• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Meganium Power!

Hey guys, it's Bennett here again, this time I've got my Meganium up for you guys to evaluate, you guys were really great last time, so I'm hoping you'll be just as helpful.

Meganium@Petaya Berry
Nature: Quirky
Ability: Overgrow
Moves: Giga Drain, Counter, Ancient Power, Aromatherapy
EV's: 252 Sp.Def, 124 Sp.Atk, 134 Hp

There's 510 ev's in total right? I havn't started ev training yet, so if it's wrong feel free to correct me. The idea behind this one is to function as a special wall, and become more powerful as it gets lower on health, thus sucking more from the enemy with Giga Drain and healing itself. Aromatherapy provides support, whilst Counter is there to shove off physical attackers. Ancient Power is there for type coverage. Let me know your thoughts, I'd love to get some contructive advice.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Hmm, it isn't bad by any means, but the moveset, the EVs and the hold item don't really add up. You have a defensive EV spread, and an offense-oriented hold item - not really the best idea since it doesn't really leave you being able to cover both areas as opposed to pattering out between the two and failing to really do anything with either of them. Although Petaya + Overgrow with Giga Drain is an interesting idea, I can't see it being particularly effective in the long run, and I can see Meganium getting KO'd long before it makes any real use out of it.

As GodlessM said, your Nature needs to change. Depending on whether you're after an offensive or defensive moveset (Meganium works better defensively in my view,) your Nature can vary - you'll have to clarify what it is you're after here.

Finally, your moveset is OK, but nothing special - for the most part, it looks like you picked four moves out of a hat at random and slapped them onto the set. There's no real strategy with it other than throw moves at whatever you end up having to fight against. It ticks all the other boxes as far as movesets go, but you need something far more concrete to be effective.

You need to say what you want this Meganium to really do for you - do you want it to attack? Stall? Support? Meganium can cover a lot of roles in a team, but I can't really tell you anything until you clarify what it is you need from it, and the Meganium set you have at the moment doesn't seem to know its role either. (Cookies to whoever gets the reference there...)

Yeah, I went for the quirky nature because it's one of those natures that does nothing. What I was really after was an Impish nature, guess I'll have to keep breeding. As for what I want it to do, I'm going for a defensive supporter I suppose. So I guess I should take the EV's out of Sp. Atk and put them in Defence.

Basically it's supposed to soak up hits from most water/ground types, and throw a wrench in most stalling strategies with Aromatherapy. I thought that the petaya berry would be good to go with overgrow and such, but I guess not. Perhaps I should grab a Sitrus Berry? My leftovers are already in use by my Dusknoir on this team (Physical Wall).

Here's a pretty simple support build for Meganium

Meganium @ Leftovers
Bold
216 HP / 148 Def / 144 SpA

Energy Ball
Aromatherapy
Light Screen / Reflect
Leech Seed / Synthesis

Bleh, sorry wasn't thinking, I'm after a Calm nature. And yeah, I've tried Light Screen/Reflect on other supporters before, and it just really isn't my style. Good as it is, I don't think I would be able to use it well with my current team. But considering that I have 20 heart scales though, I can try it out and see how it works. Oh, and as I already pointed out, Leftovers can't be used since my Dusknoir already uses them so I'll need something else.

So yeah, basically its a special wall over everything, with some Sp. Atk to back it up and do some damage. If you think it would do better with more Defence Ev's however, let me know.