• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Most Anticipated for Summer '06

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
In about four weeks, after my first paycheck, I'll finally be semi-unbroke again and able to afford game stuffness. But what to buy? While I do have quite a few PS2 games to play through, my DS/GBA/GCN collections are more or less beat dead. I need something new! :p

But I'm not going to ask for suggestions again, instead ask what the titles everyone's looking forward to for June-August are (and September if you want to count it).

EDIT: If others, like me, aren't sure what some of the titles coming out this summer are, IGN has made up their own little Summer game review thingie. It doesn't have everything, and not everything they've reviewed looks worthwhile, but it'll give you a quick overview.

Once DS Lite is finally released in NA with a few more colors than just pearl white I'll be getting one, so that'll be a chunk out of my earnings. Other than that I will also have my eyes on...

DS:... Starfox Command? Is that really it for DS releases from now until Sept? o.O (or DS releases I actually want. I'm not sure if its worth getting Harvest Moon DS or buying a Cube one instead). Final Fantasy III and Pokemon Mystery Dungeon Blue are both September releases, though. Gotta get those.
GCN: Cube has nothing... NOTHING until October.
GBA: GBA doesn't look much better than Cube...
PS2: Ooo... Disgaea 2: Cursed Memories is hitting NA at the end of August. Considering I'm currently playing the first AND loving it ... ;D

And I don't own 360/PSP/etc. So, that seems to be all I can dig up. Anything notable I'm missing, or that may not be listed on IGN's release lists yet? ;)

This might be another summer of catching up on older titles verses buying new ones...

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
This summer is REALLY weak for games. Mostly because everyone in the industry is looking directly past it to the end of the year - where the PS3 and Wii will be launched.

The DS is currently going through a bit of a relaunch patch at the moment. With the DS Lite coming out in the West, Nintendo are more interested in getting it into people's hands and getting older games into the hands of those who never picked up the DS first time round.

The second wave of 360 titles are STILL waiting in the wings, and we're unlikely to really see too much until the PS3 launch. Though, key for the 360 is that it'll have major hit titles rivalling PS3 launch titles - which was a key part in M$'s strategy for launching a year early anyway.

So, critical analysis aside, what am I looking forward to this summer?

Not a hell of a lot, I must admit. For me the key titles do come afterwards - Mystery Dungeon, Diamond and Pearl, Sonic the Hedgehog, Zelda and all the Wii launch titles.

I probably will pick up New Super Mario Bros next month - Though it's hardly pant-wetting anticpation.

Aside from that, wants Star Fox DS and the Tekken game for the PSP. But zat's it.

Pretty poor summer all round really.

So...before September 21?

Star Fox Command, Mario Hoops 3 on 3, Final Fantasy III and Pokémon Mystery Dungeon: Blue Rescue Team.

Japan gets DK Bongo Blast and Super Paper Mario in that time period, too, but...I don't read Japanese. And I don't have a Japanese GameCube. So I'm pretty much stopped right there.

Last edited by a moderator:

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
With so many interesting titles being shown off at E3 I figured we'd at least get a few this summer. I guess I should be thankful that by the time Starfox Command is released I'll be back on highspeed and able to get the most out of it.

While they're not new releases, there are a few past titles I'm anticipating finally getting my hands on. Might not get them all this summer, but such titles are Advance Wars DS (I wanted to finish my GBA Advance Wars first), Lost Magic (which will probably be the first game I buy after my paycheck), and Tales of Legendia (even tho I have no idea if it's worth the $56+). My brother bought New Mario Bros. so I'm unsure whether I want to buy it myself or not. As fun as it was, it was way too short, and Super Mario World still felt better in most cases. But maybe that's just me =/