• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

New 16th Movie Trailer Released

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Since the 16th Pokémon movie was first revealed last year Pokémon fans have been itching to see some proper footage of the movie. Well, have no fear as recently a brand new trailer was released showing us Mewtwo and Genesect in action.
16thmovieposter_zps2970c4b5.jpg

The latest trailer for the 16th Pokémon movie, Pokémon: Extremspeed Genesct - Mewtwo's Awakening, gives us the first proper look at the movie and our lead characters Genesect and Mewtwo in action. The trailer suggests that the two Pokémon will be against one another in this movie, even if just for a little while. The end of the trailer also features some new footage for the Pokémon Short featuring Eevee and offers us the first chance to see new Eeveelution Sylveon animated and standing proudly beside the other Eeveelutions.

The movie is due for release in Japan in July and is the 16th overal Pokémon movie, but only the third to be set during Ash's adventures in Unova. It's also worth noting that this movie will feature a fan favourite in the shape of Ash's Charizard, so there really is something to please every anime fan. If you wish to view the trailer then you can find it right here.

Last edited:
It seems so strange to actually see Mewtwo in another Pokemon movie, especially when its last appearance was all the way back in 2001 during the, "Mewtwo Returns" special. Its also odd because there aren't any Kanto remakes on the horizon (thankfully), so to see a Gen 1 legendary promoted in theaters again just feels...surreal.

Between Charizard returning to Ash's roster and Mewtwo being in a movie, it makes you wonder what all this Kanto nostalgia in the anime is about. Even back when FR/LG came out in Japan they didn't promote Kanto this much, even with the BF arc set in the region they ignored almost all of Kanto's landmarks.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I have no idea what was happening in that trailer, but Mewtwo. ♥ I can't wait to see Mewtwo in action again and hope that it'll be a good movie. Mewtwo deserves some quality attention. :8B:

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
Linkachu said:
I have no idea what was happening in that trailer, but Mewtwo. ♥ I can't wait to see Mewtwo in action again and hope that it'll be a good movie. Mewtwo deserves some quality attention. :8B:

The first two movies it featured in aren't enough? ;D

Admittedly though, I wasn't looking forward to this movie until they revealed the involvement of Mewtwo because I really don't care for Genesect all that much. Having Ash's Charizard in another movie greatly helps its case with me too and can only be seen as an awesome bonus.

I'm still MUCH more excited for the Eevee short, but hey, either way I'm looking forward to it all~ ^^

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Demelza said:
Linkachu said:

The first two movies it featured in aren't enough? ;D

Nope. Never. I'm only slightly biased. :angel:

I just hope that it's the same Mewtwo. I'd always assumed that it would be until the fandom began speculating that it may not be, so now I don't want to jump to conclusions. Edit: Nevermind. Serebii's latest translations pretty much confirm it's the same ol' Mewtwo. The initial confusion appeared to be caused by poor translations. :p

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's also looking as though the anime will tie into the movie in the same way that the first movie did, given the whole Plasma/Genesect based arc going on at the moment there.

Seems even more appropriate for Mewtwo to return, then.

Also, this really beats the idea of bringing Jirachi back following Mew and Celebi's previous returns for the movies at the end of the last two Generations. :p

Thematically, Mewtwo makes sense as he's really a product of the same kind of stuff as Genesect. I think Charizard's return is basically just fan-wankery. But it's fan-wankery I can get behind and am looking forward to the sub'd release of this week's episode. :)

With X and Y confirmed for October, this is also the last Best Wishes movie. If Iris leaves the show by the end of this gen, it's disappointing she only has 3 movies while the others all got at least 4.

Besides the very slim chance of Iris staying for another arc, (which is unlikely, the writers love changing the main girl each gen), she's going to be the shortest-lived female travel companion of the entire series.