• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS My Pearl Team

Pokemon Pearl
Basically in-game, but might be used competitively someday...

Gardevoir:
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Magical Leaf (may be replaced with Energy Ball)

Lucario:
Psychic
Earthquake
Aura Sphere
Dragon Pulse

Staraptor:
Brave Bird
Fly
Roost
Close Combat

Vaporeon:
Surf
Dig
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball

Jolteon:
Thunderbolt
Dig
Shadow Ball
Thunderwave

Flareon:
Flamethrower
Bite
Dig
Toxic

Also thinking of rotating one of them out for...

Roserade:
Magical Leaf
Sludge Bomb
Synthesis
Toxic

... or do you think this team is best off the way it is now?

Staraptor isn't built for using Roost. It's meant to hit hard and hit fast, not stall for time using recovery moves. I can see your logic in using it though. You're better off using Steel Wing/U-Turn/Giga Impact instead of Roost.

I've got a decent moveset for Starapator if you want.

Aerial Ace/Brave Bird (Brave Bird for power, Aerial Ace for accuracy)
Close Combat
Double Team
Steel Wing (Takes care of rock and Ice types)

Alright, I've done some tweaking to my team, and here's what I plan on the final result being:

Staraptor:
Aerial Ace
Brave Bird
Close Combat
U-turn

Lucario:
Aura Sphere
Psychic
Earthquake
Dragon Pulse

Jolteon:
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Shadow Ball
Dig

Espeon:
Psychic
Morning Sun
Shadow Ball
Dig

What I am having trouble with is determining who should fill the last two spots, as I have four choices, so I'm looking for suggestions as to who sits out:

Flareon:
Flamethrower
Toxic
Shadow Ball
Dig

Vaporeon:
Surf
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Dig

Glaceon:
Ice Beam
Water Pulse
Shadow Ball
Dig

Roserade:
Energy Ball
Stun Spore
Sludge Bomb
Toxic

Yeah, I know the Eeveelutions all have those same two attacks. All I gotta say there is, TM + Breeding = Win!

Just throwing something out there, mostly out of curiousity, but for assistance as well, given the following choices, which six Pokemon would YOU use to make a team?

Infernape:
Aerial Ace/Shadow Claw
Flare Blitz
Close Combat
Slack Off

Staraptor:
Aerial Ace
Brave Bird
Close Combat
U-Turn

Lucario:
Aura Sphere
Earthquake
Psychic
Dragon Pulse

Jolteon:
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Shadow Ball
Dig

Vaporeon:
Surf
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Dig

Glaceon:
Ice Beam
Water Pulse
Shadow Ball
Dig

Espeon:
Psychic
Morning Sun
Shadow Ball
Dig

Roserade:
Petal Dance/Energy Ball
Sludge Bomb
Toxic
Stun Spore

Flareon:
Flamethrower
Toxic
Shadow Ball
Dig

The reason I ask is that I suddenly have all these choices in front of me and I'm having a tough time deciding which six out of those nine choices to use, so I'm curious as to what other people may choose, given such a decision.
Thank you.

I would take:

Lucario:
Aura Sphere
Earthquake
Psychic
Dragon Pulse

Jolteon:
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Shadow Ball
Dig

Vaporeon:
Surf
Ice Beam
Shadow Ball
Dig

Espeon:
Psychic
Morning Sun
Shadow Ball
Dig

Roserade:
Petal Dance/Energy Ball
Sludge Bomb
Toxic
Stun Spore

Flareon:
Flamethrower
Toxic
Shadow Ball
Dig

Not the same moves though...

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
One of the reasons I haven't replied to this is that ARGH real-life stuff is happening, but the other reason is that I don't like the way all your Eevolutions have the same two moves. For example, I don't think it's useful that Espeon has both Psychic and Shadow Ball, because Ghost and Psychic-type moves have the same basic range of Super Effectiveness. Having a Ghost-type move on your Espeon doesn't help to protect against any of her weaknesses, and doesn't add anything in terms of who can be hit by the move.

Dig is potentially useful on Vaporeon because it protects against Electric attacks, but the fact it's a two-turn attack is non-ideal as your opponent could simply switch out their Electric Pokemon for someone resistant to Ground. Also, it's a Physical attack, and Vaporeon's base Special Attack stat is double its normal Attack. So I would make Vaporeon entirely a Special attacker and get someone else to deal with Electric-types.

Also, I was unsure from your thread so far whether you want to go for an all Eevolution team, or if you simply want the most powerful team possible with the Pokemon you have. Obviously an all-Eevolution team would be non-ideal for straight competition, but could be really fun to play.

Looking at the 10 Pokemon you've mentioned:
I'd definitely keep Flareon, Lucario and Vaporeon, though they need some alteration to their movesets.
I'd probably get rid of Espeon and Glaceon. Both suffer from a lack of different-Type moves.
I'm undecided on Gardevoir, Jolteon, Infernape, Roserade and Staraptor. Will have to look at the stats and movesets in more detail to figure out who to keep.

If you can stand to wait a bit longer (I know you posted this a few days ago), I can look at it tonight/over the weekend and put some movesets together for you.

Common sense, should've posted move changes the first time. :-[
I would teach them:

Lucario: (I'd go for more attack based 'cause most of the others in this team have...bad Attack)
(a)Close Combat/(b)Sky Uppercut/(b)Cross Chop (a for power, b for no stat reduction but less accuracy and less power, c same as b)
Earthquake (for fires and grounds {if they're half rock})
Psychic (fightings)
Detect (to test opponent's pokemon if you need to)

Jolteon: (These have bad Attack, so Dig will do little damage, plus if you use Dig and your Opponent uses Earthquake, things could get messy)
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Fake Tears (if used, Thunderbolt will DESTROY your opponent...you need to breed for it though)
Double Team/Sand Attack (mostly for annoyance purposes, and could help)

Vaporeon: (again, bad Attack)
Surf
Ice Beam
Aqua Ring (high Health + health restoring moves = hard to take out)
Haze (for those raise stats, then attack people..I hate those people sometimes)

Espeon: (can't learn Focus Blast, which sucks ::))
Psychic
Morning Sun
Shadow Ball (for other psychics and ghosts)
Fake Tears (same reason as Jolteon, plus if you breed one of your eevee-lutions, you might aswell breed them all)

Roserade:
(a)Petal Dance/(b)Energy Ball (a only if you get it to hold a sitrus berry, b little less power, no continuation, no confusion)
Sludge Bomb (STAB, covers other grasses)
Toxic/Stun Spore (one status move is good)
Shadow Ball (for psychics)

Flareon:
Fire Fang (gains full STAB, plus Flareon's Attack is really high, especially compared to the other eevee-lutions)
Iron Tail (strong, takes out rock types)
Will-o-wisp
Scary Face (Flareon's speed is lower than most of the other eevee-lutions)

This is mostly my personal preference (Espeon over Gardevoir) but it works for me, why not you?

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
OK, Raiq - looking at the 10 Pokemon you've mentioned again, I think I'd go for a team as follows:
1. Vaporeon
2. Flareon
3. Roserade
4. Lucario
5. Staraptor
6. Gardevoir / Infernape / ??

These Pokemon have a reasonable mix of types, with both physical & special attackers. I wish Marriland's Team Weakness Calculator was still online, because it'd be useful to check if there's anything missing!

Surf
Ice Beam
This seems reasonable. Vaporeon's only weaknesses are to Electric and Grass, and you have Ice Beam to deal with Grass types. Possible held items include Leftovers (to help with the health restoration), Wise Glasses (to boost Special attacks) or a Wacan Berry (If held by a Pokémon, it weakens a foe's supereffective Electric-type attack). Of course, you'd still want to switch out if you found you were facing an Electric pkmn.

[quote author=MarineMilotic link=topic=2670.msg36210#msg36210 date=1189835704]
Flareon:
Fire Fang (gains full STAB, plus Flareon's Attack is really high, especially compared to the other eevee-lutions)
Will-o-wisp
[/quote]
Rather than "wasting" a move with Scary Face, I would simply EV train Flareon in Speed and Attack. Then I'd go entirely for physical Attack moves. So perhaps:
1. Fire Fang - FIRE, Physical (a shame that it has such low power - 97.5 with STAB)
2. Iron Tail - STEEL, Physical (Super Effective against Rock pkmn)
3. Return / Facade / Strength - NORMAL, Physical (Normal attacks are normally effective against anyone)
4. Natural Gift - GRASS, Physical (with berry as detailed below)
Held Item: Rawst, Pinap, Rindo or Liechi Berry - Makes Natural Gift into a Grass move (Super Effective against Water, Ground and Rock pkmn).

Note that the berry gets consumed by the Natural Gift move, so it's fine in-game when you can constantly replace the berry, but possibly not so great competitively. Get a berry farm going and grow as many Pinap berries as possible :D.

Another option would be a moveset as follows:
1. Overheat - FIRE, Special (power 210 with STAB!, or 315 with STAB and Sunny Day!!)
2. Sunny Day - boosts power of Fire moves.
3. Iron Tail - STEEL, Physical (Super Effective against Rock pkmn)
4. Return / Facade / Strength - NORMAL, Physical (Normal attacks are normally effective against anyone)
Held Item: Flame Plate - Boosts the power of Fire-type moves or Muscle Band - slightly boosts the power of Physical moves.

This Flareon would still be EV trained in Speed and (physical) Attack, but now you're using a Fire move that has such ridiculously high power, it doesn't matter that Flareon's Special Attack stat is crappy. After using Overheat, Flareon's Sp.Atk will drop by 2, but that's ok - any opponent vulnerable to Fire will be KOed :). If you don't want the Special Attack drop, use Fire Blast instead (power of 180 with STAB alone or 270 with STAB + Sunny Day), or go for Flamethrower for reliability (power 142.5 with STAB, 213.75 (!) with STAB + Sunny Day).

Roserade:
(a)Petal Dance/(b)Energy Ball (a only if you get it to hold a sitrus berry, b little less power, no continuation, no confusion)
[/quote]
For (a), you mean a Persim Berry - Persim heals confusion, Sitrus berry restores 1/4 HP. I'd definitely go with Energy Ball, because being locked into the same move for 2-3 turns sucks. Your opponent could switch in a Pokemon that is resistant to Grass attacks and there's nothing you can do because you can't change.

This moveset is also reasonable, but not very adventurous. It could be shared by pretty much any Grass/Poison type and only covers one of Roserade's weaknesses (Psychic). Ideally, you need a Rock-type move, as this is Super Effective against all three of Roserade's other weaknesses (Fire, Ice and Flying). Roserade doesn't learn any Rock moves, but you could fake one with Natural Gift like we did with Flareon (this time, it'd be a Wiki, Magost or Charti Berry). However, as Natural Gift relies on the Attack stat, I wouldn't recommend it.

Instead, I'd go for Roserade's speciality - Weather Ball. It's the only pkmn apart from Castform that can learn it. Weather Ball is a fantastic attack which changes type to match the weather and increases in power. In Sandstorm it becomes a Rock-type attack with power 100, in sun it becomes a Fire-type attack with power 150 (due to the Sunny Day bonus), and in rain it becomes a Water-type attack with power 150 (due to the Rain Dance bonus). If only Roserade could learn Sandstorm, you'd be sorted.

You could use Sunny Day + Weather Ball for a Fire attack against Ice pkmn, but the usefulness of Fire attacks is limited due to the fact that almost all Ice-types are dual Ice & Water. Rain Dance + Weather Ball could be more useful, giving a Water attack to defend against Fire pkmn. Also, Flareon has Sunny Day which may still be in effect, so I don't think you need to duplicate the move.

So how about this?
1. Energy Ball - GRASS, Special (STAB)
2. Shadow Ball - GHOST, Special (Super Effective against Psychic pkmn)
3. Rain Dance - changes weather to rain
4. Weather Ball - WATER, Special (Super Effective against Fire pkmn)
Held Item: Wise Glasses to boost Special moves, or one of the plates to boost Grass, Ghost or Water moves.

Jolteon: (These have bad Attack, so Dig will do little damage, plus if you use Dig and your Opponent uses Earthquake, things could get messy)
Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave
Fake Tears (if used, Thunderbolt will DESTROY your opponent...you need to breed for it though)
[/quote]
This seems... rather pointless. Poor Jolteon only has one attack! I think you'd find this ever so frustrating to use in practice. What happens if all your other pkmn get KOed, and you're facing a Ground type? Problem is, while Jolteon learns a lot of different Type attacks, they're mostly all based on the physical Attack stat, which is lousy. I'm sure when I suggested using Jolteon that I hadn't noticed that :(.

So I'd probably suggest dropping Jolteon and putting Thunderbolt on another powerful Special Attacker on your team, such as the Gardevoir moveset that you posted at the beginning.

I definitely think Lucario should stay, but coming up with a single, definitive moveset for him is... impossible! The movesets you've both suggested are mixed between physical & special moves, which is fair enough considering his base stats, but will mean EV training him in both Attack and Special Attack. I'll have to think some more about him.

[quote author=Raiq link=topic=2670.msg36136#msg36136 date=1189533956]
Staraptor:
Aerial Ace
Brave Bird
Close Combat
U-Turn
[/quote]
This is a good moveset for Staraptor, but you don't need both Aerial Ace and Brave Bird. Go for Aerial Ace due to its never-miss status, and replace Brave Bird with another move. At the moment, you're only getting STAB from the Flying part of Staraptor's type, not the Normal part - so go for Return, Facade or even Endeavor for a second STAB move. EV train your Staraptor in Attack & Speed to make it super-fast and powerful.

[quote author=Raiq link=topic=2670.msg32933#msg32933 date=1186893128]
Gardevoir:
Psychic
Thunderbolt
Shadow Ball
Magical Leaf (may be replaced with Energy Ball)
[/quote]
Personally, I kinda like Gardevoir, and I'd keep her for Psychic and Thunderbolt. I wouldn't bother with Shadow Ball as well, because you already have that on other members of the team, and it has similar super effectiveness to Psychic. Instead, Calm Mind + Focus Blast, maybe? Hidden Power is also worth considering, depending on what type and power it is on your particular Gardevoir.

Note: I think Synchronize ability is far more useful than Trace. I'm not keen on Trace because it's too unpredictable what you'll get - it could be something actively harmful. Whereas Synchronize is almost always useful - causing your opponent to also get Poisoned, Paralysed or Burned. The only time this is a problem is if your opponent has the Guts ability or Facade move, so the status ailment boosts their Attack.

Hope this helps, and I haven't waffled so much you can't find the moveset recommendations ;).

Last edited by a moderator:
Common sense, should've posted move changes the first time. :-[
I would teach them:

Lucario: (I'd go for more attack based 'cause most of the others in this team have...bad Attack)
(a)Close Combat/(b)Sky Uppercut/(b)Cross Chop (a for power, b for no stat reduction but less accuracy and less power, c same as b)
Earthquake (for fires and grounds {if they're half rock})
Psychic (fightings)
Detect (to test opponent's pokemon if you need to)

Thunderbolt
Thunder Wave

Surf
Ice Beam

Espeon: (can't learn Focus Blast, which sucks ::))
Psychic
Morning Sun
Shadow Ball (for other psychics and ghosts)
Fake Tears (same reason as Jolteon, plus if you breed one of your eevee-lutions, you might aswell breed them all)

Roserade:

Flareon:
Will-o-wisp

This is mostly my personal preference (Espeon over Gardevoir) but it works for me, why not you?

Thank you. For the most part, this will be the team I'll go with. It's pretty much to compete with just one particular person anyway. Besides, my teams ALWAYS have Jolteon.

Can't say much for the egg moves, as I don't feel I have to go that far...

I may still go with Staraptor for Flareon. I don't know just yet.

Still, thanks for the advice everyone ^_^