking that Magearna's torso, arms, head, and legs might collapse into its body. Its very large "dress" looks like it could fit all of that. It looks like its oddly-shaped ears could then close over the flattened top of Magearna's lower body to make it more spherical. Also, notice the lines on the bottom of its "dress" (the white part). It looks like part could actually expand, similar to closed blinds being released to cover a window. If that's true, then Magearna can make itself spherical and look exactly like a steel Poké Ball, kind of like a Transformer. That's the only sense I can make of its odd design.