• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

LoZ: Crescent Light Chronicles

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
I really liked it (shocking right?). Nice look into the mind of Kent; you showed how he was in termoil. I'm really interested to see what he chooses, duty or love?

Well, now your Author's Note has got me excited for the next chapter.

I really liked it (shocking right?). Nice look into the mind of Kent; you showed how he was in termoil. I'm really interested to see what he chooses, duty or love?

Well, now your Author's Note has got me excited for the next chapter.

Thanks, Red. :)

Kent is a rather complicated character (more than usual compared to some of my others in CLC), but that's probably why I love writing him. ^_^

Ah ... The never-ending question, huh? Well, for now, the love part is undecided, but he definitely cares enough about Selena that he doesn't want her hurt.

XD, well, I hope you'll like it. (Glances at a better fluff-moment, and renewal of action). ;D

Psycho Monkey

Member of the Literary Elite Four
Sweeeeeeeeet!! ^_^

Kent was simply amazing this chapter. His inner struggle was very well written and very believable. I can't wait to see what will happen next or how Kent will recover from this.

Sweeeeeeeeet!! ^_^

Kent was simply amazing this chapter. His inner struggle was very well written and very believable. I can't wait to see what will happen next or how Kent will recover from this.

Thanks, Monkey. ^_^

Kent is turning out to be one of my favorite PoV's to write from, and I'm glad that you're feeling the same way about him. I'll put up the last Chapter of Part I soon, so I hope you enjoy it.

Chapter XII: Dark Reflections

Kain swung out of his mare's saddle, grasping the woven reins. The mercenary's heels clicked against the roots that sprawled the Faron Woods, his steel gray gaze raking over the lush foliage and towering trees that surrounded him. Early morning light filtered through the leaves, warm dapples dancing across the horse and rider. Thin fern leaves rustled loudly as the duo strode through the forest, his mare's shod hooves easily flattening the greenery.

The sellsword's eyes occasionally flicked to the ground, following the faded indent of three other horses. Though far from fresh, it was enough to capture his interest. Especially when he recalled the encounter several nights before, which had proved fairly eventful. A slight smirk appeared on his lips, amused. It was something he would be eager to repeat, if his half-brother was near by. Yet, he also had to wonder if Kent's companion had survived. If she had, it made no matter. It would only open further opportunities, later on.

Shaking his head, the umber haired mercenary continued to wade through the foliage. One thing, however, was certain - A source of power was near by. If it was what he suspected …

Selena glanced up mid-motion, upon hearing the Princess's frustrated sigh. Zelda was lounging against the outer side of Link's cottage, her kirtle resting across her lap. The borrowed white tunic and blue trousers appeared gold tinged with the dappled rays of light, a slight ripping sound audible. "What is it?" the young woman inquired, straitening as her older companion looked up.

Zelda's brow furrowed as her sapphire gaze lowered to the rough gown once more, a slight frown marring her usually gentle features. "I detest sewing," she admitted a tad sourly, impatiently jerking the needle through one of the torn sections.

Selena chuckled, offering a smile to placate Zelda's annoyance. It was odd, that emotions seemed slightly more ‘visible' to her. "I suppose there are more interesting things to occupy oneself with," she conceded, shrugging. "… Have you seen Kent recently? He had already left his area when I woke," she added, hesitancy touching her tone as she gestured around Link's clearing.

Her companion nodded, sourness vanishing as she laid the kirtle aside. "He was at Ordonna's spring, I believe. Might I inquire?" the Light mage mused, jumping down from the rise. She landed lightly, booted feet barely clicking. The slightly older woman stood several inches taller, nearly half a hand. Selena paused, before stepping back.

"Weaponry training, with any fortune," she returned quietly, her level tone almost sounding forced. Selena could still see her alleged companions out of the corner of her eye, whom was watching her. It was clear enough that the Princess knew specific training in that area went against her grain. But the difference between natural and necessity was sometimes a crystalline ocean to a barren desert. Her mediocre fencing skills, even with strengthened magic, would not be likely to suffice.

Bluntly put, she was weak. Selena suppressed a sigh, head bowed. Her limitations had shrunk, yes, but she did not hold the knowledge or skill to reinforce them. Something she would have to acquire, if she was to survive long enough to find the Guardian - Nayru's Guardian; protector of the moon and water, default aide to the Goddesses chosen Holders. Ancient lore surrounded the brief mention of the title, a tome having only scratched the surface. Few believed such a being existed, at any given time, yet her family had been entreated to locate just that.

She suddenly glanced up, stiffening slightly. Puzzled. A nagging sense was prodding at the back of her mind, rather like when aware of an already familiar essence. But instead of even a vague affinity in mind's eye, there was only the slightest hint of apprehension. "Something troubling you?" her companion inquired, bemused.

"Naught," Selena said hastily, looking down once more as she moved towards the hard dirt path. A damp breeze drifted through the trees, rustling the leaves above her and toying with the young woman's pale locks. Longer grass around the soil waved with the wind, ripples in the two seas of green. "… You need not slink behind me," she added softly, motioning to her side as she walked. Zelda soon fell in step behind her, nonchalant.

"Either you have excellent hearing, or a sixth sense," the older woman chuckled, smiling. She pulled her golden tresses over her shoulder as they walked, deft fingers quickly weaving a loose braid while the morning light began to fade. Rolling gray-blue clouds were gathering overhead, visible through the opening in the natural canopy. "I suppose we've got rain coming," Zelda commented quietly, fastening a blue thread at the end of her braid.

A faint smile touched Selena's lips, before nodding in agreement. "If deprived of rain, we would not have this," she said lightly, gesturing to their lush viridian surroundings. Although lacking the warmth it held upon their arrival, it was but another side of Ordonna's providence. Magical interference or no, it would return to normal after they departed. Or, she hoped it would. Was their presence upsetting a balance of sorts? Both Link and the Princess held a blatant power in their essences, of considerable strength from what she could sense. And while she had grown familiar with Kent's essence, the Knight himself was difficult to reach. "… Highness … Do you suppose Kent resents my company?" Selena ventured timidly, hands clasped behind her as they walked.

"No … Why do you ask?" Zelda queried, intrigued.

"He seems so alone … Yet he has been rather cold … As if upset, but unwilling to show it …" the electrum haired maiden whispered, head bowed.

"I doubt that your companionship is the direct cause, Selena. Give him some time … And, please, do not use my title. I am as mortal as anyone - Outside the palace walls, none should tell the difference. We are equals, in the eyes of others," the older woman added, suddenly executing a brief spin in the middle of the path. Pleased to have a measure of freedom, not having to mind every action.

"… All right …" Selena sighed, crimson tainting her features. She paused as pale sand came into sight, looking up. Kent sat at the edge of the spring, his back turned towards them. The young woman hesitated, before moving forward. Her stride was calm, managing to go unnoticed even. She knelt beside him after a moment, lightly touching her open palm to Kent's left shoulder.

He flinched, snapping out of his stream of thought. His eyes bored into her own, coolly emotionless. "… Did you sleep well?" he inquired blandly, his tone guarded. Fortified.

"… Yes," she returned softly, looking away as she lowered her hand. Resignation resonated from the young Knight, although a certain stiffness accompanied what Selena felt from him. Reluctance, frustration. "Is something wrong with your shoulder?"

"It is fine," Kent said shortly, pushing himself up. "Are you prepared to begin your training?" he inquired after a moment, sighing as he offered a hand. She grasped it, nodding as she allowed him to pull her up. "Then leave your sword sheathed for a moment. Offense is useless without something to support it: Namely agility or strong defenses. While both of what you know can pass for adequate, you need to exploit your strengths. Preferably agility, I believe. If you've a good grasp, then perhaps we may move to offensive techniques," the young man stated, moving to the east side of the spring

"What do I need to do?"

"It shall seem simple enough," Kent mused, returning with a large cloth pouch. He dropped it at the water's edge, the contents clinking. Rough gray stones, each smaller than a his open palm. "Dodge or block all of these - In the spring itself and without losing your footing. Fall, and we begin again. Fair enough?"

"If I am to learn properly, then yes," Selena murmured, nodding. Warm water sloshed around her boots as she stepped into the spring, loose sand swirling around them. She turned to face the duo once an adequate distance back, pausing. Also noticing the skepticism that tinged the Princess's features.

"Kent … Why use stones? If Selena is not fast enough, they could injure her," Zelda said pointedly, nodding to the younger, mediocre mage in apology.

The young Knight half turned, brow arched. "Pardon my bluntness, but which would hurt more: A mere rock, or a steel blade? If one manages to connect, she shall only have more incentive to dodge the next … Although it is my duty to protect others, I feel all should have a basic knowledge if the need arises. For one cannot always depend on a protector," Kent said stiffly, his jaw clenched. His entire body was slightly tensed, jaw clenched. He suddenly bent, scooping a quantity of stones out of the pouch as he straitened. One was already secure in his grip. She tensed, spreading her feet for better balance. "Let us begin."

He drew his arm back, and immediately swung it forward again. She sidestepped. A faint whistle was audible. Water cascaded beside her, splashing up the leg of her white trousers. Two others flew at her, another plummeting in a short arc. The young woman jumped back, startled by Kent's agility. One narrowly missed her right shoulder, the stones raining around her. Her eyes followed the Knight's every movement, tracking each one.

She paused, noticing his gaze was once again shadowed. Preoccupied. The young woman hesitated, before expanding her focus. Beyond evading the rocks, a swirl of emotion hanging in the air becoming evident in mind's eye. Although imprecise and somewhat vague, they were there. The persistent goading of irritation immediately prodded her psyche, the more subtle yet unnerving combination of concern and uncertainty rippling through her.

Selena stumbled back as a third essence appeared, yet another stone spinning through the air. A sharp jab of apprehension nudged her once more. Something heated flashed in mind's eye. She instinctively raised her arm, a cobalt shield flaring. The sudden use of untried magic and a solid ‘thud' brought her out of her second focus, balance wavering as the stone fell. Her barrier vanished. The young woman lowered her arm after a moment, uncomfortably aware of her companions' steady gazes. Selena straitened, although feeling the pull on her energy. "Continue, if you will," she prompted, moving into an evasive position again.

"No; not when you are distracted to such an extent. Negligence may also cause injury," Kent cautioned, motioning for her to emerge from the spring. She sighed, before wading out. The sand gritted under her moist boots, spring water lapping at the heels. Link was now leaning against the thick wooden fence post at the spring's entrance, arms crossed thoughtfully.

"You were doing quite well, until you lost your balance," the green clad swordsman observed from behind the Princess, idly tapping the heel of his boot against the post. "What caught your attention, Selena?"

She paused, hesitant. "I felt something near by, though I am not sure what," Selena murmured, inwardly curious. Yet also wary, the aloof sense of apprehension still circulating. Caused by a certain being's presence, perhaps? One of power, or simple intent? The mediocre mage looked up, hearing Link speak again.

"We should depart before the rain starts to fall … Are you accompanying us, Kent?" he queried, pushing himself away from the post.

"I suppose so …" the emerald eyed Knight affirmed, avoiding Selena's gaze.

"Where are you going?" the young woman inquired, glancing at her companions.

"We are searching for a companion, and it is of utmost importance that we find him … While our stop here proved interesting, it is time to depart," Zelda added after a moment, sighing. She turned, striding back onto the path. The Princess's footsteps soon began to fade, moving towards the clearing.

Link nodded to Kent, motioning towards the path as well. "We should not dally any longer, I am afraid. Would you care to accompany us for a bit, Selena?" the green clad swordsman inquired, pausing.

"All right; though I suppose we shall be going our separate ways within the hour," Selena returned softly, nodding. "Pardon my asking, but what does your companion look like? If I encounter him, perhaps I could send him in the right direction …" the mediocre mage offered, trailing after Link as he began to move towards the clearing again.

"He looks quite similar to myself, actually. One might even go as far to call us brothers," he said as Kent fell in step beside Selena, his tone unreadable. The heels of their boots made a rhythmic pattern on the packed dirt path, entrance to the Faron providence looming behind the trio's retreating backs.

"Is he … powerful?"

Link chuckled shortly, dryly. "Since he appeared when someone of considerable might was defeated, and claimed the whole of what was left, I would be inclined to say yes. Though he can act as a shadow, at times it is he whom casts it. I believe it is fortunate we managed to set aside the majority of our differences," he concluded, nonchalant. Yet his stride quickened, as if having mentioned too much.

Selena paused as they reached the clearing, startled. Zelda already sat astride her white gelding, saddlebags apparently restocked. The mediocre mage moved towards Elare, lightly rubbing his velvety black muzzle when she reached him. Kent soon appeared beside her, patting the stallion's muscular shoulder in greeting.

"It looks to be time to set out again," he murmured to his equine friend, earning a brief nicker in response. The young Knight emerald gaze flicked to the darkening sky, as if expecting the coming storm to let loose at any given moment. He opened the top of Elare's right saddlebag as he moved towards the horse's flank, digging through the thick leather pouch. A slight clinking was audible, before Kent emerged holding a tightly rolled bolt of forest green cloth. It furled open when he shook it, flaring as the ends touched the ground. "Here," he said quietly, swirling the cloak around Selena's shoulders before she could protest. Crimson tainted the young woman's features once more as he fastened it, avoiding his gaze. "You'll be all right?" Kent inquired, gently tilting Selena's chin up. His eyes bored into her own, calmly insistent as he awaited her response.

"… I shall manage," she whispered, uncomfortably aware of the short distance between them. The electrum haired maiden loosed a brief sigh as the young Knight stepped back, grasping the reins of his mount.

"That is good to know. Just, please, try to stay out of harm's way," the young man requested, running his hand down Elare's golden-bronze neck as Link walked his mare towards the path. "Perhaps we should start moving, though," he mused, gently tugging the reins. They moved into a paced walk behind him and the Princess, careful to keep out of kicking range.

Selena glanced away from her companion, giving a non-committal shrug in response to his first comment. That was something she could not promise. And to break a promise was to break one's trust.

The small group paused as they reached the fork past Faron's spring, turning. Cold water droplets now dotted the grass, running down their faces as it fell. Dark speckles were apparent on their garments, and their mount's glistening coats.

"We branch out here … If the Goddesses smile upon us, perhaps we shall meet again," Zelda said, nodding to their youngest companion. Sumner suddenly shifted underneath the Princess, his curved ears twitching. And pinned back in agitation, the gesture mimicked by Epona and Elare.

Selena flinched, a clap of thunder shattering the near silence. Rain was beginning to fall in larger drops, the bite of wind angling them. The trio of equines snorted, pawing at the increasingly wet ground. Thick mud splashed up their forelegs, staining them a murky brown. A stab of urgency sparked as Epona reared up, nearly pulling out of her master's grip. Yet the feeling was one akin to what she had felt in Lyrako. Battle, darkness. And it felt nearer than before. Was her enhanced sense due to being near a Spirit of Light? Or due to her strengthened magic?

A shrill whinny cut through her thoughts, lightning flashing in the sky. White against the gray-blue swath, momentarily brightening the area. She could see the whites of the horses liquid brown eyes. Raw terror. They could sense what she was able to, only their reaction was far more extreme. To them, it was fight or flight. Selena jumped back as Epona landed, her shod hooves sliding. The young woman's borrowed cloak slapped against her legs, already dripping.

"Steady, girl, steady," Link soothed, his grip on the reins firm as he ran a gauntleted hand down her trembling neck. Epona's nostrils were flared, her ears flattened against her head. The green clad warrior glanced at Zelda as she dismounted, barely balancing herself as she landed next to her prancing steed.

Selena hesitated, moving towards the dimly lit tunnel. With each passing moment, the sense was going stronger. If it was whom she was searching for, her quest was complete. "Do what you can for them - I need to see something," the mediocre mage called, taking another step back.

"Hold a moment! We are accompanying you," Link returned sharply, pulling his mare's reins as he moved into a brisk jog. Kent paused, before coaxing Elare to follow with Zelda not far behind. Slick mud splashed around boots and hooves alike as they moved towards the large wooden structure. Selena sighed as she stepped out of the rain, unable to block out the persistent prodding. No more than settled against the roughly hewn wall did she shift her weight, antsy. She shook her head, wringing out her long electrum tresses. Water streamed onto the floor, pooling at her feet. The young woman tensed, hand falling to the cold hilt of her rapier as her companions returned. Again, it had strengthened. "They are out of the rain and secure. We should continue," the swordsman breathed, starting to unsheathe his blade until Zelda signaled for him to halt.

"Admittedly, I am a novice in what I am about to suggest, but it is far faster: Teleportation," she concluded, steadily meeting their gazes. "If we combine our energy, I should be able to manage it."

"Yes, Princess," Kent murmured, nodding as he extended a hand. He motioned for Link to join the small circle, to fill the vacancy between Zelda and Selena. His fingers curled around the duo's hands as they placed their palms in his, the entire group soon linking hands.

"There are drawbacks to teleportation, but the situation calls for it," the young woman cautioned, before closing her eyes. Ancient Hylian, barely audible, soon drifted to their ears.

Selena slowly inhaled, before focusing. A faint golden-white aura appeared, Zelda's words slowly taking form. She stiffened when the Princess paused for a breath, feeling the magical toll. Yet the aura flared when the Light mage resumed the spell. It lit the tunnel, suddenly flashing.

Rain pounded them once more, lightning streaking across the sky. The small group was sprawled on the ground, slightly dazed. A driving sheet poured across the wearied Hylians backs, startling them out of their stupor. Selena glanced up, hearing a metallic grating. Her eyes widening in shock.

A deadly dance of steel on steel was mere feet from them, calm resignation given in their outward appearances. One of which she was able to recognize. Kain. She felt Kent tense beside her, his still firm grip tightening subconsciously.

"I do not suppose you took long enough," the mercenary's foe drawled, sidestepping as he glanced past Selena. His ebony locks were plastered to his tanned face, the equally dark tunic clinging to the chain mail underneath.

"As spry as ever, I see …" Link commented dryly, straitening. Selena suddenly stepped back. Kain lunged. Saber and longsword clashed in front of them, glinting.

Scarlet suddenly spattered the flagstone.

Author's Note:

And here we are, the end of Part I. This chapter was a bit longer than the rest, by about three pages, so I apologize for the inconsistency. But I hope you enjoyed it.

I want to thank all of my readers so far, and to let you know that I appreciate all of your comments and opinions. Also, while the first Part didn't exactly have but a few hints at pairings, it's safe to say that sparks start flying (Generally, too. Isn't group conflict fun?).

Out of curiosity, I do have a few questions for my readers and possible lurkers.

1) Who is your favorite character so far, and why?

2) If you have a favorite Chapter of Part I, which was it?

3) What would you be looking forward to?

While those are completely optional, the extra feedback is always helpful. Hope to talk to everyone soon. ^_^

*huggles*

Last edited by a moderator:
*Walks out of the shadows*

I suppose you are not going to allow me to lurk forever in the tides of darkness that is 'CLC Lurking', without a review anyway. Be that as it may, you'll have to forgive my ongoing flow of words, for I have been known to overwrite. I also feel talking formally suits both the story and review, since I am being sincere in this reply.

Kent would be my favorite thus far. Of course I love Link as well, but who doesn't love the Hero of Time. I believe it best to pick a character that you, yourself, have spawned from the void of originality; and I choose Kent.

Kent is a man of many things. Brave, kind, witty, and so much more. He is the one character that hooks my attention as I read, Selena does as well, but Kent has a certain spark in him; I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so. It may be because I'm a sucker for the sword-bearing knights and warriors in stories, but Kent brings a new twist into such a role. I cannot wait to see how you further his development.

Dark Reflections was by far my favorite chapter in Part I. Not only was it a great way to close the certain on Part I, but the words within it held so much to fool the mind's eye. Anything could happen after this, I'm expecting only greatness.

I love all of your chapters, but this one was just ecstatically beautiful. From the hints of blossoming feeling, to the tension of the group being cornered. I swear, no one can read this and say anything less then 'brilliant'.

3)
What would you be looking forward to?

Honestly, since this is so typical of my simple nature, I am most looking forward to the romance you will be furthering on. Whether you make it clash, stay in one place, or keep it secure, I cannot wait for the romance. I know you'll do a great job of making it interesting, as well as keeping the actual 'fluff' romantic and poetic.

Heh, my first CLC Review. I hope it is to your liking, Moonlight. I really do enjoy this fannovel, I just never think to leave a comment because they will all end up this long. I'm looking forward to Part II, extensively.

-Kazea

Sir Red

Charms' Caped Crusader
Wow, that was probably my favorite chapter thus far. It had everything a reader could ask for. Great description, character development and inner struggles, awkward romance, action, and a sword fight in the rain. Terrific.

What a cliff-hanger you leave us with; I'm incredibly interested to see who comes out victorious in this duel.

This is a terrific story thus far, Moon. I applaud all of the time and effort that you put into your work, and as your faithful reader, I'd like to thank you. I'm eagerly awaiting Part II.

P.S.: As for your questions, well, I'll possibly anwser them later. (If you're nice to me. :p)

*Walks out of the shadows*

I suppose you are not going to allow me to lurk forever in the tides of darkness that is 'CLC Lurking', without a review anyway. Be that as it may, you'll have to forgive my ongoing flow of words, for I have been known to overwrite. I also feel talking formally suits both the story and review, since I am being sincere in this reply.

Kent would be my favorite thus far. Of course I love Link as well, but who doesn't love the Hero of Time. I believe it best to pick a character that you, yourself, have spawned from the void of originality; and I choose Kent.

Kent is a man of many things. Brave, kind, witty, and so much more. He is the one character that hooks my attention as I read, Selena does as well, but Kent has a certain spark in him; I'm sure I'm not the only one who thinks so. It may be because I'm a sucker for the sword-bearing knights and warriors in stories, but Kent brings a new twist into such a role. I cannot wait to see how you further his development.

Dark Reflections was by far my favorite chapter in Part I. Not only was it a great way to close the certain on Part I, but the words within it held so much to fool the mind's eye. Anything could happen after this, I'm expecting only greatness.

I love all of your chapters, but this one was just ecstatically beautiful. From the hints of blossoming feeling, to the tension of the group being cornered. I swear, no one can read this and say anything less then 'brilliant'.

3)
What would you be looking forward to?

Honestly, since this is so typical of my simple nature, I am most looking forward to the romance you will be furthering on. Whether you make it clash, stay in one place, or keep it secure, I cannot wait for the romance. I know you'll do a great job of making it interesting, as well as keeping the actual 'fluff' romantic and poetic.

Heh, my first CLC Review. I hope it is to your liking, Moonlight. I really do enjoy this fannovel, I just never think to leave a comment because they will all end up this long. I'm looking forward to Part II, extensively.

-Kazea

*glomp*

And you emerge! I'm just kidding, but I appreciate that you came to comment/review. ^_^

Thanks for such an indepth one, too. And, if you want to, you don't have to worry about me being upset with long comments. They're always helpful. *huggles*

I hope that Part II will live up to your expectations. Also, you can expect a clash coming in the near future in CLC's chapters.

Well, I hope to talk to you soon, Kazea. *huggles again* ^_^

[quote author=RedRising24 link=topic=6296.msg111445#msg111445 date=1246562828]
Wow, that was probably my favorite chapter thus far. It had everything a reader could ask for. Great description, character development and inner struggles, awkward romance, action, and a sword fight in the rain. Terrific.

What a cliff-hanger you leave us with; I'm incredibly interested to see who comes out victorious in this duel.

This is a terrific story thus far, Moon. I applaud all of the time and effort that you put into your work, and as your faithful reader, I'd like to thank you. I'm eagerly awaiting Part II.

P.S.: As for your questions, well, I'll possibly anwser them later. (If you're nice to me. :p)
[/quote]

Heh, glad you liked it. That also happens to be one of my favorite combination, actually.

With any luck, Part II will be equally entertaining to you, Red. And, yes, the last three chapters have taken more time than anything else. (Much like the chapter I'm currently on, XD).

Re-P.S: Hmm ... *glances around* ... *glomp*! Does that count? ^_^

Psycho Monkey

Damn. Just damn. I don't even know where to begin on how great this chapter is so I'll just skip ahead to the questionarre.

Definately Kain. He embodies wild destruction and violence which is always fun, not to mention his essence is dark enough to scare Selena. Unlike the 'good guys' Kain hasn't had as much developement leaving him a mystery which inturn draws my curiosity. Also, I'm still interested in finding out who his employer is. ^^

All of them!^^ You are so amazing, and this fic so facinating and well written that it is near impossible for me to pick just one!

Finding out who Kain's employer is, more about Kain in general, the conclusion of this battle you've set up for us, and basically all of Part II!

Congradulations you have made me a fanboy. XD

Damn. Just damn. I don't even know where to begin on how great this chapter is so I'll just skip ahead to the questionarre.

Definately Kain. He embodies wild destruction and violence which is always fun, not to mention his essence is dark enough to scare Selena. Unlike the 'good guys' Kain hasn't had as much developement leaving him a mystery which inturn draws my curiosity. Also, I'm still interested in finding out who his employer is. ^^

All of them!^^ You are so amazing, and this fic so facinating and well written that it is near impossible for me to pick just one!

Finding out who Kain's employer is, more about Kain in general, the conclusion of this battle you've set up for us, and basically all of Part II!

Congratulations you have made me a fanboy. XD

Wow, XD.

I have to say I wasn't expecting something of this caliber, Monkey. I'm glad that you're enjoying CLC that much, though. ^_^

Your answers are certainly interesting, too. Not many people would lean towards Kain, but he does have his draw, doesn't he? I'm hoping that Part II will live up to your expectations, too.

Well, I guess I'll talk to you soon (either when you update your fic, or when I finish Chapter XIII).

*glances around, and sneaks out back door of thread holding CLC's binder*
(Yeah ... The whole - Meaning there's apparently more than one, O.o - fan thing cropped up last night. XD)

Thread revival okay'd by Sem in the "Welcome Back" thread (Scroll up a bit to see permissions/conversation), so I'm putting up an update now.

Chapter XIII: Interlopers is getting close to being done, but since it has taken so long, I'll be putting up my favorite section. Please feel free to post your thoughts and comments. ^_^

Steel clanged against unyielding stone, the edge of Kent's longsword slicing through the unfastened collar of Kain's shirt. The soaked cloth hung limply, the gleaming blade less than a hand away from the felled mercenary's throat. "Well done, little brother. I do not suppose you assume you can kill me?" the umber tressed warrior inquired calmly from his place on the flagstone, amusement persisting in his tone.

"You are hardly in the position to doubt my capabilities," the young man returned quietly, lightly touching the tip of his weapon to the side of Kain's throat. The said mercenary tilted his head slightly, ignoring the bombardment of cold droplets.

"Ah, I was rather questioning your resolve, my mercifully weak brother ... I do believe your dear mother rubbed off on you before she passed," Kain mused sadistically, holding Kent's gaze as his sibling's dripping frame went rigid. Raw anger sparked in his eyes, much to Kain's amusement.

Silver and emerald crackled, a thin but shallow gash appearing over the still healing one at Kain's throat. Scarlet recolored the glistening tip of the Knight's blade, drawing a slight intake of breath from the sodden mercenary. "A wise man knows when to hold his tongue, whilst a foolish one wags it at every chance. You should know what I am capable of ... Especially what with your goading at my companions," Kent said softly, barely audible as dark crimson steadily continued to stain the deepening water.

A burst of violet cast its hue upon the duo in a heated gust, three pained cries raking across his ears. Fire suddenly glanced across his upper thigh as he shifted his weight, his traveling gaze swiveling.

And this chapter is finally done ... I can't believe it took me so long ... Well, now the unofficial hiatus is over. So, with hopes that everyone hasn't lost interest, here it is.

As a note, this chapter was dubbed "Interlopers" for the happenings at the very end of it. I hope that you find it enjoyable. *Huggles*

~ ~ ~ ~ ~

Part II - Chapter XIII: Interlopers

Cold rainwater slid down Kent's crimson tainted blade, rage crackling in his hardened emerald gaze. "I have seen far too much of your traitorous hide as of late," he hissed, venom lacing his tone. Hatred underlain the calmness of his voice, his half brother's blood slowly sliding from his sword. A long gash now ran up the mercenary's forearm. One that appeared to be deep.

Astonishment and pain reflected in Kain's steely eyes, soon regaining control of himself. "A noble Knight, striking without proper reason? How shameful," the sellsword drawled, mocking. He immediately stepped back, easily evading the responsive lunge.

"… Oh, I have my reasoning … Especially as of our latest encounter, half brother," Kent said quietly, eyes narrowing as his companions moved back several steps. He raised his longsword as Kain leveled the curved saber, moving into an offensive position. Water splashed around his boots, their blades gleaming in a flash of light. A roll of thunder pealed overhead, a gust of wind rustling the sodden trees that towered around them.

"It wouldn't happen to be your original companion, would it? Selena, I believe you called her," Kain added, nodding behind the young Knight. The umber haired mercenary paused, noticing his younger sibling bristle. "… It would be such a shame if something happened … And I am being so rude, ignoring them. I cannot have them grow bored, can I?" he queried, fingers twitching. Dark Energy sparked.

Kent lunged.

Link paused as the original duelist joined them, noticing Selena tense. The young woman immediately moved back when Kent lunged a third time. Intimidated? Or wary?

"Need I know why supposed kin is battling to such an extreme?" a calm, masculine voice inquired from beside them. Whilst the ebony tressed warrior's tone was nonchalant, his point was clear enough.

"It is a highly sensitive subject between them," Zelda murmured, nodding in greeting to their jet eyed ally, though shooting a smoldering glare over her shoulder. "… Where have you been, Shadow?"

"Termina," he said shortly, jaw clenching as he moved beside Selena to better observe the duel. His dark eyed gaze was hardened, ignoring the cold rainwater that ran down his tanned face and soaked his garments. "… It has suffered the same fate as Lyrako."

The green clad swordsman's eyes widened at his companion's statement, swallowing. A mere summary from their youngest companion had been enough to chill him to the bones … Yet, the same happening to Termina clearly stated the creatures were well controlled, and had an apparently concealed goal.

He paused, starting to speak, before he was cut off by Selena. The young mage shook her head, what was behind her gaze alone silencing him. Unlike Shadow's hardened, almost stony stare, her eyes had an almost frosted sheen in them. Her petite frame had gone rigid. "What is it?" he queried, adjusting the grip on his blade warily. The trio surrounding her hesitated, uncertain.

"Move — Now!" the young woman said sharply, her unusual tone startling them. Glinting claws suddenly swung at them, appearing with several chilled bursts of black-violet light. Sleet fell into the water as they collided with a shimmering silver-blue barrier. Bits of glowing aura fell, and vanished. "… Droids," Selena stated quietly as her shield vanished, flickering slightly.

Link immediately unsheathed his blade, moving into an offensive stance. Unyielding lavender eyes pierced through him, raw hatred crackling in its pupilless depths. The hilt suddenly grew warm under his grip, searing through the leather of his gauntlets as he shifted his weight. His icy blue gaze widening in astonishment, realizing their location.

The Sacred Grove.

His grip on the Master Sword tightened, the increasingly heated hilt trouncing soundly on his nerves. Why was it reacting so strongly? Even at Ordonna's Spring, it hadn't grown to the point of nearly burning the wielder. He sharply raised the blessed steel, stepped back. Curved claws slid across his blade, slick with the cold liquid. Was it the droids, being so close to the pedestal? If so, there was already but one option: Rid the area of the vile creatures.

He lunged, bringing his weapon across the droid's lean torso. "I hope you are prepared to whet your blade, Shadow," Link said tersely as the one he struck burst into ash, the now angled rain driving soot against him. The icy eyed swordsman flinched, the murky substance burning where it connected with bare skin. Link swallowed, hastily rubbing it on his garments. The saturated beige fabric immediately grew heated against him, before cooling under the rainfall. Link stiffened slightly, unnerved.

Shadow stepped beside him, raising his glinting blade in anticipation. His ebony gaze was hardened, scarlet sparking in his black depths. "Keep in mind that these beasts are not what they seem," he returned venomously, glancing at his own ‘kin' momentarily as one struck, sharply bringing the longsword across its back. More soot spattered the flagstone, slipping away under the relentlessly coming fall. The dark warrior leveled his tempered steel once more, glaring daggers at the advancing droids. "I trust you've faced these before?" Shadow queried shortly, glancing towards the green clad swordsman. His counterpart.

Link nodded, his icy blue gaze flickering towards his companions. A vivid burst of cobalt suddenly cut through the odd darkness, Selena's magical aura causing the droids to hiss in annoyance. Shadow suddenly tensed when a barrier appeared over Kent, hearing a sharp oath from the sellsword when his saber connected. And it was obvious that the mage's single interference had halted an open strike. The young woman suddenly jumped back, narrowly evading a set of lethal, curved claws. A faint aura reappeared, drawing the mercenary's gaze towards her.

Shadow's eyes narrowed, scarlet flaring in his black depths when yet more droids turned on the young mage. "Pathetic," he growled, disgust dripping from his tone. "One would assume a mercenary of sorts would be capable of handling himself."

"Restrain yourself. This is Kent's battle," Link admonished, gesturing towards the duel. He moved towards Selena after a moment, prepared to step in should she falter. The white-gold aura of Light suddenly flared behind them, a shimmering sphere hurling past the duo. Link half-turned, adjusting his grip on the Master Sword's heated hilt.

Zelda's sapphire-liked gaze was focused on the remaining droids, level with their lilac glare. Light magic was resonating from her slender rapier, glowing. Her loose braid hung over her shoulder, lithe form thoroughly soaked. Apprehension was visible, causing the masculine duo to follow her steady stare. "It seems we've a bit of a problem," the Princess said pointedly, unnerved.

Two of the droids were in the process of fusing, their sharply cut crystals melding into a single smooth oval. Rather like the ones that had struck Ordonna's spring, yet somewhat smaller. A feature that would prove helpful, if they were to succeed in defeating it. Link's jaw clenched. "Come! Unless you'd rather repeat the last battle, work as one," the swordsman cautioned, motioning Selena nearer to Zelda. If anything, their magical poweress would strengthen their defenses.

Lightening suddenly leapt across the sky, a loud clap of thunder causing the freshly formed droid to hiss. Unchecked agitation was already clear, its harshly curved claws glinting. Maroon aura sparked from them, small dents sizzling into the sodden flagstone as it hit the ground.

Shadow immediately tensed, the bits of scarlet rage in his gaze bursting into full existence. He immediately raised his black hilted longsword, equal hatred reflecting in his own eyes — Now blazing rubies, all ebony calm shattered. The dark warrior lunged, a blazing crimson aura appearing around his steel blade. But was easily pushed back when it swung out, the heels of his boots sliding. Scarlet and maroon licked at the rain-trodden air, battling for supremacy. Blazing with more than the heat of battle. Shadow's crimson eyes flashed with aggravation, jumping back when it lashed out once more.

Footsteps were barely audible behind them, both pale blue and faint cobalt light appearing. "… If we may?" Selena offered quietly behind them, though moving to the side.

"Have you something in mind?"

The electrum tressed maiden nodded, glancing at the Princess. Zelda's Light magic seemed to pale her natural affinity to her patron Goddess, her pale blue glow nearly white. "A thought," she affirmed curtly, too focused on the task at hand to bother with formalities. The young woman usually level gaze had hardened to a harsh glare, nearly as piercing as the droid's. Zelda suddenly lashed out, striking with her youngest companion. The droid hissed as varying blue spheres struck, colliding with the maroon aura that formed around its claws. They fragmented, shattered pieces pounding against the creature's charcoal gray hide, searing where it touched a sizzling silver. Its claws extended further, making it clear the wounds were fodder on the fire.

Kent stumbled back, balance faltering as he threw his arm out. The Knight immediately winced, pulling himself upright to meet his advancing half brother. He shifted his weight, moving back a step as Kain's gaze drifted to the separate battle behind them. The warrior immediately shifted his focus back to Kent when the longsword glinted, smirking. "Is something wrong with your shoulder, little brother?" he queried calmly, his tone carrying the air of amusement, motioning towards the one Kent was using to balance himself.

The onyx tressed Knight stiffened, eyes narrowing. "I would presume you know," Kent returned sharply, glaring daggers at the mercenary. Unexpected calm remained about the duo, though alert hostility belied every movement. Deepening water splashed around their boots as they moved, almost surpassing the heels on their boots.

Kain shrugged after a moment, adjusting his grip on his curved saber. "… Perhaps," he chided, malice tainting his superior tone. "Out of curiosity, why do you dance around my name?" the mercenary inquired, something akin to childish glee touching his impassive glower as he raised his weapon. He immediately moved left, towards Kent's already aching shoulder — As well as towards his companions.

"Because it is not worth my breath," Kent spat, raw irritation blazing in his eyes and stance as he feinted to the right. He brought the gleaming blade up, only to meet an unyielding steel saber. The young Knight sidestepped, striking vehemently when Kain's focus faltered.

"Oh, testy, aren't you? What have I told you about allowing your emotions to control your actions?" the mercenary taunted, superioty lacing his infuriatingly calm tone — Countering the advancing longsword in one sweeping motion, staving it off mere inches from his own shoulder. A low chuckle escaped his lips when Kent pressed forward again, persistent when his gaze shifted to the other duel. Tightening the grip on his blade, anticipating. Eager.

The young Knight's jaw clenched, a strangled oath escaping his lips. "You seem to be developing an unhealthy interest in my companions — An interest that may very well result in you no longer breathing in the near future," he added, a Gerudo adder no less venomous. Dangerous calm now reigned his tone, the young man jumping back to avoid his opponent's stab.

"Is that so?" Kain challenged, more amused than all else. The crossing of swords, the growing bursts of magic. Both were becoming consistently nearer, the sounds raking across their ears. A slight smile tugged at the corner of his mouth as he brought his saber back, lancing it forward to recapture his sibling's interest. Concern flitted across his younger half-brother's expression, several splashes of water disproportionate to footsteps and an undeniable but muffled cry of pain audible. Sickly shades of pink were now billowing through the water, seeping from a felled companion. Annoyance sparked in Kain's eyes when an uncomfortably familiar barrier flared.

Kent swallowed, his alert glower only intensifying. "… I would not suggest that …" he stated quietly, a low snarl beginning to curl around his words. "Not unless you place little value in your throat."

At that, his opponent outright chuckled, making no attempt to quell his amusement. "Oh, come now — She is barely a woman. Surely you could find one better suited," the mercenary scoffed, thoroughly enjoying his half brother's reaction to a mere implication. Scarlet tinged the emerald eyed Knight's façade, the said Hylian's eyes narrowing.

Unusually visible irritation licked at the young man, each passing moment of the duel fraying is calm. Fanning the flames of rage, only encouraging them whilst feeding the flower of concern. "She is not an object to toy with until you grow bored!" Kent lashed out, sidestepping as he lunged. He swept his leg under both of the mercenary's, misbalancing him as he brought his sword down.

Steel clanged against unyielding stone, the edge of Kent's longsword slicing through the unfastened collar of Kain's shirt. The soaked cloth hung limply, the gleaming blade less than a hand away from the felled mercenary's throat. "Well done, little brother. I do not suppose you assume you can kill me?" the umber tressed sellsword inquired calmly from his place on the flagstone, amusement persisting in his tone.

"You are hardly in the position to doubt my capabilities," the young man returned quietly, lightly touching the tip of his weapon to the side of Kain's throat. The said mercenary tilted his head slightly, ignoring the bombardment of cold droplets.

"Ah, I was rather questioning your resolve, my mercifully weak brother ... I do believe your dear mother rubbed off on you before she passed," Kain mused sadistically, holding Kent's gaze as his sibling's dripping frame went rigid. Raw anger sparked in his eyes, much to Kain's amusement.

Silver and emerald crackled, a thin but shallow gash appearing over the still healing one at Kain's throat. Scarlet recolored the glistening tip of the Knight's blade, drawing a slight intake of breath from the sodden mercenary. "A wise man knows when to hold his tongue, whilst a foolish one wags it at every chance. You should know what I am capable of ... Especially what with your goading at my companions," Kent said softly, barely audible as dark crimson steadily continued to stain the deepening water.

A burst of violet cast its hue upon the duo in a heated gust, three pained cries raking across his ears. Fire suddenly glanced across his upper thigh as he shifted his weight, his traveling gaze instinctively swiveling. The onyx tressed Knight staggered back as the saber made a return sweep, narrowly evading it and sizzling Dark Energy as Kain retaliated. Taking advantage of the moment to pull himself to his feet.

"Blinded by your petty protectiveness and emotion, you allowed your guard to ship. Pity. You were actually proving to be a challenge," the elder sibling drawled, adjusting his grip on the saber as he lunged. Feinting towards the left, he immediately lashed out in an uppercut slice. Kain met Kent's unwavering glare with naught but an amused smirk, his own stare now devoid of nearly all emotion. The duo paused momentarily, the latter jerking back as Link hit the flagstone.

Eerie grating crept through the air as the blessed steel of the Master Sword's blade slid across the top of the pedestal, a low groan audible from the green clad swordsman as his weapon fell from his grip. The entire group suddenly stiffened when a glowing ring expanded from the pedestal itself, enveloping all six of them. Heat radiated inside of the rain trodden circle, silver runes spiraling outwards to the solid white edges. The droplets of cold water sizzled slightly as they connected, the ancient designs growing brighter with each passing moment.

Kent's gaze tentatively flicked to his companions, the droid temporarily forgotten — Only dancing at the back of their minds, keeping the group on the edge along with the odd feeling creeping through their tensed frames. Selena's eyes were trained on the ground, hesitantly shifting her weight as Link started to push himself up. A sudden hiss brought them back to attention, curling through the air. Shadow stepped forward, moving closer to Zelda in a single smooth motion.

The ring immediately began to shrink as the ashen creature lunged, a merciless grip far firmer than teleportation closing around his very core. Once dormant magic gave a startlingly sharp pull, knocking the wind out of them. Kent stumbled as the glow harshened, almost drawn towards the retracting aura. Another unforgiving yank left his vision swimming, denying the young Knight of any breath he'd regained.

Unconsciousness claimed him, concern and confusion lightly brushing his fleeting thoughts.

Psycho Monkey

:o Awesome battle is awesome! Honestly, I had to reread the last half of Chapter XII just to remember where everything left off since you ended on a cliff hanger over a month ago.

After that I was treated to the most amazing battle I've read in awhile, esspecially with the Droid fusion and how many times the fight between Kent and Kain turned around. I'm glad to see you didn't loose your touch over the break. It would be hypocritical of me to say hurry up with Chapter XIV, but that doesn't mean I won't be waiting.

:o Awesome battle is awesome! Honestly, I had to reread the last half of Chapter XII just to remember where everything left off since you ended on a cliff hanger over a month ago.

After that I was treated to the most amazing battle I've read in awhile, esspecially with the Droid fusion and how many times the fight between Kent and Kain turned around. I'm glad to see you didn't loose your touch over the break. It would be hypocritical of me to say hurry up with Chapter XIV, but that doesn't mean I won't be waiting.

^_^

*Super huggles*

Aww, thanks, Monkey. I really appreciate that you're still so interested in CLC, and that you're enjoying it so much.

And, as for Chapter XIV, I can tell you that it will shine some more light on the situation. Telling much more might be spoiling the story, but I can tell you that things will be spiced up now that Shadow has joined our little brigade. ^_^

My apologies about the delay between each chapter, though it is my hopes that you enjoy this one.

Chapter XIV: Fallen Astray

A low groan escaped Shadow's lips as he awakened, instinctively shifting. He gasped in astonishment as agony tore through is side, aching and torn muscles screaming in protest. The dark warrior's jet gaze snapped open as recent memories flooded his waking mind, jerking into a sitting position.

Placid gray stone met his startled stare, a gentle but startlingly firm grip closing on his shoulder. "Hold, please. You shall only tear your wound," a soft, wearied but unfamiliar feminine voice cautioned quietly from behind him.

Shadow immediately twisted, tensing. The young man hesitated upon recognizing the pale mage that had allied them earlier; But flinched away when she moved to touch the trio of gashes that tore through his aged chain mail and tunic, his dark eyed gaze hardening by engrained reaction. "And whom might you be?" Shadow queried, a low snarl accompanying his words.

She hesitated briefly, her soft cobalt gaze observing the warrior's rigid stance. A small sigh escaped her lips, slowly extending a hand. "... It's all right. I've no reason to harm or distrust you, despite what you apparently think ..." the electrum tressed maiden reasoned quietly, her level tone maintaining neutral grounds despite the alert hostility that lay claim to him. "... And my name is Selena," she offered softly, her gaze boring into him.

The dark warrior nodded after a long moment of edged indecision, slowly beginning to relax. Remaining vigilant enough, however, not to drop his guard entirely. Leaning back slightly, his eyes flicked about the structure they resided in. Fresh dawn light crept through the high arch of a window, casting its faint warmth about the room. Polished and smooth gray flagstone patterned the floor, whilst lighter marble decorated the sweeping walls of the entire large room.

Oddly motionless Hylian forms were visible no more than a horse-length away, resting on their backs. Varying articles of extra garments padded the backs of their heads, although the combined amount of scarlet stains drove what had happened ‘home'. The steady rise and fall of the trio's torsos assured him of their vitality, though dormant as his penetrating stare returned to the mage.

Although silent, something inclined him to place a margin of trust with her now. "… You cared for them?" he inquired quietly, brow arching in bemusement.

Selena nodded in return, her eyes falling to the floor. Hands now clasped in her lap, the mage in a kneeling position, a larger and gustier sigh reached his ears. "… Yes … But we do not belong here. None of us … Our essences do not dance to this tune, to phrase it simply …" the young maiden added softly, eyes closing as she pushed herself up. Yet, not without noticing Shadow bristle once more, wary.

"Essences — You can sense them?" the dark warrior snapped, unnerved. Why she did not smite him at first opportunity confounded him, if she truly could. Yet, the levelness of her tone held conviction and calmness.

"It is true, yes. While it is also true, as well as unchangeable, it sets no specific path," Selena offered by way of explanation, apparently referencing him as her eyes reopened, turning. Crimson tainted her façade when she noticed both the Princess and apparent Knight that Link had identified as Kent had awakened, now in a sitting position, observing in near silence. The latter nodded to them, before pushing himself up.

"You needn't concern yourself of falsehoods," the onyx tressed Knight murmured to Shadow after a moment, offering a hand to Zelda. The Princess grasped it after brief hesitation, allowing herself to be pulled to her feet. "… What did you mean, earlier? Our essences not belonging?" Kent queried quietly, his tone carrying bemusement.

Selena sighed as her gaze moved back to Shadow, whom was pushing himself up with a groan. "… Here, allow me," the electrum tressed mage intervened softly, lightly touching her palm to the arm that covered his wound. The young woman nodded slightly when he reluctantly complied, moving her hand to hover over it. Flickering silver-blue aura appeared, a soothingly gentle magic slowly seeping into it. "… One might say that we are outsiders. We simply do not belong," Selena murmured, her petite frame wavering slightly.

The dark warrior winced as he pulled away, brushing her hand aside. Although a fair amount had been tended to, it was still sensitive. "While I appreciate your concern, you're about to fall asleep on your feet. When this weary, you are little more than a self threat," Shadow said brusquely, tone guarded. His jet gaze narrowed slightly when the Knight's brow arched, silently regarding one another.

Zelda stepped forward after a moment, intercepting before the exchange turned. "Perhaps we should move Link elsewhere?" the Princess inquired pointedly, motioning towards the archway as well as the coming sounds. Although outwardly calm, a subtle mix of emotion belied the guise, visible even to Shadow.

"Of course. My apologies," Selena whispered, scarlet once again touching her features. She paused when she noticed Kent's quizzical gaze, her own falling to the floor once more. "… What is it?"

A somewhat bemused sigh was audible from the Knight as Shadow moved towards Link, habit alone causing him to watch out of the corner of his eye. Kent took a step forward, though it was apparent he was favoring a leg slightly. Judging from the thin scarlet streak and grip in the thigh of his trousers, it was obvious he remained a bit sore from having the wound closed so abruptly. "Selena, why are you apologizing? … We did not even know you held affinities towards healing. I appreciate your efforts …" Kent said gently, briefly bowing his head.

The jet eyed swordsman shrugged in independent half agreement, though quirking a brow when Kent lifted the green-clad warrior onto his back as he knelt; only pausing as he started to stand. Sighing, Shadow turned towards Zelda. "It would probably be a wise idea to depart, now. The sooner we find out where this is, the better," he pointed out nonchalantly, though his tone was edged with impatience as he shifted his weight, left hand toying with the smooth hilt of his weapon.

"Quite true, as I would rather avoid trouble," the mage commented, nodding to her companions. Outwardly calm, though clearly musing as they fell in step behind Selena. The heels of their boots resonated on the stone as they began moving, blending and somewhat muffled from their mismatched strides.

Shadow's dark stare traveled with their motions, vaguely interested in the delicate runes that curled around the arched doorway. He continued with another shrug, however, upon deciding that they did not appear similar in design. Wondering at the back of his mind if the ‘unreadable' runes held importance or simple happenstance. The young warrior paused when their female companions lightly pushed against the elegantly carven wooden door, iron bound hinges creaking through the morning. Now strong amber light pierced through the pale white swaths of clouds, soothing heat dancing across Shadow's skin as he emerged. With another slight creak, the door proceeded to swing shut as Kent joined them.

His gaze momentarily sweeping over the Link once more affirmed his thoughts, although admittedly reluctant to pursue them. Shadow's jaw clenched at the proposition of requesting assistance, or anything of the like, jet eyes hardening. Inability in healing arts only seemed to prod him, hardly assisting the warrior's temperament. Yet the mild simmering all but ceased when an unfamiliar pair of voices reached his ears, footsteps audible on the well tended cobblestone path.

"Move!" he hissed, urging their group towards the near cluster of towering pines. Fresh wounds being brought to attention was hardly was they needed. The young man stiffened slightly when the voiced neared, taking matters into his own hands by promptly pushing them forward. Thin undergrowth rustled as the group stumbled into it, the short green sprigs of wild mint coming as a welcome revelation. He slowly inhaled the refreshing scent as he ducked under a low branch, though pausing upon hearing Link's low groan.

The dark warrior turned after a moment, listening intently. Shadow could feel his companions eyes upon his back, nodding to himself when the voices all but vanished. "… While I realize your point, Shadow, we cannot remain in the wood. We have naught to finish tending the wounds with, unfortunately," Zelda said pointedly when he turned back, glancing at Kent and Link's half conscious frame across his back. Concern was readily visible in her sapphire gaze; although her tone made it clear she was taking responsibility for the group in some manner or another.

Shadow nodded again in acknowledgment, his jet stare immediately shifting when the pale mage stepped forward. He shook his head before Selena could speak, silencing her. "Do not waste your energy more than you already have. I would rather not have another out of commission; Especially seeing as it weakens us as a group and separately," the young man said blandly, though pausing when her gaze fell.

"I only wish to help, Shadow," Selena said quietly, idly tapping the heel of her boot against a sturdy, moss blanketed tree trunk as she spoke. She hesitantly glanced back up, feeling his bemusement. The young woman's gaze flicked to the right as Shadow started to speak, piquing his interest.

Link had now fully awakened, observing his surroundings as Kent lowered him to the ground. The tan fabric of Kent's shirt slid back some as he did so, the young Knight flinching when he started to straighten. A livid crimson scar was carved into both sides of his shoulder. Kent quickly finished pushing himself up upon noticing his companion's steady gazes, specifically avoiding Selena's as he shifted the material back over it. "Are you all right, Link?" Kent inquired after a moment, meeting the swordsman's steady gaze as he spoke.

"Well enough, I suppose … Where are we, might I ask?" Link added, shifting as to relieve the pressure of bark against the only partially closed wound in his side.

"Hyrule proper, naturally," an unfamiliar feminine voice returned, causing the entire group to tense as they pivoted to face it. Puzzlement clouded the mage's eyes as she glanced at her companions, shaking her head. Shadow immediately drew his blade, nodding in silent agreement as Kent withdrew his longsword from the sheath at his side.

"Would you care to show yourself now?" Zelda queried calmly, golden-white aura briefly flickering at her palm.

"Oh, come now. I was only answering your question, outsiders. If you insist, though …" she said, her tone carrying equal calm as her voice trailed off. Branches not far overhead suddenly began bobbing, leaves rustling as a slender figure dropped down from them, landing in a kneeling position. Dark ebony locks fell to her shoulders in a single smooth wave, a long fringe almost reaching her umber eyes as she looked up. A slight smile tugged at the corner of her mouth as she stood, vaguely amused. "I would not lower myself as to attack the wounded. You may lower your weapons," she scoffed, half commanding as her eyes narrowed at their offensive stances. One bronzed hand warningly hovered over a long, curved dagger tucked in her belt.

Selena stepped forward in response, holding her palms upwards at her sides. "We learn naught with aggression … Please, do as she says …" the young woman murmured, nodding to her companions. Whilst her tone was firm, bemusement still clung to it, lost in thought.

"… You do make a fair point. However, we cannot risk it entirely. Kent, Shadow," Zelda added, nodding. The Knight slowly complied, allowing his readied stance to relax as the tip of his longsword tilted downwards. Shadow merely lowered his sword arm, shifting his weight. "Does this meet your satisfaction?" the Princess queried, levelly observing the arrival.

Although the woman's stance was lax, her alert umber gaze said nothing of the sort. Oddly enough, her ebony tresses were sliced even with the tops of her shoulders and loose, like that of a male noble. Late morning light danced across her almost bronze skin as it darted through the thick canopy of leaves. She then nodded, allowing her hands to simply hang at her sides. A light breeze toyed with the rough material of her sleeveless black tunic and trousers, thin chainmail underneath the former clearly glinting.

"Yes, it does. I am curious, however — How is it you do not know where you are, in such a well known place, yet your whole company is clearly wounded or utterly exhausted?" she queried, brow arching as she shifted her weight. "You clearly came from battle; there is little point in denying that."

Selena paused at her words, glancing back. "… You do realize what this could mean?" the mage whispered, gesturing to their surroundings. None of which that were familiar. They slowly nodded, Shadow himself running his gauntleted fingers through his still damp locks.

"Where is Kain, Selena?" Kent inquired stiffly, finally speaking of what was weighting his mind. Shadow hesitated, his gaze remaining trained on the arrival. The mercenary would still seek bloodshed if he knew they had survived. Of that, he was certain. After all, had he not known similarities?

"… I can only assume. It is possible that we were separated during the jump, considering our distance when I first awakened," Selena shrugged, only further garnering the arrival's interest. She turned back to face her, though vaguely flustered upon noticing her bemusement.

"Well, if you're through, do keep in mind that your wounds may become infected if left open. I would advise that you follow me," the ebony tressed warrior added, her tone calm but admittedly curious. Even so, her point was painfully clear.

Zelda moved forward after a moment, motioning for the others to remain. "I do offer my apologies, but would you consider it wise to immediately follow the first being one encounters?" the Princess queried, levelly meeting the arrival's gaze.

"True enough. However, does anyone in your company have the slightest idea of this area? Apparently not."

"Might we know your name, then?"

"Lynnette," the bronzed female returned, unfazed by the exchange.

Shadow moved to the side after a moment, pulling Link to his feet. "As much as it pains me to intrude, useless banter does not get us anywhere. If we are going, then we may as well depart some time in the near future," the dark warrior said bluntly, tone comparable to that of a dull axe. He winced when the green clad warrior deliberately trod across his boot, glaring at him as he rested all of his weight on it. "Off," Shadow hissed under his breath, annoyed at his counterpart's hinting to control his tongue.

Link chuckled shortly, before shifting his weight. "I suppose it would not hurt, providing it is not somewhere we must go unarmed," he said to Lynette, nodding. The warrior briefly inclined her head in acknowledgment, turning on her heel.

Kent straightened when the arrival turned, having caught himself slouching. A small sigh escaped his lips as he combed his fingers through his still damp onyx tresses, edged frustration only growing. It was clear he should have ended the duel when he had the chance, rather than let himself be manipulated like a fool. Kain may have known which barrel held the fish, but he himself had a fair idea where the second barrel was.

The young Knight paused momentarily when Selena had fallen to the back of the group with im, before picking up the pace once more. His gaze remained on the sparse but apparent trail as Lynette wound her way thought, listening to Shadow aimlessly kick a rock along with them. He flinched when her hand touched his already tender shoulder, before finally meeting her eyes. "What is it?" Kent queried, quirking a brow.

Selena's eyes fell to the roots as they ducked under a low branch, allowing her hand to fall. "… I may not be able to heal an already closed wound, but I can soothe it to a certain point …" she murmured, hands now clasped in front of her.

"You have already tended to everyone's wounds, Selena. I cannot ask that you use more energy simply for comfort purposes," he returned quietly, although a bit bemused by her offer, considering her clear weariness. If she used much more magic, there was a faint possibility of what had happened the other day returning.

"Perhaps that is so. However, there are hardly an herbs at hand … I do realize that I am not much help to your troubles, but please allow me to assist where I can," Selena said with equal softness, barely audible. "Here …" she whispered, gently resting her palm against the back of his shoulder, a pale silver-blue aura flickering into existence.

His pace slowed slightly when it began taking affect, stiff and knotted muscles beginning to relax. The once spliced section gratefully clung to the wisps of magic, despite Kent's attempts to ignore the soreness. Although the perpetual ache was receding, it seemed as it some of Selena's aura was actually setting in. The young mage's hand slid from his shoulder after a moment, falling back at her side as they continued. Kent gingerly rotated his shoulder, before briefly bowing his head towards her. "… Thank you, Selena," he murmured, offering a small smile.

Crimson lightly brushed her pale features, before fading as she mutely dipped her head in acknowledgment. Though apparently concerned, it was clear their situation weighed heavily upon her mind. The matter of return was certainly an issue … As was not eliminating oneself by accidentally altering the past. How they had fallen astray, into the tides of time, was a delicate question.

Kent's gaze drifted to the path ahead of them, observing his companions. Wounded and weary, their entire group suffered vulnerability. At the moment, all he could do was wait. Hope that the winds of sweet Farore would turn in their favor, before what little light they had was snuffed.