• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New Feature Demonstration: Profiles

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
We're getting closer to the new Pokécharms launch we first talked about a few months ago, and we're at the point now where we can start showing off some of the new features in more detail. Today, I'm going to start with perhaps one of the most important: your user profile. Like the rest of the site, it's been given a complete overhaul with the new software system, and we've got a short video to show it off in action.

What do you think? We're excited to hear any feedback or suggestions you may have - feel free to ask in the comments on our forum!

A transcript of the video can be found after the jump.
[prebreak][/prebreak]
Hello, I'm Teapot, an administrator at Pokécharms. Welcome to the first Pokécharms feature demonstration, a series of articles and videos that will be released during the run-up to the new Pokécharms and beyond, and will hopefully show off some features you might not have yet seen.

Today's video is all about your profile, which is now the central place for everything you do on Pokécharms.

One of the first things you'll notice is the big avatar on your profile - it's now over 50% larger. It's worth noting that your avatar is used to represent you all over the site - we scale it down automatically where we need to.

Also, you can now set a Pokémon type for yourself, as well as a nature and characteristic. Right now they're just there for a fun bit of personalisation, but we might find something more to do with them in the future.

Next, we'll look at one of the most exciting new profile features: Profile Posts and Status Updates. You can now post status updates to let the world know what you're thinking or doing, which will appear in the News Feed of anyone who follows you, as well as on your wall. People can also Like or comment on these status updates, or post on your profile themselves. Beyond the obvious uses, this can be fun way of arranging trades or battles, or making requests.

Another important aspect of your profile is the Information tab, which holds your About Me and all the miscellaneous information about you, such as your birthday, favourite Pokémon and move, and so on.

Lastly, a word on some tabs that aren't enabled yet: written works, artworks, and saved trainer cards. Written Works and Artwork are tabs that let you explore all of a user's creative content in one place, and a good way of discovering content from your favourite artists that you might not have seen before.

The Saved Trainer Cards tab is where you'll find the trainer cards you've saved to your profile through the Trainer Card Maker. From there you'll be able to get the embed codes to link to them from Pokécharms or another website, edit the card to update it with new details, or delete it. Others can also see this tab if you choose, and they'll have the ability to Like your cards.
Lastly, one more thing that some of you may be wondering about: privacy settings. Accessible through your user menu, your Privacy page lets you choose who can view or post on your profile, who can receive your News Feed, start Private Conversations with you, view your saved Trainer Cards, and so on.

That's all we have time for today, but we'll be showcasing more new features very soon as the new Pokécharms draws closer to release. Thanks for watching!

Last edited:

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I realized I have never heard you speak before this... eeee ♥

This is actually really cool, and I'm looking forward to it. One question, I noticed there's a little overworld thing in the top right. Can you customize it, or is it just there to be cute?

(also the background is really cute and pretty and awesome)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Shiny Eevee said:
One question, I noticed there's a little overworld thing in the top right. Can you customize it, or is it just there to be cute?
You can indeed, it'll be in your Preferences under your user menu:
44Xhb.png

By default it is Nate or Rosa, depending on the gender you set in your profile, but you can choose one yourself.

Looks good and can't wait for launch.

And Petey's voice eee ♥

Looking forward to the new site and more of these videos (especially to hear Petey's sexy voice)