• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Methods of evolution.

I was just thinking about these new generation evolutions and a thought occoured to me. How will they evolve?

If you look at the two pre-evo's from Ru/Sa they had to breed whilst holding an item to make the baby pokemon. So can we expect a similar method to produce the Mr. Mime, Sudowoodo and Snorlax pre-evo's? It would seem weird otherwise, to have been breeding Snorlax's from Snorlax's for years to suddenly get a Munchlax.

But If you look at Sneasals evo it would seem we need a new evolution mechanic or a new item to trade it with. If I am Correct Ru/Sa had no brand new evo's, only pre-evo's.

Any thoughts??

Sneasel might just use a new item, but a trade will likely be needed, too. For the others, I imagine new hold items will be introduced that must be held when breeding.

It's interesting to note that in Gale of Darkness, where we start with an Eevee, we're later presented with the choice to evolve that Eevee by use of five different items: Water Stone, Thunderstone, Fire Stone, Sun Dust or Moon Dust. Do you think that Sun Dust and Moon Dust will be henceforth the way to obtain Espeon and Umbreon, and that the day/night-friendship thing will be totally done away with?

What is "Gale of Darkness"?

But I think the idea of sun and moon dust does have some merit and gets rid of the whole day/night issue. I do kind of wish however that day and night had stayed, it made the games alot deeper with all the different time based events.

Gale of Darkness is the next Pokemon GCN game (Pokemon XD: Gale of Darkness). It's a pseudo-sequel to Colosseum, as it takes place in Orre, but Wes is not in it (or so far, at least). You also Snag again. Gale of Darkness refers to a Shadow Lugia in the game.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I agree that Sneasel will probably be a hold item, and from the looks of its design (its "crown") I'd say it'd most likely be a King's Rock.

As for the babies... They could go either way. Chances are they'll be hold-item related, but don't forget about Johto. Aside from "friendship" and trade evolution the creators did nothing to uphold continuity in the series. Umbreon/Espeon prove that the most IMO. Do they really expect us to assume that people in Kanto were just too unlucky to get either Pokemon? Not to mention how enforced the idea of Eevee having "three different evolutions" was :p

About the Sun Dust and Moon Dust... I don't think they did that to get rid of Night and Day (afterall, even in R/S time-related events exist) . I think it was just so you only get one chance to evolve your Eevee, a chance that's equal for all of its evolutions. They probably didn't want you to have access to Umbreon/Espeon early, nor have to wait to get them later than any of its other evos. Just another example of how continuity in the Pokemon world can be screwed around with whenever the makers feel like it ;)

Linkachu said:
I agree that Sneasel will probably be a hold item, and from the looks of its design (its "crown") I'd say it'd most likely be a King's Rock.

As for the babies... They could go either way. Chances are they'll be hold-item related, but don't forget about Johto. Aside from "friendship" and trade evolution the creators did nothing to uphold continuity in the series. Umbreon/Espeon prove that the most IMO. Do they really expect us to assume that people in Kanto were just too unlucky to get either Pokemon? Not to mention how enforced the idea of Eevee having "three different evolutions" was :p

About the Sun Dust and Moon Dust... I don't think they did that to get rid of Night and Day (afterall, even in R/S time-related events exist) . I think it was just so you only get one chance to evolve your Eevee, a chance that's equal for all of its evolutions. They probably didn't want you to have access to Umbreon/Espeon early, nor have to wait to get them later than any of its other evos. Just another example of how continuity in the Pokemon world can be screwed around with whenever the makers feel like it ;)
yeah but i traded my seanel holding king's rock hmm maybe it'll be a new item

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator

We're talking about the New Generation of Pokemon. What would make you think Sneasel's evo would be available in this gen? :?

Shadow Phoenix, the quality of your posts has been continously low with no sign of improvement. This is your first warning. Try to put them effort into them or you're not going to last here very long.