• A reminder: If you want to ask an RP thread creator if you can join their RP, do so in private - via conversation or profile messages - or via the thread's discussion thread, if one exists. Do NOT ask if you can join an RP on the RP thread itself! This leads to a lot of unnecessary OOC chatter and that's not what the RP boards are for.

This is clearly stated in our RP forum rules. If you've not read them yet, do so BEFORE posting anything in the RP forums. They may be found here (for Pokémon Role Play) or here (for General Role Play). Remember that the Global Rules of Pokécharms also apply in addition to these rule sets.
  • Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Private/Closed Myth of the 'Legendary' King (An Adventure PRP)

Francisco was taken aback by the teen's zealous approach.

In all my years of battling, I've become accustomed to people recognizing me, but this is something completely new... Wow.

Francisco composed himself and responded to the young man.

"I'd love to battle you sometime. It'll be great fun for the both of us, won't it?" He then turned to the older fellow, "And, you sir. You mentioned something about an expedition? Into the Ruins of Alph? I've been there before, and there wasn't much to see save for a puzzle that was already solved and Unown aimlessly floating about. But if what you say has a sliver of truth to it, I'd love to accompany your party for the adventure."

Francisco had instantly noticed how much taller the two men were than him, but it wasn't until he responded to them that he noticed a much taller man lagging behind them.

"..."

Francisco got chills when he saw the third member of their party. He didn't know what it was, but something about this guy put Francisco on edge. Something was off. Once again, he composed himself and continued speaking.

"Now, I believe some proper introductions are in order. As you seem to know already, my name is Francisco and I'm from Goldenrod City. You guys haven't given me your names yet. Please, I'd love to know the names of my new teammates."

Jake jumped at the chance to introduce himself to their new group memeber, excitedly listing off information about himself.

"Jake Lashley of Lavaridge, at your service! I'm the team's medic." The young trainer puffed his chest out with pride, going into further detail about his role. "From broken bones to lacerations, you name it I'll fix it!" Reaching into his bag, Jake removed a scalpel, spinning it around his fingers with expert precision. "I only do people though," he continued, whipping the scalpel back to its rightful place in his bag, "I have my partner, Aya, to help heal your Pokemon."

Beck stepped forward as Jake finished his introduction, eyeing the newcomer with a calm calculative gaze. He wasn't particularly tall, especially when seen in person, no doubt the tournament broadcasters were being considerate when televising the man's rather... Unimpressive height. Some people were particular about the subject after all.

Of course, a person's height isn't everything, Beck mused as his eyes fell upon the capturing capsules that were placed intricately along the waist of the crimson clothed trainer. He'll be useful.

Finished assessing their latest compatriot, the masked man lifted his scrutiny from the man's Pokemon only to meet their new friend's searching eyes. Feeling his lips pull into an unfamiliar smile, Beck put a hand on Jake's shoulders, trying to calm his younger partner from getting too excited, and pulled his body in front of the three man group for a long due greeting.

"My name is Beck, a pleasure to meet your acquaintance, Francisco." With his back towards the rest of the group, the herbalist extended his hand in greeting before feeling an even greater pull at his lips- his smile grew unknowingly into a nefariously friendly grin.

"You are quite the fighter. I think I've just become a fan."

Almost reluctantly, the trainer accepted the gigantic man's handshake.

"I'm used to a little recognition, but to have fans? I'm honored."

As Francisco and Beck concluded the handshake, chills went down Francisco's back. There was something tragic about this man that left Francisco completely on edge.

What is it with this guy? What's he been through?

Francisco turned to Lewis, "And you, sir? You invited me to join your expedition. May I have your name?"

"Lewis Steloine," he responded, relieved he was finally noticed. "I'm glad you've accepted my offer. We needed some muscle on the team. Now that we do, we should head for Alph."

The excitement of heading towards Alph had just now hit Lewis. He couldn't help but smile as he realized his childhood dream- He was in Johto, his favorite place to learn about, and he was heading to the Ruins of Alph.
------------
A small child sat on an older man's lap, excitedly flipping through the pages of a book on Johto. The man sat on a faux-leather chair, which was located near the warmth of a hearth powered by firewood.

"Dad, have I told you about how King Alph defended Johto from the Kantonians for fifty years?" the small child said with a ear-to-ear grin on his face.

"Did he?" the older man responded, with a smile on his face as well. "Did you know that Alph also reformed Johtonian-"

"-Law and made it so any future kings couldn't be mean to the people!" the child responded, speaking a million miles an hour. The older man chuckled.

"Giving up power so people like us could be free," the older man said. "He's a good role model, Lewis."

"Yeah," the child said. "One day, I wanna go to Johto and see the Ruins of Alph."

"I wish I could take you there, son," the older man said. "Would you like to head to Clay Tunnel?"

The child nodded and hopped down from his father's lap to put on his shoes and grab his bag filled with books of all different sizes.

Last edited:
Francisco saw a child-like gleam in Lewis's eyes. It was nice to see such enthusiasm, but it was perplexing to Francisco as to why the man was so enthusiastic. To Francisco, and most residents of the Johto region, the ruins of Alph was just a small marvel barely worth batting an eye at; normally just a place for pokemon collectors to scurry about trying to catch Unown. Nonetheless, Francisco's empathetic nature caused Lewis's excitement to rub off on him somewhat.

He seems really excited, maybe there's something to Alph that we've all been missing. I'm kind of interested in finding out now.

-----------

As the party entered the ruins, Francisco could tell they would have a hard time seeing in the interiors of the ruins.

"Fury come on out and give us a little light!"

The large Charizard burst out of his pokeball and let out a low bellow. His trainer stroked the underside of his chin, and he fueled up the flame on the end of his tail, lighting up the ruins like a full set of torches would.

"Raaaar."

"Thanks buddy," Francisco replied to his Charizard.

The room was now lit, and the hieroglyphs in the Unown language that lined the walls could be seen clearly.

Last edited:
"Well, let's start looking around." Lewis said, taking out a large book with an even larger title.

He ran his hand against the incisions in the rocky walls and read what they said. He sighed. He mumbled to himself the words written in Unown- as always, it was standard mumbo-jumbo, with no new information to uncover. Of course, that doesn't mean something could be hiding itself from plain view...

Lewis reached to his belt and claimed a Pokeball. Tossing into the air, it made contact with the ground, and Lewis' Excadrill made it's debut to his partners. Lewis looked back and introduced the Excadrill to his colleagues.

"Everyone, this is Excadrill," Lewis said. "He and I have been friends since childhood, and that's all you need to know about him."

The Excadrill nodded slightly to Jake, Beck, and Francisco.

"Excadrill, cut through the wall, see if anything is behind it." Lewis said. He turned to the group. "I know that sounds illegal, and it is, but trust me, we'll be fine."

And with that, Excadrill began to precisely cut through the wall, making sure that it was intact so it could be replaced later.

Jake fidgeted nervously as Lewis's Excadrill cut through the wall, glancing over shoulder to peer into the darkness. He had never been a huge fan of ancient ruins. Exploring caves and mountains was one thing, but the young trainer felt uneasy around these ancient places. To him it always felt like he was intruding upon something sacred, something meant to be seen only by the ancient eyes of those who created it.

Beginning to feel unsafe, Jake grabbed Arya's ball, rolling it around in his hand. He took comfort in knowing that if something went wrong, she'd protect him. Jake scanned the inky blackness on last time before turning his eyes back to the group, finding Excadrill halfway done with the wall.

"You're sure it's safe here?"

Not really, Lewis thought to himself.

"Yeah, we'll be fine," Lewis said.

As the Excadrill finished the excavation, Lewis sighed to himself and put his hand on his Pokemon's shoulder.

"No one's coming down here," Lewis continued. "We're completely safe-"

"What you's gots there?" an accented voice echoed from the crypts. "You's willin' to share?"

Goddammit. Lewis thought.

A man dressed in black with a blazing 'R' printed on his shirt revealed himself from the darkness of the ruins. He was followed by men and women dressed similarly to himself.

"Heard you's found somethin' cool," the man chuckled. "Somethin'... valuable."

"I... don't know what you're talking about." Lewis said, his voice cracking.

How did they find us down here? he thought.

"Don't be stupid. You's gonna lead Rocket to the works," the man continued. "Or we'll just beat you's up 'till you feel more cooperative."

"We could beat you any day." Lewis dared, his voice cracking again.

"You's and what army? You got some kid, shady guy with some glasses, and that guy from Violet-" the man suddenly stopped speaking. "F-from the Violet City Tournament." His voice sounded a lot less threatening than before.

Beck felt his face form into a set grimace as unwanted memories flashed through his head. Out of all the terrorist organisations out there that he could run into... It just had to be this one.

Eight long years of doing his utmost best in order to avoid coming in contact with this specific criminal group. Reading countless newspapers, watching every television newscasts, and even listening in on the gossips between old ladies in the town neighborhoods. The obessio- his efforts were to the point where even Jake had directly questioned his sanity at one point, which of course he had avoided answering by distracting the young man with ice-cream, but at least the sacrifice had been worth it. His work hadn't gone to waste.

Until now that it is.

So it was at this moment that the Herbalist decided that today was just going to be one of those days and if there was one thing he hated the most in his normally 'peaceful' life, it was the day when he finally attracted the unwanted attention of Lady Misfortune.

He liked his peace and quiet damn it... He definitely wasn't going to be looking forward to this and hopefully, hopefully this day wouldn't get any worse than it already has.

Shifting his deadpanned gaze from their sudden, and rather rude, newcomers, Beck turned to give a discreet and a very displeased side-long glance at Lewis before whispering to the man in a disgruntled tone.

"My sincerest apologies in advance for my rudeness... But you just had to jinx us didn't you."

Last edited:
Fury grew restless and angry. The flame on his tail began to grow and became hotter and hotter each second. The Charizard had nothing but disdain for team Rocket, he was getting ready to lose it. Suddenly he felt his trainer's hand under his muzzle.

"Calm down buddy."

Fury bellowed and stood down. Francisco turned to the men who had so rudely interrupted the dig.

"You know, you Team Rocket losers have a nasty habit of crashing the party. See this Charizard here? Well, he has quite an extensive history with Team Rocket. Including the burning down of a certain base eight years ago. Trust me, friends, you do not want Fury here to lose his cool. I suggest you turn tail and take a hike."

Fury could no longer remain calm, he shot a Fire Blast at the leader's feet as a warning. They needed to get gone. Francisco concluded his dialogue.

"Your choice..."

Jake quietly shuffled back behind the others, his grip tightening on Aya's pokeball. If a fight broke out, he wanted to be sure that the more capable battlers were in front of him. Once in a position from which he and Aya would be able to support the others, Jake took a closer look at the strangers.

There were various men and women, all dressed in black. The only color on their uniforms was a bright red "R" on their shirts. From what he could see, Jake could only assume that each of them had at least one pokeball on their person, ready for battle. Jake's eyes widened when he heard Francisco mention their name. Team Rocket. A band of trainers dedicated to crime and terrorism. The young trainer had heard about them on the news before, but he'd never have imagined coming face-to-face with such a powerful and terrifying group of people.

Frozen in fear, Jake's anxiety flared up again. His whole body began to tremble, and he was terrified of what might happen if Team Rocket beat Francisco and Beck. All the medic could do was wait in terror for the Rockets' response to Francisco's threat...

"We can take you's on!" the grunt said. "Send you's 'Mons out!"

The grunts all released their Pokemon at once. A Drowsee, a Magnemite, and an Arbok appeared before them. Scars and bruises lined their bodies, as if they've recently fought beforehand.

"Magnemite, Thundershock!" a female grunt said. "On the Charizard!"

"Drowsee, Hypnosis on that mole-lookin' thing," another grunt said. "Then use Dream Eat-a."

"Arbok, stand ready," the first grunt said. "Look for holes in their defenses."

Lewis began to panic. While Excadrill did fairly well against in training wild Pokemon, Lewis was not confident in both his and Excadrill's trainer-on-trainer battling skills. Nevertheless, Lewis barked a command.

"Excadrill, use Slash!" he said.

Lewis looked to Francisco. "Francisco, help me out here!" Lewis said. "You too, Beck!"

Francisco turned to Jake, he was steadily moving back holding on to a pokeball, he could tell Jake was intimidated by these grunts. Francisco felt the need to endear him. He grinned at the intimidated teen.

"Hey, Jake. You believe these guys? They see a large angry Charizard named Fury that burned down one of their bases a few years back, and they attack anyway. Talk about foolhardy grunts, huh?"

Francisco turned to Fury, the Charizard absorbed the hit from the super-effective Thunderbolt like it was nothing. If anything it made him angrier. Fury began to roar.

"REAAAARRR!!!"

Francisco got serious and gave his command.

"
Rocket Losers! Fury, send them packing with Dragon Pulse!"

Fury's Dragon Pulse hit Magnemite dead-on, sending it flying directly into Arbok.

"Still think you can handle us?"

Beck nodded in response to Lewis' call and felt his mouth curl further in distaste as he slowly reached for one of the two capsules hanging on his belt. Unconsciously moving in front of Jake in a half-protective manner, trying to shield the young man from the two Rockets out of reflex.

"It seems I am cursed to have a bad day today," Beck said irritably as he gently traced his fingers over the warm capsule of his most cherished partner, taking a moment to quietly bond with the Spikes Pokemon, before slowly making his way over to the second Pokeball.

"The two of you must be wondering why I seem so aggrieved."

The herbalist took a small intake of breath as he felt the cool kiss of metal on his fingers and felt the red and white sphere jerk to his touch before proceeding to shake violently with bloodthirsty excitement. Beck held the Pokeball lightly as grim anticipation began to build up from deep within his chest.

"It's quite simple really, first of all, I missed my daily morning coffee because I woke up late today, so I am understandably irritable. But then, the two of you clowns decide to show up and ruin my day even further. Why am I so upset about your sudden appearances you ask? Well, you could say that Team Rocket and I have, should I say, an unpleasantly 'illustrious' history together. I won't bore you fine gentlemen with the details."

A tight smile stretched across Beck's face as memories began to flood in once more. "But what the two of you really need to know, is that I'm the type of person to hold grudges."

"So I do hope." Molten gold eyes hardened as loose fingers suddenly grasped the capsule in an iron grip. "You'll forgive me for not holding back." Beck finished dryly.

And with a quick flick of a wrist, a brilliant luminescent light bathed the faded halls of the ancient ruins for a split second, before fading away to reveal a hunched human-like figure kneeling on the ground beside it's trainer.

"Oni." The Pokemon lifted it's beaked head up towards its master as he heard him call, feral blue eyes wide with barely restraint excitement. "Use Fire Punch on the Drowzee."

Finally granted his wish of freedom, the Blaziken swerved it's head around the hall, hawk-eyes moving erratically in search of it's quarry before finally locking on to the elephant-like Pokemon that stood several meters away. Staring at him with uninterested eyes.

Having found his mark the Blaze Pokemon screeched in ballistic frenzy before bursting off the ground towards the unprepared Hypnosis Pokemon, cracking the stone pavement beneath with the sheer force of his kick, and all but disappearing from sight before suddenly reappearing just inches away from the Drowzee in a thunderous explosion of sound- with a talon-ed fist raised high and engulfed in a fury of tempestuous crimson flames.

Small dreary eyes grew wide in shock and confusion as the psychic Pokemon tried and failed to comprehend what had just taken place before taking a stumbling step back from the Pokemon- no, monster that stood before it. Dread and despair began to creep in from the very edges of its normally immovable heart and began eating away at the sanctuary it knew as 'sound mind.'

It had only take a split second for the hunter to reach his prey.

The avian Pokemon grinned sadistically, taking a quick moment to relish in the fear that it felt from the opposing Pokemon, before blurring into movement once more. A resounding boom of a shock wave was heard, popping the ears of the nearby on-lookers, as blistering talons covered in fire met unguarded flesh in an unholy union before the sound of heavy impact and a reverberating crash of dust and rocks followed soon after.

Beck inwardly winced at the sheer brutality of his Pokemon and offered a silent apology to the Drowzee that had taken the ruthless blow. Atleast the Fighting/Fire-Type had been holding back.... Somewhat. The masked man sighed wearily before running his fingers through his fringed black hair. Despite their many years together, the man hadn't ever gotten used to Oni's savage nature in battle and didn't think he would anytime soon. Or ever in fact.

Catching the sight of the said Pokemon slowly walking out of the miniature crater that it had created just moments before, Beck finally turned his attention towards the Rockets once more before calling the Blaziken to his side.

"Now," Beck said slowly as a sickeningly polite smile quickly formed on his face with practiced ease. "Ready for round two?"

Last edited:
The fear that had been welling up within Jake's chest was quickly alleviated when the Rockets released their Pokemon. Of all their Pokemon, only the Arbok seemed to present a threat in the teen's eyes. Even he, the least battle-capable member of the team, had defeated Pokemon like Magnamite and Drowzee when training Aya. The medic's courage was bolstered further when his teammates released their Pokemon. His fingers around Aya's ball loosened as he replaced it on his belt to watch the show.

"Oooooo, this is gonna be good!" Jake was chuckling gleefully at the face of the Rockets now that they were staring down two very angry fire-type Pokemon. The medic was peeking around Beck, appreciative of his masked companion's defensiveness, but slightly annoyed as well. He no longer saw these Rockets as a threat, and was more interested in watching Oni and Fury destroy their Pokemon. Jake was met with minor disappointment when Beck had Oni use his usual attack. The young trainer was all-too familiar with the Blaze Pokemon's destructive Fire Punch, having seen it many times. His frown deepened when he heard a powerful blast, turning his head just in time to see the Rocket Magnamite fly into the Arbok. As upset as he was that he hadn't gotten to see Fury in action, Jake couldn't help but laugh at the stunned looks on the faces of the Rocket members.

"What's wrong fellas? Is that all you got?"

Excadrill ignored Lewis' command- He knew Lewis wouldn't mind. Lewis was extremely terrible at battling, so Excadrill went freelance. After all, it's how they won their one and only badge in Driftveil.

The Excadrill growled viciously at the foe Arbok. The Arbok attempted a threatening hiss, but it had been severely shaken up due to the sudden knockouts of it's allies Drowsee and Magnemite. However, the Arbok was still ready to fight. After all, it was for his master...

The Excadrill ran and slammed his claws into the snake. The Arbok let out a hiss of pain as it felt a cave wall slam against it's back. The Arbok saw the excavation Excadrill made to it's left.

"Arbok, use ya Poison Sting!" the Rocket said.

The Arbok showed his fangs- they were dripping with a yellowish liquid. The Arbok bit Excadrill's left claw in some attempt to poison him. It had no effect, and Excadrill raised his left foot and slammed it down- Not only did it cause a loud boom to echo through the Ruin, but it also caused the rocks weakened from the excavation to fall and hit the ground next to the Arbok. Using his left arm to hold the Arbok in place and the other to pick up a fallen rock, Excadrill threatened to crush the Arbok's skull.

"Excadrill, don't!" Lewis said. "We've attracted enough attention already!"

Before Excadrill could even comprehend what Lewis said, a red beam of light erupted from the Rocket's Pokeball. The Arbok was reclaimed.

"You damn piece o' shit," the Grunt whispered to the Pokeball.

"You win this time, ya losers!" another Grunt said. "We'll be back!"

And with that, the members of Team Rocket fled back the way they came.

"Goddamn jinxes..." Lewis said.

With the Rocket members gone, Fury had finally calmed down and Francisco stroked the underside of his snout.

"Well, that takes care of that."

Francisco rubbed the Keystone on his wrist gently as he thought to himself, Utter weaklings, the lot of those Rocket Losers. We were going easy on them.

Francisco turned to the rest of the party.

"Well, that was fun... You guys have some pretty tough Pokemon travelling with you. I don't ever think I've heard a Fire Punch make such a loud noise on contact, Beck. That Blaziken is mad scary in a scrap! And Lewis, your Excadrill has a lot of power and a great battling mind. I wonder what it would be like if you pursued that potential."

Francisco then turned his attention towards the hole in the wall that Lewis's Excadrill had dug before the Rockets showed up. The mystery that laid beyond the void-like blackness of the new tunnel ate away and Francisco's curiosity.

"So what now, guys?"

Jake sighed inwardly as Francisco complemented the rest of the team on their Pokemon. If he hadn't been so scared, he could have helped in the battle. The grunts they had driven off weren't anything special, and the teen was positive he and Aya could have mopped the floor with them. The young medic's hand made its way to his partner's Pokeball, grabbing it as he wished to earn Francisco's praise. He bounced the ball in his hand for a few seconds before returning it to his belt.

Maybe next time....

Turning his attention to the hole in the cave wall, scooting closer to peer into what easily could have been oblivion. He could see no walls, floors, or even a ceiling through the inky black darkness. Jake quickly retreated, stepping back from the hole. Something about what lay beyond that gash in the wall was sending shivers down the medic's spine. The young man chuckled with uncertainty, trying to calm his nerves.

"There is no way I'm going in first."

Wiping the 'smile' off his face, Beck returned a dissatisfied Oni back to his Pokeball, before nodding at Francisco's compliment, barely registering the praise.

It wasn't often that he'd let the Blaziken out, due to obvious reasons of course, Oni wasn't exactly the most stablest 'mon around after all, and when he did let the fighting maniac out it was only when he was in the most dire of straits. Or if he was irritated. Very irritated.

Beck suddenly frowned in contemplation. It wasn't like him to get so worked up, granted he'd worked hard these past years to avoid contact with the Rockets, but he didn't have to go and unleash Oni on them. They were only grunt-tier level goons and more than likely weren't involved with what had happened back then.

The herbalist ran his fingers through his black locks of hair, face relaxing into an expression of exasperation. Perhaps it was the stress getting to him, all these constant years of work with barely any breaks in between, when was the last time when he'd taken a proper break?... On second thought, it was most definitely the stress getting to him. After this job he should probably take Jake with him to a resort somewhere to relax. Maybe Undella Town? He'd heard from someone in the past that the place was a nice place to visit around this time of the year.

As if freed from some sort of heavy burden, the herbalist released a tranquil sigh before turning his attention to a suddenly moving Jake, keeping a careful eye on the teenager to make sure nothing happened, as the young medic decided took a peek inside the newly-created cave. It didn't take very long before the young man quickly retreated a few steps back with a slightly more pale complexion than he had when he went in, a strained expression on his face.

"There is no way I'm going in first."

Beck chuckled quietly to himself. Yes, it was probably best to take a vacation after this. Get a chance to relax from all the action.

For now however, he should probably get moving. It wouldn't do for him to just stand around and brood the day away. That was the last thing he needed to be doing right now.

The Herbalist moved his feet, heading towards Jake, hands reaching into his pocket for some hand-made herbal pills that had the usual calming effect.

He could brood when he finally got on his break.

But as the former bounty hunter moved to join his younger companion, the broken man couldn't help but feel a deep nagging in his chest that he was forgetting something very important. Something very precious to him, something that he shouldn't have ever forgotten, and something that stubbornly seemed to stay out of his memories' reach.

The uneasiness in his heart slowly grew and festered as he tried to remember just what he was forgetting until he felt a very soft whisper briefly, yet gently, brush the edges of his straining mind. A soft chaste touch that had only lasted for the most briefest of moments but had calmed his anxious sea of emotions with its comforting intimacy.

It felt irresistibly sweet.

Warmly nostalgic.

And unbearably sorrowful.

But as the former bounty hunter moved to join his younger companion, the broken man couldn't help but feel a deep nagging in his chest that he was forgetting something very important. Something very precious to him, something that he shouldn't ever have forgotten, and something that seemed to stubbornly stay out of memories' reach.

The uneasiness in his heart slowly grew and festered as he tried to remember just what he was forgetting until he felt a very soft whisper briefly, yet gently, brush the edges of his straining mind. A soft chaste touch that had only lasted for the most briefest of moments but had calmed his anxious sea of emotions with its comforting intimacy.

A scream of harrowing rage and desolate despair as he threw the picture against the wall
Warmly nostalgic.
The silence of the meadows as a single lonely gravestone stood amidst the swaying white lilies
The echoing footsteps of a fragile man turned broken, his heart broiling in hatred and vengeance, with hands aching with a wish to hold something in their grasp
But as the former bounty hunter moved to join his younger companion, the broken man couldn't help but feel a deep nagging in his chest that he was forgetting something very important. Something very precious to him, something that he shouldn't ever have forgotten, and something that seemed to stubbornly stay out of memories' reach.

Soft glistening lips smiling like a beatific angel when he had met her for the first time
Warmly nostalgic.
Quiet rhythmic sighs as she slept peacefully against his shoulder while he safely carried her back home
The unsaid final farewell as she lay in a sea of her own life blood

It was simple
Warmly nostalgic.
All he had to do
And unbearably sorrowful maniacally gleeful.
Was kill the Batman.

Last edited: