• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles My attempt at a Team

Atma

Formerly Karu
My first properly competitive team with some aid from Ruko. Looking for general tips of improvement on this or any tips at all, really. For use online and in local tourneys.

Hildegard (Gardevoir) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Synchronize
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psyshock
- Shadow Ball
- Substitute

Scizor @ Life Orb
Ability: Technician
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 SDef
Adamant Nature
- Bullet Punch
- U-turn
- Aerial Ace
- Swords Dance

Goodra @ Assault Vest
Ability: Sap Sipper
EVs: 252 Def / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Calm Nature
- Muddy Water
- Dragon Pulse
- Fire Blast
- Sludge Bomb

Greninja
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Acrobatics
- Water Shuriken
- U-turn
- Spikes

Ditto @ Metal Powder
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature
- Transform

Relicanth @ Leftovers
Ability: Swift Swim
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spd
Adamant Nature
- Head Smash
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
- Rain Dance

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Consider Calm Mind as a possibility for Gardevoir. MegaGardevoir's 100 Speed makes it a fair bit better for sweeping than its normal form used to be. Your current set is fine however.

Aerial Ace is too weak even on Scizor and provides inferior coverage compared to Superpower. Superpower also lets you crush any careless Heatran switching in on you if you predict them coming in.

Goodra is probably better off with max HP instead of max Def. Remember that boosting your HP cushions both your defenses at once and Goodra doesn't really have high enough base HP to leave it untrained. If you find yourself still too frail physically, shift EVs around between HP and Defense or Sp.Atk until you find a balance that works - just don't leave HP with nothing.

Greninja needs Jolly so that he can speed-tie other Greninja that may carry Taunt or a move that could KO you. Speaking of Taunt, consider Taunt as a possible option.

Ditto is... well, Ditto. There's only so many movesets you can suggest for him.

I'm guessing you've already done this looking at your spread but note that Relicanth may end up wasting EVs if you put too many into Speed. He only needs so many to outspeed everything he can or needs to and anything after that is effectively wasted.

Atma

Formerly Karu
Thank you very much, I'll test these out right away. My only question is if I am to integrate Calm Mind what would be advisable to swap out for it? Shadow Ball, Substitute?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
It'd probably end up having to be Substitute since Gardevoir loses a lot of coverage choices from knocking off an attack, assuming you wanted a more offense-oriented set. Hyper Voice costs it its strongest move, Psyshock makes you a lot easier to wall and Shadow Ball leaves you no options against Steel, even though SubCM is exceptionally strong. Shadow Ball would probably be the first attack to knock off if you wanted SubCM though since you'd be able to set up and sweep with no Steel-types in your way.