• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles My First Competitive Team...HELP!

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
Um, hi there! I'm SuperSableye24, and I'm (clearly) a Pokémon fan. For the longest time I've wanted to get into the competitive scene, but it's taken me until now to actually try and build a team. I made this team via Smogon's X and Y OU previews, but I wasn't sure if it was a good team or not. Who better to ask than my fellow residents of Charms? (Again, this is my first attempt at a team, so don't hate me if it's terrible. :'|)

(Mega)Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Body Slam/Quick Attack
- Return
- Earthquake

Mega Pinsir is meant to be my main attacker, able to switch in and deal fast, powerful damage. Swords Dance to gain extra power, Body Slam/Quick Attack and Return to deal STAB Flying type damage, and Earthquake, in case of a Fire or Rock Type.

Wartortle @ Eviolite
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 Def / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Protect
- Scald
- Foresight

Wartortle is my Rapid Spinner, and is also a Physical Wall. Foresight is added, in case of a Ghost type, Protect for...protection, and Scald so he can do some damage and possibly Burn. (I considered using Forretress, but that would leave a pretty obvious weakness to Fire for two of my Pokémon.)

Azumarill @ Sitrus Berry
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 SDef
Jolly Nature
- Belly Drum
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Superpower

Meant to be a Physical Sweeper, just as back-up in case Pinsir is taken down too early. Belly Drum and Aqua Jet are on here, because it's just way too strong.8) I added Play Rough to take care of Dragons, and Superpower for type coverage.

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Def
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast

Goodra is on here to work as both a Special attacker and a Special tank. Draco Meteor for STAB, of course. Flamethrower and Focus Blast for type coverage and possible Ice types, and Sludge Bomb for Fairies.

Charizard @ Choice Band
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def

- Dragon Dance
- Flare Blitz
- Dragon Claw
- Roost

Charizard is here to handle any Grass Types that threaten Azumarill and Wartortle, and so he can threaten Dragons without much problem. I also added Roost for recovery, and Dragon Dance for extra attack and speed.

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Hardy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Fire Punch

Deoxys-S is my main set-up user and lead, and it can set-up fast and switch out after. Also, Taunt to disable the other teams set-up user, and Fire Punch for damage.

Again, this is my first team, so sorry if it's bad or complete crap. ;_;

Last edited:
I would replace Charizard for a better D-Dance user, such as Garchomp, Gyarados, and Dragonite. A normal Charizard would be better off with a Charizardite X for physical power, since it's base form has mediocre attack. Plus, Dragonite has more resistances than Charizard, including grass.

And for a rapid spinner that'll take fire types, you have four options, since I would use one of these instead of Eviolite Wartortle.

-Torkoal is an option, as it can absorb physical fire type hits and whatnot. The problem is his Special Defence is too low.

-Starmie is a very fast spinner, but is VERY frail. The closest to a bulky starmie EV spread from Smogon(not the forums) is a 248 HP/32 Def/ 4 SpA/224 Speed, with Rapid Spin, Scald, Ice Beam/Psyshock, and Recover.

-Kabutops is also a fast spinner, has a great resistance to fire, and can be the bane of teams if they're not prepared for it. Running Swift Swim would be a good idea to prep against rain teams, and use Battle Armor if you fear crits. Weak Armor would be a good idea, but hindering that defence is a bad idea in my opinion. If you do get to use Kabutops, keep in mind about grass types, especially a chlorophyll Venusaur under the sun.

-A normal Blastoise would do fine, as it can hit Pokemon harder than Wartortle, yet Wartortle has better defences. Choose offensive or defensive, since that choice is up to you.

Overall, you team is good. Patch some holes and it'll be better in no time.

Last edited:

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
Alright, here's a possible set for Torkoal and Starmie:

Torkoal @ Leftovers
Ability: Shell Armor
EVs: 252 Def / 248 HP / 8 SDef
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Yawn

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 32 Def / 224 Spd / 4 SAtk
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Scald
- Psyshock
- Recover

I'll likely go with Torkoal instead of Starmie, because I would rather not have 2 Pokémon weak to Grass, though Goodra will probably be able to take care of those.

Here's a set for Gyarados:

Gyarados @ Life Orb
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 Def
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Waterfall
- Bounce
- Earthquake

I chose Gyarados over Dragonite and Garchomp so I wouldn't have too many Pokémon with an Ice weakness on my team.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
There's several problems with this team:

- Pinsir is missing Bug STAB. Considering Tyranitar is the most commonly-seen Rock-type, STAB X-Scissor will do more for you than Earthquake will against him. Earthquake isn't a bad option but losing Bug STAB can be quite inconvenient for you.

- Just use Blastoise if you're going for a spinner. Eviolite Wartortle is not as strong since it loses out on its hold item slot whereas Blastoise can carry Leftovers, and with the massive improvement to Knock Off Eviolite is now a much more risky option, and Wartortle without Eviolite may as well be KO'd already.

- I wouldn't have two setup sweepers on one team that both run the same kind of attacks. Either Azumarill or MegaPinsir would be better off playing a more supportive role to allow the other to sweep, and having both as setup sweepers may leave your hands tied in a tough situation.

- Consider Dragon Tail on Goodra. Although it won't do much damage, the switch-forcing more than makes up for it and since it's an attack, Assault Vest doesn't prevent you using it.

- Choice Band locks you into the first move you use, making Dragon Dance and Roost both completely worthless on this set. Also, physical Charizard is crap unless it's MegaZard X, and since Pinsir already has the Mega Stone either run special Charizard or give Charizard the Mega Stone instead.

- Why of all things did you choose Fire Punch on Deoxys? Consider Magic Coat somewhere on your set to obstruct opposing leads, Knock Off is a good option as well and for goodness sake pick a better offensive move. Even Psycho Boost would be good.

Your team isn't bad but there are a few very glaring issues present.

Burgundy

Formerly SuperSableye24
Some of the mistakes you mentioned were really dumb of me to do. That Choice Band was a terrible idea in retrospect. I'll try to fix it.

(Mega)Pinsir @ Pinsirite
Ability: Aerilate
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Body Slam
- Return
- X-Scissor

I put X-Scissor on Mega Pinsir like you said, and I went with Body Slam instead of Quick Attack since she's already fast enough, and probably wouldn't need to use it much.

Blastoise @ Leftovers
Ability: Rain Dish
EVs: 252 HP/252 Def/4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Roar/Dragon Tail
- Scald
- Foresight

Here's a better spinner in Blastoise, with bulk and Leftovers. I'm considering Roar and Dragon Tail to force switches, with Roar for accuracy and Dragon Tail for damage, but if there's something better to use, tell me.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 252 SDef / 252 HP / 4 Def
Calm/Impish Nature
- Toxic
- Attract
- Rest
- Encore

I tried making Azumarill into a supportive Pokémon, but I'm not sure about Encore and Attract. If there are better moves to use on this, please let me know. :'|

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Gooey
EVs: 248 HP / 252 SAtk / 8 Def
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Flamethrower
- Sludge Bomb
- Dragon Tail

I replaced Focus Blast with Dragon Tail, like you said. :)

Charizard @ Leftovers
Ability: Solar Power
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 Def
Timid Nature
- Fire Blast
- Air Slash
- Sunny Day
- Solar Beam

Again, I feel like an idiot for putting Choice Band on that Charizard. XP I want to use Pinsir as my Mega Pokémon, so I think I'll just run a special Charizard. I gave it Solar Beam/Sunny Day combo with Solar Power and Leftovers, plus Air Slash and Fire Blast for STAB.

Deoxys-Speed @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 HP / 4 SAtk
Hardy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Knock Off
- Magic Coat
- Psyshock

Ok, so I added Knock Off and Magic Coat like you said, and replaced Fire Punch with Psyshock. I kept Stealth Rock as my hazard instead of Spikes.

Hopefully this team is a bit better. I tried my best. :(

Last edited:
Annoy the hell outta people if you're using a supportive Azumarill, especially with this set.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Calm/Impish Nature
- Perish Song
- Whirlpool
- Scald
- Toxic/Encore/Anything really

Main goal; Use whirlpool first, that'll get the poke trapped. The next thing you should do is Perish Song; allowing the opponent no escape for several turns; enough time for Perish Song to KO the poke. The turn before that happens, switch out or you'll be KO'd yourself

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Annoy the hell outta people if you're using a supportive Azumarill, especially with this set.

Azumarill @ Leftovers
Ability: Sap Sipper
Calm/Impish Nature
- Perish Song
- Whirlpool
- Scald
- PROTECT

How you managed to miss out the single-most important move on any PerishTrapper set is beyond me.

How you managed to miss out the single-most important move on any PerishTrapper set is beyond me.
My bad, I was a little tired with putting that up. Probably thats why I put the anything, because I wasn't thinking about it at first. Stupid head mixing my thoughts