• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Monotype Cup 2014 - Battle Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
The most active person would be given the win.

Since Marethyu has contacted me saying he's ready to battle at any time, the win would go to him in this case.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
But what about Pokemon? Would it be a 6-0 win for Marethyu? If so then it would not be fair if Marethyu and someone else tied.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Round 3 matchups are now up. You have until July 28th to get these matches done.

One thing to note here: The only player who, as far as I can tell, is completely unable to qualify for knockouts at this stage is Shocari. That being said, under no circumstances will I accept players at the bottom of the tables losing their matches on purpose, as it's unfair to everyone else in the group to give one player a free ride to knockouts. As such, I will require replays from all bottom-of-the-table players for their matchups to enforce this rule. If I do suspect any player has thrown a match on purpose, the match decision will be reversed.

Have at it.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
And with that, Dway and Luckii officially advance to the knockout stages.

Congratulations to both of you.

Just a question for @KoL, will the participants of the knockout round matches be determined by rank (e.g. 1st seed from Group B plays 2nd seed from Group C) or will it just be names drawn out of a hat?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'm not 100% sure about it yet if I'm honest, odds are I'll be using my RNG to pick out the matchups randomly and rerolling any matchup that puts two players in the same group against each other right off the bat.

I'm not 100% sure about it yet if I'm honest, odds are I'll be using my RNG to pick out the matchups randomly and rerolling any matchup that puts two players in the same group against each other right off the bat.
Why don't you use the method I suggested? It rewards participants for their excellent performances in the group stage by giving them a challenger of seemingly lesser quality.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Why don't you use the method I suggested? It rewards participants for their excellent performances in the group stage by giving them a challenger of seemingly lesser quality.

If that's the reason behind your idea, I'd much rather use the RNG.

If you're going to do an RNG, then what was the point of having rankings in the group stages? Surely there should be some impetus to top your group?

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
The group stage was to replicate the World Cup theme and nothing more. At the end of the day, you've given me all the reason I need to stick with the RNG if you think punishing a player for coming second in their group is a good idea, and that's the end of that.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
If you are going to replicate the World Cup then Luckii's idea would make sense. Since in the World cup the winner of Group A battles the runner up of Group B and so on.

While that is how the World Cup is run maybe have one side of the brackets be the first placers and the other the second placers then have the best of the firsts vs the best of the seconds, just to rule out the "disadvantage" for second placers. Just an idea if the World Cup format seems unfair to some people

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
I just wanted to point out that if KoL wanted the tournament to be like the World Cup then Luckii's idea should be used.

I just think that if you are going to implement a World Cup-style tournament type then you have to go through with the first-plays-second matchups in the next round because the whole idea of having a group stage with points and a points difference system is rendered null and void if you don't. It doesn't reward superior play.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
I think that are not really any advantages/disadvantages because the difference between first and second will ( probably ) be only by one win. Since we are not doing it we might as well change the name of the tournament -.-

Last edited:

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
I would say that @KoL's response is pretty final. We're not replicating the World Cup style exactly, and any comments regarding KoL's tournament organisation style should be put to him via personal conversation.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Luckii's idea is not being used, that is final.

I thought my post made that clear.

pokeman266

2015 Singles Champion
I have a question to Kol. How are you doing with replays? I'm just wondering if most people have given you their replay or not.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I've gotten quite a large number of replays, I think I've been given one for almost every single match that's taken place so far. Odds are I'll have to categorize them in some manner so that it's easier to sort through them for people wanting to watch the matches.

Just wondering something is there a mistake for Group A? Because through the comments it sounds like in the first 2 rounds Ekans won both yet it says he lost one. Also it says Rex won with no Pokemon.

Technically I did win, but I accidentally revealed a replay of our battle, so the match was given to Rex.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I didn't mention it purely because I didn't want to shame Ekans by making it public. I felt it was more courteous to him that way.

It's okay. It was a mistake on my part. I look forward to the rest of the tourney. Thank you for the courtesy, KoL.

Status
Not open for further replies.