• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join New Beginnings

Sterling flinched and turned around to see who whispered right behind him. Axew and Buneary did the same and prepared to attack, but stopped when they realised who it is. "Brandon? What the hell, don't sneak up on me like that." He said as he folded his arms. "How did you manage to get here so quietly, it's likely we would've heard you drop down here." He added. Buneary remained cautious of Brandon's presence as she didn't know him while Axew happily waved up at him.

Collax turned alongside Barkley, both wearing their pair of sunglasses as they looked at Brandon.
"Oi, you showin' up outta nowhere like that got me all concerned. What's the matter with ya, man? You hiding from somethin' or whatnot?" He said, mostly joking. He didn't really blame him if Brandon was trying to hide away from Madison or something along those lines. The appearance of him did seem a bit sudden, but they all hadn't had the time to properly get to know each other yet so it might just be casual unease.

The Skorupi scuttled away from Brandon, taking shelter closer to Collax. It could almost pass as his own Pokemon, but Collax simply let the insect do as it would, trying not to force it. There was something about this bug that both Collax and Barkley found endearing.

Sarah flinched as he interacted with her. She slowly followed him and watched him sneak up on some guy she did not know. "What the hell? Who are you people and why did I have to find you?" she groaned.

“To answer the first question, I fell on my butt,” he said to Sterling. “And to answer the second, we’re all in danger.”

“I heard some guys talking. People who weren’t on the boat. One said to round up all the adventurers and give some sort of ultimatum, and if they didn’t like our answer, they would kill us.”

Jax suddenly got up, hearing Sarah’s voice. He saw her and grabbed a Pokeball. He threw it, and a Weavile jumped out in a flash of red light. “Find the attacker. I will deal with this girl,” he told the Weavile. The Ice type nodded before running off in the direction of the lava tunnel as Jax advanced upon Sarah.

“Let’s get out of this hole before that guy recovers,” Brandon said. He climbed back out, but was thrown to the ground by a white and black blur.

“You,” he said, getting up. He saw the same Blitzle from earlier. “You really got a bone to pick with me, eh? Let’s settle it then. Chimchar, now!”

Chimchar popped out of the ground below the Blitzle, having used Dig to get out of the lava tunnel. He hit it with another Mach Punch before Brandon threw a Pokeball at it.

The ball sat on the ground, still, before shaking once. It shook again, before shaking once more, and finally, Brandon heard a soft click sound coming from the ball, signaling the capture of Blitzle. He picked up the ball and put it on his belt.

He turned around and saw Jax advancing on Sarah. “Hey!” he called out. “Why don’t you pick on someone your own size?”

Last edited by a moderator:
Madison had turned and was starting away from Collax when he opened his mouth. Mildly irritated as he spoke, she stopped in her tracks and considered lashing out, but at the same time she hardly understood a word of what he was saying and didn't know exactly what she was angry about. She doubted this drunken sailor boy was intelligent enough to veil insults, but little things like "uselessly pricey" stood out to her. Phantump was clinging to his mucky coat, but he was clearly doing so just to stick it to her. Dismissing Collax with a low hmph, a less-than-pleased Madison continued on.

She didn't need to tell them to go die in a hole, because they were already in the process of doing that, Lisa, Collax, Sterling, and Brandon. Except the last of the bunch, who climbed out as quickly as he went in. Well... if he wasn't dying in a hole, then... then... he was crawling out of one, just like a rat! Madison always found something to say.

But when Brandon said "Why don't you pick on someone your own size?", her passing insult sounded true, because he might as well have been as small as a rodent. If this was really a contest of size, then the chubby girl could take care of herself.

"Someone his own size? You look around the same age as I am, and you're hardly any larger," Madison scoffed. "...But I suppose your uncharacteristic attempt to appear tough and imposing is rather admirable, coming from such a quiet boy. So I'll fight with you... no, that isn't my reason. I'm doing this only because the last battle ended without a clear outcome. This is a chance to display my queenly might and prove that I'm worthy of ruling Lasryn!"

She returned Sandile to his Pokéball, neither trusting him nor knowing any of his moves. Gible plodded a few steps forward and let out a battle cry, unintimidated by Weavile despite the type disadvantage.

Brandon’s Chimchar jumped forward. He knew he had two advantages on Weavile. Jax saw this and sent out another Pokémon, a Nidoking. The Poison-Ground type roared as he was released from his Pokeball. “You know what to do,” Jax said to his Pokémon.

Weavile kicked off the battle by sending an Ice Shard flying at Gible, while Nidoking attempted to hit Chimchar with Earth Power. Chimchar jumped up and grabbed onto a tree branch before climbing further, disappearing from sight. He jumped back down behind Weavile, hitting him in the back of the head with Mach Punch and sending him flying over Gible and into a tree.

Everything happened so fast, Lisa wasn't sure how to react. Brandon showed up saying there was someone dangerous out there then left once again and sounds of arguing and battling insued. A moment ago her cheif concern was water, but now the prospect of possibly being killed awoke in her a primal fear. The desert was far too hot and open to attempt hiding in and although she one day hoped to prove her worth, it seemed awful risky to battle someone with murderous intentions. She looked back into the dark lava tube, partially illuminated by holes in the roof. If her choices were death or darkness, she'd rather take the darkness.
"I'm going back in the tunnel," she said to Sterling and Collax, trying to stay calm as she turned and ran.

"I'm with you, Lisa." Sterling replied, almost shook by Brandon's warning followed by the sounds of battle. He looked to Lisa and could tell she was thirsty, so he pulled out a canteen from his bag and handed it to her. "Here, drink some of this and then we should get a move on, who knows what else this place has in store for us." He said with concern as Axew and Buneary cautiously eyed the tunnel to make sure nobody hostile was approaching.

Collax was just as confused as Lisa and Sterling. Though he wasn't too daunted by the concept of people after them, he was still mindful enough to know that it was probably a bad idea to go up against them. So, followed by Barkley, he whipped his sunglasses off, stuffed them in his bag, pulled out a small flashlight, and ran after them before he could turn it on.
"Oi! I'm comin' with! But what 'bout Brandon, Madison, all them? They know where we're going?"

Ray was confused by everything that was happening, she didn’t even understood why she was following the group. But she was with Madison so she felt she had to go with them if her only friend currently, so she kept quiet throughout the journey.
- - - - - - - - - -
Kiri was confused on where he could go, Treecko including since he new most of the land “man this totally stinks, there’s no plac-“ he cut of as he spotted a group of people heading into a direction, so he decided to follow them staying hidden in site and in distance. He also spotted someone familiar in the group “hmmmm” he thought to himself.

Sarah backed away slowly. She glared at Jax with all her anger. “Back away from me! I did nothing to you. I came here to draw. That’s it. But I will fight if I have too.” She said slowly.

She called out her Vanillite. “Cone, it looks like we are gonna have some trouble. It seems people here are.....rude as can be. They don’t seem to understand that I didn’t come here to fight.

Lisa was glad Collax and Sterling were coming with her, but felt a pang of guilt for leaving everyone else behind. She stopped for a moment while the hole to the surface was still in sight.
"We could wait for them," she said, "but the next person to drop down here might not be so friendly...I'd rather be out of sight."
Still she thought, I wouldn't want to abandon the others completely..."If they want to follow they can track our footprints, but that also is true for anyone else who may be looking for us..."

Inkay remained surprisingly calm and aloof, sitting on her head and letting off a soft glow.

Brandon ducked as Nidoking threw a Sludge Bomb is his direction. “Move!” he called out to Madison as it flew towards her. Chimchar jumped in the way and used Protect, blocking the move. Jax sent out his third Pokémon, a Jolteon, who leapt towards the hole. Chimchar attempted to get in the way, but Jolteon zoomed down and landed behind the three trainers.

Brandon ran up to Jax and punched him in the back of the head. Jax pulled his sword back out and swung it at Brandon, missing by inches. Brandon sent out his Blitzle, who charged at Jax and knocked him over. Jax dropped the sword, and Chimchar picked it up. He tossed it to Brandon, who held the sword and smiled. “Looks like you just lost,” he said.

“Not quite,” Jax replied. He sent out an Alakazam, who teleported him behind Brandon and used Psychic, knocking Brandon into a tree. He pulled the sword back to Jax, and he advanced upon Brandon menacingly, with a look of pure malice on his face. Suddenly, a beam of light materialized in the sky, causing both trainers to look up. It became a bright green laser that Brandon recognized as a Solar Beam attack. The heavy-hitting Grass type move hit Jax, sending him flying into the air. A trainer with brown hair and a green shirt and blue pants stood there next to an Exeggutor. “A friend told me you guys could use my help,” he said.

"Catch the shards with Twister!"

Ice Shard was a fast but weak attack like Aqua Jet, so the small wind Gible managed to whip up in that time frame was enough to stop it. Chimchar had sent Weavile flying, so Madison's foe was no longer there when the winds cleared.

But she didn't have time to stand around when there was a Sludge Bomb coming right for her. Jumping out of the way and landing on her stomach, Madison now had more to worry about than a soiled dress for once in her life.

"Attacking trainers?! Are you crazy?!"

She already figured that Jax was a terrible battler, having Nidoking use Earth Power on unstable ground. But aiming for humans went against the very rules of the sport! He was clearly here to harm them in addition to their Pokémon.

"Gible, the ground here is weak, so bury that Nidoking, would you?" asked a vengeful Madison.

The earth began to sink underneath the Poison-type beast, before it caved in completely and fell away to the lava tube, trapping it there. Separated from its trainer, Nidoking had no one to take orders from and couldn't harm anyone.

"Little more than a dumb animal. This is how vile Poison-types are dealt with," she concluded with one triumphant sweep of dirt off her dress, before she lost that composure and proceeded to dust herself off more frantically. Madison was fretting so much over her clothes that she hadn't noticed the bright green light, the Alakazam, and the new arrival. She didn't know what became of the Nidoking's master either, but if two of his fully evolved Pokémon lost to theirs, he wasn't worth her time anyway.

The Nidoking fell into the lava tube and landed directly in front of Sterling, Lisa, and Collax, with Jolteon already advancing upon them from behind. “Nice job,” Jax said. “You just did my job for me.” Weavile suddenly appeared behind Gible and fired an Ice Beam. Alakazam used Psychic to hold Madison, Brandon, and Anthony in place. Brandon looked at Sarah and mouthed the word “run” before looking back at Jax.

“Catch of the day,” Jax said. “Three up here, and three down there. Bet I’m getting promoted for this.” Anthony’s hand had been on one of his Pokeballs when Alakazam froze him in place. “Alright, since this one-“ he said, looking at Brandon, “-has already told you what I am doing here, I will present the ultimatum.” As he finished, a Hydreigon landed behind the group. “If you do not wish to be slaughtered where you stand, you will mount the Hydreigon. Otherwise, you will become very familiar with this end of my sword.” He pulled out the weapon and held it up. “What’s it gonna be? Life or death?”

After having slowed to a stop when Lisa expressed her worry, Collax was considering jumping back into the jungle overhead to help the others, when all three of them were interrupted by not only a Jolteon from behind, but also a Nidoking collapsing into the tunnel directly in front of them.

Collax was the first to respond. Obviously, these Pokémon were here to capture them, or worse. This wasn’t his first dire battle situation. He and Barkley had been in sticky situations before, and they were quite decent at getting out of them... most of the time. With this sudden threat, it was time to put those skills to work.

Without Collax so much as needing to say a word, Barkley was out in front, blasting a confuse ray at the Nidoking, whose size was clearly constricting in the tight lava tunnel. As the confuse ray, which would be nearly unavoidable given the circumstances, would land, Collax was already running up along the wall of the tunnel, flickering the flashlight he held at the Jolteon behind him.
“Oi! Pay attention, ya lemon-scented pincushion! I’m this way!”

Collax intended on the Jolteon following him, taking attention off the other two, but he hadn’t accounted for the Skorupi that was in the tunnel with him. The insect, in a quick burst of bravery, sent a blinding Sand Attack forward into the tunnel, filling the air behind the trio of trainers, as well as directly at the electric-type’s eyes. At this point, not only would the Nidoking be unable to focus, the Jolteon would be incapable of seeing. Perfect.

Collax was already leaping for the
hole the Nidoking had fallen from, but a thought occurred to him that it would be a bad idea. The Nidoking was obviously part of the enemy, and that means wherever it fell from must be where those same people are. So, instead, he’s simply dropped down around the Nidoking and took off into the dark tunnel, clicking the flashlight off as he did. He hoped the others would do the same and follow him into the pitch black tunnel, so he ran as quietly as he could.

Barkley flew down and nabbed the Skorupi, floating off after Collax in the moment of opportunity. There would be no easy way to catch this wild trainer and his Pokémon, as long as he could make sure of it.

Lisa was ultimately in the wrong place at the wrong time. She had removed Inkay from her head and held him tightly to her chest, the voice of their attacker mumbled something inaudible from above ground. Skorupi's sand attack had blinded her as well as Jolteon
"Inkay, I can't see," she whispered, almost amazed at her calmness, "I need you to use psybeam real quick on that Nidoking then go as fast as you can to catch up to Collax, okay?" She couldn't see Inkay's response, but continued, "No matter what, don't let yourself fall into those bad guy's hands, okay?" She let him go and shouted, "Use Psybeam!"
The confused Nidoking thrashed wildly in the confined space of the lava tube, Inkay's attack must've hit. Lisa could only hope her little pokemon made it by. Her body was numb, but her heart beat fast, she tried to open her eyes but the darkness made it difficult to see anything with blurred vision. The ground shook with Nidoking's thrashes as Lisa attempted to run past and join her pokemon, the monstrous ground type made contact, slamming her into the wall with unreal force, she heard some ribs break and felt the warm rush of blood down the side of her face. If it wasn't for the adrenaline she would've felt more pain. She scrambled along the muddy floor, desperate to get by but it was no use. One wild swipe of Nidoking's tail caught her in the side of the head, breaking her neck. Lisa fell lifeless onto the ground.

Inkay sped forward in the darkness until he found Collax and Barkley, unaware he would never see Lisa again.

Nidoking thrashed about after the attacks that resulted in Lisa’s death. He saw Sterling left in the cave and charged at him, shaking off the confusion. Jolteon leapt out of the way and Nidoking went past him at straight towards Sterling.

“I am not doing anything for you,” Anthony said. Brandon found himself looking at Alakazam, or rather, what was behind Alakazam.

Suddenly, the Psychic type was knocked over by a Fire Blast attack, coming from Anthony’s partner Flareon. The three trainers were released from the Alakazam’s grasp and Anthony grabbed Jax before shoving him to the ground. Brandon sent out his Chimchar, who used Fire Punch on the Weavile while Blitzle used Wild Charge on the Hydreigon.

When simply dusting herself off proved futile, Madison was rummaging through her purse to find a handkerchief so she could wet it and forcefully scrub away whatever dirt was left. But she looked up when Jax suddenly reappeared to taunt her, her hand settling on Gible's Pokéball. She was sure he hadn't been there a second ago.

Neither had the Weavile, who had similarly reappeared out of nowhere and fired an Ice Beam from behind Gible. She wouldn't notice and dodge in time.

"Come back!" Madison yelled, pressing her Pokéball before Alakazam could immobilize her and returning the dragon just as Ice Beam was about to hit. "I don't like to resort to such dirty tricks, and if this were a proper battle, I would most certainly be disqualified for it, but you have already gone beyond propriety by harming trainers!"

She was about to fire off on Jax despite being frozen in place, but she swallowed when he raised a sword and threatened to slaughter her. Trying to maintain a confident façade, an intimidated Madison continued. "I-...I am not-"

"I am not doing anything for you," Anthony said.

Everything that followed happened so fast that she couldn't yet sigh in relief that someone else had spoken up. Weavile was taking a Fire Punch from Chimchar, Jax was pinned to the ground, and Blitzle was charging at Hydreigon, while Madison was standing around useless. Weakly gripping her Pokéball, she sent out Gible and ordered her to whip up two Twisters.

While Blitzle rammed Hydreigon head-on, the supereffective tornadoes would come in from the sides and hit the lesser heads. But Madison's voice had lost its conviction.

Hydreigon was hit by all three attacks. Jax shook his head and returned Weavile and Alakazam. He whistled and Jolteon leapt out of the hole. Jax looked down into the hole and returned Nidoking before returning Jolteon as well. He jumped on Hydreigon’s back and prepared to fly away. “You may be a little tough, but mark my words, you’re no match for the boss. This was just a little taste of our power.” Hydreigon took off into the skies.

“Well that was not good,” Brandon said. He jumped down into the lava tunnel, followed by Anthony. He saw the dead body of Lisa on the floor before looking up and seeing a hole in the ceiling. “Well, he certainly accomplished showing his power,” he said. “This is gonna be my toughest mission yet,” Anthony said. “We better set up shelter by the lake and stay out of sight. Who knows how more of them there are?” He climbed back out of the hole, followed by Brandon. They looked back at Madison, Ray, and Sarah. “Are you coming or are you staying?” Anthony asked. “May wanna come along in case of another attack.”

—————————————————————————————————————————————

Jax landed at his base. He dismounted the Hydreigon and went inside. He went to the throne room and walked up to the man sitting on the throne. He got down on one knee and bowed his head. “My king,” he said. “I had the upper hand until an experienced trainer showed up. Full team of highest evolution ranks.”

“Any success at all?” the man on the throne asked. He was wearing all black and looked to be at least 40 years old.

“One casualty,” Jax said. “There are eight left. Two of the boys split from the rest and went to the desert, and a third boy is on his own. Another girl is alone. The experienced one is with one other boy, and the brat has another girl traveling with her.”

“I will send you after the boys in the desert. Chance will be sent after the two girls, and Griffin will handle the other two boys. Once you have the two in the desert, find the ones traveling alone. I assume they won’t be a problem.”

“Yes, my king,” Jax said. “I will inform Chance and Griffin, and then we will prepare. We will leave in a few days.” He walked towards the door.

“Do not return empty-handed,” the king said. “Capture at least one, or kill them. If they decide to come along, they will join us, or we will kill them here.”

With that, Jax walked out the door to find the others.

Collax continued to run quietly in the darkness of the tunnel, stopping only when he knew he was a safe distance. Barkley’s glowing eyes hardly illuminated but his own face and the tail of Skorupi, who he was still carrying. Noting no sounds of footsteps, Collax was about to turn on the flashlight, when he noticed another light source making its way towards him. Lisa’s Inkay.

Collax and Barkley immediately grew worried. That Inkay clung to Lisa as though she was his tether to sanity. If it was here alone, then Lisa might have been caught by the enemy, or worse. Collax flicked on the flashlight, shining it upwards along the glossy black stone of the tunnel that shone the torchlight widely, enlightening most of the tunnel around them.
“Inkay? You alright? What happen’ t’ Lisa, is she still back there?” He asked, already knowing the answers to most of those questions. So, he slowed himself down and looked at Inkay again. “Did anyone follow ya?”

Collax and Barkley both wanted nothing better than to run back and help, but Collax had a sense of self-preservation and survival, and Barkley knew plenty about the danger that was posed. If he was going to help, he needed to know if he’d be in too much trouble if he tried.

If only they knew of Lisa’s true, grim fate.

Madison followed Brandon and Anthony to the edge of the hole and stopped there, because jumping down was not so easy for her. She'd have to lift up her dress or lower herself with the utmost care to not get dirty.

But there was something else stopping her: the mangled body of Lisa. Her hand flew to cover her mouth, and Madison felt sick to her stomach. She never liked Lisa, but she never wished death upon her either, and seeing this girl her age in such a gruesome state deeply disturbed her.

“Well, he certainly accomplished showing his power,” Brandon said.

That was all that came out of his mouth? That Lisa's death was a simple display of power and not something to mourn over, or to at least be shaken by? There was barely any reaction, and hearing this from a 13-year-old kid, Madison wondered if Brandon was some kind of sociopath.

"Am I coming with you?" Madison repeated the question when Anthony and Brandon climbed out of the hole. "No. Absolutely not."

She was so repulsed by them that when she jumped down this time, she did so without hesitation.

"You disgust me," she added, her back turned. "Come on Ray, let's get out of here."

Madison didn't look over her shoulder to make sure that her only friend was following, but she did look at the bloodied Lisa one last time. She'd said some nasty things to her, but she couldn't just leave her like this.

"Gible, use Dig..."

Her voice hadn't lost its sting, and it very much sounded like Madison only wanted the body out of her sight, but there was an uncharacteristic solemnity to it. There was also an uncharacteristic silence to her usually stomping steps, as she laid Lisa to rest and left Brandon there.

Unlike the slain girl, Gible was lucky that she had a comfortable Pokéball to return to. Gripping the ball, gritting her teeth, Madison disappeared further into the tunnel, where few holes disturbed its darkness. She'd just dismissed the very same people who had saved her from Jax's blade.

"I'm not some ingrate," Madison muttered to herself as she walked. "But I'm no sociopath either."

How ironic it was, then, that she'd condemned herself to darkness and solitude, while Brandon the sociopath still enjoyed the company of other people. But the thought passed as quickly as it had come, when the light of Inkay and the presence of Collax saved her from those two things. It was prophetic, almost, running into them just as she had begun to feel this way. Now Madison was sure that she'd been right to leave Brandon and Anthony behind.

After what she'd seen, however, all she could do was stare at Collax blankly.

"Oh, it's you."

Brandon rolled his eyes at Madison. ‘I disgust her?’ he thought. ‘Wonder what she figures the world thinks of her.’ He looked at Anthony.

“So do you have any idea what is going on in this place?” he asked.

“Yeah, I was sent to stop an organization of criminals that is hiding out here. Call themselves ‘Team Void’. They were said to be much stronger than Team Rocket, Plasma, Flare, and Skull. Apparently they have the means to take over the known regions. That’s why they sent me. But of course, they didn’t JUST send me.”

“There’s more people coming?” Brandon asked. “How many?”

“Maybe three or four,” Anthony replied. “They’re sending the world’s most elite force of trainers to defeat them. At least, the most elite they could find. Some of the strongest people in history have disappeared recently.”

“Well, hopefully the best of the best haven’t,” Brandon said. “Anyone else coming with us? Or do you just wanna go off on your own like her?”

Collax had been trying to get an idea about what happened out of Inkay, but it only appeared that he had no idea; he had simply followed Collax. Not by personal desire, but because Lisa had commanded him to. Collax had his head down, hand over his eyes as he sighed. He didn't know what he was suppose to do... until he heard footsteps that jolted his head upwards. It took him a decent while to recognize her in the near-pitch-black darkness, but after he pointed the flashlight in her direction, he knew what he was looking at.

Madison.

There were a number of thoughts and feelings that passed in a mere moment. One was disgust, but it only lasted for a millisecond before it was enveloped by the other thoughts. Next was relief that she was alive, and seemingly calm, meaning the enemy had left. Third was worry, because Lisa hadn't followed. She must have been caught and taken away with the enemy. Then his attention finally settled back on the person before him. Madison. Was he going to be stuck with her now?

"Oh, it's me." He responded with a frown. "What, am I not the person you wanted to see alive right now? Well, sorry t' disappoint you, sister, but I've got my own sense of survival, and I'm gonna use it when I gotta." He pointed the flashlight behind her, trying to see down the tunnel. All he could see was the small shaft of light from the hole, hardly a speck of light from where he was standing. "Well, if you're here, then everyone else oughta be fine. Where's Lisa? An' Sterling, they were down 'ere too. The 'ell happened to them?" His tone of voice was notably accusing; he did not know the truth of anyone's fate. But his first experience with Madison hadn't exactly been a good one, and it was pretty easy to let that affect how he thought of her as of now.

Sterling was deeper within the cave and down on his knees, his eyes looked clouded and no longer seemed to reflect any light. His hands shook with fear as he saw his first friend perish right in front of him. He didn't remember anything that happened after her death, his only hint was a bruise on the side of his head; likely knocked out by Nidoking. Axew tried to comfort his trainer, but no response was heard from the latter. Buneary on the other hand tried to call for help in hopes that someone else was in the cave.

Anthony pulled out his phone. “Hey,” he said. “They’re all with me. One dead, the rest are alive and well. Is anyone else getting here soon, cuz these grunts are a little difficult to hold off. Not gonna be able to do this job on my own.”

He paused for a second. “Alright, thanks for the info. When will they get here?” He paused again. “Okay. Gotta hang up now, bye.” He hung up the phone. “The others will be here in a day or two.”

Brandon nodded. “Oh, and by the way, Ray, we never had a chance to battle. Maybe we should in a bit? For now though, we need to focus on building shelter. That is, if you’re coming with us.”

Ray couldn’t decline if her best friend Madison was going with them and she was thinking Brandon was a nice, cute guy she could hangout with “sure! I’ll hangout with you guys for the time being” she said as she started walking towards the group.
- - - - - - - - - - - -
Kiri walked deeper in the cave, walking past the group. “Hmmm, wonder what cave I’m in right now” he thought as he walked further “maybe I can get a new Pokémon, probably Deino” he said as he looked through his Pokédex.

“Alright,” Brandon said. “Should we go then?”

Anthony nodded. He led the way through the jungle. “We should probably find a lake. Best place to camp out would be there,” he said. Brandon nodded, knowing they needed a fresh water supply. As they walked, Anthony saw a building in the distance atop a mountain. “That’s probably their base,” he said. “We may wanna keep our distance for now.”

—————————————————————————————————————————————

Jax burst into the room. He saw Chance and Griffin playing chess. “I’ve been looking all over for you two!” he said. “Boss has a mission for the three of us. He wants us to begin training. Now.”

“Finally, something fun!” Griffin said. “What’s the mission?”

“Capture the adventurers, deliver the ultimatum, and depending on their decision, either let them join us, or we kill them,” Jax said.

“Sounds good to me,” Chance said. They went to the training room.

"Lisa is dead," Madison told Collax bluntly. His tone irritated her, but that wasn't the worst of what she was dealing with. That phrase alone would be enough to shut him up.

She walked past him but stopped only a few steps ahead. If she were to go any farther into the tunnel, she'd have no light and no attention. Madison needed the former now and the latter always, even when she wasn't her usual self.

"I don't know where Sterling is," she added, turning to face Collax. "But if I'm stuck with you, know this. I still can't stand the sound of your voice, but it's better than bats and dripping water in a dark cave. The fact that you're filthy hasn't changed either, so keep a good distance away from me. I seriously wish you'd take better care of yourself, because..."

Her voice assumed an odd note of anger mixed with relief. As she thought of Lisa, Madison gritted her teeth, but she was also glad that Collax was safe.

"...Because dirt is for the buried, and you're alive. So try to look like it."

Anthony kept going through the jungle, with Brandon close behind. He kept looking over the back of his shoulder to make sure Ray was still there due to her being so quiet. “Let me check the GPS,” Anthony said. “The lake isn’t too far from here. About 100 yards away.”

“Alright, let’s keep going,” Brandon said. After a couple minutes, they arrived at the lake. “I brought the materials for two tents. Probably should split us in terms of gender. Ray, that means you get your own tent. Brandon and I will share the other tent,” Anthony said. He went to start setting up the tents. Brandon, meanwhile, decided to walk off and try to find some wild Pokémon.

Collax was stock still, struck with a combination of shock, frustration, confusion, and just plain being taken aback. Madison was still as snarky as she was when they met earlier that day, but she seemed notably different. Very different. He wasn't sure how to react. Lisa was dead? No wonder Inkay was here on his own.

The enemy, whoever they were, meant business, that much he could see clearly. There would be no easy avoiding them now. He knew very well what extent they were willing to go to for their way. Lisa had been claimed by them, but Collax vowed silently, in her memory, that he would never.

Though her comments of his voice and cleanliness still bothered him, he let Madison's comments go, noting the change of tone in her voice. She was rude, but she wasn't hardhearted. Something about this changed the way he saw her. She cared, through that heavy facade. She just knew she couldn't show it.

Of course, he understood that she wouldn't appreciate him treating her like that, so he tried his best not to seem any more amicable than before. Though, he was still at a loss for words at the notion of Lisa's death, he tried to at least say something that could help.
"...Well, I ain't- *ahem* I'm not gonna push ya. Shit got real, now. What about you, though? ...You doing alright?"

Last edited:
"Am I doing all right, you ask?" Madison repeated.

She allowed silence to reclaim the cave, because there was a lot to say. Not many people asked her what Collax did, either.

"...No. I was staring down a blade and threatened with death. I admit that my resolve was less than unwavering," she began ironically. It wasn't much of an admission if it was phrased in such a roundabout way to hide just how terrified she was. But using big words was something Madison did often to overstate her strengths and understate her weaknesses.

"An older man handled the situation better than I could, and I'm conceding that out of gratitude and gratitude alone. By no means am I ceding the throne! I still intend to become Queen of Lasryn!"

She had originally decided to rule the region on a whim, when her sun hat was stolen and she fancied a crown atop her head. But she had begun to take it seriously, because Lisa had been right about one thing. Coming from a long line of Ace Trainers did put pressure on her. And becoming Queen of Lasryn gave Madison her own goal to work toward.

"There are certain people who are unworthy of my company," she continued as they walked, "like sociopaths. When I hear someone treat death as a mere display of power, and feel nothing for the deceased, I can't stomach it. It's more unpleasant to the ears than-"

Collax still spoke like a commoner, but the sound of his voice was less offensive now. He was trying.

"-than Sterling's flute. That's why I couldn't stand to be around Brandon and set off on my own into this tunnel."

She stopped before the light that was spilling into the lava tube from above. Had Collax not been so filthy, Madison would have made him carry her out. But alas, she had to scale the rock wall and climb out herself.

The glaring signs of civilization belied the fact that they were in a deeper part of the jungle now.

"I suppose this is where we'll be staying for the night."

That was all Madison could say when she saw the abandoned medical building before her. She'd been lied to. She came to Lasryn under the impression that it was unexplored, but this old construction challenged that. Coming here was not a special honor granted only to those of her status, and even if it had been, there was nothing honorable about a not-so-uninhabited region.

"This is a sham," Madison muttered to herself, then turned back to Collax. "You and this building have a lot in common. Both look like they're in a state of ruin, and I don't know what either of them are doing in Lasryn. Buildings even have names. Do you have one of those?"

Ok, great. So she's not as much of a titular asshole as before, but she's still retaining most of it. With a grunt, Collax followed with Madison, listening to her speak.

He tried his best to listen to what happened rather than her persistent complaining and intentions to rule Lasryn as its "queen". At most, he considered, she'd end up being its janitor. Though he was concerned for her when she mentioned being threatened by a blade, he found it difficult to sound caring when she proceeded to throw insults in his face.

How long was he going to be stuck with her...

When they climbed out of the lava tube, Collax was more taken aback than he had been by anything Madison could say to him. An abandoned clinic. In the middle of an "unexplored" and "uninhabited" region. For once, Collax had something to agree with Madison on. This was indeed a sham. Even as Madison asked his name, albeit layered between further comments towards his appearance, he was too focused on what he was looking at. Abandoned.

There was something very, very wrong with the Lasryn region. Thick jungle so close to the beach, followed by a desert and lava tubes running underneath it? Some mysterious antagonist who threatens with blades and kills for noncompliance? Abandoned buildings? The entire region spoke nothing but great disaster.

When he was finished ruminating, and the three Pokemon following him, Barkley, Inkay, and Skorupi had caught up, he looked back at Madison, focusing on the question she'd asked him, though it had been a few moments of awkward silence before he did. He shook his head, grinned, and gave a mock bow to the soon-to-be janitor of Lasryn.
"I suppose a lowly peasant like me should only introduce myself formally, my incompetent queen. My name is Collax Edgerigo, and this Phantump here is my lifelong companion, Barkley. Now, I'll excuse myself to go actually set up a place to sleep while you keep prancing around your fallen kingdom." And with that, he turned on his heel, stuck his hands in his coat pockets, and marched off towards the ruined structure, the three Pokemon following behind him. Barkley turned and gave a snarky wave as he floated after him, while Inkay and Skorupi just ran closer to join Collax. Inkay mostly seemed intimidated by the structure, but Skorupi was staring at it with terrified compound eyes. It seemed to recognize the abandoned hospital, and it didn't like anything about it.

"Yes, you're a lowly peasa- Wait, I'm prancing?! Incompetent?!"

But Collax had already gone, leaving a seething Madison standing there as the sun set around her. When she finally got over it, she avoided him on the way into the abandoned building. The floors were dirty and scattered with useless junk and the ceilings were no better, but at least they had a roof over their heads.

No, not "they." Madison would be sleeping alone in a small hospital room on the first floor, wherever Collax wasn't. But upon walking the halls and looking in, she hesitated to call any of them rooms. The beds were trashed and mangled, the floors littered with debris. The only thing that seemed somewhat intact was a white storage cabinet that had been tipped.

"This is so disgusting! I'd rather sleep on Collax's coat!"

This wasn't a good day and Madison reacted the way she always did, putting her complaints out there. What she kept inside, however, were her hopes that things wouldn't get any worse. As she slid her foot into the cabinet handle and kicked it open, she was hoping that there would be clean bedding inside.

According to her standards of cleanliness, the roll of sheets in there was dirty no matter how clean it looked to anyone else. But as Madison looked down at the army of debris on the floor, she found herself holding the semi-white covers like a flag of surrender. She had to suck it up, because compared to the litter on the ground, they were clean.

"If only I hadn't left my sleeping bag on the boat, I wouldn't have had to settle for less. But if I had all my luggage, I wouldn't be able to explore properly. Whatever. My legs are too tired to go back now," Madison muttered to herself as she looked for a place to sleep, free of litter.

The closest thing to it was in the hospital kitchen. The steel prepping table in the middle of the room would be the best mattress this place had to offer, if Madison swept off the debris. And the pots and pans strewn about would be perfect for cooking breakfast, if she washed them in the ocean early next morning.

Collax, meanwhile, had been stepping lightly over the piles of strewn garbage and debris, inspecting each unusual piece for any clue as to what happened. Despite his efforts, there were no answers to be found anywhere in the unending piles of trash. Broken chairs, torn books, and other things to be expected, but none of them hinted towards what actually happened in this abandoned husk of a building.

While Madison went about her way, desperately trying to find a half-decent place to sleep, Collax decided he'd best do the same. There was nothing else to be found in this clueless disaster remnant. So he stepped back out into the trashed lobby, looking around at the rubble and loose pieces of furniture that used to decorate the room.

He noticed a few things. One, the ceiling had collapsed in a spot close to the center of the lobby, revealing the next floor and some slightly even walkway up to it. Two, some of the chairs had been stacked in a loose pile in front of a door. No, not stacked, thrown. Whoever left them there had hucked all the chairs from another hospital room and hurriedly piled them in front of the door. Three, the front door had been burned. Not terribly, just slightly, as though someone had a blowtorch and ran it along the edges of the door frame. Nothing about this room was good news.

But, whatever happened in the past certainly happened long ago, as for now the building was all to himself. And Madison, though she'd probably spend more of her time griping and complaining about a bed than anything else. Collax, however, had slept outdoors countless times, with and without a tent or sleeping bag. He had spent many nights in trees, under rocks, inside piles of leaves, and more with Barkley. This was nothing he couldn't make do with.

So he gathered a few chairs and pulled some pieces of rubble and debris into a pile off to the side of the center of the lobby. He pushed the rubble pile towards the wall, slanting downwards, and lined the chairs along the side so it didn't flatten out. Boom. Bed for the night.

Then it struck him that they needed more than just shelter. They needed food and water. Collax could handle both of those while the sun was still up, but water in specific would take much longer. Food only requires some foraging around and a decent sharp stick for fishing, but water would require either A) They'd be lucky and one of the faucets in the building still ran mostly clean water at best, B) There was a spring somewhere nearby, or C) They'd need to filter their own water.

Oh, great. Now he was going to have to keep himself and Madison alive, because he was more than confident she had no idea how to on her own. He'd worry about either of those needs tomorrow, as he had some canned food to last about three more days, and a canteen half full to last another two. Even as Barkley, Inkay, and Skorupi all gathered around the small piles of rubble to make their own beds, Collax was sure they'd be able to make it just fine.

And so, he lay down on his moderately comfortable bed of garbage and stared up at the ceiling in silence.

“My own tent.....why can’t I sleep in the same tent as y-“ she closed her mouth and opened it “forget what I just said” she said blushing and started to make her tent “that was close, I almost did something wrong” she finished her tent and looked around “hmm I could probably make something but we’re gonna need fire wood”

“Of course,” Anthony said. He sent out his Nidoking. “Bash down some trees for wood,” he said. Nidoking nodded before knocking down a couple trees and carrying the wood back to the two trainers. “Flareon will light the fire when it starts to get dark. For now, I’m gonna set up the tent.”

Meanwhile, Brandon was searching the tall grass. He had found some Pokémon, but most of them didn’t interest him. One in particular did pique his interest.

A Gible stuck its head out of the grass. He sent out his Chimchar, who quickly hit the Dragon type with Fury Swipes, but the Gible struck back with Sand Tomb, trapping Chimchar. The Gible ran off and Kaleb returned his partner and healed him. “Dang,” he said. “Not so easy to catch compared to Blitzle.”

Madison had not been sleeping comfortably on the steel table, so a clash of pots and pans was more than enough to wake her up. When the girl sat up and saw a pair of red eyes staring back at her in the darkness, she let out a sharp scream. Tumbling out of the makeshift bed, she crawled backwards until she was pressed to the wall. Madison pulled out her Pokédex and held it defensively in front of her face, her hand trembling.

Suddenly the device turned on and spoke up, the light of its screen illuminating the figure before her.

"Probot, the Surgeon Pokémon. A technology company created these androids to aid in surgical procedures but has scrapped the project. They now frequent abandoned hospitals, helping injured humans and Pokémon alike with the probes and scalpels on their arms."

There stood a robot in medical uniform, with red lit features and surgical instruments for arms.

"Surgeon Pokémon?" Madison wondered for a moment, before her curiosity had her rummaging through her purse. Upon finding the PokéNav Plus, she typed "Probot" into the search engine to see if it yielded any results.

There was a 10-year-old article about the use of artificial intelligence in treating diseases and inputting machines with up-to-date surgical knowledge. According to a 20-year-old article, the project began when the first androids were shipped to a hospital that served the members of an ill-fated expedition to an island region.

"Well, if this article is so old, I suppose there is both research value to the relics of an ill-fated expedition, and a fortune to be made," Madison remarked, composing herself and raising a Pokéball at the android.

She was so focused on what she had to gain that the failed exploration did not even evoke a response from her. Until she glanced back at the PokéNav Plus one last time, before her device died, and caught the name of the island region.

Lasryn.

Ray wandered into the forest after finishing her tent, looking for food and another Pokémon she could find in her current place and tripped on something “ow.....what was that” she said looking at the ground and what she found was a egg, just lying there but when she tried to grab it a shadow scratched her hand “ow, not again” when she looked up from her hand she saw a Pokémon and scanned it “what’s a eevee doing all the way out here” she thought realizing that it must have been protecting the egg “oh! I see, don’t worry I won’t touch they egg nice to meet you my name is ray” she raised out her hand to the eevee’s surpised and gave her a paw, the than thought for a while. After a bit it pushed the egg to Ray “huh? You want me to have it, um...thank you I guess” she said grabbing the egg and took out a pokeball “oh wait, it’s not born yet so it won’t fit” she got a idea to catch the eevee but when she looked up from the egg-view, she saw it was gone and went back to camp “hey guys! Check it out!”

Peter dozed in a nearby tree with his Ekans coiled on his head. This was disturbed when someone was hollering at some camp. He groaned, "Why does she have to be so excited. It's just an egg." His Ekans hissed in agreement. "Might as well find a new spot, huh bud?" he stroked his Ekans' scaly back. Its rattle shook with delight. Peter descended from his napping spot and quickly darted to another tree.

Before climbing, he saw that there were a few others there at the camp. One girl was bad enough but there were multiple people in his sight. This would be a bad place to stay if all of them were as loud as that one.

Last edited: