• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Magikarp Confirmed for Pokkén (and the release date!)

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Finally, the news we've all been waiting for: The Pokémon Company have today announced that Pokkén Tournament will feature the legendary Magikarp as a Support Pokémon.

They have also revealed,that the game will be released worldwide on March 18th 2016.

support5.jpg

Chandelure has also been confirmed as a playable character in the Wii U version of Pokkén, and you'll be able to choose Sylveon, Pachirisu, and Croagunk as Support Pokémon, as well as Magikarp.[prebreak][/prebreak]

CYugU2AUEAA5qcj.jpg

More details about some of the game's various modes have also been announced. The game will have single-player, local, and online modes, as follows:
  • A single-player "Single Battle" mode, which has three difficulty levels.
  • Local play on one Wii U, where one player plays on the gamepad and another plays with a standard controller on the TV. The game is locked to 30fps in this mode.
  • LAN play, where two Wii Us and televisions are connected through a LAN cable. This allows for tournament play, and both consoles run at 60fps.
  • Online play, which consists of Friendly Matches and Ranked Matches.
    • You can play friendly matches with anyone on your friend list, or by giving out a "Battle Code" for the match.
    • Ranked play awards points based on your performance, and players will compete for the highest rank.

CYxRcm-WcAAdAOL.png

That's all for now. Stay tuned as we cover the run-up to Pokkén Tournament, and we hope to see some of you in-game on the 18th March!

support4.jpg

Last edited:

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Of course Magikarp is a support Pokemon. Can't make it a main fighter otherwise it would break the game with it's lethal Splash, Splash, Tackle, Bounce, Flail combo. At least as a support it only has a slim chance of destroying opponents.

Oh look, there's also a release date.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
Whoot, Magikarp! Best Pokemon ever! Amirite @Mr.RMA ? ;D

In all seriousness, I am absolutely in love with how Chandelure looks. It looks so crystaline ahhh ;w; my favorite ghostie is a fighter, I'm so happy ♥

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
Ah, my former symbol of notability shall finally be able to assist in all its truly respectable glory!

Personally they still didn't put in a fighter that made me absolutely rabid to buy this game asap, especially as my favorite starter was likely snubbed by friggin' flame salamander, and furthermore the one gen III starter I actually wanted is not playable, but I suppose them's the breaks, can't have them all. It's a Pokemon fighting game, I'm sure eventually I'll crack and find a way to snap it up, and I'm totally down with the ghost types involved, one of them is more than likely going to be my main methinks.

Ooh more news about Pokken. Game modes, release date, Magikarp... yeah, this seems about right. Also-
Chandelure has also been confirmed as a playable character in the Wii U version of Pokkén

I profoundly approve.

Just a support Pokemon? Awwwww, there goes my dreams of having a epic Magikarp main utterly wiping the floor with every other Pokemon in this game. Ah well, I guess having it as a support will have to do.

Finally, the news we've all been waiting for: The Pokémon Company have today announced that Pokkén Tournament will feature the legendary Magikarp as a Support Pokémon.

They have also revealed,that the game will be released worldwide on March 18th 2016.

Chandelure has also been confirmed as a playable character in the Wii U version of Pokkén, and you'll be able to choose Sylveon, Pachirisu, and Croagunk as Support Pokémon, as well as Magikarp.

More details about some of the game's various modes have also been announced. The game will have single-player, local, and online modes, as follows:
  • A single-player "Single Battle" mode, which has three difficulty levels.
  • Local play on one Wii U, where one player plays on the gamepad and another plays with a standard controller on the TV. The game is locked to 30fps in this mode.
  • LAN play, where two Wii Us and televisions are connected through a LAN cable. This allows for tournament play, and both consoles run at 60fps.
  • Online play, which consists of Friendly Matches and Ranked Matches.
    • You can play friendly matches with anyone on your friend list, or by giving out a "Battle Code" for the match.
    • Ranked play awards points based on your performance, and players will compete for the highest rank.

That's all for now. Stay tuned as we cover the run-up to Pokkén Tournament, and we hope to see some of you in-game on the 18th March!

Lol I suspected this. I'll be going with Sylveon.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
As many of us had been expecting to see Swampert to be revealed on the 15th, receiving Chandelure instead was really fun. I've still yet to train a Chandelure within the RPG series but I've always liked the creature and its design. Can't wait to take it for a spin in Pokken. ^_^

Also, March 18th is also Rach Day! A perfect date for the game to land worldwide. :D (aka. @Prof. Cinders birthday ^-^)