• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mario or Sonic

Who's better, Mario or Sonic?

• Both

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Mario

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Sonic

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 6.5%
  • Both

Votes: 9 19.6%
  • Mario

Votes: 16 34.8%
  • Sonic

Votes: 17 37.0%
  • Neither

Votes: 3 6.5%

• Total voters
It's a question thats been going on for years. I think Mario, because 1: He's saved the world about twice as much as Sonic. 2: Sonic kind of cheats considering he's the fastest thing on the planet, and Mario's just a regular guy, buts still saves the world anyway.

StellarWind Elsydeon

Armblades Ascendant
Staff member
Administrator
In the past, I'd have said Sonic. Nowadays, I say neither.

Mario is Mario. Iconic as he is, I never particularily liked him. And while the original three sonic games were pretty damn awesome, everything went to hell ever since they redesigned him into that smug 'cool' YOU'RE TOO SLOW bitchbucket. >>;

I'll say Sonic. You may think he cheats, but then again, Mario has those mushrooms too, so I thinl their on even playing fround, considering their stories.

But I say Sonic because I've always found the blue dude to be more interesting than Mario. Mainly because I've heard Sonic say a full sentence, insted of just "Itsa me, Mario". Plus, his voice sounds cool :) I also like Sonic more because his games give me that sense of adrenaline that gets me going, plus they inspire a lot of my stories and characters too. Oh, and the characters in the games are cool too, I don't care what people say.

So yes, I like Sonic more than Mario. Not just 2d or 3d Sonic, but both :) And I always will. (with the exception of Shadow the Hedgehog (the game).)

Doubled said:
I'll say Sonic. You may think he cheats, but then again, Mario has those mushrooms too, so I thinl their on even playing fround, considering their stories.

But I say Sonic because I've always found the blue dude to be more interesting than Mario. Mainly because I've heard Sonic say a full sentence, insted of just "Itsa me, Mario". Plus, his voice sounds cool :) I also like Sonic more because his games give me that sense of adrenaline that gets me going, plus they inspire a lot of my stories and characters too. Oh, and the characters in the games are cool too, I don't care what people say.

So yes, I like Sonic more than Mario. Not just 2d or 3d Sonic, but both :) And I always will. (with the exception of Shadow the Hedgehog (the game).)
Sonic is great, dont get me wrong, I just seem to like Mario a teensy bit more. Although it is frustrating that Mario barely has said anything in the 25 years we've known him.

They both are protagonists. They both are staples. They both do just about the same thing in every game. They both fight minions that die when hit in the head. They both have antagonists that get beaten bad and still come back for more. They both have rivals. Said rivals both star in their own games. They both have sidekicks. They both race karts. They both play tennis. They both get high.

What's the real difference exactly?

You know, I really want to say that I love Mario more because Sonic has just become the same old crap in far-out settings, but Doctor Oak raises a very good point.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'm voting Sonic. Although Sonic games of late have been pretty crap, at least Sonic was amazing to me at one point (back on the Megadrive.) Mario on the other hand has been consistently mediocre and dull from day one to now for me, so Sonic wins it for actually being appealing at some point along the road, unlike Nintendo's bland, overrated and devoid-of-personality mascot.

Luigi's still awesome though, and Wario always gets a thumbs up from me.

It is mario is the best ever and sonic is stuiped Mario is the beeeeeeest ever!!!! For Mario ;D For sonic stuiped and dum and this >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

How ageres 2 me????

Last edited by a moderator:
Mickey said:
It is mario is the best ever and sonic is stuiped Mario is the beeeeeeest ever!!!! For Mario ;D For sonic stuiped and dum and this >:( >:( >:( >:( >:(

How ageres 2 me????
Well, I wouldnt go THAT far. Mario is better, but Sonic has had some pretty good games in the past, and frankly he just seems cool.

I've voted both, unlike the wars that went on in the early 90s in every school known to man where kids wearing the red fought hard against those wearing the blue, SEGA and Nintendo were true rivals. If you loved Mario you were outcasted by the Sonic crew, if you loved Sonic you were shunned by the Mario fans. I loved and owned both games and their respective systems. But actually liking the cast... Sonic family has more characters I like than the Mario gang, I however love Bowser and his minions (and new found family) a lot more than any Sonic guy. If it's over who's the fave then it'd go to Mario solely due to Bowser's work. If it's percentage wise with numbers it'd go to Sonic.

Top 5 favorites from both parties:
1. King Koopa
2. Koopalings
3. Bowser Jr.
4. Knuckles
5. Silver

Then we get more into the minions like Hammer Bros, Koopa Troopa (and paratroopas), Dry Bones, basically all the turtles, lol. With Sonic it'd go Metal Sonic as the following SEGA and Sonic.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Brendan Savem said:
They both are protagonists. They both are staples. They both do just about the same thing in every game. They both fight minions that die when hit in the head. They both have antagonists that get beaten bad and still come back for more. They both have rivals. Said rivals both star in their own games. They both have sidekicks. They both race karts. They both play tennis. They both get high.

What's the real difference exactly?

This. :p

As much as I like my Sonic games (and Sonic as a character), I like Mario just as much. As for 'which is better' - Brendan said it best. Although, Sonic is blue and an animal protagonist (instantly fun in my books). Super Sonic is awesome, too, and the oldschool Sonic games were rather epic... Sonic 3&Knuckles will forever be love. Complete love~

But I digress. I voted both and I'll be sticking with it. XP

carcinoGenetecist said:
Munchy Lax said:
Linkachu said:
DoctorOak said:
DoctorOak said:
Everyone who doesn't say Sonic is wrong.

Your opinion is wrong. >=0
Ditto.
Such lies...

Sonic's saved the world more than Mario; Mario just saves the ever-changing Mushroom Kingdom.
Oh, Yeah? Try telling that to the people who have played Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, AND Super Paper Mario.

Munchy Lax said:
carcinoGenetecist said:
Munchy Lax said:
Linkachu said:
DoctorOak said:
DoctorOak said:

Ditto.
Such lies...

Sonic's saved the world more than Mario; Mario just saves the ever-changing Mushroom Kingdom.
Oh, Yeah? Try telling that to the people who have played Super Mario Galaxy, Super Mario Galaxy 2, AND Super Paper Mario.

Well, still though. Even with those games alone, Sonic's saved more people in more places. Besides, I wouldn't exactly call those worlds "worlds in the Super Mario Galaxy games, rather planetoids.

Also, if you think about it, Sonic has also explored the fricken planet, putting it back together as he literally trots the globe. Plus, if you think thats not enough, we also have Colors coming up. I think he'll be going to some planets, but he'll also be saving an alien race, using their powers as he goes.

now, let's also think of all the power ups that they've both had.

Mario:
■Super Mushroom
■Fire Flower
■Starman
■1-Up Mushroom
■Air Cherry
■Health Mushroom
■Magic Potion
■POW Block
■Bombs
■Racoon Leaf
■Power Wing
■Frog Suit
■Tanooki Suit
■Hammer Suit
■Cape Feather
■Rabbit Carrott
■Wing Cap
■Metal Cap
■Vanish Cap
■F.L.U.D.D.
■Mega Mushroom
■Tiny Mushroom
■Blue Shell
■Bee Mushroom
■Boo Mushroom
■Spring Mushroom
■Ice Flower
■Rainbow Star
■Propeller Suit
■Penguin Suit
■Mini Mushroom

That's 21 power ups (credit to this place for the info.).

Sonic's powerups:

Invincible
Sheild
Magnet Sheild
Fire sheild
several other sheilds (which for the life of me I can't remember)
Bomb
Light speed dash
Ring dash
bouncing
Magic hands
Flame ring
Red gem
Blue gem
Yellow gem
Purple gem
Sky Blue gem
White gem
Green Gem
Fire shooter (also a flame sheild in Rivals 1 and 2)
Ice
Wind
Stomping
Rush
Super Sonic
Hyper Sonic
Darkspines Sonic
Excalibur Sonic
etc.

And that's just him alone. Then there's also Colors coming up, so we'll be seeing more then too.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Munchy Lax said:
carcinoGenetecist said:
Munchy Lax said:
Linkachu said:
DoctorOak said:
DoctorOak said:

Ditto.
Such lies...

Three games Vs all of Sonic's career?

I think Mario is better because...
1. He's a Nintendo classic loved by most of the people i know.
2. Yeah i agree . he deserves the win since hes just a normal guy and Sonic already has powers .
3. Mario is a plumber. i mean, give the guy a break. Plus he needs a girl. Sonic already has Amy Rose drooling all over him.

lucarioteen said:
I think Mario is better because...
1. He's a Nintendo classic loved by most of the people i know.
2. Yeah i agree . he deserves the win since hes just a normal guy and Sonic already has powers .
3. Mario is a plumber. i mean, give the guy a break. Plus he needs a girl. Sonic already has Amy Rose drooling all over him.
EXACTLY!

Doctor Oak

Staff member
Overlord
See, the thing here is, who is the better character? And the only answer to that is Sonic - 'cos Mario doesn't have a character and neither do any of his sidekicks. Or any real proper built up universe (Sonic has about a billion thanks to all the tv shows and comics) and no real personality or any of that important stuff to have character.

When people say Sonic, people still think "super fast blue hedgehog with attitude" even if the 90s are long since behind us. When people say Mario, people just think... "erm.... Nintendo. Yes?". That's just corporate mascoting - not having character or personality.

Therefore, Sonic wins and everyone who doesn't agree is wrong. :)

I voted mario becuase I just like him better. True, my first console ever was the SEGA Genisis and my first game ever was Sonic (either that or Toy Story, don't remember...) but Mario was able to seamlessly tranfer to 3D (Super Mario 64) and be awesome. When Sonic went 3D (Sonic 3D Blast) it was...not awesome. Mario is still going strong today, while Sonic is being stabbed in the gut repeatedly with every horrible game. And if your going to talk about personality and characters, need I remind you the original plots of the games were a mushroom-eating plumber saving a princess from a dragon with a spiked-shell on his back, and a blue hedgehog who saves woodland creatures from a obese scientist with a stupid looking mustache!!

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
DoctorOak said:
See, the thing here is, who is the better character? And the only answer to that is Sonic - 'cos Mario doesn't have a character and neither do any of his sidekicks. Or any real proper built up universe (Sonic has about a billion thanks to all the tv shows and comics) and no real personality or any of that important stuff to have character.

When people say Sonic, people still think "super fast blue hedgehog with attitude" even if the 90s are long since behind us. When people say Mario, people just think... "erm.... Nintendo. Yes?". That's just corporate mascoting - not having character or personality.

Therefore, Sonic wins and everyone who doesn't agree is wrong. :)

Touche~

Although, sadly, most people don't view Sonic that way anymore. They're more likely to bash the latest games or say how the series should have died ages ago. There's quite honestly not a lot of love for Sonic these days outside of its fandom. :X

I know, even on Sonic forums, where "true Sonic fans" go, there's bashing. I can't stand it! Really, I wish some people would let things go (2d purists) and stop comparing today's games with the old ones and JUST ENJOY THE DERN GAME! But sadly they can't, because all they see is a flat level where all you do is hop and go side to side, vs today's better 360 angled games.

Also people go around wishing he wouldn't talk anymore, and I hate that. I can't just grasp a story by just watching it, I at least need some text, but I would prefer to hear a voice. It is so annoying how people claim that there are 2 different Sonics, one 2d, the other modern, and I hate it when they just blame the latter for bad games, even if alot of us like it. I say they are both one and the same, like it or not.

But seriously, I can't help but find irony in all of this. On the Sonic forums, a SEGA trademark, people bash Sonic and love Mario. Yet on some Nintendo Forums, Mario or not (such as this, since Pokemon is part of Nintendo), some bash Mario, and love Sonic. Anyone else finding irony in this?

Doubled said:
But seriously, I can't help but find irony in all of this. On the Sonic forums, a SEGA trademark, people bash Sonic and love Mario. Yet on some Nintendo Forums, Mario or not (such as this, since Pokemon is part of Nintendo), some bash Mario, and love Sonic. Anyone else finding irony in this?
I KNOW! It's Insane! If you're going to bash a game, why do it on the forum ABOUT it?!

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
Munchy Lax said:
Doubled said:
I KNOW! It's Insane! If you're going to bash a game, why do it on the forum ABOUT it?!

That's not irony, that's trollin'.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
They see me trollin'...they hatin'...

As further evidence:

Super Smash Bros. Brawl Tier List v5 said:
S: Meta Knight
A: Snake, Diddy Kong, Falco, Wario, Marth, Ice Climbers

HIGH
B: Olimar, Pikachu, King Dedede, Mr. Game & Watch, Lucario, Zero Suit Samus

MIDDLE
C: Toon Link, Kirby, Fox, R.O.B., Pit, Peach, Donkey Kong
D: Luigi, Wolf, (Zelda/Sheik), Sonic, Ike, Sheik, Ness, Pokémon Trainer

LOW
E: Yoshi, Lucas, Mario, Bowser
F: Captain Falcon, Samus, Jigglypuff, Link, Zelda

GANON
G: Ganondorf

Sawnick is higher on the tier list, therefore he is the better character. Also...

lucarioteen said:

Uh, Princess Peach ring any bells?

King of Lucario said:
Also...

lucarioteen said:

Uh, Princess Peach ring any bells?
Um, has Mario EVER gotten a lot of recognition by Peach? NO. 8 painful worlds of beating bosses and all he he gets is:

"Thanks for saving me Mario." And That's all.

Yoshimitsu

Former Moderator
The fact remains that he has a love interest, who somewhat acknowledges him. It might be in a stand-offish manner, but he does have a love interest who doesn't reject his advances.

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
I'd consider Mario and Peach far more of a couple than Amy and Sonic - as stand-offish as Mario and Peach's relationship is, the feelings they have are at least suggested to be mutual. Amy Rose is just "Sonic's creepy stalker," let's be honest here - when she's showing her love, he's usually fleeing for his life.

Besides, ScrewAttack said themselves in one of their videos that Mario's the one who never goes in for the poontang - he's only himself to blame.

lol @ King of Lucario.

Even though they don't really pair up in the games, I like the whole LuigixDaisy relationships people post about.
If Daisy is in fact Luigi's girl, you can tell she is the one who starts the things in the relationship, Luigi's one lucky guy.

But by the looks of it, if anything, I'm sure there's a lot of lovin' going on after he saves her. They refuse to show it or they'd have to jack up the rating which would be suspicious for a Mario game.

Rumar said:
But by the looks of it, if anything, I'm sure there's a lot of lovin' going on after he saves her. They refuse to show it or they'd have to jack up the rating which would be suspicious for a Mario game.

You have just put a horrible picture into my mind. O_O

Oh, and Mario all the way. At least he hasn't completely killed his series, AND hasn't got a shite attitude.

No offense to Sonic lovers , but Sonic drools and Mario RULES.
I mean , he's straight up kick-butt ! xD
He's a brave Italian midget who's up against , who ?
BOWSER , the mean and demonic 10-foot dragon .
Sonic is a fast lean machine who already has a girl and who wins most of the time , against who ?
The cynical Dr. Eggman ... Yeah whatever .
Feel sorry for the guy !
Mario deserves to win ! (a.k.a. Hey Sonic , get the HECK outta here !)

I vote for Mario because he came first and the outfit and 'stache is just a classic :)
And plus Mario is practical .
For Sonic , what kind of hedgehog talks and is actually fast ??? ?
So unrealistic . I've seen a real hedgehog before , and they are 10x slower than that .
I know it's just a game but , at least try to seem real .
We're all looking for something that will inspire , these days .

Mario should be the first pick .
Like I said , he's a brave Italian midget .
It gives all those other brave Italian midgets something to think about .
Something to dream about .
"Hey ! Maybe I can jump atleast 10 feet in the air one day and not die (skydiving) ! Maybe I can beat up some guy who's taller than me ! Hey"
Mario is just beastly .
he OWNS Nintendo .
he IS the man .
Word . XD

I Think My Words Can Speak For Themselves .
-[Animefan1]-

I don't get how you can compare two different character's from two different universes together, but if anything I would have to go with Mario due to the sheer nostalgic memories I have playing the Mario games. I would fantasize as a child that I was Mario and I would put on overall's, a red shirt and cap, then go off jumping on my mom's potted plants and mushrooms.

Which she thought was the greatest thing (Sarcasm :3)

But the idea of saving a princess always appealed to me and I've always liked how they took the idea of Mario and fleshed it out into the Mario Universe. Don't get me wrong, I like Sonic ALOT but Mario will be a place in my heart that Sonic can't take :3

Okay, if we're going to speak about realism, we might wanna start a new topic in which is more realistic, an italian plumber who grows 2x his size by eating mushrooms, fights goombas, koopa troopas, bobombs, and more, how about what he has to do? Fight King Koopa aka Bowser, the fire spitting turtle/kappa, he has to rush in several different sceneries. His means for invincibility? A star, just a star he gets from blocks... His skin, clothes, everything about him flashes different colors and probably gives seizures. He can throw fire balls after eating colorful flowers and even can fly when he puts on a raccoon suit that consists only of raccoon ears and a tail.

Then take Sonic, a blue hedgehog, who runs super fast, against a mad genius who turns animals into robots to do his bidding... Sonic has other animal friends who have their own abnormalities such as Knuckles the Echidna and Tails. Now let's see here... his means for invincibility... 7 chaos emeralds which make him go super saiyan... He won't die if he gets hit while holding onto rings and can even spin dash through enemies... Alright, guys, put up your votes in who is more realistic, lol