• Welcome back to Pokécharms! We've recently launched a new site and upgraded forums, so there may be a few teething issues as everything settles in. Please see our Relaunch FAQs for more information.

Liking Unpopular Pokemon

Hi, lately I've been seeing people bash a lot of the new Pokemon designs across many forums and websites, and it makes me kinda sad. I love a lot of the pokemon designs Gamefreak released! But it gave me a thought. I love a lot of Pokemon that plenty of people hate, whether it be for their poor competitive play, typing, or design. And I wanted to ask you all if there were any really disliked Pokemon that you personally liked!

For example, I really love Trubbish and Garbador! I think they're so cute! And Klinklang is one of my favorites. I'm mentioning them because I've seen a lot of negativity about them. But I really rather like these Pokemon!

Not to mention I'm very excited for all the new designs! Everything I've seen has done nothing but excite me!

Last edited:
For those of you that know me, you'll probably know by now that Virizion is my favourite Pokemon and has been my firm favourite for many years now. I'm not sure if it is hated, but it doesn't seem to be super popular in the fandom. It's very rare for me to come across someone who loves Virizion as much as I do or at least has it as one of their favourite Pokemon.
I love the Chespin line, especially Chesnaught.
All I see in online forums are people bashing them because their designs are 'crap',and because they are apparently 'super weak'. Well I think they have the best designs out of all the Kalos starters (except that I like Braixen more than Quilladin). Yeah, I think Chesnaught is better designed than Greninja and Delphox, and I find Chespin the cutest out of the Kalos starters by far.
I know that Chespin may not be the strongest starter out there, but my Chespin in Pokemon Y was awesome. I never found her to be weak at all.
I also really like Magby, Magmar, and Magmortar. I don't think I've ever seen anyone like them, but for me they are one of my top 5 favourite Fire-Type lines. I also find Magby absolutely adorable.

Last edited:
My top 10.
10: Zekrom
9: Quagsire
8: Latias
7: Venusaur
6: Tyranitar
5: Lapras
4: Rayquaza
3: Regice
2: Tepig
1: (Do I even need to say it?)
Half the Pokémon on here are very unpopular.

One of my favorites is Regice. When's the last time you've heard anything good about him?
Gen 3 metagame, then gen 4 came out and the physical/special split changed everything and regice became awful.... Moving on...

I'm a big fan of Klefki and Carbink. I know klefki is a bit marmite so not sure exactly how unpopular they are. Carbink on the other hand gets far too much abuse, personally I was ecstatic when i found out carbink break was being released in the tcg.
I'd always say your opinion of unpopular pokémon will entirely be based around the community you're a part of, I never knew anyone to like Bayleef until a certain Dr Oak...

I don't know the general community census on grimer/muk but I did love playing through one of my BW2 playthroughs with a Muk! I caught him as a grimer under castelia and called him sludgy, somehow it ended up being my main pokémon of the game. Funny what happens when you start a game with no clue on what you're going to use. I kinda wish the entire list of results from the recent poll in japan were available then I could literally have more of an idea if certain pokémon I like are unpopular or not. Then again, these polls are normally skewed by people trying to get a free arceus from the giveaway

KoL

Expert FPS Player
Staff member
Swalot.

I've always been quite fond of Swalot for its hilarious appearance along with its pre-evolution Gulpin, and I generally like Poison as a type anyway due to the immunity to, well, being poisoned, ability to absorb Toxic Spikes, general usefulness defensively and movepool versatility across the pool of Pokemon Poison-type has. Swalot tends to be widely ignored however despite all of this.

Two of my favorites are Jynx and Mr. Mime, and I usually hear nothing but people hating (or, more accurately, being creeped out by) them. Pokemon Stadium, especially, gave them a lot of personality, but even aside from that, they're both a lot of fun to use in-game - for Jynx in particular, Ice/Psychic is a pretty versatile type combination if you're looking to cover your bases, and for Mr. Mime, you can get him pretty early on in the game (admittedly at the expense of an Abra).

I mean, come on, how can you hate these:
256.gif
tumblr_n6kmbapz8K1ru09vqo1_500.gif

I don't know the general community census on grimer/muk but I did love playing through one of my BW2 playthroughs with a Muk! I caught him as a grimer under castelia and called him sludgy, somehow it ended up being my main pokémon of the game. Funny what happens when you start a game with no clue on what you're going to use.
I like Muk too. For some reason that pile of sludge just grew on me. Looks disgusting but it's good defensively and can hit stuff pretty hard. I feel the same about Weezing as well.

People seem to like Cubone/Marowak from an aesthetic standpoint, but I NEVER see either when battling. I like Marowak quite a bit, especially on my Trick Room team. The Thick Club makes it hit like a truck.

I haven't heard of too many people who like Arbok, but personally that cobra is one of my favorites! It's got a neat design and a great color (purple) as well as some pretty decent moves (Gunk Shot, Coil, EQ) to back up its decent stats. Sure, it's not going to take down legendaries, but Arbok is certainly a fun Pokemon to utilize in teams.

I'm also going to say that Pichu is okay. Sure, he's pretty useless in battle, but he's just too darn adorable to hate, and he is pretty iconic, if only because it looks similar to Pikachu.

It's always a kind of joke, how the gen. 1 starters are either Squirtle or Charmander, but I really like Bulbasaur. It's one of my favorite Grass-type starters, next to Chespin, who also doesn't get the love it really does deserve. What do people have against them, anyway? Their typing? If it's typing we're talking about, all the Fire/Fighting Poke's shouldn't be so popular, since there's so many of them.

One of my favorite starters is the Chikorita line and I don't get why a lot of people bash it. Another one of my favorites, oddly enough, is both Wobbuffet and Dunsparce. I can understand why people don't like them (especially Dunsparce), but I still like using them. Heck, I had a Wobbuffet take down legendaries in competitive play. As for Dunsparce, I never had any issues when I use him. I just wish it would get an evolution or something.

Shiny Motley

2016 Singles Football
I have a pretty soft spot for most of the Pikaclones; I know a lot of people (especially older Pokemon players) love bashing on them for being trite and stuff, but I personally find them all very adorable in their own ways. Plusle and Minun hold a very dear place in my heart, Pachirisu as well (and my love for Pachi was strengthened by Se Jun Park's little princess), Emolga is fucking awesome because it's a flying squirrel, and Dedenne is... so chubby and ♥ Same with Togedemaru! I love the little hedgehog babby lots even if its lightning rod is kinda silly x3

I dunno how much hate Leavanny gets, though I know some of my competitive friends throw out how it has two 4x weaknesses and is kinda weak in general. But I don't care. I love my stupid grass insect Pokemon.

Also I see people throwing around Tepig's name here as a Pokemon they love, and I agree! Little bacon starter is one of my favorite base starter designs (though I honestly couldn't care less for Pignite and Emboar, even if Pignite is a really punny name).

Eeveelution-wise, two of my favorites are Flareon and Glaceon, and both get shoved aside in favor of the other Eeveelutions for being "unoriginal" or "poor design" (one's just a fluffier Eevee, and the other is Umbreon with a weird hat!). And you know what? I like fluffy and Flareon was my first Eeveelution that I picked back in the day, and Glaceon's just really cool (pun completely intended) and I love its weird hat.

I've recently began to love Dunsparce a lot as well. I wholly blame the community here, @Teapot especially.

I'm just going to say it, I like Bidoof and Popplio and both for the same reasons. Their faces are so stupidly adorable I find it difficult not to love them! And while not strictly hated, just sort of...forgotten, I'm also fond of Farfetch'd, not sure why though, maybe because its name is a pun, maybe because everyone else forgot about it and I feel bad for it. Really, I always wonder why Game Freak didn't do anything with that poor thing, even in Gen 1 is was sort of just a rare Pokemon, but not very strong, never really seemed to have much of a purpose, even its Pokedex entries are harsh on the poor fella.

And while not strictly hated, just sort of...forgotten, I'm also fond of Farfetch'd, not sure why though, maybe because its name is a pun, maybe because everyone else forgot about it and I feel bad for it. Really, I always wonder why Game Freak didn't do anything with that poor thing, even in Gen 1 is was sort of just a rare Pokemon, but not very strong, never really seemed to have much of a purpose, even its Pokedex entries are harsh on the poor fella.
I will second Farfetch'd, though I will disagree about it not having much of a purpose. For me it has become an almost essential part of my runthroughs in later gens. Cut, Fly, Thief, and False Swipe all on one Pokemon is pretty darn useful for getting around, catching Pokes, and swiping Heart Scales. In gen 6 when I'm not doing E4 runs or Battle Maison I just run around with my Lv.100 Farfetch'd (yeah... Lv.100:blush:). Definitely unloved, yet essential for my purposes.

Oddly enough,a lot of people bash both the eevee evolutions from gen,what was it?I think it might've been four or five?Or they at least don't talk about them.I literally see people bashing glaceon every time i turn around,and Leafeon seems to have been confined to that small room at the end of the hall where they put all the pokemon people don't particularly want to talk about so that nobody will ever know of them.I've also loved Sylveon,though people either have mixed feelings about it,or they hate it.
Aside from eeveelutions,i find myself using a zubat a lot.People call zubat annoying,but it can be pretty useful when it evolves or is trained up right.In this one fan made game,i always find myself using a crobat,who i caught as a,well,zubat.I didn't even want to catch him,but i was so close to the exite and didn't wanna take time to defeat him,but after i caught him he became one of the pokemon i love,and his species became number four on my favorites list.

For me, i like basically all the b&w pokemon. I watched the anime in full, all the episodes and movies, and fell in love with all of the pokemon. I have definitely seen most or all of the b&w pokemon get some sort of hate on them, for mostly no reason. Yeah maybe some designs were a bit uncreative (looking at the icecream cones, they definitely are hated), but i think the designs were cool and fit in well with the different areas of Unova. Like Pidove in the city area, is based off of pigeons in the actual real life city. The ideas are creative and thought put well, in my opinion. This generation even has my favorite pokemon in it, Whimsicott! In conclusion, b&w pokemon are usually disliked for “bad design”, but i appreciate all of the designs and think that none of them are unoriginal, or bad.

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
I find most people don’t know why Heatmor exists. But it’s an awesome Pokémon. Look at its movepool! Look at its shiny. I find it weird that people don’t like it. The same goes for Cryogonal, but it’s shiny isn’t really that good. It looks pretty damn huggable though.

TRUBBISH! I LOVE MY LITTLE TRASH BOY!!!! give him more love.... Please.
I also like a lot of Unova pokes, which many people seem to bash on. But it had MANY interesting and clever designs, and I personally liked that there weren't any old Pokemon in the first BW games. Made me feel like I was rediscovering Pokemon since everything was new, although it wasn't in the same way.

Grass starters! Especially Meganium! How can you hate this big flower dino, look at his face. Look at it. He never did anything wrong in his entire life. Leave him alone, please. It's design is simple, but at the same time beautiful and ughfhsj I want a Meganium in real life. Objectively, it is the worst starter of all (no advantage in Johto gyms AT ALL), but. How can you hate him????

I like ditto, and no. I don't use my ditto to get shinies or for specific natures/characteristics. I would never do such a heinous thing to my precious little ditto!

I'll add Magneton to my list. I never see Magneton or Magnezone in battle, but after using Magneton in my last runthrough of Red and current runthrough of LGP/E I'm loving it. I've never put much thought to how high it's Sp.Atk is, but it hits like a truck and it's defensive stats don't *seem* to be as bad as they look on paper (is it just me?). If it's in the upcoming games I'm definitely adding one to my team. Magneton + Eviolite... >:D

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
@glaman5266 its not necessarily unpopular, but it is definitely uncommon. I really like the Magnet Trio, particularly Magnezone, and they’re actually some of the best Electric type Pokémon in the game because of their typing and defensive stats. I always use Magnezone on Gen 4 play throughs and Magneton on Gen 1 play throughs(it’s part of both of those team setups)

As for a few Pokémon that I like that others don’t, Sigilyph is high up there cause it’s basically God tier Gen 5 Pokémon that most people don’t recognize. It looks cool, all of its abilities are really good, it’s special attack and special move pool are insane, and overall it’s just a good Pokémon.

Also, I tend to like Delphox. Delphox is my 3rd favorite Pokémon, and I’ve used it personally. While it does make sense why people call it the worst starter, it doesn’t really feel that bad after that.

the main one that comes to me is Purrbeauty as I call it (purugly is the name)
could be that I love cats, and one of my felines, yes slightly over fluffed reacts in a similar way, its so warm and cozy
and love its cute design
d4txyb9-cc334f70-d0d3-4c80-b96c-eb34504b8a26.jpg

purugly_by_miniatureowl_d38jwst-fullview.jpg

dxt4xo-feacefff-73e7-4a91-9259-387c858f3f4b.jpg

aurivee_

Previously EeviumZ
I haven't seen a lot of love for Absol in the Pokemon community, but I really love it. Appearance-wise, it's just so majestic - especially with its Mega. I love the lore behind it, it has a lot more development than a lot of 'mons do. It's not the best competitively (although I use it occasionally just for fun), but I don't care. ^.^

Shikowara

Previously Lily May
I do agree with you on Trubbish, its adorable!
People also hate Mr. Mime and Mime Jr. I love them! They are so funny and cute too!
I also have a soft spot for Whismur. :halo::love:

chib

Previously chibighost
i wouldn't say people hate whismur, it'd its evolutions they don't like.
i love stunfisk, dhelmise, cryogonal, and alolan exeggutor

TheJustinMann

Previously TheJustinMan
@chib stunfisk I love cause it's really silly as a design and Cryogonal is my 5th favorite Pokemon of all time. Cryogonal looks really damn huggable, too. (Sorry, but it does.)

Chikorita! I haven't used it in the Johto region but i have a Meganium in X, and it really cute, and it has a nice moveset! Also, togepi may not be very powerful, but it's extremely cute!

Dunsparce. This deserves an evoloution or at least a regional variant. It's cute but weak. If it does get an evolution, it better become a giant Normal/Dragon type. It'll be like a Magikarp.
i quite like dunsparce, i have one in alola. it’s attack depends on the moves it learns i’d say, but the overall defense is kind of neutral to me