• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Need Help With Mysterial in Battle Revolution

I wasn't sure whether to put this here or in the Pokemon Games Discussion area but anyway, here goes.

I've gotten up to Set 4 in the Masters Tournament of Battle Revolution but I just can't beat Mysterial. Even though I'm using platinum he's attacking me with the same team he used against me in Diamond. I tried using the event Arceus I picked up earlier this week and although it makes getting up to him easier, it still gets owned by his Charizard's Blast burn. His entire team is faster than anything I own and a lot more powerful.

I wanna hear your strategies on beating him, I don't care how cheap they are.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
The Clinic is more focused on team building actually, so if you wanted some help refining your current team/movesets vs Mysterial that'd be fine. Otherwise, this probably best belongs on the general Pokemon gaming board.

What sort of help were you looking for? Just general strategies, or something more indepth? If you're looking for some real help, I'd suggest you list your standard team of 4 Pokemon for this challenge with their movesets/EV training (if you did any). Otherwise, there might not be a whole lot people can help with.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I've not actually gotten this far in the Stargazer Colosseum myself, although that's simply because I've never tried to get beyond Set 3 out of pure laziness.

Show the movesets and Pokemon in your team, and explain in-depth what his strategy is, then we should be able to help. His Charizard having Blast Burn should be indication that he's not using the best movesets in the world.

Well, for starters, I'm using the level 100 team I mentioned in another post since I don't have a team of level 50's just yet. I substituted Skarmory for my event Arceus:

Natasha-Ninetales@Expert Belt
Nature: Modest
Ability: Flash Fire
-Flamethrower
-Energy Ball
-Dark Pulse
-Hypnosis

Tessa-Tyranitar@Chesto Berry
Nature: Relaxed
Ability: Sand Stream
-Crunch
-Stone Edge
-Superpower
-Rest

Caelin-Marowak@Thick Club
Nature: Brave
Ability: Rock Head
-Bonemerang
-Fire Punch
-Stone Edge
-Protect

Renae-Raichu@Sitrus Berry
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Static
-Volt Tackle
-Knock Off
-Focus Punch
-Substitute

Sheldon-Slowking@Leftovers
Nature: Quiet
Ability: Own Tempo
-Psychic
-Shadow Ball
-Surf
-Yawn

Arceus@Life Orb
Nature: Naive
Ability: Multitype
-Judgement
-Roar of Time
-Spatial Rend
-Shadow Force

Then there's Mysterial's lineup. Please note that I don't know his movesets or items exactly, I'm putting down what he has used against me in the past:

Palkia@White Herb
Ability: Pressure
-Surf
-Ice Beam
-Draco Meteor
-Flamethrower

Garchomp@Yache Berry
Ability: Sand Veil
-Stone Edge
-Dragon Claw
-Protect
-? ? ? ?

Lucario@? ? ? ?
Ability:? ? ? ?
-Aura Sphere
-Dark Pulse
-Protect
-? ? ? ?

Snorlax@Leftovers
Ability:? ? ? ?
-Curse
-Body Slam
-Brick Break
-Crunch

Charizard@? ? ? ?
Ability: Blaze
-Protect
-Blast Burn
-Air Slash
-Focus Blast

Uxie@? ? ? ?
Ability: Levitate
-Calm Mind
-Psychic
-Thunderbolt
-? ? ? ? (I'm assuming protect)

His Lucario and Garchomp are pretty rubbish since his Garchomp tried spamming Stone Edge on things it could have Earthquaked, so I'm assuming it doesn't know it. His Lucario can also be outrun by my Ninetales so that's not an issue. The main annoyances are his Palkia, for the fact that it's an annoying as hell uber, his Charizard, since it can outrun almost anything of mine and takes great pleasure in Blast Burning and Focus Blasting my counters for it, and his Snorlax since it's almost indestructible. Any help on how to beat him would be appreciated.

Not bad...however, I do see some things worth pointing:

Ninetales is fine as it is, but I would consider replacing Hypnosis with Shadow Ball.

Tyranitar, oh god, could get rid of Rest and/or Crunch for moves like Earthquake or Payback. Also, a good Item like Salac Berry of Focus Band would go great withTyranitar, as it can make it hard to beat.

Marowak is good, as Boomerang and Thick Club is a great combo. The only thing I'd concern is Protect. It's fine, but if you somehow don't like it, perhaps Swords Dance or Endure can help.

Raichu is good overall except Knock Off. If you don't know what Item his Pokemon are holding, consider switching to suitable moves such as Feint (since most of them have Protect) or Fire/Ice Punch. Also, try having it hold Focus Sash, for less chances of it fainting.

Slowking is good...however, I would highly suggest you replace Yawn with a excelent move, such as Ice Beam, Grass Knot, or Flamethrower. Many people do not know that Slowpoke and it's evos have the advantage of learning fFire-type moves.

Arceus is actually perfect for the team! How the hell did you get it with Roar of Time Spacial Rend, and Shadow Force?

My advice is rather decent in these situations, but if you want the best, King of Lucario is the Doctor. He will give you the best advice, and I'll let him judge my advice.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
First judgment to pass for your advice is that Ninetales cannot learn Shadow Ball at all. Secondly, there's nothing wrong with Yawn on Slowking at all, and to round it all off, Salac Tyranitar is still horribly slow and Focus Band isn't worth using on anything, not that the Sash helps Tyranitar any either, and Substitute + Sash on Raichu should immediately look stupid to anyone since it's a one-way ticket to rendering your hold item absolutely useless in one single turn. Your advice isn't terrible, but it's flawed, and this wouldn't be the first time either.

Now, for the specifics with dealing with your opponent:

- First big issue is Arceus. One word: Plates. Arceus's Plates can change his type to anything you want it to be, and this will also change the type of his Judgment as well as boost its power by 20%, which essentially lets you turn Arceus into a great counter-attacker to wipe out his team's big threats. My personal recommendation would be to use a Splash Plate to turn Arceus into a Water-type - Charizard won't be able to damage Arceus much and Judgment will likely OHKO it back, removing it from the equation. Palkia similarly should fall pretty fast to either Spacial Rend or Roar of Time. Give Arceus 10 Carbos and 10 Calcium to get some EVs on the set, since that should aid you greatly.

- Giving Ninetales Will-O-Wisp can effectively ruin Snorlax since it lacks Rest. After that, unless it Curses a lot it'll be unable to harm you much. Marowak should be able to beat Snorlax one on one unless Snorlax has Cursed repeatedly beforehand. Ninetales's Flash Fire should help stick it to Charizard's Blast Burn as well.

- Going back to 'Zard, Blast Burn is more of an exploitable weakness than a strength due to the recharge turn - be sure to capitalize on its turn of inactivity in order to wreak some havoc on his team.

Overall, Arceus is probably the key to beating him since you can alter its type to best suit your needs. Other than that, strategy is likely the key here - good prediction will aid you greatly in beating him since it'll make Protect significantly less of an issue.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Marowak is good, as Boomerang and Thick Club is a great combo. The only thing I'd concern is Protect. It's fine, but if you somehow don't like it, perhaps Swords Dance or Endure can help.

Heh, Protect is actually one of the better attacks to use for double battles IMO. Not only does it defend your Pokemon when their partner is using a hit-all-on-the-field attack like Surf, EQ, and Explosion - it allows you to stall while figuring out the opponent's strategy AND may act as a buffer if both opponents attacked the Protected Pokemon (which does happen quite often in PBR if you have a common weakness). Protect on Marowak is a great move, especially when his Slowking uses Surf. :)

KoL's suggestions are all good, especially for Arceus. I support Will-o-Wisp on Ninetales, too. It's a lovely thing~

My little extra suggestion would be to try swapping Wise Glasses with the Expert Belt on Ninetales. I realize there's a 10% difference between Expert Belt's SE boost and Wise Glasses' standard power boost, but Wise Glasses is a bit more reliable overall. In the end, it's your call. I'm just speaking from personal preference.

Everything else looks good to me. I'm just curious to know which four Pokemon of those six you usually use when facing Mysterial (aside from Arceus and Ninetales).

Alright, after many retries, I finally managed to beat him using Arceus, Slowking, Marowak and Tyranitar, albeit I won only by the skin of my teeth. Here's how it went.

I took KoL's advice and gave Arceus a Splash Plate butMysterial didn't use his Charizard this time and instead led off with his Palkia and Garchomp. I led with Arceus and Slowking. Now, for whatever reason, Mysterial decided that Slowking was a bigger threat than Arceus, so he gang attacked it with Garchomp's Dragon Claw and Palkia's Draco Meteor. Slowking went down but it gave Arceus a chance to blast Palkia with Spatial Rend, taking out a huge chunk of it's HP. I then sent out Marowak to lull him into using surf, which he did. Marowak and Garchomp protectec whilst Arceus and Palkia squared off. Arceus took little damage from surf and destroyed Palkia with another Spatial Rend. Mysterial then sent out his Snorlax. His Garchomp managed to get a lucky critical hit on Arceus, but not before Arceus obliterated it with Roar of Time. Marowak knocked off heaps of Snorlax's HP with Bonemerang and Snorlax finished Arceus with a Brick Break.

Uxie and Tyranitar finally came in to square off. Thinking his Uxie would use Psychic on Marowak straight off, I made him use Protect which was useless since Uxie used Calm Mind instead. Tyranitar Crunched Uxie, but Uxie's defence must have been higher than I thought and it survived. Snorlax proceeded to use Curse. I tried protect again but as usual it failed on the second try and Uxie took out Marowak with Psychic. Tyranitar avenged Marowak and Crunched Uxie, this time taking out. Snorlax I thought was going to use Brick Break on Tyranitar, but instead used Body Slam. Body Slam failed to paralyze Tyranitar and I finished Snorlax off with Superpower.

All in all it was an epic battle of epic proportions, now I just need to beat him again in set 8 :D. Though I think for that one I'll need a team of ubers. Thanks for the tips all, most of them helped a lot and I'm sure I'll be better prepared for him next time around thanks to you guys.

Congratulations! Now, for the eigth battle, I won't give you any moves or Items, but I can give you the best of ubers:

The same Arceus with Splash Plate, Palkia, either Lugia or Ho-Oh (your choiice), Mewtwo or Mew (again, you decide), Darkrai (Dark Void is really usefull here), and Marowak (not an uber, but useful).

As usual, you don't have to take the advice given, but please crave for DLG's. He's gives you the best advantage! Good luck on your next battle with him!