• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Need some help with breeding the starters

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Hmmm. So, I restarted Diamond 20-billion times (actually, about 8 ) to get a female Turtwig, and restarted my Pearl 15 times to get a female Chimchar. Now I'd like to breed my starters to make "spares" to trade over to my friend, who is a jammy git because he started Diamond and got a female Piplup first time. (He is such a Pokemon newbie that he didn't even know why a person might want a female starter!).

So I was looking at Turtwig's egg moves, and the ones that seem interesting are:
Body Slam - NORMAL - power 85, physical move
Superpower - FIGHTING - power 120, physical
Seed Bomb - GRASS - power 80, physical (power 120 with STAB)

I'm particularly interested in Superpower because Fighting moves are 2 x effective against Ice pokemon, and in Seed Bomb because it's a high power physical Grass move.

But I can't find any legitimate way of getting Superpower onto Turtwig. Supposedly, the only pokemon that can learn it are the Regis and Nidoqueen - all of which are in the No Eggs group. Have I missed someone?

And I tried searching for Seed Bomb in the 'Charms dex and couldn't find it listed under Attack. Does it have another name?

And it seems as though, unlike previous Gens that let you cross-breed the starters, Turtwig can't be bred with Chimchar or Piplup because it doesn't share an egg group with either of them. Chimchar and Piplup are both in Land group, but Turtwig is in Monster & Plant groups. Is this right?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The old search doesn't cope with the new D/P stuff.

The new search, which should launch today is cool for it though. Seed Bomb is learned by Bulbasaur at level 37, Exeggutor when it evolves, Sunkern at level 45, Shroomish and Breloom both at level 41 and Cacnea, Turtwig and Snover by breeding.

To breed SuperPower to Turtwig you'll need a Totodile, who learns it at level 41 and shares the Monster group with Turtwig.

(It should also be easier to check this for yourself from today too, as I'm going to try and implement a popup that'll come up when clicking the egg moves for a Pokemon that tells you who learns that move in their group)