• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Movie 10 - General info, Thoughts, and Speculation (Spoilers)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
About time someone started this topic. Anyways, by some random chance someone who's actually interested in the movie hasn't seen the official site yet...

http://www.pokemon-movie.jp/

So far we have two posters for it (points to attachment images).

Movie basics:
- Comes out July 14th, '07 in Japan
- Current title is Dialga Vs Palkia
- A new Pokemon star for it is going to be revealed by Coro Coro on Feb. 15th

It sounds like it's going to be another epic one, as well as attempt to focus around many different characters and their Pokemon... or something like that. Right now, I'm just curious to see how the plot will unfold surrounding Dialga and Palkia. It could either be very extensive and well done, with lots of background history, or could just feel like a cop-out (ie. the way Rayquaza was handled in Movie 7). I'm sure it'll be done fine, but you never know with those writers... The Groudon vs Kyogre segment in the Anime was handled fairly poorly.

Are people getting excited about this one, or more so just wary? Pokemon movies seem hit and miss, but I'll hold out for now that 10 will be another hit.

Thoughts?

[attachment deleted by admin]

If Dialga and Palkia are handled entirely in CG as they were in the trailer, I'm afraid I won't be able to feel the intensity as well as I could if it were more traditional. Otherwise, I'm looking forward to it as much as every other movie!

If Dialga and Palkia are handled entirely in CG as they were in the trailer, I'm afraid I won't be able to feel the intensity as well as I could if it were more traditional.

Ugh, yes, I know what you mean. Some perfectly good anime suddenly goes and destroys itself with CG parts put in. Like the FMA movie, where the army of possessed-armored-German-peoples is suddenly done in CG. It just...looks so awkward. X_X

And I totally agree with the movies being hit-and-miss. However, they have a chance to make something GOOD with their battle (kind of like the first movie, but BETTER), so it's not like something that is doomed from the start.

On the other hand, it can't exactly get too epic, otherwise it might not fit the target audience. But whatever, I'm keeping my hopes kinda-sorta up. ^_^;;

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
They've been using CG in the movies to get around the limitations of 2D art since the Third.

I really don't get why people complain about it so much, it makes things possible that weren't possible by just drawing - which makes for interesting direction and cool scenes, it's win-win.

The only time it looked bad was the ocean scene at the start of the 9th movie.

I'm all for CG art, but if it's being used for POKÉMON, then it should be covered up by a more anime-consistent look. There have been a lot of Pokémon done by CG in the movies, but they've been either shaded or painted overtop to blend in with the rest of the hand-drawn animation. Leaving Dialga and Palkia as obvious CG creations makes it seem as if they aren't even Pokémon, and instead more like large machines (like the enormous flying contraption in 2000 or the defense mechanism in Heroes).

Last edited by a moderator:

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
As it would be way, way, way more massively expensive to do an entire movie with Dialga/Palkia in CG as opposed to the cheap-as-chips digital anime method they generally use - not to mention a lot more time consuming - I'd say it's say to safe Dialga/Palkia will not be 100% CGI in the 10th movie.

To be purely honest, the teaser for the 10th Movie is more than likely something they've thrown together at the same time as those D/P ads featuring the same models. Who knows, we may never even SEE Dialga/Palkia in CGI in the movie at all.

Just thought of something: the movie's full title is now confirmed to be Dialga vs. Palkia vs. Darkrai. Is it possible that the "third" version to Diamond & Pearl will feature Darkrai on the cover? Onyx Version and Obsidian Version have nice rings to them (but lack the similarity to the mascot's name that Diamond & Pearl share).

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
I dunno, i'd find it hard to imagine an unobtainable being the leading Pokemon for a game. They more than likely will just go with Giratina, assuming they don't do a Crystal and just randomly pick one of the Legendaries to center the story around (which would work pretty well, I guess, considering that like Gen II, there isn't really a clear third counterpart to the titular Legendaries).

Also, we probably wont see the third version for another couple of years, so this movie isn't likely to have any impact on it.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
I just hope the third game won't be based on Crescelia. o_o

So, the Lord of Time dukes it out with The Lord of Space in the usual manner, and... Darkrai, the Bastard Child of Shuppet and Misdreavus who got a red bear-trap closed on his throat Lord of Nightmares, is involved somehow. Hm.

That's one I'm definitely looking forward to see. UNLIKE the Manaphy movie. X_x

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
The Manaphy movie is pretty much a remake of both the 4th and 6th movies, but it's probably the better of the three.

But I think Manaphy's hella-cute, so maybe i'm a bit biased.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heheh... The picture of Darkry with legs is both interesting and rather creepy. As Oak put it, it just screams "X-Files!" XD

Anyone but me thinks that Team Galactic will be in this movie? They can be what pushes Dialga and Palkia into fighting each other.

Anything is possible now that Darkry has been thrown into the mix. I don't know the plot of DP that clearly nor intend to until I actually play the games for myself, but Palkia and Dialga were never meant to battle it out like Groudon and Kyogre, were they? Then with Darkry now... The world is doomed XD ... or would be, except that we have Satoshi-the-Wonder-Boy and his god-moding rodent on the job!

I'm really looking forward to this one, unlike the 9th which I more watched and will in the end buy just because I watch/buy all of the movies. I just hope the 10th doesn't end up as predictable as some people think it will.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
FINALLY.

Bumping this topic to post a picture I'm sure most of you have already seen. Includes team spoilers for Ash and Brock as of the 10th movie, so flee now if you don't want to see 'em.

Hmm... Seems there's something wrong with the attachment function at the moment. Either way, you can view the picture via Bulbanews' article here.

Brock's new capture isn't all that exciting, but the other one sure makes me happy (even if it I foresaw it happening) =)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Who says he won't? It could still happen later on in the series :p

A few people saw Happiny as inevitable for Brock... I admit that I wasn't one of them, though. I'd much rather see him go back to his rocky-roots, but after Croagunk's catch, and now Happiny, it's clear that Brock's next Pokemon could be just about anything... hopefully, not another baby @_@ (Unless it was Riolu. I'd be happy with that :p)

Judging by that trailer, I'm guessing that Team Galactic won't be in this movie. ARSEUS'S CROSS! I can't believe the fact that the Team Aqua/Team Magma sub-plot during Hoenn got messed up is preventing Team Galactic from appearing!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Okay... From the looks of the 10th movie website, Buizel isn't Ash's at all. It's... Hikari's =O

I oddly enough had considered that possibility, but still... Why Hikari and not Ash? It was the perfect Water-type for him =/

Edit: New posterness! Nifty looking thing it tis ^__^

Yes! It may not be Ash's! I personally couldn't be happier, even though Hikari now has 2 water types.
Still this allows Ash's team to be a lil more diverse, hmm

Also I like the idea of Happini being Brock's, it just works as he is a pokémon breeder...

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Still this allows Ash's team to be a lil more diverse, hmm

That's the only positive I see to it myself, and that's only if he doesn't get a Water-type at all. As much as I loved Totodile, I don't want to see it return - at least not permanently - and there aren't a lot of other Water-types I actually like or would care to see used (I love Vaporeon, but I say NO to another Eevee in the main team).

I'm just glad someone in the main crew is getting Buizel. I dunno about you, but I love that thing =O

It looks really good...but bizul can be ash's *points to the poster* that turtle thing *keeps forgeting his name* is near brock..so its possible..

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Turtwig is confirmed to be Ash's. As for Buizel, apparantly, according to the movie's website it belongs to Dawn. However, the anime has yet to show either Dawn OR Ash catching a Buizel - which'll probably happen before the movie's release in Japan. Only then we'll know.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
It was confirmed in the latest piece of movie promo art that Buizel will be Hikari/Dawn's.

Indeed... And I swear, if people bring the bitchfest about it at other forums here, I start banning people :)

Buizel is Dawn's. Accept it. Deal with it.

NO BITCHING >=O

Anyways, some pictures to consider.

Keep in mind that Ash riding a Pidgeot doesn't necessarily = Ash's Pidgeot. This wouldn't be the first time that we'd seen him riding some random Pidgeot, and it probably won't be the last. That said, I hope by some twist of contrived plot devices that it is his... I can't take much more of these teases x.x

The group shot pics are just that - group shots.

The other two pics amuse me, especially the Pikachu vs Torterra thing... The image title for it says all. There was another Infernape shot that I love - its the way its holding its arms open - but alas, 6 attachment pics per post ;)

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Pidgeots are FTW. Even if this one isn't Ash's, it's lovely to see a Pidgeot in the anime again. I missed these thingies. ;_;

Also, now I want to murder that Pikachu even more than I usually do. WTF?! A PIKACHU, BY ALL LAWS OF POKéMON BIOLOGY, SHOULD NOT BE ABLE TO PWN A TORTERRA. NO. JUST NO. x_X

... Godmoding yellow bastard.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Typical Pikachu, I say. Seeing it knock over Torterra just made me laugh at the sadness of it all XD

Poor Mukubird was ignored in my pics. If you look at the top, left corner of the second group shot pic, though... yeah. That little speck is it ^_~

Anyways, thanks to Stel, I can post my other four pics. Just more shots of the gen 4, stage 3 starters.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
Torterra still pwns souls.

And honestly, Pikachu looks like it's bitchslapping it with an iron tail. :p

... Shouldn't really do much damage to a Torterra with that sort of defenses and HP. Well, the anime ignores stats, but still.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Heh... Each new trailer released for this movie just makes me want to see it more. Also...

Sarah Brightman meets Pokemon.

I can't be the only one who thinks that utterly rules. Even if you hated her music, having someone that big name doing the main theme is just cool =)

Ash's Pigeot may return because Dialga has time control, which may make Ash remember or never release his Pigeot. Just a theory. Probably not right, but it does kinda make sense.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I personally don't need to see it return for good, nor believe it would happen since the movies - aside from what stage of the game the characters are currently at - tend to take place outside of the Anime plotlines. Usually whatever happens within the movies stays within the movies. I do, however, really want to see this Pidgeot be Ash's Pidgeot. If, maybe down the line, it meant we'd see cameos from it again that's be awesome, but for now the only birdie he needs permanently is his current Sinnoh one.