• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Name That Pokemon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I enjoy a good prediction topic, so for my second one today I'm turning it to our current Cryptimon collection.

There might only four at the moment who still don't have English names, but what do you think they'll be called? As more newbies are revealed try to figure out names for them too. This topic will be on-going until the very last D/P Pokemon receives its official English name.

Manaphy = Manaphy in English, or that's what I'm banking on. Exact same spelling n' all.

Perap may also stay the same, but I could see it being changed to Parrap (Parrot + Rap).

Tamanta... Don't really have a take on that yet. I can see the 'manta' part being left, but the 'ta' doesn't mean much in English.

And lastly, for now, Buoysel... Same again? Buoyancy + Weasel. Simple enough.

Your turn. Anyone think radically different?

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Diaruga: Diamon, or something similar. Possibly Diamun.

Parukia: Perlio...?

The possible electabuzz evo: Eleboss! Eleking! Ele-whatever!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Eleking actually has a nice ring to it, though it fits better with Elekid than Electabuzz.

I think Diaruga may stay the same, but if they wanted to keep Parukia similar it may be changed to Pearica/Parica or something like that. Really depends if the u is silent or not, and seeing as still I have no idea how that works...

Seeing as how Roselia was never changed from the Japanese version, and how well Rosaraid or Roseraid suits it, that's almost a certainty. But...

...Rozorro is the kick-buttest name evar.

Korinku's English name should be Sparkub

Maskippa's English name can be Piranitate.

Naetle could be Sproutle.

And how about havinf Pinpuku's English name being Pincky?

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
Pincsion! Pincushion with the u and h left out! *gasp*

Hikozaru: Flame butt. Oh, c'mon, I was joking :p Nah, I'll name it Floomin.

Let's see here:

Jibacoil-My suggestions are Magnetitan, Magneboss and Magnufo. Out of these three Magneboss may be the most likely.

Fuwante-Booloon (Boo + Balloon)

Fuwaraido-Boolium (Boo + Helium)

Dianose-Nosetache (Nose + Moustache)

Eteboss-Toopom

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Dianose-Nosetache (Nose + Moustache)

That one seems to be a growing fave around the intarnets, and I agree wholeheartedly. That's an awesome name ^___^

Although, might work just as well if you drop that first 'e' to get Nostache.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Fine, fine. But half the time Pokemon names aren't pronounced right anyways (even by the people who give 'em the names) :p

Making them possibly Diarga and Pearlkia? o_O Ew. xD

Try Dialga and Palkia and yeah, that's exactly what happened ;)

Muumaji-Wichdrevus (Witch+Misdrevus) The 't' was taken out to so it stays within the 10 letter limit.

Yonowaru-Duskenie (Dusk+Genie)

Yukimenoko-Glalady (Glacier+Lady)

Erliedo-Gardemale (Gardevoir+Male)

Booburn-Magmega (Magma+Mega)

Eh, just cuz I feel like explaining the "u" thing in Japanese, I think I will...X3

Okay, so in Japanese, the only consonant you can end on is "n" (or "m" in rare cases such as "tempura"). So what they do to make up for that is use something with an "u" and de-emphasize it (like "ruumu" is "room"). Sometimes, when they can't use "u", they'll use "o" (like in "remoneedo", which is "lemonade").

Another thing about Japanese is that "r" and "l" are the same...like how Lugia can be romanized as Rugia, and they have no "c" that is interchangeable with "k" (so Lucario can be Rukario).

When they're "translated" but not actually changed (like Rukario to Lucario), and there's an "r", they seem to like using "l" at the beginning if it doesn't matter. Also, if there are two "r" sounds and it can go either way, they make on an "r" and one an "l" because it sounds less awkward. I mean, say "Rukario" out loud five times, then "Lucario." The latter sounds better.

So, for Rozereido (or however it is), I'm thinking Roselaid/Roselade will be the final outcome if Roseraid isn't better in terms of making sense. Roseraid just sounds weird. @_@

So ends my Japanese 101 lecture. ^_^

Roselaid would be censored be censored before you can say "Bouquet Pokémon.

I like your names, David, good stuff! I still contend that Erliedo had a good chance of not changing. We'll see.

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanx ;)! I originally thought of "Kirate" (pronounced like "karate" but with an er sound at the begining) for Erleido, but I realized that I didn't like it...

Oh! I almost forgot. Empelt's English name shall be: EMPOSIDON!

P

Pokemon rulez

I hope Elikable's US name is Bigbuzz. As in a Bigfoot and buzz like electricty. 8)

455-1.png
Carneplant? [Carnevour + Plant?]

I finally thought of more names.

Mikurage- Crysto (as in a cystal ball)

Yukinoo- Yettree (yeti + tree [as in a fir tree])

Mitsuhoney- Combee (honeycomb + honey bee)

Beequeen- Buzzeen (Buzz+Queen)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
No! It shall be named Pantsey!

Y'know, I actually would've liked that name better XD

So, looking at our track record, we didn't get many of 'em correct, eh? Aside from Dialga, Palkia, and Manaphy staying the same. Heck, even "Buoysel" I guessed wrong at :p

But there's still time! XD

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Eh, just cuz I feel like explaining the "u" thing in Japanese, I think I will...X3

Okay, so in Japanese, the only consonant you can end on is "n" (or "m" in rare cases such as "tempura"). So what they do to make up for that is use something with an "u" and de-emphasize it (like "ruumu" is "room"). Sometimes, when they can't use "u", they'll use "o" (like in "remoneedo", which is "lemonade").

So how do they de-emphasise the u? I was trying to find that out in my Japanese textbooks, but they seem to have been written by a professional linguist who assumes his target audience are all linguists too :-\.

Small tsu is going to be the bane of my existence, too. It can mean a doubled consonant, like ロック = rokku. It can also mean a repeated vowel sound when English is transcribed into katakana, if the syllable ends with d, k, p or ch. And it is also inserted when the English spelling is ck, x, tch or dge. I mean - eck! Couldn't they have got some other letters in for the different meanings? ::)

Prof. Cinders

Mathemagician
Staff member
Administrator
I think de-emphasis is when it sounds like they don't say it at all. Ruumu really would sound like "room", in other words. :p

So how do they de-emphasise the u? I was trying to find that out in my Japanese textbooks, but they seem to have been written by a professional linguist who assumes his target audience are all linguists too :-\.

Small tsu is going to be the bane of my existence, too. It can mean a doubled consonant, like ??? = rokku. It can also mean a repeated vowel sound when English is transcribed into katakana, if the syllable ends with d, k, p or ch. And it is also inserted when the English spelling is ck, x, tch or dge. I mean - eck! Couldn't they have got some other letters in for the different meanings? ::)

You de-emphasize a "u"...by...dropping it. Like, if you were going to say "zugaidosu," but de-emphasize the "u" at the end, you'd pronounce it as if it was written "zugaidos." People in Japan just do that. ^_^;; And if you need me to explain it better, I'll try. -_-;;

Small tsu...you get used to it. The way I learned it was that it was more of a stop in what you were saying. I dunno how to explain it...but yeah, when things usually have a double hard consonant in English, they seem to have that stop, so they get a small tsu. Reeeeally dunno how to explain small tsu to non-Japanese-learners. *sigh* I guess being a Japanese teacher is not the ideal job for me. X3

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Okay. So, we've all been watching the direction PokéMon names have been gradually taking lately - oh, granted, there have been nifty names, but quite a lot of them are unimaginative, dull, or sometimes bloody ridiculous (Starly and Stunky spring to mind as being the sort of n00b-nicknames that PokéMon was very good at avoiding until now).

Well, I went and took a tongue-in-cheek look at a few potential names. I actually really like a few of them... Here goes. Don't take any of these seriously. xD

Luxio: Lightninx (Lightning+Sphinx). After all, they HAVE to keep the Shinx name somehow related!
Rentoraa: Thundrawr (Thunder+Roar)/Exrawr(X-Ray + Roar) . RAWR I'M A LION >:3

Zugaidos: Fearanium (Fear+Cranium) - A direct translation. And it's silly as hell.
Rampard: I can actually see that one keeping its name. >>

Trideps: Same as Rampard...

Minomucci: Bagworph (Bagworm+Morph, due to its multiple shapes)
Minomadam: Bagwyfe (... Do I really have to explain this?)
Garmale: Bagmale

Mitsuhoney: Necthree (Nectar+Three). I was running out of ideas.
Beequeen: I see THAT one keeping her name too. >>

Cherrinbo: Toddlerry (Toddler+Cherry). Yah. It's pretty stupid. >>

Tritodon: I see that one keeping its name. At least, I hope it does... >>

Eteboth: Twipom (Twice+Aipom) >>

Fuwante: Ballift (Balloon+Lift)

Mimilop: ... I'm not sure I want to go there. xD Probably Bunlop or something like that, all bun-jokes aside... I doubt they'll name it Playbunny xD

Muumagi : Mismagus (Misdreavus+Magus)

Donkarasu: Graven (Greed + Raven)

Lysian: Another one I see as keeping its name somehow...

Mirakuge: Shadowhirl (Shadow+Whirl. Because that's what it is...)

Fukamaru: Soilurk (Soil+Lurk)
Gabite: Rajaw (Rage+Jaw)
Gabrise: Hammerise (Hammerhead+Rise)

Hippopotas: Hippore (Hippo + Pore, indicating the holes on its back)
Kabarudon: Sandstamus (Sandstorm + Hippopoptamus. I suck. I know.)

Dorapion: I can see them turning it into Drapion or something but keeping it.

Dokurog: Croaclysm (Croak+Cataclysm)

Keikouo: Fragill (Fragile+Gill)
Neolant: Tetrilliant (Tetra, after the Neon Tetra + Brilliant)

Yukikaburi: Firost (Fir+Frost)
Yukinooh: Yetree (Yeti + Tree, as if you didn't see that coming a mile away)

Jibacoil: Magnefuse (Magnemite+Fuse, as the Magnets fuse, and never fail to confuse us all. >>)

Berubelt: Beltongue (Belt+Tongue - fitting...)

Dosaidon: Dreadon (Dread+Rhydon. What were you expecting, Rhydendendron?)

Mojanbo: I'd call it Strangela but Ivee would probably kill me, so... Tangelarm it is.

Buuburn: Magburn (They won't get more original, so why should I?)

Togekiss: There's another name I see staying.

Megayanma: Same here. Megayanma. Pwnest name ever. xD

Leafia: Either they'll go with the old standard, Leafeon, or they'll come up with something more original.

... Nah.

Glacia: Glaceon, for reasons stated in the entry for Leafia.

Glion: Another one that I see staying... (Glions and Gligars and Glbears! Oh my!)

Manmuu: Mastodine (Mastodon+Swine)

PorygonZ: Porygon GT! It was de-evolved back to Porygon One and now its daughter is older looking than It is! Also, There seem to be a lot of Jolteons involved, for some reason...

Erlade: Bladevoir. Because it was really asking for it. >>

Dianose: Groucho Marx. Enough Said.

Yonowaruu: Duskhaos (Dusk + Chaos. It fits. Whatever.)

Yukimenoko: Prysmono (Prysm + Kimono. I'm out of ideas.)

Rotom: If that thing doesn't keep its name, I'll be very damn surprised.

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I'm rather hoping that Garmale will remain the same - it looks just right to me as it is, can't really imagine any other name being better.

Since Azelf got it's name, I've been thinking of ideas for the others.

Magentrit, masprite, magrite, sprenta, sprigenta, (magenta and sprite)

Amimp, amberim, ambimp, imber, imamber (amber, imp)

Hopefully I nail one with those (probably won't but meh)

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
Just so ya know, this is a list that a guy on Serebii's forums called Secret Squirrel has come up with, he also came up with Magmortar, Empoleon and Azelf before they were actually revealed, leading people to believe that he too has access to the leaked names. That or he's extremely lucky.

Anyways, Serebii confirmed that SOME of these names are, indeed, correct. But that some ARE NOT. So... make of this list what you will and just hope that the ones you like are the correct ones:

Aipom's evo is Ambipom
Rhydon's evo is Rhyperior
Magneton's evo is Magnezone
Togekiss is Togekiss
Dusclops's evo is Dusknoir
Nosepass's evo is Probopass
Mikaruge is Spiritomb
Rukushio is Luxio
Rentoraa is Luxray
Fuwante is Drifloon
Zugaidosu is Cranidos
Rampard is Rampardos