• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Need a team that can beat Palmer!

I need a team for Platinum so I can finally beat that dang Battle Tower and Palmer! >:( Here's my current team:

Electivire-Hold:Expert Belt
Thunderpunch
Fire Punch
Brick Break
Earthquake

Blastoise-Hold:Splash Plate
Avalanche
Skull Bash
Aqua Tail
Iron Defense

Tyranitar-Hold:Quick Claw
Crunch
Aerial Ace
Earthquake
Stone Edge

All have better Attack than Sp. Attack. I'll change any Pokemon except for Electivire ;D, so I can beat the crap out of Palmer instead of losing at battle 20, like always!

That Milotic's fourth move is likely to be attract.

Anyway, you will need a sturdy Electric type for Milotic; Electivire fits the bill perfectly.

Dragonite can easily be taken down by an Ice Beam coming from a Pokemon with a high SpA, and preferably Ice type also for STAB bonus. Vaporeon would be a solid bet.

Rhyperior should be no problem for a water type. Ludicolo or Politoed in particular would be very effective as they can resist Earthquake.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Actually, Milotic's fourth move is Dragon Pulse is my memory serves correctly.

The best way to beat Milotic is actually to stall it out. Trying to kill it fast usually ends badly, but something with sufficient defensive and healing capability can easily wall and kill it off.

Rhyperior is pretty easy - any STAB super-effective special attack will OHKO it easily before it even has a chance to attack. Dragonite likewise suffers massive damage from any Ice-type attacks and can be felled relatively easily also...

...which ultimately means that your Blastoise should be able to beat down all three of them with this:

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Torrent
Bold
252 HP/200 DEF/52 SP.DEF

- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Slow, but as I said, potentially Blastoise can beat all three opponents alone if all goes well. Milotic's Hypnosis is effectively countered by Sleep Talk - although you won't be able to kill it off quickly, it won't be able to damage you much either...and you can heal yourself whereas it can't. Unless you get very unlucky, Milotic should go down slowly, but without too much difficulty. Rhyperior gets devastated by Surf/Hydro Pump, and Dragonite should easily fall to Ice Beam - even if it doesn't OHKO it, you should be able to take whatever attack gets used on you easily and retaliate with a second Ice Beam to take the match.

Actually, Milotic's fourth move is Dragon Pulse is my memory serves correctly.

The best way to beat Milotic is actually to stall it out. Trying to kill it fast usually ends badly, but something with sufficient defensive and healing capability can easily wall and kill it off.

Rhyperior is pretty easy - any STAB super-effective special attack will OHKO it easily before it even has a chance to attack. Dragonite likewise suffers massive damage from any Ice-type attacks and can be felled relatively easily also...

...which ultimately means that your Blastoise should be able to beat down all three of them with this:

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Torrent
Bold
252 HP/200 DEF/52 SP.DEF

- Surf/Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

Slow, but as I said, potentially Blastoise can beat all three opponents alone if all goes well. Milotic's Hypnosis is effectively countered by Sleep Talk - although you won't be able to kill it off quickly, it won't be able to damage you much either...and you can heal yourself whereas it can't. Unless you get very unlucky, Milotic should go down slowly, but without too much difficulty. Rhyperior gets devastated by Surf/Hydro Pump, and Dragonite should easily fall to Ice Beam - even if it doesn't OHKO it, you should be able to take whatever attack gets used on you easily and retaliate with a second Ice Beam to take the match.

Okay, but where do you find Leftovers?
And I was thinking of replacing my Tyranitar with my Dusknoir:

Dusknoir@(havn't decided)
Focus Blast (helps against Rhyperior)
Ice Punch (OHKO against Dragonite)
Will-O-Wisp (Wittle down any one else)
Shadow Punch (STAB)

If my memory serves me right, his legendarie team is Regigigas, Heatran and Cresselia. So Water types and Ghost types would be handy for that team. As for the battle you are doing, Electivire knowing Earthquake would be a good tactic against his Rhyperior.

Now that I've know how own Palmer, I have a new problem. I need a competitive/in-game team. Here's what I've got so far:

Electivire@Expert Belt
Thunderpunch
Fire Punch
Brick Break
Earthquake

Dusknoir@Wide Lens
Focus Blast
Ice Punch
Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Punch

Pigeot@(Don't know what to give)
Steel Wing
Aerial Ace
Fly
Tailwind

Not sure about other 3 members and feel free to change these three too.

Now that I've know how own Palmer, I have a new problem. I need a competitive/in-game team. Here's what I've got so far:

Electivire@Expert Belt
Thunderpunch
Fire Punch
Brick Break
Earthquake

Dusknoir@Wide Lens
Focus Blast
Ice Punch
Will-O-Wisp
Shadow Punch

Pigeot@(Don't know what to give)
Steel Wing
Aerial Ace
Fly
Tailwind

Not sure about other 3 members and feel free to change these three too.

Competitive and in-game don't cross paths; any team works in-game after all. If you are looking to build a competitive team you will need to post EV's also.

Hmm, well to be honest, it's not a great start starting out with three physical sweepers.

Electivire looks good.

Dusknoir could do with an EV reset and set up as a wall as he has an abysmal speed stat and even with the EVs you have put into it, he can get to around a max 150 and that's WITH a speed boosting nature. Setting his EVs to his two defenses would be better. Since they are insanely good, maybe pop in something like 200D/200SpD/108A. That would he has 325 in both defenses, that's nature aside, and still have a respectible attack.

Focus Blast ain't a great one to have in there due to Dusknoir's terrible SpA. Perhaps Toxic or Pain Split would be good, or even Calm Mind.

As for Pidgeot, I have tried him myself and what I found was his big downfall was his moveset sucks. Swellow and Staraptor fulfill all the same roles but better. But if you really want Pidgeot, you are doing ok, but get rid of Fly; two turn moves are a no-no in competitive play. Facade or Toxic might make a better replacement.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
A few things to gloss over:

Leftovers can be gotten from wild Munchlax, and can also be gotten from Battle Rev. if you have it. The easiest way to get Leftovers is from the two Snorlax in FireRed/LeafGreen - use the Itemfinder next to the spots where they lay, then pick up the Leftovers and transfer them over via Pal Park.

Electivire knowing Earthquake would be a good tactic against his Rhyperior.

Two things you're forgetting: Rhyperior's Solid Rock ability and its absolutely massive Defense and HP stats. Earthquake will very likely not be enough to OHKO it, and it will have little trouble OHKO'ing you back if you're using an Electivire. I suggest you read the rules of the Clinic board, since poor advice is punishable if given repeatedly.

Back on topic. For your competitive/in-game team, the best idea for that would simply be to use the team you used against Palmer - odds are, if you can take Palmer down with your team, that team will do fine competitively also.

Thanks, I'm gonna replace Pidgeot with Staraptor, and got an Umbreon from my friend too now:

Umbreon (252 Def, 252 Sp. Def, 6 Hp)
Subsitute
Toxic
Dark Pulse
Moonlight

Made to be an annoyer

Nice looking Umbreon, I've seen that build put to great use before. Justmake sure you use the right balance of Substitutes and Moonlights; overdoing Substitute can end up just wasting your time.

So on a full team basis, you have wall Umbreon and wall Dusknoir, and physical sweepers Electivire and Staraptor. A special sweeper seems like a given here, maybe a fire such as Arcanine or Infernape, or a water such as Floatzel or Kingdra. Your Blastoise could also be a good option to fulfill the role of a third and final wall, a rapid spinner, and a good special hitter by giving him moves like Surf (since his SpA base stat is actually higher than his base A). A Stealth Rocker like Aerodactyl or Skarmory could fit well also.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
A few changes for you:

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Careful
Synchronize
252 SP.DEF/252 HP/6 DEF

- Toxic
- Dig/Taunt
- Mean Look
- Rest/Moonlight

You want annoying? This is the epitome of annoying - this is my Umbreon and it has created a bucketload of annoyance and fury in the past as it slowly torments its victims and wears them down. Toxic/Mean Look is the key to this set - as long as Umbreon stays in, the opponent can't switch out once you've used Mean Look, which means they can do nothing but watch helplessly as Toxic eats through their HP with its gradually increasing damage. Dig is basically a damaging Protect here - it speeds up the damage a bit whilst making you invincible for one turn, and losing one turn against this thing can be very costly with Toxic's constant damage. Rest works best here since with Toxic, you don't really need to be awake to KO your opponent, plus it gets extra PP, isn't screwed by Sandstorm/Rain and also prevents your opponent from using Toxic on you. Suffers a bit against Poison/Steel-types, but if you manage to trap and Toxic something that can't KO you in 2 hits, your victim is as good as dead unless they get a lucky crit.

Other notes: the EVs are spread to make Umbreon a Sp.Defender - it really needs Max HP to operate, and Umbreon's physical walling abilities are hindered somewhat by its Fighting-type weakness - on the Special side, it doesn't really have many weaknesses to speak of besides Bug Buzz, Focus Blast and Aura Sphere, all of which are uncommon at best. No STAB attacks since Umbreon's offenses are piss-poor as it is, even with STAB. Dig is included since it works well with Toxic's steadily increasing damage.

How about these to fill those gaps?

Aerodactayl
Stealth Rock
Roar
Stone Edge/Rock Slide
Aerial Ace

Arcanine
Flare Blitz/Flame Wheel/Fire Fang
Take Down
Swords Dance
(Can't decide on 4th move......)

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Arcanine can't learn Swords Dance, so if you somehow got one with that move, it's been hacked. However, you could try this out:

Arcanine @ Salac Berry/Liechi Berry
252 ATK/252 SPEED/6 HP
Adamant
Flash Fire

- Flare Blitz
- Reversal
- ExtremeSpeed
- Endure

Designed to hit hard and fast. STAB'ed Flare Blitz is deadly on Arcanine, and anything that doesn't resist it or pack a massive Defense stat will suffer, especially if you manage to snatch a Flash Fire boost. Endure will drop your HP to 1 if you suffer a deadly attack, which will trigger the Berry you have and bring Reversal's power up to 200, allowing you to hit unbelivably hard. ExtremeSpeed rounds off the set nicely, giving you a revenge-kill attack to surprise opponents that would otherwise outspeed you.

Here's an idea for Aerodactyl:

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
252 SPEED/252 ATK/6 HP
Jolly
Pressure

- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Suicidal lead of sorts. If another, slower lead comes in trying to set up Stealth Rocks, you can Taunt them to prevent it and then set up your Stealth Rock the next turn. The Sash will protect you during the setup nicely, and if you manage to survive the setup you can start murdering stuff with your STAB Stone Edge and Earthquake, the latter of which is stronger than STAB Aerial Ace and grants you a move to pound Steel-types with. A simple set, but an effective one when employed correctly.

Here's an idea for Aerodactyl:

Aerodactyl @ Focus Sash
252 SPEED/252 ATK/6 HP
Jolly
Pressure

- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge

Suicidal lead of sorts. If another, slower lead comes in trying to set up Stealth Rocks, you can Taunt them to prevent it and then set up your Stealth Rock the next turn. The Sash will protect you during the setup nicely, and if you manage to survive the setup you can start murdering stuff with your STAB Stone Edge and Earthquake, the latter of which is stronger than STAB Aerial Ace and grants you a move to pound Steel-types with. A simple set, but an effective one when employed correctly.

I can vouch for this one, I use the same build and it works wonders as a lead.