• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mario VS. Donkey Kong - Minis March Again! and General discussion

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I must praise DSiWare for allowing me to experience this franchise for the first time cheaply. Probably never would've given it the time of day otherwise.

Anyways, I recently downloaded Mario Vs. Donkey Kong: Minis March Again! on my DSi, and I've been really enjoying the purchase. If you like interactive puzzle games or have any interest in the Mario Vs. DK franchise, it's a great buy for just 800 points. 40 stages, a pretty snazzy stage builder that expands as you play through the main game, and a nicely laid out WFC distribution system. You can upload your own custom stages to the network, download other random stages through a variety of search options (including stages made by Nintendo themselves), and share friend IDs for more direct trading. The fact you're graded on how well you play the downloaded stages makes them worth retrying until you get a perfect score. They're a great way to expand on the core gameplay once you've beaten everything else.

So... yeah. All that for $8? More than worth it. The game feels like it was made for a touch screen, so I encourage anyone who played the GBA version and mildly enjoyed it (but possibly not enough to buy the DS version) to test out this DSiWare title as well. If anyone else does own this game already and has made stages, feel like sharing your friend ID? I've only made one stage so far, but it's pretty basic... XD

Otherwise, what are general impressions you guys have with the franchise as a whole?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Is this the same as the original March of the Minis for the DS?

Sort've, but not exactly. The game has been described as feeling like an expansion to March of the Minis, not an actual sequel. Since I didn't play the original on DS, that worked well for me.

[quote author=Moosechu link=topic=6394.msg110521#msg110521 date=1246295407]
Is this the same as the original March of the Minis for the DS?

Sort've, but not exactly. The game has been described as feeling like an expansion to March of the Minis, not an actual sequel. Since I didn't play the original on DS, that worked well for me.
[/quote]

Not exactly sure on what you mean by expansion. Could you elaborate a bit on this?

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Not exactly sure on what you mean by expansion. Could you elaborate a bit on this?

I can only go by IGN's review because, again, I didn't play the DS version.

Minis March Again! is not just a copy of March of the Minis. All 40 of its levels are new. The reason why it has been called an "expansion" is because it doesn't really add anything new to the game-play - at least, nothing major. I think a few touch-screen related functions have been touched up (like being able to select and place one pink block at a time), but it doesn't sound like Minis March Again! adds anything players hadn't already experienced with March of the Minis - just more stages to work through.

Does that help?