• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mew-two many coincidences

Sorry for the pun/fail in the title, but this information makes me think twice about it not meaning anything:
1) Mewtwo has received its signature move "Psycho Drive" in Generation V, why wait four years? Or, why introduce it now of all times?
2) The new card collections are "Hail Blizzard" (Kyurem) and "Psycho Drive" (Mewtwo) Kyurem is most likely the mascot for Grey, or whatever the third Gen V game will be called, so what significance does Mewtwo have?
3) Japan are receiving a Mewtwo via Wi-fi in an event for Japanese games. Why is this? Because of my next point:
4) Mewtwo will return in the anime soon. What role could Mewtwo play? This will be its first appearance since Mewtwo Returns from Johto, it probably won't be a small cameo or just one episode where Mewtwo appears and says hi to Ash, or whatever. I am almost certain that this means that Mewtwo will appear in a game or in another place than just the anime.

So, what are your thoughts? Do you think my theory is correct, or just a load of rubbish? Could this mean that there is a remake of Yellow? Let's discuss the matter.

Demelza

Eevee Tamer
Staff member
We just had Heartgold and Soulsilver which included Kanto so I doubt we'd have a remake of Yellow so soon.

Really I can see Grey being announced on Sunday and the Mewtwo event will unlock some sort of back story about it when traded from Black and White. At least this is how I want things to play out. xD

I agree with you about the Yellow remake, I was just throwing that out there. It could well be that Mewtwo unlocks something when traded into Grey. Good idea!

I'm not sure what to think, really. I strongly believe that we're going to get an RB or Yellow re-remake soon, because Kanto has been a part of the past 4 gens, and I know Nintendo tends to go with traditions.

However, I honestly think it would be odd for Mewtwo to be in Grey....just me, I guess.

But, you are right, the hints are piling up just with that one announcement. Something's gotta happen, that's for sure, though it'll more than likely just be an anime special or something, or its just a random giveaway like HGSS Jirachi was. We won't know until they announce something else.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Demelza said:
Really I can see Grey being announced on Sunday and the Mewtwo event will unlock some sort of back story about it when traded from Black and White. At least this is how I want things to play out. xD

That's actually very plausible. If this special Mewtwo doesn't unlock back story, it could very well unlock something else.

But then again, the event distribution Mewtwo may simply be a representation of the Anime special Mewtwo and nothing more. They've done it with Pokemon like Pikachu, so it wouldn't be a first.

But then again, the event distribution Mewtwo may simply be a representation of the Anime special Mewtwo and nothing more. They've done it with Pokemon like Pikachu, so it wouldn't be a first.

Yeah, I think that may be. Like pikachu, I think mewtwo is a representative pokemon, and also they may distribute it with no reason apparently like just to give something else. It can be useful in grey and that stuff, but also, it can be with no reason, because of HG/SS had kanto, too. And the card stuff doesn't really make sense, b ecause a lot of pokemon have an individual set, and they are not legendary at times.

Doubled said:
Kanto has been a part of the past 4 gens, and I know Nintendo tends to go with traditions.

Quite right, Kanto has been in the previous 4 gens. And you know what else has? Electric types beginning with the letter 'P'. Look:
Gen I - Pikachu
Gen II - Pichu
Gen III - Plusle
Gen IV - Pachirisu
Gen V - ...none :(

I'm not saying that they won't follow the tradition, but when it comes to Nintendo and traditions, it seems like they're letting go, or moving on and this might be the case for a remake with Kanto.

My next statement:
Linkachu said:

They have done things like that with Pikachu. But I think it is more than that. The Anime special Mewtwo must have some significance to the next game, or at least one of them. Maybe like the Shiny Legendary Beasts? (again, just throwing another idea out there) Pikachu's always in the Anime, whereas Mewtwo hasn't been in the Anime since its Johto-era film.

Now, for my last statement:
dafg 猫君 said:
And the card stuff doesn't really make sense, because a lot of pokemon have an individual set, and they are not legendary at times.

Many pokemon do have sets, and yes they are not always legendaries. BUT that wasn't my original point. It was the fact that Mewtwo has just been given a signature move this generation, there is a set coming out with Mewtwo as the head honchkrow AND Japan are receiving an event for Mewtwo because of its appearance in the Anime soon. Why do all this at the same time? This is my point.

jertyuiop said:
Why do all this at the same time? This is my point.

Well, mewtwo has been a pokemon important to, pokemon in general, maybe they want to remember it and that's all, because it's like when did mewtwo appeared in an anime last time? or have they given an event for mewtwo? and that stuff.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
dafg 猫君 said:
jertyuiop said:
Why do all this at the same time? This is my point.
Well, mewtwo has been a pokemon important to, pokemon in general, maybe they want to remember it and that's all

Agreed. Mewtwo isn't obtainable in Gen V yet beyond using the PokeTransfer, so that alone is reason enough to give it a Gen V event. As for why both the Anime special and distribution are happening at the same time... Why not? It's better advertisement that way.

I'm not saying that this Mewtwo isn't potentially something more, but if it's not I wouldn't be surprised.

Linkachu said:
Mewtwo isn't obtainable in Gen V yet beyond using the PokeTransfer, so that alone is reason enough to give it a Gen V event. As for why both the Anime special and distribution are happening at the same time... Why not? It's better advertisement that way.

I'm not saying that this Mewtwo isn't potentially something more, but if it's not I wouldn't be surprised.

1) Wobbufet.
2) It's not really the anime special and event, those two are linked anyway, I was talking about Mewtwo's signature move, the card set featuring Mewtwo being paired with the mascot-to-be for Grey as well as the distribution/anime special (which may or may not have significance in Grey).
3) That being said, I see where you're coming from. They might be doing all these things just to say Mewtwo's still there and hasn't been forgotten and its legacy will live on. My opinion still remains the same, but your opinions are your own ones.

Linkachu said:
As for why both the Anime special and distribution are happening at the same time... Why not? It's better advertisement that way.

Yeah, marketing techniques, give away something that /doesn't even/ cost money. Also mewtwo has lots of reasons to be something more, because /all/ legendary pokemon have, like kyogre and groudon appearing in HG/SS also.

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Here's another thought. What other man-made Legendary Pokemon exists in Gen V? Genesect. Sometimes a Mewtwo is just a Mewtwo. Other times, it may lead to unlocking the Genesect event in a future Pokemon game (Grey).

That's an excellent point, Psycho Monkey. Both were man-made. Perhaps in some future film, Genesect will have his/her issues assisted by Mewtwo. There is a parallel. I could see the cartridges for Genesect's signature move having been made by Mewtwo, then, in order to feel closer to normal Pokemon and all. I mean, Genesect is very technologically based, so the cartridges could download knowledge or something. Mewtwo cloned Pokemon to help him fit in some group, so this could be similar.

Psycho Monkey said:
Here's another thought. What other man-made Legendary Pokemon exists in Gen V? Genesect. Sometimes a Mewtwo is just a Mewtwo. Other times, it may lead to unlocking the Genesect event in a future Pokemon game (Grey).

Brilliant, Psycho. Now I wonder why I didn't see this before, Mewtwo unlocks Genesect. That could very well be the significance that I was looking for and maybe we'll see Mewtwo create Genesect in the anime if this is the case. Only problem with that is that I thought since Genesect is the last pokemon in the Unova (and currently National) Pokedex, it would be the last of the event legendaries to be shown in the anime, so before Keldeo and Meloetta. They could just show Genesect first if they wanted to, though. Maybe this is the first appearance of Mewtwo and he says he has a plan, but he appears later and Genesect is revealed as his creation, or something along those lines.

As I've already suggested, Mewtwo in his second movie disappeared to a place far away, and Unova is pretty far. So Unova would be a nice place for Mewtwo to settle down, until one out of three pesky twerps finds him again. Whether this also means we meet the clone army again, is yet to be seen.

I don't really like the suggestion about Genesect being related to this. Because the difference between them is that Mewtwo is a new being created from the DNA of another pokemon. Genesect is an existing prehistoric pokemon that was modified by Team Plasma. That's a big difference.

Though the event has been announced, and there has been no clues about him appearing in the anime for a few weeks, and it probably won't happen until October begins, so maybe it's just a present for those that have been unfortunate to not have yet gotten a Mewtwo from HG or SS (Me for example)