• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

XY/ORAS Singles Mono-Fairy Team

The competitive environment is something really unexplored for me but I want to start off with a Mono Fairy Team. I've not actually started building this team yet so natures and EV trained stats are able to be changed.

Klefki @ Leftovers
Ability: Prankster
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SAtk
-Spikes
-Toxic
-Fairy Lock
-Draining Kiss

Azumarill @ Life Orb?
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 SDef, 4 HP
-Aqua Jet
-Play Rough
-Belly Drum
-Body Slam?

Togekiss @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 SDef, 4 Spd
-Air Slash
-Ancientpower
-Wish
-Dazzling Gleam

Whimsicott @ ?
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Def
-Taunt
-Leech Seed
-Encore
-Substitute

Granbull @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
-Outrage
-Crunch
-Play Rough
-Earthquake

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate/Huge Power
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Def, 4 SDef
-Crunch
-Play Rough
-Iron Head
-Power Up Punch

Ah what a coincidence, I am in the midst of setting up a mono-Fairy team as well.
Klefki @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
EVs: 252 HP, 252 Def, 4 SAtk
-Spikes
-Toxic
-Fairy Lock
-Draining Kiss
Stats seem fine to me. I would consider replacing Fairy lock. Since you will be setting up spikes you may prefer to actually want the opponent to switch out to start doing damage. Toxic locking can work as well but then the spikes feels a bit less useful. If you go for a toxic locking set up I would suggest Protect to replace the spikes. If you stick to spikes I would consider another status move in place of Fairy lock. Thunderwave and Swagger (depending on where you play this) would suit this quite well. Draining kiss is fine to stall with, no issues there.

Azumarill @ Life Orb?
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 SDef, 4 HP
-Aqua Jet
-Play Rough
-Belly Drum
-Body Slam?
To run a Belly Drum Azumarill I would consider dropping the life orb for Leftovers, it hits more then hard enough as it is. That way you can have Azumarill stick around longer after the drum. Consider swapping the EVs for more HP in place of Sp. Def after that. For your last moveset there is always Close Combat for stronger coverage.

Togekiss @ Choice Specs
Ability: Serene Grace
Modest Nature
EVs: 252 SAtk, 252 SDef, 4 Spd
-Air Slash
-Ancientpower
-Wish
-Dazzling Gleam
I would consider roost over wish but this can still work quite well. Ancient power though gimmicky has a nice 20% chance to increase stats with serene grace which should be fun. Consider using Thunder Wave in the dazzling gleam slot to abuse para flinching while you try to boost with Ancient Power.

Nasty plot can also work very nicely with a defensive Togekiss since special attack is the stat you want most.

Whimsicott @ ?
Calm Nature
EVs: 252 HP, 252 SDef, 4 Def
-Taunt
-Leech Seed
-Encore
-Substitute
Leftovers are always ideal for Whimsicott, particularly with Substitute. Lum Berry works as well particularly if you go up against other pranksters like Sableye. Rest of the abilities look fine to me. consider slapping on U-Turn perhaps to get away from fast taunters.

Granbull @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Spd, 4 Def
-Outrage
-Crunch
-Play Rough
-Earthquake
Ah Granbull my favorite manly Fairy. Stats work fine, Choice band is always an alternative for it to have a bit more bite. Elemental punches can work quite well to add to your coverage. Particularly Firepunch for the likes of Skarmory.

Mawile @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate/Huge Power
Adamant Nature
EVs: 252 Atk, 252 Def, 4 SDef
-Crunch
-Play Rough
-Iron Head
-Power Up Punch
Sucker punch will help you out more then Power Up punch really could. Rest looks pretty spot on to me.

Team overall: Looks pretty good to me, the one issue I have with it is that you have a few redundant roles on your pokemon. 3 physical sweepers seems a bit much considering. Mawile and Granbull in particular are very very similar in role, even sharing the intimidate factor.

Consider perhaps replacing one of them with a special sweeper? Gardevoir would fit the bill nicely here with its great special attack and good varied movepool. Sylveon would work as well depending on how you would build it.

Klefki doesn't really need to ToxiLock AND Spikes. Jeydis pretty much covered my thoughts on that, though.

Azumarill better be running Sitrus Berry with that Belly Drum set, as it boosts you back up to 75% health. Life Orb on top of Belly Drum means you are going to die so fast you won't even know you did.You might get lucky and get the shot of picking off a few 'mons in the process, but the Sitrus Berry recovery WILL save you. Note that Azumarill does not get Close Combat, but it does get Superpower, which does lower your attack each time you use it, but you can afford that after a Belly Drum. If that turns you off, Return is powerful with its massive 102 base power(provided you have full happiness, which you always should), while Bulldoze can provide decent Ground coverage(as well as a better hurt on Mega Mawile) with a speed drop that helps out your awful speed.

Togekiss should not be running any support moves if you're giving it a Choice item. Remember: you'll be locked into whatever move you pick when you're Choiced, and do you really want to be locked into a non-damaging move? Leftovers, Life Orb, and Expert Belt are great options here for your item. Roost provides instant recovery unlike Wish, while also removing your Flying type weaknesses for the turn. Paraflinch featuring Thunder Wave and Air Slash is standard faire on Togekiss, and it will mitigate your lack of speed with that build. Like Jeydis said, AncientPower is good with Serene Grace. Flamethrower gets you past Steel types like Ferrothorn, Scizor, and Skarmory(although Scizor can murder you with a Bullet Punch or two).

Whimsicott would be better served with Timid and 252 Speed EVs, becoming the fastest Taunter in the game. Jeydis pretty much covered everything, although Prankster Substitute already protects you against status from other Prankster users. Leftovers is definitely the preferred item here.

Granbull needs to drop Outrage. Being locked into a move that Fairies can ignore completely and Steel types can shrug off will pretty much mean the death of you. Ice Punch will better help you take down Dragons, as well as the likes of Gliscor and Landorus-T. Note that the elemental punches are transfer-only, so they'll need to be on in a Gen V game before you transfer. Close Combat is an option as well if you find yourself needed to hit hard and fast(and with a Choice item you're likely switching a lot anyway, so the defense drops won't be so bad). Life Orb and Expert Belt are once again good item choices to consider, especially because you can get a wide amount of coverage on this guy.

I prefer Ice Punch on my Mawile over Power-up Punch, as most things that are weak to Fighting(Ice and Rock, namely) are also weak to the Steel from Iron Head, although the attack boost is amazing with Huge Power. Swords Dance can be considered if you find yourself able to set up, making your attack absolutely massive. Sucker Punch lets you hit things that outspeed you, which is a lot of stuff, and you can run that over Crunch if you wish.

Overall, this team is fairly solid and only needs a few minor tweaks to become a wrecking ball of absolute destruction. Just mind your prediction, because you'll want to switch Klefki or Mawile in to take Poison and Steel attacks.

Ah okay, these seem like easy enough changes. Would Quick Feet Granbull with a Toxic Orb work well or would I be better off sticking with Choice Scarf Intimidate? Or would having a Special Attacker like Gardevoir or Florges work better in this slot? His is the only slot I'm worried about as I'd prefer to use Mawile over Gardevoir as a Mega

Both set ups work quite well for Granbull. Toxic orb does put you on a clock though so keep that in mind.

I still stick by my opinion that your team could really use the special attacker to keep threats on both sides of the spectrum.

Okay, looks like I'll have to do some practicing with each of the set ups for that spot to see which compliments the rest of the team the best

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
The two folks above me covered most advice I would give, so no point in repeating any of it, although I have a couple of possible suggestions for you:

Toxic stall Klefki is great on its own, but the two types immune to toxic also happen to the bane of most fairy pokemon - consider that you may be drawing out your biggest threats when using toxic on Klefki and you may be able to use it to your advantage to get rid of those threats with a surprise switch to, say, mawile to intimidate something and get a set-up. Although it's a common setup you may already be aware, I feel a need to point out Klefki's usefulness for setting up dual screens as well, especially with a Belly Drum on the team.

Second, I want to suggest an entire pokemon you might could fit in, especially if you do decide to try out the dual-screens.

Slurpuff @ Leftovers
Ability: Unburden
Naughty Nature
EVs: 4 HP, 252 Atk, 76 Sp. Atk, 176 Speed
-Play Rough
-Return
-Flamethrower
-Belly Drum

What Slurpuff lacks in coverage it makes up for with a combination of Unburden and Flamethrower. This set is a direct rip that I'd have to credit someone else for, but unfortunately I don't really know who to credit since it's been passed around the shadows for a while.
I do know the EVs will allow you to outspeed up to choice scarfed Rotom [base 86 speed] as well as being able to heavily damage many Steel typed threats. I can see Ferrothorn in particular giving your team some heavy trouble with an immunity to Toxic and Leech Seed as well as walling 75% of your direct attacking force.

As a final note, related to the above Ferrothorn, I feel a need to emphasize Sho's suggestion for flamethrower on Togekiss. I've always run Flamethrower on my own Togekiss purely to counter incoming Scizor and Aegislash, and it's almost never let me down.

Last edited:
I don't really use legendaries and I'd imagine if it has same stat spread as Mew then I'd guess the Mega may get competitively banned, especially if it gets a good ability

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
I don't really use legendaries and I'd imagine if it has same stat spread as Mew then I'd guess the Mega may get competitively banned, especially if it gets a good ability
Diancie's regular form already equals Mew in base stat total, so I can only imagine its mega will surpass it.
That aside, many megas already surprass mew's base stat total - they still have to deal with the a nearly complete sacrifice of held item to attain those stats. [nearly because it protects them from trick]

That's what I meant, the base form will have same stats as Mew so the Mega will surpass that. Megas add 100 to the base stat total so it's gonna be a Pokemon with a BST of 700 with likely no stat under 100 and it has a fairly good offensive typing. We still don't know the ability for it yet and it could be something scary like Serene Grace (or something really unlikely, Huge Power).