• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Missingno, The PC Black Hole and the Wild Mystery Mark...

Ladies and Gentle-ladies, from the title alone you should already know for what this topic is about. I apologues encase this topic has come up before, but never the less... It's fun to talk about. Glitches have appeared throughout all the generations and yet, Nintendo and GAME FREAK keep on adding them for are personal enjoyment. So talk glitches or even post guides on how they are caused!

Guides So Far:

Random-Hero's guide to the PC Black Hole:

If you have a copy of G/S, if it be Rom or a saint of a copy which has not corrupted then you may wish to test this out. After you reach the National park, you will come across a trainer who requests you take his Spearow to another man on Route 31... Aha, what if you have yet to get a Spearow!

Place Spearow inside a PC Box and perform the clone cheat. Once done, the box will become something of a "Black hole" killing all Pokémon put inside and allowing you to claim this alternative Missingno! Might I remind you, the black hole cannot be stopped so do this at your own risk!

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is one that everyone who has played Blue or Red should know. The Missingno and item duplication cheat.

Once you have gotten to Cinnabar Island. You fly up to Viridian City and talk to the man who teaches you how to catch Pokemon. Let him show you how to catch a Pokemon and then fly back to to Cinnabar. From their, you surf up and down on the coast of the East side of the Island (right next to the Gym). After a while, this should trigger Missingno to appear and fight you.

Alternativly, if you happen to have a stackable item on your sixth item slot (be it Rare Candies, Master Balls, anything with a "x#" next to it), that item will duplicate itself into over 100 copies. Thus the cheat is called "the Rare Candy Cheat" as that is the most used item for this glitch.

Be warned though: Catching Missingo can be hazardous to your game, with the possibility of making the game crash and forcing a restart of the game. Sometimes though, catching Missingno will result in it evolving into a Kangaskhan after leveling it up. Also, one encounter with Missingo will screw up the Hall of Fame option on your PC, resulting in many messed up screens on the PC.

As far as I know, this glitch was fixed in Yellow Version.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Missingno. has actually been proven to be relatively harmless to save files, with the only real damage inflicted by the thing being the Hall of Fame being permanently corrupted. Other glitch Pokemon similar in appearance and function to Missingno. such as the glitch Pokemon .4 are more dangerous however - .4 has been confirmed to be able to erase save files using one of its glitch attacks. Missingno. itself however is harmless, and can be used and messed around with pretty safely.

Also, although the item duplication glitch was removed from Pokemon Yellow, Missingno. can still be encountered using a different method, which brings me onto this glitch I messed with several months ago:

The Mew Glitch - Pokemon Yellow

This is exactly what it says it is - this glitch allows you to acquire Mew in Pokemon Yellow without the use of a Gameshark, Action Replay or any other cheating device, nor does it require downloading Mew from an event. The Mew itself, once caught, is perfectly normal, and operates exactly as a regular Mew would.

This earliest this glitch can be performed is just after the Nugget Bridge, on the route leading to Bill's house. Once you've beaten all the trainers on the Bridge as well as the Rocket Grunt, turn left to where you meet the boy who gives you Charmander. South of his location is a trainer who will help in performing the glitch. Save at this point. Another thing of note is that you'll need a Pokemon with Teleport or Fly in your party here - the easiest method for this is to trade for a Teleporting Pokemon or catch yourself an Abra. Now, walk down to where the trainer is, so that you're directly in line with where he is - the instant he appears on the screen, he will challenge you to a battle (Note that this glitch will not work if you've already beaten this guy.) Now, as soon as the trainer appears on-screen, IMMEDIATELY press Start. If you whiff the timing and he challenges you, reset to your last save point - this is why I told you to save earlier. If you timed it right, the menu will appear the moment he appears on-screen. Then, go to your Pokemon menu and select your Teleporting/Flying Pokemon, and use it to head back to the Pokemon Center in Cerulean City (or any city, doesn't really matter, although Cerulean is the closest to the next location you must go for the glitch.) The trainer who would have battled you will get the signature "!" mark over his head and approach the spot where you once were, but the battle will not take place since you're no longer there.

Now, go back to the Nugget Bridge and onto the route to Bill's house. Look for a trainer on the route who has a Slowpoke - it HAS to be this trainer, and if you've already beaten him then you can't do this glitch. Also, you must NOT battle anyone or anything else between Teleporting/Flying back to Cerulean and battling the Trainer with the Slowpoke, so if you get the wrong trainer or are attacked by a wild Pokemon, reset from your last save. Anyway, find the kid with the Slowpoke and beat him, then head back to the Nugget Bridge. You may have noticed that your Start Menu has been completely disabled since Teleporting - this is normal. On your way back to the Nugget Bridge, your Start Menu will suddenly reappear out of nowhere. Close the menu, and you'll immediately be attacked by a wild Mew, around lv.7 or 8. Catch it (it's pretty easy) and congratulations, you have a (somewhat legit) Mew!

Now, Missingno. comes into this due to how the glitch works - the Pokemon that appears when the menu pops up is determined by whatever the last Pokemon you battled was - in this case, the Slowpoke you battled caused Mew to appear. Battling a different Pokemon instead of the kid's Slowpoke will cause a different Pokemon to appear when the menu pops up, and sometimes this Pokemon will be Missingno. or some variant of it. A fiddly glitch to work, but the potential rewards are definitely worth it.

A few things of note:

- If you have beaten the trainer to the left of Nugget Bridge, this glitch CAN still be done - I lied a bit there. This part of the glitch can be done with any trainer who immediately spots you as soon as they appear on the screen. Another example is one of the Gamblers on the route to Celadon City.

- I don't know if this glitch can be performed repeatedly, or if it can be repeated to any real effect. Obviously getting two Mews here is not that easy since you can't battle the Slowpoke kid more than once, although you could mess with it to see what results you can get from it. Beware of .4 however, since it can appear with this glitch and can erase or permanently corrupt saved data if you aren't careful.

What is .4's glitch attack?

I for one tried to do the Gambler-Channeler glitch. Never could really make it work. I thought it worked when I saw what seemed like the ghost Missingno. I later realized it was just the regular un-silphed ghost. I've wanted to try again, but as soon as it attacked the game deleted itself. >:(

I feel that the most pointless Glitch to be proud of, would be the tree glitch. Even the guide alone behind doing it would be pointless! All you do is cut a tree in R/B/Y and then stand over where it once was. Save and then when you turn the cart back on, you will in-fact be standing on top of a tree...

w00t. ::)

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Here is one that everyone who has played Blue or Red should know. The Missingno and item duplication cheat.

Yep. This is pretty well the only glitch I've ever taken advantage of in any Pokemon game. I've never cloned, never tried for random legendaries, etc. The item duplication glitch was just so easy to do, and it worked nicely at the time.

Sometimes I wish that such a glitch still existed in the latest generation games. It'd save on needing an AR for haxed items... XD

[quote author=Sarge the Heavy link=topic=5969.msg97994#msg97994 date=1240610136]

Yep. This is pretty well the only glitch I've ever taken advantage of in any Pokemon game. I've never cloned, never tried for random legendaries, etc. The item duplication glitch was just so easy to do, and it worked nicely at the time.

Sometimes I wish that such a glitch still existed in the latest generation games. It'd save on needing an AR for haxed items... XD
[/quote]

Action Replay error cheats are the best!
Walk threw wall cheat, then hatch a egg in the black zone... What happens? Birth of the 4th Gen Missingo. :3

[quote author=Linkachu link=topic=5969.msg98393#msg98393 date=1240854883]
[quote author=Sarge the Heavy link=topic=5969.msg97994#msg97994 date=1240610136]

[/quote]

Walk threw wall cheat, then hatch a egg in the black zone... What happens? Birth of the 4th Gen Missingo. :3
[/quote]

Really? That's cool. I've never seen a Missingo before.

The only glitch I have ever performed is the famous cloning glitch on Emerald. That one has saved my life :)

I bet Nintendo is kicking themselves for not catching it.

[quote author=Random-Hero link=topic=5969.msg98415#msg98415 date=1240867291]
[quote author=Linkachu link=topic=5969.msg98393#msg98393 date=1240854883]

[/quote]

[/quote]

Really? That's cool. I've never seen a Missingo before.

The only glitch I have ever performed is the famous cloning glitch on Emerald. That one has saved my life :)

I bet Nintendo is kicking themselves for not catching it.
[/quote]

Cloning glitch? How does it work?

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I forgot how to work the cloning glitch in Emerald once. Or twice. Or many times. This is one of the times.

When I still had a working game system, I enjoyed playing with the cloning glitch to get mutiple rare candies and master balls just for teh luls. Then, after I hadn't played it for a while, I tried to clone my Adamant Swellow (my favorite and most prized Pokemon at the time with all of his ribbons and awesomeness and stuffs).

Ended up deleting him. As well as half of the rest of my team.

I learned my lesson from then. I would never play around with a glitch again. (My poor Nester! D= )

Missingo is nothing special... But it has had a few forms. The most known one is its Red/Blue baisc form, as its body is random pixels. Depending on your trainer name, it can also appear as Fossil Kabutops, Cubones Mothers Ghost and Fossil Aero...

Missingo can also be sent to Pokemon Stadium! OH NOES, I R HACKING 64!!!111 Well, you get the picture... Missingo is in all of us. :p

Pokemon Crystal- Item and pokemon Dupilication trick.
I've done this a few times with Rare candies.

Put the pokemon with the item you want to clone in the second slot of your party. Put that pokemon in an EMPTY pc box. Then, switch to a different EMPTY pc box. When it says: Saving... don't turn off the power, turn of the power and restart the game. The pokemon with the item you duplicated should be in the 2nd slot of your party and in the pc box.

Pokemon Crystal- Item and pokemon Dupilication trick.
I've done this a few times with Rare candies.

Put the pokemon with the item you want to clone in the second slot of your party. Put that pokemon in an EMPTY pc box. Then, switch to a different EMPTY pc box. When it says: Saving... don't turn off the power, turn of the power and restart the game. The pokemon with the item you duplicated should be in the 2nd slot of your party and in the pc box.

Do that with the Spearow your given and it becomes the Black hole cheat! :3

There's a Youtube video out there called Curse of The Bad Egg or something like that. Shows how much AR can contribute to glitches if you do it wrong. Black holes, invisible bad eggs, it's a sequal to somthing else. I forgot what it was. It's funny if you find it.

[quote author=Random-Hero link=topic=5969.msg98851#msg98851 date=1241226906]

There's a Youtube video out there called Curse of The Bad Egg or something like that. Shows how much AR can contribute to glitches if you do it wrong. Black holes, invisible bad eggs, it's a sequal to somthing else. I forgot what it was. It's funny if you find it.
[/quote]

Yes, DP has alot of Badguy moments!
But the Blackhole is the best part of the G/S/C...

Do it with a Rom and watch as all your Pokemon are slowly eatten by the black hole. :3

In addition to KoL's glitch, I know that on R/B(not sure about Yellow) there are a few select trainers you can use to obtain several different Pokemon.

Now, here's how it works: First, go to a person that will be Labeled Trainer 1, or T1. This will be the base of operations. This person should NEVER BE BATTLED BY YOU. Go to where T1 is, and save exactly one frame above them. Move down one frame and immediately press start. Fly away to a person labeled Trainer 2, or T2.

NOTE: no buttons will work at this time. Walk to T2 and battle them, which will allow the use of buttons after wards. Fly back to T1, and as you get close, the menu will pop up. Press B, and a wild pokemon will appear at Lv7. IMPORTANT: T2 CANNOT be T1, and T1 must remain the same during this cheat. You can change T1 after the pokemon appears.

T1 List: Gambler next to underground passage on Lavender Town side, Super nerd right next to him, Young Boy in the grass next to Nugget Bridge. There are more, but I forget.

T2 List: Just about anyone except for the person you used as T1.

List of obtainable Pokemon: Young Girl on F1 of Mt. Moon(next to Sign) yields a Gengar. Young girl on same floor near the top of the floor on the right gives a Gyarados(with powerful attacks), [there are others, but again, I forget which. Try battling many people and see what you get.]

My advice for using this effectively is: Start a new game, battle as few people as possible, meaning DON'T BATTLE ANYONE YOU DON'T HAVE TO UNTIL YOU GET 8 BADGES, AS THIS ALLOWS THE GREATEST AMOUNT OF VERSATILITY.

Missingno. has actually been proven to be relatively harmless to save files, with the only real damage inflicted by the thing being the Hall of Fame being permanently corrupted. Other glitch Pokemon similar in appearance and function to Missingno. such as the glitch Pokemon .4 are more dangerous however - .4 has been confirmed to be able to erase save files using one of its glitch attacks. Missingno. itself however is harmless, and can be used and messed around with pretty safely.

Also, although the item duplication glitch was removed from Pokemon Yellow, Missingno. can still be encountered using a different method, which brings me onto this glitch I messed with several months ago:

The Mew Glitch - Pokemon Yellow

This is exactly what it says it is - this glitch allows you to acquire Mew in Pokemon Yellow without the use of a Gameshark, Action Replay or any other cheating device, nor does it require downloading Mew from an event. The Mew itself, once caught, is perfectly normal, and operates exactly as a regular Mew would.

This earliest this glitch can be performed is just after the Nugget Bridge, on the route leading to Bill's house. Once you've beaten all the trainers on the Bridge as well as the Rocket Grunt, turn left to where you meet the boy who gives you Charmander. South of his location is a trainer who will help in performing the glitch. Save at this point. Another thing of note is that you'll need a Pokemon with Teleport or Fly in your party here - the easiest method for this is to trade for a Teleporting Pokemon or catch yourself an Abra. Now, walk down to where the trainer is, so that you're directly in line with where he is - the instant he appears on the screen, he will challenge you to a battle (Note that this glitch will not work if you've already beaten this guy.) Now, as soon as the trainer appears on-screen, IMMEDIATELY press Start. If you whiff the timing and he challenges you, reset to your last save point - this is why I told you to save earlier. If you timed it right, the menu will appear the moment he appears on-screen. Then, go to your Pokemon menu and select your Teleporting/Flying Pokemon, and use it to head back to the Pokemon Center in Cerulean City (or any city, doesn't really matter, although Cerulean is the closest to the next location you must go for the glitch.) The trainer who would have battled you will get the signature "!" mark over his head and approach the spot where you once were, but the battle will not take place since you're no longer there.

Now, go back to the Nugget Bridge and onto the route to Bill's house. Look for a trainer on the route who has a Slowpoke - it HAS to be this trainer, and if you've already beaten him then you can't do this glitch. Also, you must NOT battle anyone or anything else between Teleporting/Flying back to Cerulean and battling the Trainer with the Slowpoke, so if you get the wrong trainer or are attacked by a wild Pokemon, reset from your last save. Anyway, find the kid with the Slowpoke and beat him, then head back to the Nugget Bridge. You may have noticed that your Start Menu has been completely disabled since Teleporting - this is normal. On your way back to the Nugget Bridge, your Start Menu will suddenly reappear out of nowhere. Close the menu, and you'll immediately be attacked by a wild Mew, around lv.7 or 8. Catch it (it's pretty easy) and congratulations, you have a (somewhat legit) Mew!

Now, Missingno. comes into this due to how the glitch works - the Pokemon that appears when the menu pops up is determined by whatever the last Pokemon you battled was - in this case, the Slowpoke you battled caused Mew to appear. Battling a different Pokemon instead of the kid's Slowpoke will cause a different Pokemon to appear when the menu pops up, and sometimes this Pokemon will be Missingno. or some variant of it. A fiddly glitch to work, but the potential rewards are definitely worth it.

A few things of note:

- If you have beaten the trainer to the left of Nugget Bridge, this glitch CAN still be done - I lied a bit there. This part of the glitch can be done with any trainer who immediately spots you as soon as they appear on the screen. Another example is one of the Gamblers on the route to Celadon City.

- I don't know if this glitch can be performed repeatedly, or if it can be repeated to any real effect. Obviously getting two Mews here is not that easy since you can't battle the Slowpoke kid more than once, although you could mess with it to see what results you can get from it. Beware of .4 however, since it can appear with this glitch and can erase or permanently corrupt saved data if you aren't careful.

Some inaccurate information AFAIK. From what I know and have read/tried this glitch only works in Red and Blue and in Yellow caused the game to crash if you try it as it was taken out.