• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Musical Instruments. What Do You Own?

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
It seems like a lot of us here can play a musical instrument or so. So what do you guys own/play, and what got you interested in that instrument?

I can play Acoustic Guitar, I've been playing for almost two years now (I got it as a Birthday present for my 15th), and while I don't think I'm great at it, I do get a decent sound out of it and can play quite a few songs. :) I got interested in it thanks to watching a lot of the bands I like play acoustic, while I don't just love acoustic music, I do love listening to my favourite songs played that way, and the sound you can get from an acoustic is awesome.

What really made me say, "Right I want an acoustic guitar", was watching the band "Never Shout Never" playing "Big City Dreams" live. I love that song and how well it works acoustic. ♥

Discuss.

I only have a keyboard that is like 8 or 9 years old now. The thing is I don't play it because the noise it makes doesn't sound keyboard so I just use the option that plays the songs already programmed into it. The main prerecorded song I listen to is Wannebe by the Spice Girls xD

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I have a keyboard, a piano, a viola, a guitar, a wooden flute from China, a harmonica, and several others I can't think of atm.

Yeah. I know.

EDIT: Maybe I should explain a little. The keyboard is for my parents, since they're both in the church choir and they're always afraid of singing out of tune, they use it to help tune themselves (because they trust the pitch of the keyboard more than the piano's).

I play the piano and viola, and the guitar... well, I was going to learn how to play it, but never found the time or energy to try. XD In addition to the viola, the other string instruments in our house are a jinhu and an erhu, both considered part of the Chinese violin family. My grandpa plays the jinhu (and the piano too, from time to time), and I learned to erhu so I could be a sort of compliment to him. The erhu has a somewhat mellower and lower sound, compared to the jinhu, kind of like the relationship between a viola and a violin.

The wooden flute is a sort of nostalgia thing for my dad. He was a cow herder back in China, and it's a sort of a stereotype for people like him to be able to play the flute. And yes, he did know how to play it himself, and passed many a day sitting next to the stream, blowing some tune or another through the instrument. The one we currently have isn't his original one, but it's close enough.

My uncle gave the harmonica to us because he knew that my grandpa liked to play it. Too bad it's made out of lead metal, though, so we've since stopped playing on it. It's kind of sad, because I liked the sound of the harmonica.

We have a keyboard, a really ancient one that still works oddly well, a piano my sister likes to play on, a miniature yambee, and an incredibly out-of-tune acoustic guitar.

I can't really say I play anything. I took drumming lessons for some time, and did a year of yambee, so percussion is pretty much it. I do like a bit of improvising on the piano now and then, though. xD

I play piano. And Guitar Hero. Kind of a beast on that that surpasses most other mortals. But mostly piano. I only have a crappy keyboard that is missing the lowest and highest octaves, so you have a little transcribe button that takes it up or down an octave. Meanwhile at college, I've been playing that baby grand every frickin' day. <3333333

I haven't taken lessons, though. I honestly believe that the only way to properly play any instrument is through a process of experimentation and revision. I also can't read sheet music, and probably never will. Back in elementary and middle school, I took a music class every year, and every year kept showing that I was unable to read the damn stuff XD

My current process of playing the piano is by ear, though I'll look up a tutorial or two on YouTube if I can't figure it out, as well as occasionally see if I correctly interpreted the music in the right notes.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
We own a number of guitars (two classical, one acoustic and one electric that is unfortunately dead), a piano, a number of flute-type things and harmonicas and a Yamaha PortaTone PSR-410 keyboard.

Of which I play the guitars and the keyboard/piano. I got into keyboards/pianos first, and I actually took keyboard lessons for a few years when I was a kid - and simply morphed what I knew on Keyboard into piano. Even then I enjoyed improvising things a lot better than actually following sheet music (which I only barely remember how to read these days, honestly XD)

I am a bit rusty with keyboard-type instruments - as at some point my primary instrument of choice switched to guitars. These I actually taught myself with some help from my dad (who was the primary guitar-person of ze house for the longest time XD). I hear I'm pretty decent at those.

What got me interested? Hard to say. I've always been quite the musical critter, I guess ^^;

Bah. Music. I enjoy listening to it and I'm pretty good at imitating the notes of the voice and okay at playing simple tunes by ear on the piano, I stink. I took piano for six years, still stuck on median level of my curriculum. It was difficult to quit (It didn't help my piano teacher had lots of wonderful kitties), but once I did, I could relax and focus on my schoolwork more.

baratron

Moderator of Elder Scrolls
Staff member
I own and can theoretically play the cello, but in practice I haven't for years because I have a bad back, and the posture required for the cello isn't compatible with my back :(.

I also own an electric bass guitar, but I haven't learned how to play it yet due to THINGS and STUFF taking up all my spare time.

My partner has an electric guitar, and a drum kit. I can play the drums very badly, he can play them properly.

I wish I could play an instrument, but alas, I quit my piano lessons when I was very young. However we still have a keyboard from my days of attempting to play.

If I played the bass guitar, I would likely go up several cool points :-D

Rinoa Heartilly

Mother of Meltans
I can play both electric and acoustic guitar, harmonica, ocarina, keyboard [I'd really love a proper piano], trumpet, accordion and xylophone as well as sing. I've always wanted to learn the saxophone and flute... I suck at the drums and violin. n_n;

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
I can play songs on the recorder, and I used to play electric and acoustic guitar.
I'm starting the Flute, and hope to play the Cello.

Last edited:
I have a talent for learning things rather quickly, I've picked up some instrument skills over time. I've learned the violin and the viola, as well as almost every percussion instrument and a trumpet. Although I only own a voila. I've lost a bit of interest in instruments overtime.

I have a bass guitar (that I play) and an acoustic guitar (that collects dust). There's also a bunch of other less important musical devices around my room, like an electric keyboard, a fife, about 5 recorders of various quality (and taste!), some panpipes, and an accordion. My dad also keeps his trumpet in my room for some reason.

I own a viola that I play during Orchestra, even though I'm not that confident in it yet, I'm getting better at it. What got me interested in my viola was the story that my brother played it when he was younger then quit it, so being the kid who likes to surpass her brother, I learned how to play the viola and stuck to it like glue.

I own an Epiphone sg /w a Seymour Duncan and dimarzio pickups
I have 3 electric basses. 2 are 4 string the other is 5. 1 four string is a red ibanez gio, the other is an epiphone thunderbird pro black and my 5string is an esp ltd f 415fm in trans black.
For keyboards I have an M-audio Venom synth and an akai mpk88.
I started playing guitar when I was 11 then picked up piano as well at 13. Bass is more recent. I got into bass like 5 years ago. I play regularly. I like a wide variety of music but my roots are in industrial, metal and ambient music.

I own a keyboard, two electric guitars, and a drum set. I started playing at age 3, that's when my brother bought my first instrument, which was basically a toy guitar, and since then I got hooked. My skills on keyboard is mostly acceptable, I suck at drums, and I'm a bit rusty on guitar. ^^

I have a clarinet. Yep, like Squidward. But I consider myself to be decent at it; I even got first chair once! ^^ (#Accomplishments) The clarinet wasn't actually my first choice for sixth grade Band. I wanted to play flute, but I literally couldn't even make a sound when I tried. My Band teacher thought I should try something else, and he gave me a little bit of time to think on it. My mom played saxophone and clarinet, but for some reason I went with the clarinet. I borrowed one from the school at first, but my grandma had my mom's clarinet shipped to us so I could be the next generation clarinet girl. I'm hoping to learn guitar or drums sometime, wish me luck! ^^

My youngest brother recently got an electric guitar, but he's not exactly the best on it... :'|

My other brother plays trumpet in Band. He's okay, but he definitely has a bit to learn. He just started, so he's got time. He doesn't practice much, and that affects his playing quite a bit. But he's working on it!

My mom, as I said before, played the saxophone. She has one now, but doesn't usually have the time to take it out.

I play every saxophone (whichever my conductor needs me on), although I only own a Tenor and an Alto. We have relativly small band with only about 30 kids in it(That's for seventh and eighth grade) I am the first chair though. I have a broken keyboard that surprising works, It's just somehow flat. I have an elctric guitar, but I have no idea how to play it. I got an Ocarina for christmas last year and am pretty decent with it.I can crudley play the piano, (like I only no where D is. So give me an 1 hour and I can ear play a simple song) I can play "That's what makes you beautiful" on any instrument. I'm saving up money for a violin and an aucistic guitar.

I play the alto and tenor saxophones, but as of right now, I don't own either of them. My alto should be here any day, though! :D

As for what I own, the list includes an electric guitar, keyboard, harmonica, and a trashy recorder I got from Walmart for $.98. It plays worse than the one I had in elementary school (although, to be fair, I don't really know what I expected...), but I think I passed that one down to my brother so my parents wouldn't have to buy a new one. I cri to this day. ;-;