• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles My Compeditive Team

So, I am sort of new to competitive battling. I only first started getting into it when 6th gen rolled around. And I have a team together and was wondering if someone could give me some advice.

Chesnaught @ Leftovers
Careful
Bulletproof
252 Defense, 252 HP, 4 Attack

Seed Bomb
Spikey Shield
Brick Break/Hammar Arm
Leech Seed

Swamper @ Choice Band
Adamant
Torrent
252 Attack, 150 HP, 106 Defense

Earthquake
Avalanche
Waterfall
Hammer Arm

Umbreon @ Leftovers
Careful
Synchronize
252 SpDefense, 252 HP, 4 Defense

Wish
Protect
Heal Bell
Toxic

Cradily @ Leftovers
Careful
Suction Cup
252 SpDefense, 252 HP, 4 Defense

Giga Drain
Toxic
Recover
Stealth Rocks

Crobat @ Black Sludge
Timid
Inner Focus
252 Speed, 252 SpAttack, 4 HP

Defog
Sludge Bomb
Shadow Ball
Swager

Flygon @ Choice Scarf
Adamant
Levitate
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 4 Defense

Earthquake
U-turn
Rock Slide
Dragon Claw

Now, I know I see a pretty big weakness to Fairy types here, so I was hoping someone could give me some tips on what I could do.

Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Basically, you need to give us more before we can help you :)

Ze Rules said:
7. Finally, don't just post a team of 6 Pokémon and expect us to make all your movesets from scratch - at least go as far as to suggest your own ideas for movesets, as well as making sure we know exactly what you want each Pokémon to do for you. Going back to the point about asking us to pick your team members for you, the Clinic is for giving advice and helping people along, not for people to ask for other members to make all their movesets from scratch because they're too lazy to do it themselves.

The reason I post this particular rule is that it's not only the Pokémon you choose that affect your type weaknesses and advantages, it's your move sets too. For example: Pokécharms recently ran a mono-type team, and my type ended up being Dragon. Means you'd think I was pretty screwed over by Fairy types, right? Well, to counter this a core part of my team was Dralgage, whose Poison-type STAB worked to get rid of 'em. Steel type moves, or just beating the living daylights out of them with regularly effective moves, works too.

So yeah, some light bedtime reading for you: Firstly, read the Rules and Guidelines to know how requests for advice should be posted here. Secondly, you couldn't go wrong by reading Basics to Competitive Team-Making, which is a comprehensive beginner's guide to competitive. Then you can come back to this thread and have a go at making a proper team - once you do, I'd be more than happy to help out and so would others. ^^

Basically, you need to give us more before we can help you :)

The reason I post this particular rule is that it's not only the Pokémon you choose that affect your type weaknesses and advantages, it's your move sets too. For example: Pokécharms recently ran a mono-type team, and my type ended up being Dragon. Means you'd think I was pretty screwed over by Fairy types, right? Well, to counter this a core part of my team was Dralgage, whose Poison-type STAB worked to get rid of 'em. Steel type moves, or just beating the living daylights out of them with regularly effective moves, works too.

So yeah, some light bedtime reading for you: Firstly, read the Rules and Guidelines to know how requests for advice should be posted here. Secondly, you couldn't go wrong by reading Basics to Competitive Team-Making, which is a comprehensive beginner's guide to competitive. Then you can come back to this thread and have a go at making a proper team - once you do, I'd be more than happy to help out and so would others. ^^

Sorry, I was a bit tired when posting this, but I did read the rules. And I wasn't asking for movesets, but I guess I really should have specified. Most of these pokemon I have already have movesets.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
On my phone so only doing a quick analysis but Umbreon would be next to useless up against a steel or poison type. Since you already have toxic on Cradily, I'd suggest switching that in favor of Foul Play or some other move.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Every Umbreon set under the sun will be useless against anything Poison or Steel-type since Toxic is the only real source of damage it has and Foul Play is only particularly damaging with Swagger and well yeah Smogon hurr durr.

But yeah, massive Ice weakness here as Jeydis said. Protean Greninja with Ice Beam would be able to annihilate half your team by itself and Grass Knot and Taunt would have Swampert and Umbreon covered as well.

You also lack an entry hazard user.

I think that's all that needs to be said for now.

Every Umbreon set under the sun will be useless against anything Poison or Steel-type since Toxic is the only real source of damage it has and Foul Play is only particularly damaging with Swagger and well yeah Smogon hurr durr.

But yeah, massive Ice weakness here as Jeydis said. Protean Greninja with Ice Beam would be able to annihilate half your team by itself and Grass Knot and Taunt would have Swampert and Umbreon covered as well.

You also lack an entry hazard user.

I think that's all that needs to be said for now.

Okay... well how about this team? Sorry if this sort of seems to be pestering, but this team has actually gotten me some success. The first one was just an idea.

Sableye @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Will-O-Wisp
- Recover
- Mean Look
- Taunt

Cradily @ Leftovers
Ability: Storm Drain
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Giga Drain
- Toxic
- Recover

Diggersby @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Return
- Wild Charge
- U-turn

Swampert @ Choice Band
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Waterfall
- Ice Punch
- Superpower

Sigilyph @ Flame Orb
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Psycho Shift
- Roost
- Cosmic Power
- Stored Power

Rotom-Heat @ Choice Specs
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpA / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Overheat
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power [Grass]
- Trick

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
This is a much stronger team, I'd stick with this one. Some pointers:

- Sableye doesn't really need Mean Look since in all likelihood nothing will switch into or stay in against Sableye that it'll really benefit from trapping (unless your opponent is stupid.) Trick + Lagging Tail is a brutal combination for Sableye if you don't mind giving up your item slot for it for instance (although you can steal Leftovers off of something if you predict well) and don't forget some of Sableye's offensive options like Sucker Punch and... well, Sucker Punch.

- Cradily's pretty much fine. Swampert may be better off as your Stealth Rock user however as it frees up Cradily to provide other benefits for itself and the team.

- I'm curious as to how much Diggersby would really outspeed but if Heatran can Scarf up then I guess Diggersby can too. If you find the set doesn't quite pull its weight in the speed category consider swapping out the speed for extra bulk and giving it Swampert's Choice Band instead as an alternative.

- Swampert isn't really the best Choice Band user in the world, but he's not awful at it either. Consider the bog-standard Earthquake/Ice Beam/Stealth Rock/Roar set as an alternative if the Band set doesn't work out for you.

- Consider Hidden Power Ice instead of Grass for Heat Rotom if you find Dragons are proving a regular pain for you.

That's all for now.

This is a much stronger team, I'd stick with this one. Some pointers:

- Sableye doesn't really need Mean Look since in all likelihood nothing will switch into or stay in against Sableye that it'll really benefit from trapping (unless your opponent is stupid.) Trick + Lagging Tail is a brutal combination for Sableye if you don't mind giving up your item slot for it for instance (although you can steal Leftovers off of something if you predict well) and don't forget some of Sableye's offensive options like Sucker Punch and... well, Sucker Punch.

- Cradily's pretty much fine. Swampert may be better off as your Stealth Rock user however as it frees up Cradily to provide other benefits for itself and the team.

- I'm curious as to how much Diggersby would really outspeed but if Heatran can Scarf up then I guess Diggersby can too. If you find the set doesn't quite pull its weight in the speed category consider swapping out the speed for extra bulk and giving it Swampert's Choice Band instead as an alternative.

- Swampert isn't really the best Choice Band user in the world, but he's not awful at it either. Consider the bog-standard Earthquake/Ice Beam/Stealth Rock/Roar set as an alternative if the Band set doesn't work out for you.

- Consider Hidden Power Ice instead of Grass for Heat Rotom if you find Dragons are proving a regular pain for you.

That's all for now.

Right. Thanks for the tips. Though about the Mean Look, that wasn't actually supposed to be there. I usually give him Knock Off instead.

And about Swampert. I have actually been thinking recently that I would try giving him Avalanch for the extra power. He isn't exactly going to be out speeding things and the power boost is pretty nice. And also, this is a team I was hoping to try to use in my actual game. And I don't have access to getting Stealth Rock on my Swampert. This is a team that I use as my second main team on Showdown and was hoping to transfer it to my X version.

And Diggersby is actually pretty fast. Most of the time unless he is put up against a pokemon that has raised their speed or is especially fast like Greninja or Crobat he can out speed them pretty well.

As a note you still have a pretty large weakness to ice in the remade team. Thankfully Rotom-H helps a bit with that, though the aforementioned widely popular protean Greninja may cause you trouble with with Rotom-H around. I would consider running a different sweeper to Diggersby perhaps to help with that situation, may I suggest the likes of Azumarill? They server a similar purpose but Azumarill opens up a move varied sweeping set up and the great Fairy typing.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Want to deal with Greninja? Use Wash Rotom instead of Heat Rotom.

Freeze Dry becomes an issue but it's such a rare move it's not worth worrying about too much.

As a note you still have a pretty large weakness to ice in the remade team. Thankfully Rotom-H helps a bit with that, though the aforementioned widely popular protean Greninja may cause you trouble with with Rotom-H around. I would consider running a different sweeper to Diggersby perhaps to help with that situation, may I suggest the likes of Azumarill? They server a similar purpose but Azumarill opens up a move varied sweeping set up and the great Fairy typing.

I do appreciate all the help. But is there any other pokemon you would reccomend to replace Diggersby? I have nothing against Azumeril, but I would prefer not to use it unless you really think that would be the best choice.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Anything that resists Ice and hits hard physically will fill the slot fine really.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
How does this look?

Metagross @ Weakness Policy
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Agility
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake

In most cases HP will serve you better than Full EVs in a particular defensive stat, especially in a case like Metagross where the base Defense stat far outshines the HP stat. Here's some examples to back up my claim

Salamence Earthquake vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Metagross: (64.2 - 75.8%)
Salamence Earthquake vs. 0 HP / 252 Def Metagross: (63.7 - 76%)​

There is a very slight difference, and that may make the difference in a few cases... but then compare how much of a difference it makes on the specially defensive side:

Salamence Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: (67 - 79.3%)
Salamence Fire Blast vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Metagross: (81 - 96%)

FalChromiforme

Formerly Aurora Beam
Don't feel offended by all of these comments. I took their advice (because apparently I sucked at team-building) and made another team. Hopefully this one will do well.