• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Music in Gaming

What are some of your favorites songs from a game you've played.
My favorite songs:
Sympathy for the Devil CoD Black Ops
Warthog Run and Never Forget AKA Unforgotten Halo 3
Prepare to Drop and Rain Halo 3 ODST
National Park Pokemon Pokemon HG/SS
Type A Tetris
Accumula Town with drums and piano Pokemon B/W
Baba Yetu Civilization IV

Last edited by a moderator:

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Nearly all of the Final Fantasy music is gorgeous, but particular mentions have to be The Extreme, The Oath, The Man With The Machine Gun and Force Your Way from FF8, You're Not Alone, Bran Bal, Gizmaluke's Grotto from FF9, Aerith's Theme and J-E-N-O-V-A from FF7, the entire FF6 soundtrack and, of course, all variations on Battle on the Big Bridge.

Only one right answer:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCngZZFG7r8

OK MISTER SUNSHINE
[move]
tacomaybe1.gif
tacomaybe1.gif
tacomaybe1.gif
[/move]
I dont even care that the dogs are flying backwards.

Snowman ------ Mother 3

I can't think of others right now.... (or I don't know the name hehe) but when I remember (or know) I'll post it

Withered leaf -------- Touhou 7
The fantastic Legend of Tohno ------ Touhou 7

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
It's disgraceful that there is not yet any mention of the Sonic franchise here. Firstly, the music in all of the classic 3 and a half main series games is sublime bordering on perfection. In fact, I'd pretty much just call Sonic 2's soundtrack the most perfect soundtrack in any game, ever. There's not a single piece of music in that game that isn't outstanding, iconic and memorable.

In more modern times, the level themes aren't so great. Although some are still pretty good, they're just not iconic or memorable on the level of stuff like Mystic Cave zone or Sky Sanctuary. The real shining stars of the modern games, though, are the songs. Every game gets one or more vocal themes as the headline act, often working as the backdrop for the final boss as well as seeing the theme recur in variation throughout the game. Sure they're cheesy nonsense, but they're fun and enjoyable cheesy nonsense. I love them all. Especially Knight Of The Wind. Which I'm gonna finish this post with.

Last edited by a moderator:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Yoko Shimomura's beautiful master pieces collectively known as the complete Kingdom Hearts OST. Nobuo Uematsu gets honorable mention for Final Fantasy, but Kingdom Hearts has such an instantly recognizable sound and feeling to it. There are so many examples I could mention that I don't know where to start!

The music from Pokemon is also on my list of likes. Again, there are so many beautiful tracks that I just can't pick a favorite.

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
The orchestrated music in the Mario Galaxy games were some of the greatest pieces I've ever heard, and a major reason why I love the two games.

I always loved the music in the Kirby games as well, most notably the music in Kirby 64, though that's probably just because it was one of the first Kirby games I had ever played. Something about the fast paced music just sets the intended mood up really well.

I also recently found a heavy likeness for the music in the Mother series as well, especially how the songs range from happy, sad, serious, and horrifying and really keep the tone of the story going along nicely.

And of course, I gotta give respect for the Pokemon series' music. Each game I've played has got at least a handful of good songs in them, and the fact that nearly all of them are memorable is just proof of how important the music is to those games.

I will say that Pokemon has some pretty good soundtracks, but definitely got better with the Mystery Dungeon series and BW, but HGSS and FRLG also had some good tracks too.

In case I'm forgetting anything else, definitely the Final Fantasy and Kingdom Hearts. I especially like the tracks that stress the violins in the background.

While I'm at it, Jun Senoe has always made good music for the Sonic series, minus Unleashed (though Endless Possibilities and the orchestrated version was kick ass). I like how they always give the songs good beats that can get your blood pumping. Even though many people disliked the game, in my opinion, 06 had some pretty good tracks. However, I do need to give props to Colors as well for mixing it up a bit. It gives me hope for Generations as well.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
This topic would be the death of me if I had the time and energy to answer it properly - but thankfully, I don't. ;p

So I'll just post this:
Final Fantasy VI - Ending Theme (Part 1 of 2)
Final Fantasy VI - Ending Theme (Part 2 of 2)

I can only imagine what this 20+ minute song would sound like properly orchestrated. Arguably the best ending track from any game I've ever played. I adore the flow of it and how it incorporates every playable characters' unique theme, the Final Fantasy theme, and then some.

Fumanshu said:
Only one right answer:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WCngZZFG7r8
OK MISTER SUNSHINE
[move]
tacomaybe1.gif
tacomaybe1.gif
tacomaybe1.gif
[/move]
I dont even care that the dogs are flying backwards.
I never had played Katamari... but man the music is awesome and your Taco Dogs are amazing, sir.

Let's be redundantdantdant!
FFVII - Main theme, Aerith's theme, Jenova theme. I like Tifa's too, but man, Aerith's gets stuck in my head now all the time cuz it's all emotional. And I like the Underwater theme, and the Highwind and Cid's and...
Kingdom Hearts - Ohohoh, good tracks. Who knew that a pop star could create the main theme for such a good franchise? And the tracks for each world are very good too, it really helps give it the feel for it.
Pokemon - My pretty much absolute fave is Route 38 & 39 in GSC. The drums are so cool but no one who does a remix has the drum riff/thing/what ever. HG and SS did different drums and it isn't as cool D:. And the surf music is pretty good for all of them... there's a Pokemon music thread soooo I'll rant about other games...

Less redundantdantdant...
Mario - Who could forget the classic? Very fun to watch someone do it blindfolded on a piano :D
World of Warcraft - I'm a bit particular to the music in Ashenvale, Howling Fjord and Shadowfang Keep.
Starcraft - It has a composer for each side! I love the Terran music, Rock 'n Roll and such. Protoss music can be pretty too.

pokemon music
N's castle bridge
elite four battle (hoenn and unova)

jet set radio/Future
Humming the bassline
that's enough
every jump around
let mom sleep (original and remix)
miller ball breakers
Funky dealer
fly like a butterfly
Shape da future
Count latchula
Latch brothers bounce to name a few

Here is my top five game themes (not just ones I have played)

5. Red/Champion Theme- HGSS
4. Ai no Uta- Pikmin
3. Huin City- B/W
2. Reset- Okami
1. N's Farewell- B/W

I have a couple, but these are all that I can think of for the moment:

Blizzeta - TP
Volvagia - OoT
Dancing Mad - FFIII/VI
Kefka's Theme - FFIII/VI
Dark Side of Fate - Touhou 10
Road of the Apotropaic God - Touhou 10

... Yes I'm a Hina Fanboy D=<

These are the songs that I always seem to find myself humming at odd moments:

One winged angel:FF7
His world(instrumental version):sonic '06
Wily's castle stage 1: Megaman 2
Taokakka's theme: Blazblue
Green hill zone: Sonic the hedgehog
The song of healing: LoZ Majora's Mask
Ridley's theme: Metroid other m

I forgot to say I like:

-Castelia city: pokemon B/W
-Doll Judgement: Touhou 7 (marisa stole the precious thing :D)
-The skyrunner: Earthbound
-Because I Love you: Earthbound
- Fall of Fall~ Autumnal waterfall : Touhou 10 (XD Pun)

AzureEdge

✧luzrov rulay✧
My favorites have to be
Eternal Sonata- Heaven's Mirror
Tales of Legendia- Birds Chirp, I sing or My Tales
Ni No Kuni- Pieces of a Broken Heart/ Kokoro no Kakera.

ive got alot but ill give some

lost woods: legend of zelda oot
athletic theme: new super mario bros wii
bob-omb battlefield: super mario 64
alot of super mario galaxy music
rainbow road: mario kart 64 and wii
bowsers castle: mario kart ds
kanto gym leader: pokemon hg/ss
mushroom hill zone: sonic 3 and knuckles
kalos elite 4: pokemon x/y
planet wisp act 1/modern: sonic colors/sonic generations

Route 201 in Pokemon Diamond is my favorite music in Pokemon, and my favorite music of all time would be tied with "Fighting Johnny Vincent" and "Punishment" from Bully SE

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
I've never really found music in a game that has stood out for me very much. Even though Sonic 06 was a bad game I found myself really liking "His World" as a kid. One recent piece of music I've liked is the song that plays when you are about to challenge the Elite Four/Champion in Pokemon X and Y. It gives me that feeling of a long journey ending and the final trial coming.

There are more than one answer.

Xenoblade Chronicles
Ace Attorney
Tales of Zestiria
Undertale
Yandere Simulator (I just like the peaceful music.)
Pokémon

...and finally. One of the best...

...Kirby.

I LOVE DARK META KNIGHT'S THEME YEEEES

*cracks her knuckles* Let's done do this.

Death by Glamour (Undertale) - An amazing song in a soundtrack full of amazing songs, it's difficult to choose just one battle theme from Undertale - and let's be clear, the battle themes are where Undertale really shines. There isn't a battle theme in this game that isn't amazing, but I'm quite partial to this one just for its dance club vibe.

Calamari Inkantation (Splatoon) - Hey, do you like the music that plays whenever a Splatfest is going on? How'd you like it if we took that music and made it into a final battle theme? This one's pretty goofy, but also terribly catchy.

Victory in the Dream World (Mario & Luigi: Dream Team) - This game gets a lot of flak for a variety of reasons, but one way it stands out is its soundtrack. Not only is it the strongest soundtrack of the entire M&L series, it's also arguably some of the finest work Yoko Shimomura has done. It's lively, upbeat, and cheerful - but also still keeps that battle vibe. I never once got tired of it while playing through this game.

Xerneas and Yveltal (Pokemon X & Y) - Second best battle theme in the entire Pokemon series, beaten only by...

Miror B.'s Disco Groove (Pokemon XD) - ...this one. They need to get this composer doing work for the main series Pokemon games.

Discussion -HEAT UP- (Danganronpa) - The song that plays whenever the trial gets to a fever pitch. It doesn't sound like what you'd think a trial should sound like, but that's okay; it matches Danganronpa's fast pace and tense atmosphere to a T.

Burden of the Son (Final Fantasy XIV) - A boss battle theme inspired by old-school sentai music, which makes sense when you realize that the boss itself is inspired by old-school sentai. Cheesy, catchy, and heavy on the brass - what's not to like?

The Last Time Travel (Professor Layton & the Unwound Future) - I'm not crying, you're crying! I'm just... peeling onions. For my dinner. That I'm having. Tonight. Shut up!

The Little Bonus Room (Skullmonkeys) - Just... listen to it. You'll see why.

I love a lot of the music in the Super Mario franchise, but some here are some more honorable mentions:
Super Mario Bros. Main Theme
Super Mario Bros. 2 Underground Theme
Super Mario Bros. 3 Main Theme
Super Mario 64: Bob-omb Battlefield/Main Theme
Super Mario 64: Bowser in the Dark World
Super Mario 64: Bowser's Road
Mario Kart 64: Bowser's Castle
Mario Kart 64: Rainbow Road
Paper Mario 64: Tubba Blubba's Theme
Paper Mario 64: Shy Guy's Toybox
Paper Mario 64: General Guy's Theme
Super Mario Sunshine: Boss Battle
Super Mario Sunshine: Ricco Harbor
Super Mario Sunshine: Noki Bay (Loved the music, hated the stage.)
New Super Mario Bros. Main Theme
Nearly everything in Super Mario Galaxy
I could go on all day about the music in the Mario franchise.
The Legend of Zelda, Sonic and Billy Hatcher also have fantastic music in their games. I can't forget the beautiful music in the Super Smash Bros. series.

I´ll have to go for the entire Spyro the Dragon Trilogy OST, because it was composed by Stewart Copeland, the ex-drummer from The Police. All the songs are pretty catchy, and the games are amazing too!

Any and all Zelda games, with the exception of BoTW, had great soundtracks.
The original trilogy of Mass Effect games also had beautiful soundtracks.

All Nier and Nier Automata OST are amazing
Child of Light - Aurora's Theme
Tales of Vesperia - Serenade of the Morning Star
FFXV - Departure

Reviving this topic, as this is a subject I could spend a long time talking about.

For the sake of not having a ridiculously lengthy thread and overwhelming anyone, I will restrict myself to only a small amount of games per post on here, instead of posting every single track I like from every single game I like. For this post, I will just post a handful of my favorite tracks from Chrono Trigger, Cuphead, Dragon Ball Z: Legacy of Goku II, and Dragon Ball Z: Buu's Fury.

First up, a rather calming and peaceful track from the "central hub" that is introduced a decent amount of time into the game.

This battle theme is not the regular one that you might be used to; rather, it is an unused battle theme that was presumably meant to be used for the second half of the game, and it is a shame it was not implemented.

A classic boss theme, integrating the creepy castle theme and setting the tone perfectly. It sounds like a final boss theme, and you would be forgiven for thinking this was the case.

There is no way that I could share a list of the best Chrono Trigger music without sharing the main theme. Every time I hear this, I get hit with a wave of nostalgia!

Unfortunately, I cannot say that this is the best castle theme in video games, as there are a number of themes from the Final Fantasy games that have it beat, but it is still pretty great!

Hearing this theme when I left my hometown for the first time was a magical experience. Upon hearing it, I instantly knew that I would love this game.

And of course, there is the epic final battle theme! Be warned: there are a couple of earsplitting shrieks at the beginning and the part where it loops back to the beginning (1:40).

Starting with the theme for what is likely the first boss battle of the game, the Root Pack! This track immediately establishes the gloriousness of the soundtrack, and it pulls it off with aplomb.

The best parts of this theme can be easily missed, as this only plays in the small "gates" between worlds. What a great theme for the final boss's right-hand man!

One of my favorites. This whole theme is pure gold. That piano!

My absolute favorite! It is such a great theme that is also wholly unique and different from the rest of the soundtrack.

Another one of my personal favorites, and one really hypes you up for the ensuing boss fight!

Just a great boss theme, featuring tap dancing at its finest.

Finally, a great overworked theme for the final world in the game!

This awesome theme immediately lets you know that this soundtrack is going to be great as soon as it pops up in the prologue.

A fantastic theme for the first area in the game proper. I could listen to this for hours.

You spend quite a lot of time in West City, so I am glad that the theme is so freaking catchy! I didn't even mind the endless series of side quests with this playing.

My favorite theme in the game. It's just so good!

Another great area theme that you will hear quite a lot of in the game. I just love the overall feel and tone of this track.

Finally, here's a great boss battle theme with a great buildup!

This plays in the mountain area where you go to acquire the final Dragon Ball. Fantastic theme!

Seriously, this is the theme that plays during the main menu?! What a way to let you know you're in for a fantastic ride of a game.

This is just a really good, really atmospheric track that I love.

A really great track! You can practically feel the tension at this part.

It would be remiss of me to exclude this awesome track, so here's the desert/pyramid theme!

Finally, here's a pulse-pounding, truly awesome boss battle theme! I always try to time my punches with the beat of the music, and it feels so satisfying.

So, there's roughly seven tracks each for these four games! These are all favorites of mine that I have replayed recently and thoroughly enjoyed, and I would wholeheartedly recommend them to anyone! :)

Last edited:

The Alright Attorney

Previously AlrightAttorney
Being on mobile, I won't post any links at the moment because it's a lot of work, and I'm pretty damn tired at the moment. Might borrow my brother's laptop later and revise this post with examples. Anyways, I'll get right into it.

Persona 5 already had my favorite soundtrack of all time, but Persona 5 Royal added even more to an already perfect package. This game exudes style and the music matches that in every aspect. The games cool, bold style is paired with all type of music that all stem from this cool jazz and soft cool rock. These might be the best battle and boss themes in any video game. Rivers in the Desert, Out Beginning, and Take of your Mask perfectly convey the emotions the cast, and you as a player are feeling in the moment. Each Palace them perfectly conveys their owner's goals and personality. Pure evil villians having brash, in your face themes, while the more somber owners have toned down, relaxed themes. The every day music never fails to help you relax in your normal school day life. Beneath the Mask may just be the smoothest damn song I ever heard in my life.

Bolero

Previously Boleroofnoodles
The whole Hollow Knight OST.
Earthbound//Mother- 1. Snowman, 2.Pollyanna, 3. Eight Melodies.
All Pokémon Champions themes.
mEgAlOvaNiA DEFAULT Dance.

D

Deleted member 284192

I love Mother 3's soundtrack. The Super Mario Galaxy games both have some amazing music. I listen to some Mario Kart jams from time to time. The Donkey Kong Country games have an amazing soundtrack which I don't feel is talked about enough (maybe I'm wrong). I've always got time to listen to some Smash Bros. music. This might be an odd one but Legend of Zelda: Breathe of the Wild? Under the right mood, I like to give that game's music a listen. I also gotta throw some Undertale music in there as well as some Shovel Knight. Oh yeah and why drop in some Wii Sports while I'm at it? Those games have some great tunes.

Here is my super-elite list, music that altered my view of a particular game, or games' soundtracks as a whole.
-Anville Town from Pokemon Black/White
-Halo 1's menu theme
-Gusty Garden Galaxy from Super Mario Galaxy
-The Grand Finale from Mario & Luigi: Bowser's Inside Story
-Run Away, Fugitives from Pokemon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team -Goku Black's Theme from Dragon Ball FighterZ
-Cell's Theme from Dragon Ball FighterZ
-Fate of The Unknown from Kingdom Hearts 2.5
-Collective Consciousness from Metal Gear Rising
-Infinite's Theme from Sonic Forces
-PERJURY from Danganronpa V3
-Turnabout Sisters 2001 from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney -Mood Matrix: Commence the Psychological Analysis! from Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney: Dual Destinies/Spirit of Justice
-Bayonetta 2: Time for The Climax!

Hm, here's a list of some of my personal favorites from my two favorite games:
(Each track's text has a link to a YouTube upload for that particular track, for convenience.)