• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

DPPt/HGSS Medicham Time!

Hello once again Clinic buds! I come to you with well the same question I usually ponder about... is this a good physical sweeper? I have no trouble with annoyers or special but I have trouble figuring out physical and walls a lil more.

So since I got a brand new shiny medicham from a guy on Serebii I figured I should use it, so here is what it looks like atm:

Medicham
Razor Claw (will probably be choice band soon)
Brave Nature

Moves:
-Ice Punch
-Drain Punch
-Psycho Cut
-Recover

Thats how it was when I got him last night, I was thinking of changing Drain punch and/or recover but im not sure what to change them too. Im thinking brick break for drain punch but id like the master opinions first ^_^

PS: He wont be EV trained since he was lvl 60 when I got him, itll be for light competition :p

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
What are its stats and level?
if you give it a Choice anything, get rid of recover for sure....
otherwise, without its stats, I can't say I'd know whether to pick Recover or Drain Punch.

If you get rid of Drain Punch, Brick Break would seem like a good replacement... if you trust the accuracy [I wouldn't], and depending on stats, Focus Blast may be your thing.

if you get rid of Recover... any of the following would be good:
Energy Ball - if Sp. Attack isn't too low, and it shouldn't be.
Poison Jab - 30% chance to poison, and decent power
Calm Mind\Bulk Up - again depending on stats, and attacks too. with a brave Nature, I'd lean more towards Bulk Up.

one final idea, is to swap Psycho Cut for Psychic... I just think it should have at least one Special attack, even with a Brave nature.

What are its stats and level?
if you give it a Choice anything, get rid of recover for sure....
otherwise, without its stats, I can't say I'd know whether to pick Recover or Drain Punch.

If you get rid of Drain Punch, Brick Break would seem like a good replacement... if you trust the accuracy [I wouldn't], and depending on stats, Focus Blast may be your thing.

if you get rid of Recover... any of the following would be good:
Energy Ball - if Sp. Attack isn't too low, and it shouldn't be.
Poison Jab - 30% chance to poison, and decent power
Calm Mind\Bulk Up - again depending on stats, and attacks too. with a brave Nature, I'd lean more towards Bulk Up.

one final idea, is to swap Psycho Cut for Psychic... I just think it should have at least one Special attack, even with a Brave nature.
Here are the detailed stats since I didnt have my DS on me at the time of the original post, oh and he is now lvl 76, I made a mistake in recalling his lvl before, I got him at 70.
Attk: 183
Def: 138
Sp.Atk: 101
Sp.Def: 138
Speed: 179

And im keeping psycho cut for 2 reasons: 1 its a great physical stab move for him, and 2 well I want him to be a physical sweeper, with an ability like Pure Power I wouldnt want to waste it on Sp. Attks.

Ruko

Bearded Trout Warrior
Keep them all physical, with those stats....

I'd say it's between Bulk Up and Poison Jab now... in place of recover...
Keep Drain Punch... it isn't terribly weak in comparison to Brick Break, for its effect, and your Medicham has some pretty good attack anyway.

this is my opinion... but I don't much like Medicham, so other people may offer better advice.

High Jump Kick is a solid option for STAB. With a base 90 for an attack that produces recoil if you miss, this is the best option you'll get from Medicham.

The Elemnetal punches are also quite handy as well.

So how about this?

Item: Choice Scarf/Band
-High Jump Kick/Brick Break
-Psycho Cut
-Ice Punch/Return
-Thunder Punch/Rock Slide

First two for STAB.
The choice between High Jump Kick and Brick Break is a question about accuracy. If a Ghost switches in, Medicham will take damage, while if it used Brick Break, it won't take any. High Jump kick does superior damage compared to Brick Break but like I mentioned before, Power versus Accuracy.
Ice Punch and Thunder Punch hit every types for neutral damage.
Rock Slide and Return are nice options as well, these attacks can fill holes in your team.
Choice Scarf lets it outspeed many Pokemon. Choice Band still hits hard as well. Personal choice there.

I dunno about high jump kick :S the recoil hurts quite a bit. I think ill go for this as my final build :D

Medicham@Choice Band
-Brick Break
-Psycho Cut
-Ice Punch
-Thunder Punch

Both the punches cover flyings over all and a plethora of other opponents and I suppose ill switch out if a meanie ghost type shows its face :p

Thanks for the help guys! Now for a suitable nickname and seal for him....

>_> what I like making my team pretty lol.