• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mother

If you don't know what I mean, Earthbound might remind you.
This is personally my favourite video game series ever.
I played Earthbound first and then Mother 3.
Got way too used to the sequels, so I got bored of Mother when I tried it out.

So, am I the only one that likes these games here?

Sleeper said:
I adore Mother.
Soundtrack to die for.
Not just the soundtrack, but its story as well.
I have to admit, Mother 3 made me feel pretty upset at times, and I felt sad after finish Earthbound, because it was way too good to just end like that.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
After playing about half of Mother 3, I'll say that I'm a huge fan of EarthBound with mild interest in the Mother series as a whole.

EarthBound is an excellent game and still one of my favourite RPGs to date (and lordy do I wish they had released it on North America's Virtual Console), but I found that Mother 3 lacked in towns/cities to visit, its rhythm battle system felt gimmicky, and the various times you were forced to backtrack were a tad boring. I've been told that the ending of Mother 3 is better than EarthBound's, but what I've played of it didn't quite stack up. That said, if it was ever officially released in English I'd likely buy it day one.

And yes, the music of the Mother series is awesome.

Tried to finish or actually play Earthbound a couple of times now but the menu interface, combat and actually the visuals turned me off every time so far.

The setting and the story is intersting but the already mentioned points are very off-putting.

Might give it a chance in the near future as I'm currently playing FF5 to get my 16bit fix.
And I dont want to play Mother 3 before playing and finishing Earthbound.
And I dont want to play Mother 1 at all I think.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Just so you know Fuman, playing Mother 3 won't really spoil Earthbound that much since the games are about a couple hundred years apart at least.

Played and beat Earthbound a while back, it's definitely unique and fun but as Fuman said, compared to the SNES FF games it looks a bit dated and unpolished. For me, Earthbound did more than enough interesting stuff to get by that problem, and it's definitely one of my favourite RPG experiences so far.

King of Lucario said:
Just so you know Fuman, playing Mother 3 won't really spoil Earthbound that much since the games are about a couple hundred years apart at least.
Its not that. Well except for some references I could miss out on.
I expect more refined mechanics in the sequel and going back to something that is simply worse because its older isnt the best thing in most cases.

And I generally like to play games in the right order.
Its on my backlog.
All I need now is a way to run the game at 300% speed on my PSP.

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Earthbound is without a doubt one of my all-time favorite games. RPG is my favorite game category and the SNES was arguably the greatest console for the RPG. Plus I'm a sucker for 16-bit graphics and you have the makings of a winning combination on your hands.

Add in the fact that Earthbound has some of the greatest music in any game, before or after it, that I've ever played plus an engaging and terrific story and there is little not to love.

Admittedly looking back upon it the graphical aspects are far from great, but the good parts more than make up for it. Plus I prefer the turn-based menu style of RPGs, personally.

I began Mother 3, with the fantastic English patch, a while back but got sidetracked from it. Now it is slapped amongst the massive back catalog of games that I need to play at some point when I finally have time (who knows when that will be :x).

I keep meaning to play Earthbound again. I played it on a SNES emulator years ago but never finished it. I wish there was a [better-working] SNES emulator for my DS flashcart so I could play it when I'm out and about.

I also tried playing the translation of Mother 3 but I found it quirky but really strange and sad. I also got stuck a lot >.>;; heh heh. Still need to finish that.

I really wish Nintendo would release Earthbound on virtual console and I'm starting to suspect there's some weird conspiracy why they won't; it can't be a business issue since I'm sure all the fans will buy it, plus people who have only seen Ness in super smash bros and are curious about the game.