• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS My current team (game incomplete though =\)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Am I still eligible?

Anyways, I have a very small team of pokémon I've raised from the beginning of pokémon Gold. It's not the best team ever, I'm not sure if they'll score very high here, but they did so well against the Elite Four, one hit and they were out kind of thing. (I never use potions either, I tend to keep them and never use them XD)

Anywhoodles, onto the pokémon and move sets (I never realised the sets were so important =\)

--

POKéMON: Rapidash
Level: 47
Name: Ralidya
Moveset: Fury Attack, Ember, Stomp, Agility

POKéMON: Onix
Level: 50
Name: Rocky
Moveset: Slam, Earthquake, Strength, Rock Throw

POKéMON: Ho-oh
Level: 45
Name: Heltighast
Moveset: Sacred Fire, Safeguard, Gust, Recover

POKéMON: Pidgeot
Level: 52
Name: Paul
Moveset: Swift, Fly, Gust, Quick Attack

POKéMON: Feraligtr
Level: 58
Name: Toby
Moveset: Surf, Bite, Cut, Ice Punch

I realise I have an insanely crap selection of moves, so if anybody could suggest any TMs to use (Another thing I never use).. I'd be grateful.
I just want to find out how I can use these pokémon to their best.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Hmm... I'm not as familiar with Gold as I used to be, so I can't suggest too much for now. An obvious thing you could do to better you team, though, would be to upgrade some of your weaker attacks for their stronger versions (ie. Flamethrower over Ember on Rapidash) You should also get rid of extra attacks like Slam on Onix for something else. With Strength already on it - a stronger, more accurate Normal attack - Slam seems a bit redundant.

If I locate my G/S guide I'll skim over it to refresh my memory of TM moves and the like. Until then I doubt I can be of much help, sorry ^^;

I'm working on getting flamethrower for Rapidash, and you're right about the slam (he always misses with that one. :roll: ) So I'll change and swap some of the moves around, thanks. ^^,

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Something else to think about when changing their movesets is each Pokemon's weakness. Take Pidgeot for example. Normally against a Rock-type it would have no chance, but give it something like Steel Wing and you can surprise the opponent. Another could be putting Earthquake on your Feraligator, and - if its learnable in G/S - Solarbeam/Sunny Day on Rapidash.

I'm also curious about something. Why does your Pidgeot know Gust instead of Wing Attack? I assume its because you put Fly over Wing Attack, eh? I don't partiacularly like Fly - rather use a one turn attack - but Gust isn't really useful/needed if you already have something stronger. Sadly, though, I totally forget if G/S/C had access to the Move Tutor who retaught them forgetten moves...

The reason he still has gust is because.. for some reason.. Wing Attack wasn't as effective as gust. I'm not sure, but ya.. It's a waste having them both know gust though, so I'm going to go through all of my TMs etc and see if I can improve them. Gust isn't as good as it was though, and I don't use it anymore.. I'm keeping quick attack though *is in love with quick attack* I'm not a fan of fly either, but it's useful out of battle.

Steel Wing? Hmm.. I'll have to find out about that.. *woots randomly*

edit: My ho-oh can learn solarbeam, but Rapidash can't. Should I teach it to ho-oh?

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
If you were to include SolarBeam, you should get in Sunny Day too, that way Sacred Fire is uber-powerful and Solarbeam needs no charging. Which is always nice.

POKéMON: Ho-oh
Level: 45
Name: Heltighast
Moveset: Sacred Fire, Sunny Day, Solarbeam, Recover

You don't really need safeguard that much, just pick the berry that will cure whichever status condition it is you were worried about and have Ho-oh hold it. Chances are that unless it's sleep or paralysis, you don't need to worry about it that much on Ho-oh anyway. With Solarbeam/Sacred Fire charged up with Sunny Day, you're unlikely to need to stay in battle long enough for Ho-oh to succumb to poisoning.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
Dumdadum said:
Am I still eligible?

Anyways, I have a very small team of pokémon I've raised from the beginning of pokémon Gold. It's not the best team ever, I'm not sure if they'll score very high here, but they did so well against the Elite Four, one hit and they were out kind of thing.

Sadly, I know pretty much nothing about Pokemon Gold, so I can't really help, but I just wanted to say don't worry about scoring - PokeCharms, unlike some of the other Pokemon forums out there, is generally populated by mature people who are more interested in helping you make your team stronger than in putting you down for it being so "weak" :).

And listen to Linkachu, she knows what she's talking about. Dr Oak's Ho-oh sounds pretty good too.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Tsk... tsk... tsk... Reviving dead topics when the topic starter left 'Charms ages ago...

Goodbye, n00bish fool. We hardly knew ya. Thank god.

Status
Not open for further replies.