• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Love/Hate Movies, Books, Shows, etc.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
I blame the new Wolverine movie for this.

We all know about the whole "you'll either love it or hate it" mentality some movies, TV shows, books, games, and so on can gain. Reactions towards 'em seems to be either one extreme or the other with a small amount of people sitting on the fence.

Right now, I'm getting that sort of feel from the Wolverine movie. I've had some people say they loved it, others say it wasn't outstanding but still worth buying... and others who think it was horrible and not worth watching at all. Until I see it myself I can't form an opinion, but the reactions I'm getting when bringing it up are so varied it's almost funny.

Others I can think of off the top of my head are the Final Fantasy: Spirits Within movie and, to an extent, the Twilight series. I've met just as many people who adore Twilight as I have those who want it to burn xD

Any movies/books/games/shows/etc. that really stand out to you guys for having this love/hate sort of reaction?

One movie that comes to mind, for me at least, is District 9. I personally thought the movie was alright, it wasn't a bad movie.

Then there are people who loved it, I've been told it was the best movie ever by several of my friends. And another several people I know were so against that movie that they are almost at the point of being angry whenever you mention it. But there seems to be an almost equal amount of people on both sides of it.

Linkachu

Hero of Pizza
Staff member
Administrator
One movie that comes to mind, for me at least, is District 9. I personally thought the movie was alright, it wasn't a bad movie.

Then there are people who loved it, I've been told it was the best movie ever by several of my friends. And another several people I know were so against that movie that they are almost at the point of being angry whenever you mention it. But there seems to be an almost equal amount of people on both sides of it.

Damn. I wish I'd gotten the chance to see it myself while it was still in theatres, because yeah - I've had multiple people tell me it was one of the best movies of the year.

I actually haven't had anyone tell me they didn't like it... but considering how some people rave about it I wouldn't be surprised if the other end of the spectrum loathed its existence. Seems like the more one group loves something, the more the other despises it XP

I had this feeling with G-Force. I saw it on my birthday A couple months ago. I didn't think it was the best movie, but it was good.No one I know hated it though, that they told me at least. Kinda the same with Twilight. What ticks me off is the people who want it dead,,,and they haven't even given it a shot! They hear sparkly and vamps in the same sentence, and they turn it down before they try reading/watching it.

Anyway, thats it for me.

For me it has always been the second and third Matrix movies. :3

I loved the entire trilogy and got a lot of meaning and subterfuge out of the latter entries that a lot of people didn't. I won't argue the details with people as I have done it already with a few in chat, but lots of people seemed to just disregard the second and third movies as being overly wrought with confusing and pointless stuff happening. Meh... I will quit before I start rambling.

I do have to agree with Final Fantasy:Spirits Within but I think the biggest argument people have made why they hate it so much was that it really had no business having the FF tag on it. Other than that, it was a fairly good movie.

I do have to agree with Final Fantasy:Spirits Within but I think the biggest argument people have made why they hate it so much was that it really had no business having the FF tag on it. Other than that, it was a fairly good movie.

I think that the main reason that had a Final Fantasy tag on it was because the enemies looked exactly like Galbadian soldiers from FFVIII, at least if I remember correctly. (I haven't seen the movie in years.)

And as far as the Matrix trilogy is concerned, I liked the trilogy on a whole, but there are many people who would just as soon burn all copies of the second or third.

I feel the LotR trilogy was the same way, I'm in the middle on those movies. They were good, but not amazing, but I've seen both extremes. It seems like a common thing with trilogies. For instance, the Pirates of the Caribbean movies have the same love/hate scenario going on.

Withering Heights.

Did I say 'withering'? I meant Wuthering. Having done AS English Literature, it was one of our mandatory texts for study and, needless to say now, I detested the book. I didn't read it so much as drag myself through it at the bare minimum needed to be useful in class and hoped that in the end everyone would die a horrible, painful death. Thankfully we did the Merchant of Venice, so it's amusing (albeit childish) homoerotic undertones made everything bareable.

On District 9, I loved that film, but I can see why some people would find it so-so - the same for the Matrix (the first, not any of the sequels, as I can't really remember whether or not I've watched them); I suppose the problem with the Matrix is playing with the 'brain in a vat' epistemological theory and kung-fu fighting (they were as fast as lightning).

I hate Victor Hugo (for obvious reasons) but I also love his style and realism (yet also slightly fantastical convergance of chaos).

That movie paranormal activities movie I've been told many different things about it as a quasi visual aide I'd compare the reviews and opinions I heard about it to a political spectrum of Liberals and Conservatives and everything in between

One series I really hate as it's low-quality, but can't stop watching/reading is the Twilight series. I mean, Bella is a necrophiliac, Edward is abusive, etc., etc., etc., but the cheesy entertaining teen romance is perfect for wasting an evening.

Hopefully the werewolves in New Moon look cool. I was a little disappointed with the Twilight film, as Kristen Stewart and Taylor Lautner were 'meh' choices, and Esme's actress gave a sub-par performance, but the fight scene was cool, and the soundtrack wasn't bad.

Off the top of my head, I'd say Kung Fu Panda.
I enjoyed it so much that the second I finished it, I watched it all over again. It's just is such a feel-good film. :)
Other people I've met, however, have branded it the Generic CGI movie I thought it would be.
Also, although this isn't a movie as such, I would say the performance of Heath Ledger in The Dark Knight. My friends say he was awful, but me and a couple of others think he was pretty good. Still prefer Batman Begins though.