• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Mafia VI: Day One (Sept. 5-8) Fear and Trembling

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
(Posting this now since I'll be very busy tomorrow.)

The mafia have struck! This dreary morning we find what appears to be the very mangled body of our town's doctor~

One mafia family, "The Monarch Family," has taken credit for the murder. From how things look it seems we are only dealing with a single mafia family, but they seem very dangerous enough without another family to worry about.

All right now, peasants. It's your town. Go save it.

Good luck, heroes~

(Because I still happen to be up:x)

Doctor's out. We're screwed~

Sem could easily smite the Mafia, and yet he's chosen to let them kill us all </3 I say we lynch Sem :D

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
I dare one more person to say "lynch Sem." (Don't do it, Katie.)

We'll have none of that silliness here. Kill each other, do it~~~

Lynch Sem! >:D
You asked for it :3

I also hear that there are some interesting characters moving about in Town. Including a seductress, a thief, and a visionary. Stay cautious folks, these are some dangerous times.

A new game, a new mafia and some interesting faces. Just need some stimulating statements then the suspicions can commence. Stay on the lookout guys and I hope to see you alive and well in the morning.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sem said:
I dare one more person to say "lynch Sem." (Don't do it, Katie.)

D:

No doctor this game, but at least the detective Seer has regained its original powers. (Would've loved having 'em last game ;D)

A Seer and... an information succubus, in a way? This game is getting a whole lot more fantasy-like under Sem's reign. And hopefully more fun than the last one was, because it got a bit boring- Even though I managed to survive 'till the end for the first time in three games.

I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing no one has started spouting random accusations, but if no one's doing it, then neither will I. Not with zero ground to base anything on.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Dark Soul said:
I don't know if it's a good thing or a bad thing no one has started spouting random accusations, but if no one's doing it, then neither will I. Not with zero ground to base anything on.

Exactly why I'm not. Currently nothing to go on, and people get on your case for abstaining just as much as they do for throwing out accusations. :x

(I'm personally just hoping that everyone who signed up is still able to take part in the game.)

Hi friends! My goal is to get Sem-if I could. Darnit </3

I have a class soon so I'll talk more later, just saying I'm alive and ready for duty! ...Or something? I hope that sounded okay!

Damn, damn, damn, sorry guys, I havn't had an internet connection for a while, and it just got fixed, so just letting you know I'm here so i don't get kicked for inactivity!

Linkachu said:
Dark Soul said:

Exactly why I'm not. Currently nothing to go on, and people get on your case for abstaining just as much as they do for throwing out accusations. :x

(I'm personally just hoping that everyone who signed up is still able to take part in the game.)

That's exactly the problem- You can do hardly anything right in the first round of Mafia, because doing anything out of the ordinary will make you the point of focus. Throwing out accusations might give you a shot at killing a Mafia, but you have equal chance of hitting a Townie, which is why I like abstaining better.

I'm sure plenty of people disagree with me, but this is just my two cents~

I agree that abstaining is better as we could hit a townie but more importantly we could hit a special role like the seer without anything to go on, I'll wait a while longer though incase something interesting comes up.

Here's my view on the matter:

Yes, while lynching someone day one can lead to accidentally killing off a fellow townsperson, we're still ahead than if we abstain. Why? Because we now have information to go off of in Day 2. What information? I'm glad you asked.

With random accusations on Day 1, we are almost guaranteed that a Mafia member will slip up somewhere and drop the absolute tiniest of hints at the very least. We'll also see people being very, very defensive. More importantly, people being very defensive for other people. The Mafia, more than anyone else(bar the Couple), will want to protect their own, at least during this early stage of the game. The longer they can keep more of their family alive, the better they can prolong the game, by which they have a better chance of winning.

While there is nothing to go on at the moment, I'm going to keep my eye on Brendan and Katie - they are masters of being Mafia :V

Shocari said:
I'm going to keep my eye on Brendan and Katie - they are masters of being Mafia :V
Yeah, even though the usual pattern since Round 2 is for me to die within three days. I may have been master once, but that's changed big time. Plus, how many times have I been Mafia again, at least 3 times? That has to be the most out of anybody.

Don't have a reason to go against your reasoning for Katie yet though, other than the fact that Sem loves her so much that he would happily push her into the limelight if he was playing. So I do would like to hear her piece.

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
Ah, and so it has begun!

I'll admit I agree with Sho somewhat when it comes to the possibility of presenting a random accusation or two instead of simply abstaining for a round, but that method is definitely not a faultless one. On a number of occasions, mafia members have been able to keep their identities fairly well hidden, using this false sense of trust from actual townies to manipulate their decisions. Some may give away their positions more easily than others, but at this point, so early in the game, it's usually pretty difficult to single anyone out.

I currently don't have any real justifiable suspicions on anyone in particular, though that may change if anyone drops a hint, subtle or not-so-subtle. I'm not completely against abstaining either if it comes to that, though I wouldn't want that to just be our immediate decision.

Although I see the logic in Sho's statement, I'm still not inclined to agree. Everyone who is called out as a possible suspect, randomly or not, will act defensively because the whole point of the game is not to die. If you defend yourself someone might think your defense is suspicious, and you'd be digging yourself deeper and deeper into a hole with little chance of escape, even when you really are a Townie. Paranoia rules the streets.

At the same time, despite that we have no viable grounds for personal defense yet as the game has only just started, I don't like the idea of basing an accusation on someone's role in a previous game- It's irrelevant because roles change every time, and are assigned via a random generator on top of that.

Anyway, my personal choice is to stay put until I think someone has said something I find suspicious-sounding enough to go after instead of throwing out accusations, so I'm not abstaining just yet in case the board changes.

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
Yes, roles were assigned via a random generator. Keep that in mind. Basing accusations off of past games may prove to be unwise~~~

Teapot

Virtual Duck Enthusiast
Staff member
Administrator
Also, Sem hasn't had any instruction from me as to how this game is run - so you can't rely on him following any traditions I might have set in the past. The way he and I run the game is pretty different, and that should make this round more fun to play.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Brendan Savem said:
Shocari said:
I'm going to keep my eye on Brendan and Katie - they are masters of being Mafia :V

But I've only been Mafia once, and I was killed off by the first or second night! ;_; (All Sem's fault D:<)

Don't have a reason to go against your reasoning for Katie yet though...

How is his reasoning for me being mafia more sound than yourself being mafia? :p

If there is one trend that I have formed within this game, it's abstaining the first round. I've never agreed with the menality that killing someone day one shakes things up, nor have I seen evidence from previous rounds to suggest such. Last time we voted against someone and a townsperson paid the price. This time there's only one mafia family, making it even less likely that we'd hit a proper target.

I'll too not cast my vote until everyone has responded (especially Red~), but I'm definitely leaning towards abstaining.

I think using previous games roles as reasoning is absurd other than the fact of comparing behavioural patterns.

I'm on the fence now between lynching and abstaining after seeing Sho's post. This is just my personal opinion but Sho wanting rid of people on Day 1, and with the vocal veterans seeming like the primary targets is slightly suspicious in the fact he wants people to stay quiet and have less influences. This is to perhaps cover something up like being Mafioso or bring attention to himself which means he could be the jester. Again this is speculation and possibly overthinking things.

But I do see Sho's point at the same time that we could have a head start at hitting Mafioso and that the vocal veterans would be able to build up a bandwagon to help the Mafia similar to Red in the last game.

I'll wait until Red and some others like El, Belle and Carmi. I'm not entirely sure who I will vote for IF I do, as my brain is telling me Sho but my gut instinct is that the Mafia lie elsewhere hence waiting for others. I'll probably cast my dice later today or tomorrow

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
My apologies for not posting sooner, my friends. I've been busy with school starting and all of that good stuff.

As for whether or not we abstain on the first day, I consider it irrelevant. What does matter, is that we at least begin to suspect and question one another. If we find nobody to be too suspicious than we can all simply abstain and leave Day 1 with clean consciouses.

However, if we all simply choose right now to abstain and kill all discussion before anything has really begun we're essentially throwing an entire days worth of evidence gathering away. So I implore that everyone is sure that abstaining is the way to go. We've done it in the past and haven't done it and it never really seems to make too much of a difference.

Oh, also, Katie is totes Super Mafia Person.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Sir Red said:
Oh, also, Katie is totes Super Mafia Person.

>=D

If there's one person I don't trust this game, it's you, Mr. Red. I'll be keeping my eyes on you. ;)

But I must agree with Red re: one point of reasoning. It's not worth throwing votes out too quickly before everyone has had the chance to post and/or get into discussions. I'm assuming that anyone who hasn't replied yet simply hasn't been around to do so, but I'd like to hear from everyone before putting down my bold text one way or another.

For the record, this is also a busy time for me at work and I'm currently living between two homes, so I'll likely be posting a bit less actively than the previous game. I'll do my best to keep up with and contribute to discussions though (assuming I'm not dead tonight XP).

Yoshimitsu said:
Oh my god you guys stop posting so much when I'm busy having a life >=|

what Elliot said
how dare you get busy while I am going out on hot dates D:<

Although I do appreciate that other people have already started arguing for throwing about accusations without actually voting to kill anyone because that is something I've had to fight for in every mafia game I have played :V

I do apologize for being late to the party though, school is just now picking up and I actually wasn't joking about going on hot dates but that is another story ;o

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Linkachu said:
If there's one person I don't trust this game, it's you, Mr. Red. I'll be keeping my eyes on you. ;)

Katie, Katie, Katie...I most certainly agree that you should be watching me. I'd be disappointed if you were not. ;)

Initially I had a long, villainous rant where I essentially assumed a character that I would try to play throughout this game and I was stirring the pot and questioning my own affiliation. Then I decided to delete it because it was getting too long and I always have far too much to say in this game (Plus I was totally giving away some strategies and I need to save those for proving other people guilty later in the game). So instead you get this. YAY CLIFFNOTES!!!

Totally didn't forget this! Wednesdays are just generally bad for me.

We seem to have a lot of veterans this time around so we haven't had any epic slip-ups yet. That said, I really don't want to abstain this round...however with fewer people we can't afford to make mistakes.

Ack! This is the toughest round one so far D:

Carmen Lopez said:
We seem to have a lot of veterans this time around

Hadn't noticed until you said that minus me everyone here could be classed as a veteran. (Going on the fact veteranism is based on playing 3 or more rounds) So this means we have all write more cautiously than ever.

I'll wait a few more hours to see if anyone else writes more than opening statements before deciding what to do

Sem

The Last of the Snowmen
Former Administrator
You're all pathetic. Kill! Cry! Scream! Grovel in the dirt~~~

Hate to cast my vote early but I'm not going to be able to get on til Sunday so I'm going to go with my gut feeling that Sho isn't mafia and is elsewhere which leaves me with no leads so I'm abstaining

Ah, I've missed this :)

Looking through the posts I don't really find anyone suspicious but I will keep my eyes peeled and definetely keep them open on Katie and Red :p

Got my eyes on you

Well, at least there's no swift deadline! Then if someone wanted to they could throw a coup and kick someone out!

But I will not do that and just abstain ♥

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I think everyone has replied now and it doesn't look like we'll be getting into any deeper discussions today... So I'm abstaining too for all of the reasons I mentioned earlier and because, aside from baseless hunches, I still don't have enough to go on to risk a townies' life.

I'm abstaining this round because everyone actually played very well this round. And like I said, there's really no room for error here. If we hit a townsperson we'll be down two players right off.

Don't you dare think I wimped out!

Mr.RMA

Magearna before it was cool
Yeah...everyone pretty much summed it up already. There's just nothing to go on here. Gotta abstain.

I no longer love any of you </3

And Carmen: "everyone played well"? That would mean anyone did anything. This is easily the shortest Day 1 thread yet. There was no discussion or random name calling. Why? Because no one wanted to be /that guy/. Doing so would make them a target to everyone else, which obviously no one wants this early...but isn't the risk and the danger the whole point of Mafia?

Disappointed Asian Dad Sho is disappoint.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
Shocari said:
And Carmen: "everyone played well"? That would mean anyone did anything. This is easily the shortest Day 1 thread yet. There was no discussion or random name calling. Why? Because no one wanted to be /that guy/. Doing so would make them a target to everyone else, which obviously no one wants this early...but isn't the risk and the danger the whole point of Mafia?

While it's true that I'd rather not make myself a target this early on (who wants to?), my decision to abstain is not merely based on fear of doing so or laziness. If I felt I had something to go on I'd fight for it and be that guy (or gal!), but right now that isn't what feels best. Be disappointed and show no love, but I stand by my decision. D:<

(That and I currently don't have the energy to ramble for the sake of rambling XD)

Status
Not open for further replies.