• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic

Well, it seems like My Little Pony: Friendship is Magic is a hit show on the internet. It has a larger peripheral demographic of young adult and adult males, called bronies. Fans in general are called bronies, but the 'bro' part seems to refer to these men.

This show is about a unicorn pony named Twilight Sparkle studying the 'magic of friendship' in Ponyville, going through various issues in each episode. It is made in Flash.

At first, I can see how many people could dismiss it as a little kid's show. It has bright, cartoony animation, Hasbro sponsorship, and it is basically hawking a toy. However, it is a little more sophisticated than one might think. The plot may be simple, but there are many cultural references and adult-based jokes that some kids may not get. The messages are good for people of all ages, and the characters have rather diverse personalities.

After watching half an episode (something about a Gala) I was hooked. I loved it. I'm now a brony. I watched it as often as I could. I saw the first two episodes later, thinking they were a tad boring. Nevertheless, the following episodes were better, like the one with the toothless caiman's (Gummy) birthday and after-birthday party. What do you guys think of this internet phenomenon?

You're not beyond salvation yet Secad. You will only complete the transformation into a brony when you create a pony persona.

Either way, I watched the show a bit during the summer. After I saw a Pocahantas parody featuring one of these episodes, so I decided to watch a few more of them, and finished the season before I realized it. I do find the show fun though, and Secad is right, there are jokes and gags in there for all ages. This is an amazing redevelopment from the few toys underneath all of my sister's crap. I can expect nothing less from a cartoon genius like Lauren Faust. The only thing that disappoints me about it is Rule 34: Beastiality has come out of the woodworks for this...

I will keep an eye out for the next season though, save it for a rainy day, if there's such a thing for me. :p

Brendan Savem said:
You're not beyond salvation yet Secad. You will only complete the transformation into a brony when you create a pony persona.
*Brohoof*... Err, ah, Wuhetevar. I'm slightly past redemption; you've seen that pegasus in my art thread.

I love the show. The animation is just... fluid and well done. They actually change perspectives! Shows that use Flash to animate their shows usually don't have any other angle than 3/4s (ie all the shows by the company that did TDI, Johnny Test, more than I can think of...). There's good jokes, characters, colors, story... Not the worst thing to get addicted to. I tend to think of FiM as Powerpuff Girls in pony form, with a lot more slice of life and less violence.

I really wish this was around when I was a little girl, I would have loved it (with my complaint being that none of them are green). I love how this show has both girly characters and tomboyish characters and shows that neither way is wrong. It's refreshing, cuz it's usually one or the other.

Brendan Savem said:

Ergh, too late. I have a blue unicorn pony in my head named Dilettante Rodentia, called 'Dil' or 'Dily' for short. I have to draw her. :p

*brohoofs Rayn*

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Watched episode 25 because someone linked me to it. Thought it was pretty good, actually. It's very good natured, and the entire episode made me want to know what exactly was going on. The characters are diverse and colourful, and the entire thing is visually stunning. I liked it the most because the entire thing was positive, and it sends out a good message. Also, the rainbow pegasus is amazing.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Nick Fury said:
It's My Little Pony. The fuck is wrong with you people.

What the fuck is wrong with you? =0 My Little Pony is freaking amazing! Quit being such a neigh-sayer and give it a try. Unless you are so anti-friendship and have a really large stick up your ass, I guarantee you'll like it.

I only recently got into the show myself, but I love it! The animation is very well done, the characters are very diverse and well developed (My favorite is Pinky Pie) and every episode offers something new rather than being the same repeated formula as other kid's shows these days. It's one of those shows where the kids watch it because it's a fun and silly cartoon, but adults can enjoy it too because of deep plots, subtle contests, and interesting characters.

Last edited by a moderator:

Nemesis

Former Administrator
I don't need talking Ponies to tell me how friendship works. I'm not 8.

Show me the episode where the magical horses go doen the pub for some pints, steal a parasol and end up with a traffic cone, and maybe I'll take your point.

Guys, we are on a Pokemon website. A series that in at least 90% of all official incarnations is aimed at children. Yet all of us can tell each other how it appeals to us even though we are over the age of twelve.

This new Pony series has the same effect on people. Most of the fans of Friendship is Magic are not fans of any other My Little Pony incarnation. Those are legitimately bad. Lauren Faust wanted to make a little girl's show that was actually good and that the parents of those little girls could enjoy. It slipped onto 4chan and now young men like it too, because it's meant to be enjoyed by more than the demographic.

You don't have to like it, but you shouldn't give grief to those who do.

deviantart_is_my_new_trash_can_by_littleshrimp-d3t69mj.png

Oh wait, this is srs business.

Okay well, I've never really watched the original series (except for that one movie) and any other interaction with the franchise was a coloring book someone gave me. Despite being an animal lover as a child, I wasn't all that interested in the ponies. Maybe they were too girly or whatever, but I don't ever recall having one. (I did, however, steal my sister's Barbie's horse. Because realistic horse figures are awesome.)

As for the series. I saw a couple of episodes, wondered what made it so notoriously exploitable on the internet, and found a reasonably funny, well-animated series. I'm still not watching it though ' __'

Rayn_Shyu said:
Guys, we are on a Pokemon website. A series that in at least 90% of all official incarnations is aimed at children. Yet all of us can tell each other how it appeals to us even though we are over the age of twelve.

This new Pony series has the same effect on people. Most of the fans of Friendship is Magic are not fans of any other My Little Pony incarnation. Those are legitimately bad. Lauren Faust wanted to make a little girl's show that was actually good and that the parents of those little girls could enjoy. It slipped onto 4chan and now young men like it too, because it's meant to be enjoyed by more than the demographic.

You don't have to like it, but you shouldn't give grief to those who do.

^ This.

I've only watched an excerpt of the first episode, and I can see what's there to like. The characters are much more likeable than their previous counterparts by far, and despite its title, it's actually pretty awesome. If I was a couple of years younger, I would definitely have enjoyed watching the show. Also, the creators actually pay attention to their fans, as they have referenced various inside jokes known to the "bronies." I... I guess you can say I'm part of the fanbase, but I don't necessarily fangasm over them :p I know the characters by heart due to following an awesome deviantART artist, but that's pretty much it for me.