• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Move set needed!

I need a move set for my level 100 Salamence, and I have no idea which moves to have in my move set. He knows:

Pokemon Salamence @ Hold Item None
Nature Hardy
Ability Intimidate
EVs Max Hp and everything else

- Move 1 Dragon pulse
- Move 2 Fly
- Move 3 Rock smash
- Move 4 Dig

I think he needed a change of moves since I got him in a trade with a buddy of mine. He was only level 89! So, can anyone please tell me a great move set? Thanks,
Charizard101

Last edited by a moderator:
The level of help you're going to get depends on if you want this competitive or not. Also, you can't have max EVs in everything. A poke can only have 510 EVs, with a a max of 255 per stat. So, he can only have 2 stats maxed out. I'll give some advice based on competitive battling:

Salamence@Yache Berry/Life Orb/Persim Berry/Anything else that works here
Hasty
252 Spe, 212 Atk, 40 SpA
-Outrage/Dragon Claw
-Earthquake
-Fire Blast
-Dragon Dance

This set murders almost everything. Get a dragon dance or two off, and you'll just see the enemy crumbling before you. For STAB, pick Outrage or Dragon Claw, depending on how you feel about Outrage locking you in for a few turns plus the confusion afterwards. Earthquake is pretty much a staple on the majority of things that learn it, and Fire Blast helps to knock down physically defensive pokemon that also resist STAB/EQ(like Scizor, Skarmory, etc). For items, Yache Berry helps you survive an Ice attack so you can successfully pull of a Dragon Dance, then retaliate(you better hope they don't have Ice Shard or other priority, though). Life Orb is for added power, if you feel you can't get off a Dragon Dance. You can use a Persim Berry to negate the confusion caused by Outrage, but it only works once, so keep that in mind.

Fly and Rock Smash HAVE TO GO. The only HMs worth using are Waterfall and Surf. Fly's two turn thing isn't helpful, as the opponent can switch to something that can take the hit or stat up. Rock Smash has terrbile damage output, even with a monster like Salamence. Dig isn't an option because, like Fly, it takes two turns, and Earthquake dents things a lot more. Dragon Pulse, while having STAB and playing off of 'mence's decent Special Attack, pales in comparison to Outrage and Dragon Claw, which get STAB as well while also coming off of his tremendously stronger Attack. You could be bold and make it a Special Attacking 'mence, but it won't kill things nearly as quick, plus, it doesn't get powered up even further by Dragon Dance.

As for ingame, nearly anything works, but you'd be best just overpowering your opponents, or competitively crushing them >=3

Salamence has a lot of options for it, but this is a set that I like. Hope this helps ^^

@Shocari: You should not forget that he already has his Salamence, so learning Dragon Dance will not work...

@Charizard101: If you want to use Salamence in Competetive (I'm never sure how to spell this word...) Play, you should breed a new one, using a male Gyarados knowing Dragon Dance and a female Salamence (or one of its pre-evolutions). Anything else abot that, see Shocari's post.
An other problem is that you are not able to change its EVs any more, so you only will have a medicore Speed, Attack, and Special Attack stat.

Ingame, like the first stages of Duel Tower, it will work as you have it, and there you also could keep Fly because od STAB (I always wanted "Salami" to learn Brave bird), but then Rock Smash and Dig should be replaced by Earthquake, Dragon Claw, Fire Blast/Flamethrower or maybe Brick Break.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Naturematthe said:
An other problem is that you are not able to change its EVs any more, so you only will have a medicore Speed, Attack, and Special Attack stat.

Not true. There are the EV reducing berries. One berry and it drops the EV total to 100 (assuming it was over 100), then every berry after that drops the total by 10. So 11 berries in each stat and you'll know for sure that your EVs are all reset at 0.

Although, I'd agree that in this particular case rebreeding is the better option, both for nature and moves. But if Charizard101 really did not want to, then he could fix his EVs without rebreeding.

Sir Red said:
Naturematthe said:

Not true. There are the EV reducing berries. One berry and it drops the EV total to 100 (assuming it was over 100), then every berry after that drops the total by 10. So 11 berries in each stat and you'll know for sure that your EVs are all reset at 0.

Okay, that's right, but then he only could raise the EVs to 100 each while using Carbon and the other ones.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Naturematthe said:
Sir Red said:
Naturematthe said:

Okay, that's right, but then he only could raise the EVs to 100 each while using Carbon and the other ones.

Um...yeah...but that's rather pointless... :T Having all of your EVs at 100 is a huge waste of EVs (plus, you can only raise five of the stats to 100 through using Vitamins). That's what EV training is for. :p

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Note that this thread is for competitive play only, and since this Salamence has a trash Nature I'd recommend a re-breed anyway, so getting Dragon Dance along the way should be a given depending on the set.

On that note, one point that no-one has made regarding Salamence, a point that is easily its most potent trait, is the dragon's versatility. You can't know what Salamence set you're facing right away due to the number of viable movesets Salamence has, combined with all the different variations of those sets. So, without further ado, lets begin:

Salamence @ Life Orb/Yache Berry
Hasty/Naive
252 Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

- Outrage/Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast/Dragon Claw
- Dragon Dance

Dragon Dancer set, and no, Salamence does NOT need Sp.Attack training whatsoever since boosted STAB Outrage is near-impossible to wall anyway. Simple "stat up and sweep" although it can pay to hide Dragon Dance from your opponent at first to disguise your Salamence set as being this one instead:

Salamence @ Life Orb/Expert Belt
Hasty/Naive
200-252 Attack, 6-52 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed

- Outrage/Dragon Claw
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast
- Draco Meteor/Hydro Pump

The wall-breaking, stall-breaking mixed Salamence, and a major contributor to the Dragon Dancer's success since this Salamence cannot be brought down in the same manner as the Dragon Dancer. STAB Draco Meteor is monstrous regardless of how much training you put in, although a little can go a long way in making you harder to wall potentially, which is the main aim of this set - breaking walls. A little guesswork goes a long way with this one, and good predictions can earn this Salamence its kills very quickly and very easily.

Salamence @ Choice Specs
Timid
252 Sp.Attack, 252 Speed, 6 HP

- Draco Meteor
- Fire Blast/Flamethrower
- Hydro Pump
- Dragon Pulse

Finally, a special Salamence. Specs Draco Meteor off this thing is brutal, with only the likes of Blissey and Regice able to take a netural hit from it and shrug it off with plenty of HP to spare. Fire Blast/Flamethrower is for Steel-types and Hydro Pump crushes the only Pokemon to resist both Dragon and Fire: Heatran. Not quite up there with the other two sets, but it's very unpredictable and can easily catch someone off-guard to steal a surprise KO that could very well win you a match. Dragon Pulse is there as a filler since Salamence gets nothing else of use to put there really, and it gives a very nice STAB attack to utilize against already-damaged opponents, allowing you to preserve your Sp.Attack stat (since Draco Meteor drops your Sp.Attack whenever you use it) and also preserve Draco Meteor's PP, since you don't want to be using up all 5 PP on foes that could have been disposed of with something weaker.

Read this topic for further information:

http://www.pokecharms.com/forums/http:/ ... ic.php?t=7

...and everyone else (except Sho) kindly quit your foolish jibber-jabber in my boards so Charizard101 can get the helpful advice he deserves. Thank you.