• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Need movesets!

A

Anonymous

I'm currently changing my game team for competitive battle so I need some movesets to be changed:

Lucario:
Close Combat
Aura sphere
Bone Rush
Force palm

Golem
Stealth rock
earthquake
Stregnth
Rock throw

Tangrowth
Vine whip
Powerwhip
Giga drain
Strength

Faraligatr
Waterfall
Surf
strength
hydro cannon

Yanmega
Air cutter
Ancient power
agility
Fly

Houndoom
Flamethrower
Strength
Blast burn
Overheat

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
This, this and more this:

http://www.pokecharms.com/forums/http:/ ... ic.php?t=0

Read that topic. It'll tell you everything that's wrong with your movesets, and besides Golem having Stealth Rock, your movesets are terrible at best at this stage.

Also, Houndoom cannot learn Blast Burn under any circumstance, meaning you also have a hacked Pokemon on your team.

A

Anonymous

??? Not blast burn, the other one? Basically the fire-type version of thunder? Oops I can't remember :(
Also, Dispite that thread's helpfullesness I still have no idea!

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
You're probably thinking of Fire Blast.

And for starters, get rid the same type attacks. That, first and foremost, is murdering your team and their movesets. Also, get rid of Strength and Fly from your Pokemon, their rather pointless HM's. Really, the only HMs you should be using are Surf and Waterfall (and occasionally Rock Smash).

You're also going to want to take a look at each Pokemon's base stats and see what they naturally do best and then build your moveset around those strengths. Something like Feraligatr should not have special attacking moves, seeing as its Attack stat is far superior to its Special Attack stat. To be able to build a competitive team you need to think about what you want your Pokemon to do and actually spend some time researching each Pokemon and what they can do. It's not just slap some moves on them and scurry off. Against a half-way decent opponent, it won't end well.

Seriously though, read that link KoL gave you carefully and also take a look at some of the threads around here to get a better grasp at movesets and battle logic. Doing that certainly helped me when I was first starting out in competitive battling. It's one of those things that's hard to grasp at first, but it's far from impossible.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Miyuki said:
??? Not blast burn, the other one? Basically the fire-type version of thunder? Oops I can't remember :(
Also, Dispite that thread's helpfullesness I still have no idea!

You're probably thinking of Fire Blast, in that case.

As for the thread I linked you, it's currently being re-written to make it a bit more "user-friendly," so I'd check on it at a later date - you might find the remake a lot more useful.

A

Anonymous

Yes thanks Red and KoL I was also thinking I recall someone on youtube saying that waterfall is good for feraligatr ill also put toxic on tangrowth, 3 down, 21 to go! God people on the internet make it look easy! Keep the advice coming peoples unless you're volenteering to be my practise punchbag! Kuhaha!

I hate to be rude, BUT I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAVE THIS TANGROWTH D:<

I know tentacle raep is fun, but Vine Whip is a terrible Move, and Giga Drain doesn't particularly need to be on there, unless I suppose if you wanna make a Toxic set. Even then, it's iffy. If you're going to throw Toxic on a Pokemon, you wanna make sure of a few things:

Does it have the bulk to stall so Toxic does its work? In this case, for the most part, it's a yes for Tangrowth. You'll want to keep him far away from special attacks, though he may be able to take, like, one.

Is my Moveset focused around Toxic? And here, no, it's not. I'd suggest throwing in staller moves like Substitute or Protect. Or put on Leech Seed, but that will force your opponent to switch more than anything, if it hasn't already due to Toxic.

Now then, Tangrowth has a plethora of moves available to him. Ones that may be worth looking into are Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, and even Knock Off. Tangrowth's a fine tankish Attack (And Special Attack) monster and YOU MUST LOVE HIM D:<

I'm not terribly competitive though, so I'll allow Red and KoL to correct me if I'm incorrect.

Shinki said:
I hate to be rude, BUT I HAVE THE RIGHT TO SAVE THIS TANGROWTH D:<

I know tentacle raep is fun, but Vine Whip is a terrible Move, and Giga Drain doesn't particularly need to be on there, unless I suppose if you wanna make a Toxic set. Even then, it's iffy. If you're going to throw Toxic on a Pokemon, you wanna make sure of a few things:

Does it have the bulk to stall so Toxic does its work? In this case, for the most part, it's a yes for Tangrowth. You'll want to keep him far away from special attacks, though he may be able to take, like, one.

Is my Moveset focused around Toxic? And here, no, it's not. I'd suggest throwing in staller moves like Substitute or Protect. Or put on Leech Seed, but that will force your opponent to switch more than anything, if it hasn't already due to Toxic.

Now then, Tangrowth has a plethora of moves available to him. Ones that may be worth looking into are Sleep Powder, Stun Spore, and even Knock Off. Tangrowth's a fine tankish Attack (And Special Attack) monster and YOU MUST LOVE HIM D:<

I'm not terribly competitive though, so I'll allow Red and KoL to correct me if I'm incorrect.

Here's a good Tangrowth:

Ability: Chlorophyll
Item: Heat Rock
Nature: Sp. Attack or Speed-boosting
Moveset: Make sure to include Sunny Day and Solar Beam, or send it out with a Pokemon who has Drought (Ninetales can now, or Groudon) or otherwise knows Sunny Day.

Super Speedy Pokemon who reels off Solar Beams. ;)

I actually have a Lv50 Tangrowth for the Battle Frontier with this strategy.

This right here is a pretty good Feraligatr set that I use myself, and it has worked wonders for me:

Feraligatr@Life Orb/Expert Belt/Muscle Band/Wacan Berry
Adamant/Jolly
252 ATK, 252 SPE, 4 HP/SPD/DEF
-Waterfall/Aqua Tail
-Ice Punch
-Earthquake
-Agility

After one Agility, this thing is a nightmare, but if you can pull of two/three...your opponent needs to play carefully. Waterfall or Aqua Tail for STAB(Same Type Attack Bonus, boosts the move by 50% if it is the same type as your pokemon, which this is) depending on how you feel about Aqua Tail's accuracy. Earthquake takes care of pesky Electrics, while Ice Punch can rid you of the Electrics that aren't hit by it, as well as destroy Gliscor and Dragons.

This thing is pure terror because you have a good chance of pulling off at least one Agility, which will double the 'gatr's speed, and possibly put you int Torrent range as well, adding on to the damage output. The choice of item is dependent on your tastes: Life Orb gives the best power boost, but also has the recoil drawback, but that can give you Torrent, so it's kinda hard to decide there. Expert Belt for Super-Effective hits, which you'll more likely than not be dealing out, but if you can't, Muscle Band helps as well. Wacan Berry is just for if you feel that he won't be surviving an Electric attack.

Even against other Water-Types, STAB-boosted, Item-boosted, and possibly even Torrent-Boosted Waterfall/Aqua Tail will hurt. Feraligatr has pretty good natural bulk, but you can forego the listed EVs for more defensive ones if you so wish.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Shocari said:
This right here is a pretty good Feraligatr set that I use myself, and it has worked wonders for me:

Feraligatr@Life Orb/Expert Belt/Muscle Band/Wacan Berry
Adamant/Jolly
252 ATK, 252 SPE, 4 HP/SPD/DEF
-Waterfall/Aqua Tail
-Ice Punch
-Earthquake
-Dragon Dance

Fix'd.

I feel like shooting myself for saying that.

EDIT: Just realized I've helped two people at once with this post - I don't feel like shooting myself anymore.

A

Anonymous

I put swords dance on feral, would that work too?
Anyways I had a stab at fixing these some changes need to be made I know here they are:

Houndoom@ sitrus berry
Will-O-Wisp
Flamethrower

Tangrowth@ Occa Berry
Sludge Bomb
Payback
Giga Drain
Earthquake

Feraligatr@ Wacan Berry
Waterfall
Swords dance

Golem@ Passho Berry
Toxic
Earthquake
Stone Edge
Stealth Rock

Notes: I havn't made any changes to lucario or yanmega if you want to know their movesets check the first post.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
You've definitely made progress:

- Will-O-Wisp on Houndoom is a risky proposition due to Houndoom's defensive frailty - he risks being KO'd very swiftly if he attempts to use Will-O-Wisp against a lot of targets, although it is a potential option as long as you are aware of the risks you run with it. Dark Pulse is a mandatory option for Houndoom since it provides it with a STAB Dark attack. The last move is a bit filler for Houndoom, although Sucker Punch or a good Hidden Power type stand out as the best options at a glance.

- Tangrowth's an odd one - he can do a lot of things quite well, although his Sp.Defense and Speed are his biggest areas of fault. Since your team leans heavily on offense, Tangrowth could probably do with a more defensive, supporting moveset to help out his team-mates. Sleep Powder and Leech Seed is a punishing combination that can force the opponent to have to switch a lot, and with Golem sporting Stealth Rock as well, you can cause a lot of residual damage this way. Tangrowth's final two moves are up to you really, but I would keep in mind that Tangrowth has very nice offenses as well as massive physical defense, so I wouldn't waste Tangrowth's attacking potential here either. Leftovers for the item.

- Feraligatr, as stated, begs for Dragon Dance as his setup move - it is superior to any other he carries. Unfortunately, Dragon Dance is an egg move that'll require re-breeding Feraligatr with someone who learns the move Dragon Dance naturally. Besides Agility (which is sorely inferior to Dragon Dance) Feraligatr's setup options all really require Egg Moves in order to get the most out of Feraligatr, so I would think carefully about breeding a new 'Gatr in an attempt at getting the absolute best out of it.

- Golem would probably prefer a Focus Sash instead of Passho Berry since there's a lot more than just Water out there than can waste him, and Golem really needs the aid in survival. That combined with his use of Stealth Rock leads me to suggest that Golem be your leading Pokemon - send him out first, set up your hazard and attack/use Toxic if you survive long enough to do so - with the Sash, you're guaranteed to get Stealth Rock off if you use it first-turn at least. Explosion is another option to consider for Golem, since it'll likely annihilate whatever your opponent has out and prevent Golem from (eventually) being KO'd in vain.

A

Anonymous

I apoligise for my absence, wi-fi in greece is not cheap! I learnt a valuable lesson when fighting my brother's bayleef, one razor leaf and golem was dead, ill try to improve my movesets and update in a few days when my grandad gives me moar money!