• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

My new team

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Hiya,

I'm making a new team at the moment (in Ruby) and my criteria is that the Pokemon must be pkmn I've never used before. I'm willing to breed for egg moves/to get moves early, but I don't want to use legendaries. And I have access to all of the games.

The pkmn I have used heavily in the past are:
Blastoise, Charizard, Cloyster, Dugtrio, Exeggutor, Gardevoir, Gengar, Golem, Gyarados, Houndoom, Kangaskhan, Machamp, Magneton, Marshtomp, Metagross, Mightyena, Nidoqueen, Pidgeot, Poliwrath, Qwilfish, Salamence, Skarmory, Snorlax, Starmie, Venusaur, Victreebel.

So far the team consists of:
Alakazam
~Rash nature~ *Synchronize*
Fire Punch - FIRE
Ice Punch - ICE
Thunderpunch - ELECTRIC
Psychic - PSYCHIC

Scizor
~Serious nature~ *Swarm*
Slash - NORMAL
Protect
Metal Claw - STEEL
Silver Wind - BUG

Shroomish --> will evolve to Breloom at lv 54
~Serious nature~ *Effect Spore*
will have:
Leech Seed - GRASS
Spore
Focus Punch - FIGHTING
Giga Drain OR Headbutt, depending on how EVs turn out

I want to add a Water type, and maybe a Normal or Ghost type (I haven't really played Ghosts much apart from Gengar). I should probably add some Poison, Rock and/or Ground moves. I'm thinking about training an Octillery and a Sceptile:

Sceptile
~ not sure ~ *Overgrow*
Crunch - DARK
Leaf Blade - GRASS
Rock Slide - ROCK OR Earthquake - GROUND
??

Suggestions, please!

hmmmm personaly I would perfer earthquake over rockslide it just fits sceptile better and for water well there are so many waters out there maybe lanturn because it could,benefit as a water and an electric or feraligater I don't like wailord though its defenses are just too low

baratron

Staff member
Yeah - I was thinking of training either Lanturn or Whiscash. Thing is, Water & Ground is a bit annoying. Although it removes Water's vulnerability to Electric attacks, the pkmn ends up 4 x vulnerable to Grass, and also normally (1 x) vulnerable to Ice, Water and Ground. Also, Swampert was my first pkmn ever, and Whiscash is a bit similar.

The advantage of Rock Slide on Sceptile is that it compensates for Sceptile's vulnerabilities to Fire, Ice, Flying and Bug. Earthquake only compensates for Fire and Poison, and has no effect on Flying and only little effect (0.5 x) on Bug. I tend to find Flying types particularly annoying to Grass pkmn, especially because they tend to have such high speed.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
baratron said:
The advantage of Rock Slide on Sceptile is that it compensates for Sceptile's vulnerabilities to Fire, Ice, Flying and Bug. Earthquake only compensates for Fire and Poison, and has no effect on Flying and only little effect (0.5 x) on Bug. I tend to find Flying types particularly annoying to Grass pkmn, especially because they tend to have such high speed.

Very true, although think about this. When you get Emerald you can use the Move Tutor to teach Sceptile Thunder Punch. It'd take care of your Flying-types with a better accuracy than Rock Slide and then you'd be able stick with EQ (which is always useful to have for its power alone). Plus, since there aren't many pure Ice-types in the games you'd only be missing out on an anti-Bug attack, most of them are part Flying or Poison anyways.

Just a thought.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Not to mention you could toss Dragon Claw onto Sceptile... I personally hate Sceptile's guts (Ruined a perfectly good evolution line... ;_; ) but hey, if you're going for the Treeckosaurus Rex, might as well stick a powerful dragon move on it. (shrugs) Then again, I'm biased since I like Dragon Claw so much. ^_^;

But yeah. Leaf Blade and Crunch are a must.

baratron

Staff member
Sceptile and Octillery are out for now - I haven't managed to breed a Treecko or Remoraid with decent stats. I guess I'll keep them back for Emerald. (Are the Elite Four in Emerald the same as in Ruby & Sapphire? i.e. Dark, Ghost, Ice & Dragon?)

So my team is fixed at Alakazam, Scizor (who I've been VERY impressed with - she has fantastic IVs) and Shroomish. I've added a Castform:

Castform
Sunny Day
Rain Dance
Weather Ball
Solarbeam OR Hail

When Sunny Day or Rain Dance are active, Weather Ball becomes a Fire or Water move with the staggering power of 225!
(Base power 50
x 2 because a weather effect is in play
x 1.5 Sunny Day/Rain Dance same-type bonus
x 1.5 STAB as Castform changes type to match the weather = 225)

Hail "only" gets power 150, because there isn't a bonus for using an Ice move in Hail, so I'm not sure whether to go for that or the Grass-type Solarbeam, which gets powered up by Sunny Day. An Ice move would be more useful for the E4, but then again 2 of Drake's dragons have Flamethrower so would hurt Ice-type Castform a lot - decisions, decisions.

I'm thinking of adding a Walrein - never trained one before and I have deep moral objections to them after Colosseum ;), but they seem quite powerful. Walrein will probably have:
Ice Beam - ICE
Earthquake - GROUND
Surf / Waterfall - WATER
Body Slam - NORMAL ?

Ice Beam and Earthquake can both be bred across from my male Swampert, saving me some TMs 8). Uncertain whether the fourth move will be Body Slam, or if there's something better (ideas...?).

So then all I need is a sixth Pokemon. I have no idea what would complement these five, but I'm thinking about trying to get a Crobat as I don't think I've managed to evolve any Zubats. Crobat would have:
Confuse Ray
Shadow Ball - GHOST
Poison Fang - POISON (power 50 + STAB, & it's Toxic-type poison)
???

baratron

Staff member
Le bump, as no one seems to have noticed my last post.

I'm looking for help with my Crobat moveset, as well as a few odds & ends on my other pkmn.

Crobat
~Gentle nature~ (-Def +Sp Def - I chose this particular Golbat out of the many I had because it had the best IVs, and the least bad nature!! The others were all things like Timid and Modest)

Confuse Ray
Shadow Ball - GHOST
Poison Fang - POISON (power 50 + STAB, & it's Toxic-type poison)
???

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Steel-wing could be useful but Aerial Ace will give you STAB and a no-miss attack. Double Teamers beware :twisted:

Also don't forget that Shadow Ball gives you your Anti-Ghost attack, so Bite would be redundant.

Looking at Crobat's move pool the only one you'd be able to get a Super Effective hit on from your list is Ground-types with Giga Drain. I'd personally keep Aerial Ace, but Giga Drain could have its uses (even with Crobat's lower Sp. Attack).

Btw - sorry about missing your last post ^^;