• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Ask to Join Naruto: Shinobi Road (Discussion & Sign Ups)

Let's get some discussion in, get a few things sorted and out of the way before they pop up otherwise.

• Tailed Beasts
  • Sage Mode
  • Curse Mark
  • Mangekyou Sharingan
  • Rinnegan
  • etc.
Power-ups in general that aren't just your standard shinobi workman-ship.

How closely do we stick to canon, are we allowing original variants of these things (no original tailed beasts, we don't need any more than the 9 that exists and other beast-like creatures) these kinds of questions should be answered ahead of time.

Let's take things one at a time.

First off, the tailed beasts.

@DarkHydraT @Retro Master @5DigitNeb @Killerbunny the god @Joelkjn the fox @Godjacob @Mystic Zander @Sarah316 @Sky5372 @Hungry Badass @Nukas @Swirled @Grand Master Koop @kyuukestu

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
Let's get some discussion in, get a few things sorted and out of the way before they pop up otherwise.

• Tailed Beasts
  • Sage Mode
  • Curse Mark
  • Mangekyou Sharingan
  • Rinnegan
  • etc.

How closely do we stick to canon, are we allowing original variants of these things (no original tailed beasts, we don't need any more than the 9 that exists and other beast-like creatures) these kinds of questions should be answered ahead of time.

@DarkHydraT @Retro Master @5DigitNeb @Killerbunny the god @Joelkjn the fox @Godjacob @Mystic Zander @Sarah316 @Sky5372 @Hungry Badass @Nukas @Swirled @Grand Master Koop @kyuukestu
I'd say don't use tailed beasts or rinnegan for our characters and curse mark only if someone decides to take orochimaru and have a relationship with our characters, same thing with sage mode with jiraiya cuz nobody's gonna find out where ryuchi cave is unless you're orochimaru himself. For Mangekyou Sharingan I'd say the only limits are no Perfect Susanoo.

I'd say don't use tailed beasts or rinnegan for our characters and curse mark only if someone decides to take orochimaru and have a relationship with our characters, same thing with sage mode with jiraiya cuz nobody's gonna find out where ryuchi cave is unless you're orochimaru himself. For Mangekyou Sharingan I'd say the only limits are no Perfect Susanoo.
Well, pretty sure everyone in Naruto AU knows my stance on these techniques specifically with how scaling works.

I'll wait to see what everyone else comments first though.

Actually I’m not sure about what your stance is
Things scale is my stance.

The Perfect Susano is strong, but it's only as strong as the user.

The MS is strong, but equally, only really as strong as the user.

The Uchiha we're shown in the show just happen to all be ridiculously strong. For example, Tsukuyomi does really appear to be an insta-win if you get hit, but it's a bit hard to say how true that is. Itachi's never actually used Tsukiyomi on someone who was even near his level. He's used it on Kakashi in Part 1, but Itachi in part 1 is way beyond Kakashi.

As of Itachi's little fight with Kakashi, Orochimaru had already joined the Akatsuki, tried to take Itachi's body, gotten clobbered, and ran away.

Orochimaru is already pretty far beyond Kakashi, so for Itachi who clobbered Orochimaru, he's even further beyond Kakashi.

Similarly, the Perfect Susano. It's only been used by Madara and Sasuke. Both of them are already ridiculously strong on their own even without it. It's a strong technique no doubt about that, but if the 5 Kage who are all significantly weaker than Madara can damage his Susano, then someone on a similar level would be able to destroy it i.e. Hashirama

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas

• Tailed Beasts
  • Sage Mode
  • Curse Mark
  • Mangekyou Sharingan
  • Rinnegan
  • etc.

I think Curse marks make for a good like genin opposition type thing since in my mind, a genin with a curse Mark is basically equivalent to an experienced chunin, and that might be equivalent to like 3 or 4 genin. Sage mode is a cool power booster when done correctly, but that should be much later on (and maybe not like perfect sage mode like Naruto and something more along the lines of Jiraiya sage mode) Also I feel like snakes and toads should not be the only sage summons and we could have custom sage summons (just my opinion) Also while I'm not a fan of Mangekyou sharingan, as long as we don't go into EMS we'll be fine. I'm just going to be 95% against rinnegan unless there is only one rinnegan user far in the future and it can't be acquired through sharingan hacks. Tailed Beasts are always going to exist, but perfect jinchurikis are hard to come by so take that as you will. These are just my opinions on the subjects.

I think Curse marks make for a good like genin opposition type thing since in my mind, a genin with a curse Mark is basically equivalent to an experienced chunin, and that might be equivalent to like 3 or 4 genin.
Well, it does depend on their curse mark. Some Curse marks are far stronger than others, like Sasuke and Kimimaro's curse marks.

Sage mode is a cool power booster when done correctly, but that should be much later on (and maybe not like perfect sage mode like Naruto and something more along the lines of Jiraiya sage mode)
It certainly later on, but I disagree with it not being perfect Sage Mode.

Reason being an unperfect sage mode, especially like the one Jiraiya used, can be very abusable. Well, not the Sage mode itself, but the toad fusion. That essentially grants you a limitless duration of sage mode as the toads can gather chakra while you fight. In addition, they're fighters in their own right and can assist you.

Also I feel like snakes and toads should not be the only sage summons and we could have custom sage summons (just my opinion)

Noted.

Also while I'm not a fan of Mangekyou sharingan, as long as we don't go into EMS we'll be fine.
That's essentially forcing all the MS users to go blind though.

I'm just going to be 95% against rinnegan unless there is only one rinnegan user far in the future and it can't be acquired through sharingan hacks.
The Rinnegan...well, the only reasonable way to acquire it would be to become the Jinchuriki of the ten tails. That would grant you Hagoromo's chakra and awaken the Rinnegan.

but to become the jinchuriki of the ten tails you need to be able to summon the Gedo mazu...which requires the rinnegan. It's kind of a dead end there unless you manage to acquire it through more natural means.

Tailed Beasts are always going to exist, but perfect jinchurikis are hard to come by so take that as you will. These are just my opinions on the subjects.

Noted.

Nukas

Previously Kid_Nukas
Well, it does depend on their curse mark. Some Curse marks are far stronger than others, like Sasuke and Kimimaro's curse marks.
In all fairness, those curse marks were both used on characters with really strong kekkei genkai and part 1 naruto was able to almost tie with curse mark Sasuke. Either way it has potential for a good villain arc.
It certainly later on, but I disagree with it not being perfect Sage Mode.

Reason being an unperfect sage mode, especially like the one Jiraiya used, can be very abusable. Well, not the Sage mode itself, but the toad fusion. That essentially grants you a limitless duration of sage mode as the toads can gather chakra while you fight. In addition, they're fighters in their own right and can assist you.
While I do see what you are saying, that is still hard to abuse. It took ages for Jiraiya to summon the elder frogs to fuse with. In a fight not many people would be able to survive without using their hands for as long as Jiraiya was able to. That's why he barely ever used it, even though it was very useful. Perfect sage mode just makes you too powerful, although the time limit is a nice touch to make it actually fair.
That's essentially forcing all the MS users to go blind though.
It gives a limit to using the Mangekyou so that it's not as overpowered and has a cost for using it.

In all fairness, those curse marks were both used on characters with really strong kekkei genkai and part 1 naruto was able to almost tie with curse mark Sasuke. Either way it has potential for a good villain arc.
Part 1 Naruto...One-tailed Cloak Naruto. I'm not too sure how strong that is.

You can match Curse Mark Stage 2 to a Version 1 One-tailed Cloak, but how strong that cloak is compared to others is a bit difficult.

Version 2 Four-Tails Cloak is about as strong as a Sanin. Fours tails managed to almost kill base Jiraiya, but a much stronger Naruto used it against Orochimaru and he was only like...on par. That's against an Orochimaru who couldn't use his jutsu properly after Hiruzen damaged his soul in Part 1.

I agree that it would probably boost you to maybe Chunin level or so...but that's as specific as I can get with what I can recall.

While I do see what you are saying, that is still hard to abuse. It took ages for Jiraiya to summon the elder frogs to fuse with. In a fight not many people would be able to survive without using their hands for as long as Jiraiya was able to. That's why he barely ever used it, even though it was very useful. Perfect sage mode just makes you too powerful, although the time limit is a nice touch to make it actually fair.
You can't move at all when becoming a perfect sage though. So the restrictions for that are even higher. The only way to transform into a perfect Sage as fast as Naruto or Minato does is to do just that, be either Naruto or Minato, more precisely, you need to be both a Perfect Sage & a Perfect Jinchuriki, then the time limit for Sage Mode can be reduced via the Tailed Beast's help.

Jiraiya's mode is still way easier since he can still move while doing it, unlike the perfect motionlessness needed for Naruto's Sage Mode. (Prior to him becoming a Perfect Jinchuriki.)

The Shadow Clone method is also somewhat feasible...but not really. Naruto's kind of the god of shadow clones. It's explained a few times that he's so familiar with the technique that his clones can do things other's cant, e.g. using them to train Rasenshuriken.

Kakashi specifically says it's something that could only be used by someone as skilled with shadow clones as Naruto. Anyone else would've collapsed from the sheer number of clones and exhaustion that would be transferred back to them.

And even someone like Naruto can only create 5 shadow clones total while charging Sage Chakra...that's from like 2,000 down to 5, it's a pretty heavy nerf on its own.

It gives a limit to using the Mangekyou so that it's not as overpowered and has a cost for using it.

Hmmmm. It'll be just as powerful, it only limits is usage. Well, I'll see what the other opinions are.

Similarly, the Perfect Susano. It's only been used by Madara and Sasuke. Both of them are already ridiculously strong on their own even without it. It's a strong technique no doubt about that, but if the 5 Kage who are all significantly weaker than Madara can damage his Susano, then someone on a similar level would be able to destroy it i.e. Hashirama

And again, there is a fallacy with this argument. a Non-Perfect Susanoo by its very nature would be more vulnerable than a Perfect one regardless of power. We never saw any sign of the Perfect Susanoo being damaged or broken in canon even by opponents close or at equal strength, such as Naruto vs. Sasuke in their rematch at the Valley of the End.

My stance is simple, I think non-Perfect Jinchuriki can be okay but I'd prefer not to go that direction. The use of Perfect Jinchuriki or Full Tailed Beasts is something I am very much against in our Part 1 of the narrative. As we saw in the AU, using such stuff early creates big story issues.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
I think Curse marks make for a good like genin opposition type thing since in my mind, a genin with a curse Mark is basically equivalent to an experienced chunin, and that might be equivalent to like 3 or 4 genin. Sage mode is a cool power booster when done correctly, but that should be much later on (and maybe not like perfect sage mode like Naruto and something more along the lines of Jiraiya sage mode) Also I feel like snakes and toads should not be the only sage summons and we could have custom sage summons (just my opinion) Also while I'm not a fan of Mangekyou sharingan, as long as we don't go into EMS we'll be fine. I'm just going to be 95% against rinnegan unless there is only one rinnegan user far in the future and it can't be acquired through sharingan hacks. Tailed Beasts are always going to exist, but perfect jinchurikis are hard to come by so take that as you will. These are just my opinions on the subjects.
EMS is fine just make it so all it does is make you not go blind.

I'm saying no tailed beasts cuz we don't need to include jinchuriki characters in this RP.

• Tailed Beasts
  • Sage Mode
  • Curse Mark
  • Mangekyou Sharingan
  • Rinnegan
  • etc.

Tailed Beasts are fine as long as the regular 9 are there, no one pulls one out at the start and no one becomes a perfect jinchuriki really soon. These things hate humans don't they? So it just makes sense for them to only allow humans to fully use their powers after a damn long time.

Sage Mode is kinda iffy, but I agree with Nukas. Original sage animals are a fun idea, but stuff like Ryuchi Cave should not be encountered nilly-willy

Curse Marks are fine as long as they're used in moderation. Like 1 Curse Mark to 10 regular persons or so? And unless you meet Orochimaru, I don't see how you even get a Curse Mark. That and Curse Mark lvl 1 is the most I am willing to deal with right now, no Curse Mark lvl 2 as those make you jonin level or something.

Mangekyou Sharingan is not something I am a fan of, the abilities are incredibly strong from what is shown. Either we need to add bigger drawbacks, like severe bed rest for a week or longer or something like that. Maybe a limit on the powers as well? Like three uses each day?

Rinnegan is a pain to get, and since Pain is the only with it, I am okay with it as long as someone doesn't just steal one of his eyes or does an asspull like 'Oh, my great-great-great-great something parents were related to Hagoromo' or something like that. The only OC I can see gaining the Rinnegan is Shihasu, and even that is something I will heavily frown upon

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
The only OC I can see gaining the Rinnegan is Shihasu, and even that is something I will heavily frown upon
You forgot Airi and Zadol.
Mangekyou Sharingan is not something I am a fan of, the abilities are incredibly strong from what is shown. Either we need to add bigger drawbacks, like severe bed rest for a week or longer or something like that. Maybe a limit on the powers as well? Like three uses each day?
Lel I remember when you tried to make your CoDA character have tsukuyomi and amaterasu.

Rinnegan is a pain to get, and since Pain is the only with it, I am okay with it as long as someone doesn't just steal one of his eyes or does an asspull like 'Oh, my great-great-great-great something parents were related to Hagoromo' or something like that. The only OC I can see gaining the Rinnegan is Shihasu, and even that is something I will heavily frown upon

Any Uchiha can get it, which is BS but it is what it is. I hate that concept myself but it is not just limited to one option among our cast. I really don't think one of our OCs getting a Rinnegan is needed or improves the plot.

And again, there is a fallacy with this argument. a Non-Perfect Susanoo by its very nature would be more vulnerable than a Perfect one regardless of power. We never saw any sign of the Perfect Susanoo being damaged or broken in canon even by opponents close or at equal strength, such as Naruto vs. Sasuke in their rematch at the Valley of the End.

My stance is simple, I think non-Perfect Jinchuriki can be okay but I'd prefer not to go that direction. The use of Perfect Jinchuriki or Full Tailed Beasts is something I am very much against in our Part 1 of the narrative. As we saw in the AU, using such stuff early creates big story issues.
Hashirama totaled Marada's perfect Susano while it was cloaking the Kyuubi.

The valley of the end fight between Naruto and Sasuke...well you can rewatch the fight and you'll notice that the Sasuke's perfect Sasano didn't really get...hit directly with any extremely strong attacks.

They clashed with a punch

It got toss-slammed

and they had two major jutsu clashes
upload_2019-6-12_13-0-7.png

Biju vs Chidori-thingy

upload_2019-6-12_13-0-37.png

which did result in damage as you can clearly see, sections of the Sasano...like its arm are missing, and this wasn't even a direct hit.

Post this point in the fight you have the Indra-Sasano which is buffed by the chakra of all the tailed beasts, and that's not really the same thing as the regular perfect susano.

I also never made mention to the time period. It would be an assumption, and a wrong one, to believe I want to introduce these things at the moment. I'm rather preoccupied just doing all the background work for this current arc ~w~

EMS removes any flaws or weaknesses with the MS granting the Uchiha cast 2-3 abilities that are very strong is not in OP territory on top of their usual skill set without any draw backs. EMS is a bigger issue than you think.

I'm just saying like how Itachi got very exhausted from using Tsukuyomi still happens just you don't become blind.

....Itachi never had EMS, which is kinda my point as this is one of the weaknesses it removes. Fatigue of using the high level techniques.

Also Tsukuyomi is cheating and there is no way anyone gets out of it if they are caught XD

Keep the fatigue is what I'm saying.

Regarding the EMS and chakra exhaustion, that is a valid point. Spamming MS abilities shouldn't be a thing. Note however that the only EMS users we see have massive chakra reserves from their god-reincarnations. So I mean nyeh.

I can agree that EMS shouldn't be handled to the level where someone can casually throw out perfect Susano's like Madara.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
I think Rinnegan should just be like a really rare Uzumaki Dojutsu in our RP since it's technically an AU so we can change some things. Who here is gonna use a character slot to make a Jinchuriki is my question on tailed beasts.

This one gave me a little thought. @DarkHydraT i would like to say that @5DigitNeb is right about Zadol and Airi, but with Ayano as the "head" of the new akatsuki (@Joelkjn the fox i hope you know what i mean with the quotation marks), she can also get it (i wouldn't actually give it to her unless it was for plot convenience like this could be). I think it could be good to use it but maybe only with one eye or something. Airi and Ayano could steal the eyes from Pain as Joel did say he wanted Airi to kill Pain later in the RP. It could give the other people a harder time defeating them and would be a good reason for them to get stronger

The reason they share the eyes evenly could be because they helped each other out with both Konan and Nagato

I don't agree with Perfect Susanoo cuz unless you're a kage level fighter you can't even scratch it.

I do think each MS ability needs an actual drawback to it. Amaterasu is a death sentence if your character doesn't have literal lightning quick or move at lightning speeds (Which is arguably the "easiest" thing in canon to deal with), Tsukuyomi is flat out unbeatable and Perfect Susanoo requires you to be Kage+ to deal with (Nobody who has this is gonna be weak).

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
I do think each MS ability needs an actual drawback to it. Amaterasu is a death sentence if your character doesn't have literal lightning quick or move at lightning speeds (Which is arguably the "easiest" thing in canon to deal with), Tsukuyomi is flat out unbeatable and Perfect Susanoo requires you to be Kage+ to deal with (Nobody who has this is gonna be weak).
MS was just OP in canon tbh it's not even necessary in our RP. Just extra powers that needs a lot of effort to balance and even then unless a closely related family member has MS too it'd make you go blind.

Tailed Beasts are fine as long as the regular 9 are there, no one pulls one out at the start and no one becomes a perfect jinchuriki really soon. These things hate humans don't they? So it just makes sense for them to only allow humans to fully use their powers after a damn long time.

Sage Mode is kinda iffy, but I agree with Nukas. Original sage animals are a fun idea, but stuff like Ryuchi Cave should not be encountered nilly-willy

Curse Marks are fine as long as they're used in moderation. Like 1 Curse Mark to 10 regular persons or so? And unless you meet Orochimaru, I don't see how you even get a Curse Mark. That and Curse Mark lvl 1 is the most I am willing to deal with right now, no Curse Mark lvl 2 as those make you jonin level or something.

Things like Sage Mode will require time and a good lengthy training process, we're not pulling any of this out now. I also don't see any of the current cast becoming jinchuriki...cause why would they?

Finding Ryuchi Cave is fine in my book because anyone who attempted it would just be committing suicide xD

Orochimaru found the cave and his body was considered too weak to withstand Snake Sage Mode. Usually, the White Snake Sage would just eat you, but I figure a Sannin is strong enough to survive the encounter. As for a genin finding Ryuchi Cave?

100% Snake Food.

Multiplier such as Sage Mode and Curse Mark leap from the user's base state, so just calling it 10 regular shinobi is kinda nyeh. We'd need to discuss how it strengthens the user.

As for the MS, your opinion has been noted.
Any Uchiha can get it, which is BS but it is what it is. I hate that concept myself but it is not just limited to one option among our cast. I really don't think one of our OCs getting a Rinnegan is needed or improves the plot.

You need a sibling who's also activated MS to get EMS, so no, every Uchiha cannon get EMS.

MS was just OP in canon tbh it's not even necessary in our RP. Just extra powers that needs a lot of effort to balance and even then unless a closely related family member has MS too it'd make you go blind.

This isn't an actual hurdle. It is far too easy in a RP format to just create an Uchiha relative with it (An older sibling who is an active or retired ninja....or even a younger one who gets it when their parents die) and then either have them give it to you, pass it off to you from some tragic death or kill them in their sleep.

I think Rinnegan should just be like a really rare Uzumaki Dojutsu in our RP since it's technically an AU so we can change some things. Who here is gonna use a character slot to make a Jinchuriki is my question on tailed beasts.

Eh. We probably shouldn’t stray away from cannon that much.
Rinnegan is just a bad idea in general for a fair rp.

And why even discuss susanoo? Why not focus purely on unique abilities? I really hate how reliant people have become on using canon concepts late game.

I don't agree with Perfect Susanoo cuz unless you're a kage level fighter you can't even scratch it.
The problem with this reasoning is that you treat every Perfect Susanoo no matter who uses it like the Susanoo's of War Arc Madara or Sasuke.

I don't believe anyone who's not already Kage level could produce such a strong Susanoo. Just like how Yamato can't use Wood Release to the extent of Hashirama.

When used by a far weaker person the technique is far weaker.

That last part is kinda my point. If you have such a strong perfect Susanoo you should already be beyond Kage level without it.

The problem with this reasoning is that you treat every Perfect Susanoo no matter who uses it like the Susanoo's of War Arc Madara or Sasuke.

I don't believe anyone who's not already Kage level could produce such a strong Susanoo. Just like how Yamato can't use Wood Release to the extent of Hashirama.

When used by a far weaker person the technique is far weaker.

But the technique itself in part helps make the character that power. Obito for example would be garbage tier if he was not reliant on his hax Uchiha powers.

Perfect Susanoo by itself bumps a character up.

But the technique itself in part helps make the character that power. Obito for example would be garbage tier if he was not reliant on his hax Uchiha powers.

Perfect Susanoo by itself bumps a character up.
Well, you're mixing up the order there.

Perfect Susano does not make you a Kage-class fighter, you need to already be a Kage-class fighter (perhaps Biju level) to even use it, imo. Itachi couldn't use the Perfect Susano and he's definitely on the level of a Kage Class fighter.

War Arc Sasuke and Madara are very comfortably Biju level+ even without their Susanoo's.

Kamui is...well, won't comment on that one.

This one gave me a little thought. @DarkHydraT i would like to say that @5DigitNeb is right about Zadol and Airi, but with Ayano as the "head" of the new akatsuki (@Joelkjn the fox i hope you know what i mean with the quotation marks), she can also get it (i wouldn't actually give it to her unless it was for plot convenience like this could be). I think it could be good to use it but maybe only with one eye or something. Airi and Ayano could steal the eyes from Pain as Joel did say he wanted Airi to kill Pain later in the RP. It could give the other people a harder time defeating them and would be a good reason for them to get stronger

The reason they share the eyes evenly could be because they helped each other out with both Konan and Nagato
@kyuukestu what do you think about this? It's just a suggestion

Well, you're mixing up the order there.

Perfect Susano does not make you a Kage-class fighter, you need to already be a Kage-class fighter (perhaps Biju level) to even use it, imo. Itachi couldn't use the Perfect Susano and he's definitely on the level of a Kage Class fighter.

War Arc Sasuke and Madara are very comfortably Biju level+ even without their Susanoo's.

Kamui is...well, won't comment on that one.

If this remained to just Madara I'd agree. But Sasuke picked it up so the Perfect version can be learned and upgraded like any other Uchiha technique. A giant near-invulnerable chakra mecha is gonna bump you up a level or two on its own even if a "lower scaled" character learns it. The techniques itself is the thing I worry over.

Kamui is bullshit. Period.

SageNeb

Previously 5DigitNeb
More like you just need EMS. Transplant a 9 year old EMS and have them spam susanoo and before they're 10 they have perfect susanoo cuz it doesnt make them go blind. Only reason perfect susanoo was given to reincarnations only.

If this remained to just Madara I'd agree. But Sasuke picked it up so the Perfect version can be learned and upgraded like any other Uchiha technique. A giant near-invulnerable chakra mecha is gonna bump you up a level or two on its own even if a "lower scaled" character learns it. The techniques itself is the thing I worry over.

Kamui is bullshit. Period.
War Arc Sasuke is still very comfortably about Kage Level though.

Forget War arc Sasuke, pre-MS Sasuke killed Deidara, who was an S-rank, and S-ranks are supposed to be around Kage level. Sasuke picking it up doesn't really break from what I've stated.

With his basic sharingan skills and the like, Sasuke was already coasting near the Kage level. The Mangekyo and everything else only came after he was established borderline Kage at the least.

So there is no way for a 'lower scaled' character to learn it.