• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mother 1 - 3... on the DS?

http://www.nintendojo.com/infocus/view_item.php?1152979085

So yeah, the latest rumor flying around is that Mothers 1 through 3 are going to be released on the DS as a compilation cartridge. This would explain why NoA never released Mother 1+2 outside of Japan... and it'd give us M3 as well, which would be rockin'.

Normally, I wouldn't put too much stock in this, but the guy who broke the story of this rumor, Quarterman, also fairly accurately predicted EarthBound on the GBA in the form of M1+2. It's also been reported on Joystiq as well as Nintendojo, but all sources point back to EGM. Then, of course, the higher-ups at Starmen.net have been working on an Uberproject that they've been really secretive about... could it be related to this?

Oh man, I hope this is true. I hope I hope I hope. ;_;

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
TBA, that better be true or you're a dead man for posting fake info of that nature! :p

Seriously, that would totally rock. Although, having it exist would simply be one step. They'd still need to confirm it for a US release. Considering that some of the reasons why they haven't released M1+2 outside of Japan yet is related to EB's US sales and the content of the games, Ninty would still need convincing to actually translate it.

Or maybe they just WANTED us to believe it was due to the sales/content and really this was their plan all along... :X

The theory I'm working under is that they held off on releasing 1+2 for this. they never relased an official statement about why it hadn't been released.

And trust me, I wouldn't post this if I didn't think it had some chance of being true.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Yeah, I trust you... That's why I'll kill you if it's wrong. Getting my hopes up n' all ^^

J/k. But still... I hope hope hope it's true, too. I want those games so badly, probably more than 2/3 of my other "most anticipated" titles for end of '06/'07. Making us wait to play M1+2 was cruel and unsual torture :(

Mother 3 alone is at the top of my list. i want to play an English version so badly... it even tops Phoenix Wright 2. That should say something.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Oii.

With the things they actually do translate nowadays, it's a wonder why someone can't just do Mother 3. But sadly, I'm almost at the point now where I just don't expect it anymore. Which sucks, but a reality =/

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
The Mother series of games is a series of psychotic little RPGs that were released initially for the NES, SNES and GBA, respectively. Out of all three, Only Mother 2 got an 'international' release, retitled 'Earthbound'.

These games are unique in the field of RPGs, in the sense that they take place in a Modern Earth-like setting, rather than a fantasy or science-fiction (Except, perhaps, for Mother 3, which takes place several years after Earthbound and is a touch more sci-fi-ish than the rest). These games, however, really don't take themselves seriously - with enemies ranging from hybrid chimerae to scalding cups of coffee and 'mystical records' (to say nothing of the New Age Retro Hippie!), some strange choice of weaponry (Baseball bats, Yo-Yos and Frying Pans, anyone?), uber trippy battle sequences and the list is still long...

Yup. Crying shame that only Mother 2 was released out of Japan...

While we're on the topic, the two soundtracks to Mother 3 - Mother 3i and Mother3 + - were both released on iTunes last week in the US. Kinda confusing, but I'm choosing to see it as hope.